PDA

View Full Version : Book of therian 'stories' - details

UnknownTherian
March 24th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Everyone who commented on my thread about a therian book (http://www.werelist.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32619) liked the idea, so now I think we need to clear up some details.

How many of you on the Werelist actually want to do this book?
If you do, comment here. I don't know how many people are on the website, perhaps hundreds, and if this is going to work we need almost everyone to help in some way or another. Tell your friends! If they like it, ask them to comment here too.

While that is being sorted, if this book were to be made there are a lot of things that are unknown at the moment:

1) What should the title be?
2) Should something be written at the back of the book (blurb)? What would be written?
3) Will there be cover illustrations? Will there be illustrations in the book?
4) What will the format be like?
5) Should there be a foreword? Who should write it?
6) How long should the book be? How many writings will be in the book?
7) And of course, who will organise all of this?

There are many other things of course, but those will have to be clarified later. Many good suggestions on funding/costs have been given on the original thread, but if you have more suggestions than feel free to give them!

To be fair, things like titles, illustrations, formats ..etc. could be submitted and then voted for by everyone, but this is only a suggestion.

I do have one other thing I'd like to ask, who feels that it is best for a wide variety of theriotypes to be covered in the book? E.g. at least one reptile article. That way everyone gets a say?

Please give any opinions or suggestions you have!

ShadowWalker
March 24th, 2013, 04:38 AM
I do! And uh, I hope this wasn't taking liberties, but I mentioned it off site to a couple of people and they loved the idea too. I'm not sure any of them have accounts on Werelist, but if they do I'll point them here.

1) I guess you're taking suggestions here. How about 'Under(neath) the Skin'? It's a nod towards the old trial idea you could tell a werewolf because they had fur under their skin, and Ahkila's essay 'Feathers' comes to mind, where she talk about clawing at the skin and the idea of finding something underneath.

2) I'll leave this to people who have better ideas than me XD Not a clue.

3) A cover illustration would be nice. If we're going with the ebook format, it'll be in black and white, so I think perhaps deciding on a proper cover would be more important if it was also going to be sold as a physical book as well. (On this note, doesn't Amazon offer opportunities to self publish ebooks?)

4) Once again, no idea. I suppose structural wise it depends on the content, with a chapter for experiences, chapter for poetry/prose, chapter for philosophical ideas etc.

5) If there were to be a foreward, it should probably be a brief explanation of therianthropy. Considering most if not all people who buy the book are going to be quite familiar with it, it seems uneccessary to have an entire chapter devoted to an explanation for people who aren't. Although maybe that is good. I don't know XD

6) As long as is reasonable and gets all the good stuff in? I think this would depend on how many submissions we get and the quality of submissions. You're probably looking at around 50,000 words?

7) You seem to be doing a pretty good job :P

I'd also like to say, that maybe there could be an option for submission to be anonymous or submitted under a aliasis? That way, there's no bias among the voters for one thing, but also you guys are quite scary and submitting your work under your own account to be judged could put a couple of people off (including myself, admittedly). If works could be emailed to a person, and then the reciever could put them up anonymously, it would be a good alternative for us horribly shy people. And if a work was chosen the author could come forward to work with everybody else on editing/be paired up with an editor.

It'd probably be good to get quite a bit of variation, but I think originallity of ideas/topic and quality are more important.

Savage
March 24th, 2013, 04:55 AM
The project is very unlikely to work effectively by committee or votes. The trick will be to get people seriously committed who have the skills and real life professional experience to actually do this thing, and let them run with it.

I reluctantly qualify. I'd prefer to take a back seat if there's anyone else who a) has the relevant professional skills and b) the ability to realistically assess how much time such a project will take and the time to follow through.

UnknownTherian
March 24th, 2013, 05:33 AM
ShadowWalker:

And uh, I hope this wasn't taking liberties, but I mentioned it off site to a couple of people and they loved the idea too. I'm not sure any of them have accounts on Werelist, but if they do I'll point them here.
Not at all, this helps actually!

I guess you're taking suggestions here. How about 'Under(neath) the Skin'?
Sounds good. Also it could relate to the fact that some of us feel we have non-human souls. ;)

a chapter for experiences, chapter for poetry/prose, chapter for philosophical ideas etc.
Yes, that's what I was thinking.

If there were to be a foreward, it should probably be a brief explanation of therianthropy. Considering most if not all people who buy the book are going to be quite familiar with it, it seems uneccessary to have an entire chapter devoted to an explanation for people who aren't.
That seems reasonable.

You seem to be doing a pretty good job
Really? Thanks.

I'd also like to say, that maybe there could be an option for submission to be anonymous or submitted under a aliasis? That way, there's no bias among the voters for one thing, but also you guys are quite scary and submitting your work under your own account to be judged could put a couple of people off (including myself, admittedly). If works could be emailed to a person, and then the reciever could put them up anonymously, it would be a good alternative for us horribly shy people. And if a work was chosen the author could come forward to work with everybody else on editing/be paired up with an editor.
I think that's an excellent idea! I'm sure the others will appreciate it.

Savage:

The project is very unlikely to work effectively by committee or votes. The trick will be to get people seriously committed who have the skills and real life professional experience to actually do this thing, and let them run with it.
Now that I think about it, you're right. It could take a really long time if everything was put to vote, and might not work as well... Would a few things be voted for though? So it would be fair?

I reluctantly qualify. I'd prefer to take a back seat if there's anyone else who a) has the relevant professional skills and b) the ability to realistically assess how much time such a project will take and the time to follow through.
You'd be a great help though. Also I would like to ask, who would put together the team to do the book? Could I be in the team? I don't have any professional qualifications with writing aside from writing in the school paper for one year, which can barely be counted, but I'd like very much to be a part of this.

ShadowWalker
March 24th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Perhaps a Skype group or email group of some kind for people willing to commit a lot of time and effort into it, as well as the relevant skills? And personally I think you should be in the team - it's your idea, after all, and you're currently the one organising it ^^

Savage
March 24th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Perhaps a Skype group or email group of some kind for people willing to commit a lot of time and effort into it, as well as the relevant skills? And personally I think you should be in the team - it's your idea, after all, and you're currently the one organising it ^^

I won't Skype for privacy reasons, unless it's chat only. No voice, no face. But I'm not hopping up and down wildly to be on the team, just offering if it's really needed because I actually do have the professional experience editing and preparing manuscripts for publication.

Raqui
March 24th, 2013, 06:09 PM
I might have to sit this one out. I don't have the time right now to commit to it.

Crowsong
March 24th, 2013, 06:13 PM
I'm very interested.

1) I'm terrible with titles, but I honestly feel something good will come once we get things going. A title is not that important right now.
2) Yes, something about therianthropy and the community, probably.
3) Hmm, I don't know, I think it probably depends on how the writings and actual book turns out. Again, that's probably something we'll want to discuss more later.
4) I think the different types of pieces should be organized as such and so there is some order to it and not just random pieces.
5) I have no idea about this one.
6) Well, we should first see how many people want to and do offer pieces, how long those are, how long most companies will publish (from what I've seen, plenty of publishers have a length limit of some sort)
7) I am willing to take charge. Do I have experience? Well, not really, all I've done is write some novels and I'm talking to some publishers, but I can't say I have much experience or anything in this area. Still, its sort of what I want to do with my life, so why not go for this now?

Savage
March 24th, 2013, 06:25 PM
I would suggest that the criteria for the steering committee be:

1. Keep it small and focused. Doing ANYTHING by committee, especially if you need to coordinate long distance communication, takes longer and can get bogged down and sink under its own weight very easily. People can get involved on the writing or assisting end without needing to be on the decision making end. I think it would be a bad mistake to actually run and manage this by committee, as opposed to having one to at most three or four people functioning as editors and proofreaders making decisions about what material to keep, what to cut, and how to typeset it for e-book publication.

2. Real life experience is crucial. If you do not have people on board who have actual editing, proofreading or typesetting skills, you are not going to have a professional quality product at the end. Creating an e-book is not the same as posting on a forum.

3. The majority of the folks who want to help absolutely can help, by submitting material and helping with initial editing and proofing for each other's work. But you can't make the majority of folks decision makers, or it's either not going to get done or it will get done in a much less consistent and professional way.

Ashen
March 24th, 2013, 07:14 PM
While that is being sorted, if this book were to be made there are a lot of things that are unknown at the moment:

2) Should something be written at the back of the book (blurb)? What would be written?

I'd be willing to help how I can, but don't have professional editing or publishing experience. I do have a few poems from when I was young that could be added to the poetry section as well as a few stories

as for your questions... I think the bulk of the book should be put together before things like the front/back cover/title/etc are figured out. As well as length... start collecting stories and putting them together.. see how long it turns out then edit it down if needed. Also some things could be done as bullet points.. like some of the stories/snipets from threads like embarrassing shifting stories. *shrugs*:rolleyes:

Velvet Wings
March 24th, 2013, 08:24 PM
How many of you on the Werelist actually want to do this book?

I'd be happy to submit some writings for the book, however I don't feel I have the experience or the time to help with editing/publication etc...

cheetah
March 24th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Akhila is male.

1) Under the Skin sounds good.
2) Sure, but I don't know what it would be.
3) Yes and yes, I think. Images, as they say, can be worth a thousand words, at least when they're done right. Given that we have many artists in the community, illustrations shouldn't be impossible to come by.
4) Organized by theme, actually, is what I would suggest, with thematically appropriate title for the sections. Like 'feral', 'community', 'wanderings', etc. Under each would be a short blurb. Like for feral it might be 'Being animal', for community it might be 'Because we are never alone', for wanderings it might be 'Alienation is inevitable'... that sort of stuff. I don't suggest that the blurbs there be used necessarily, given that I just made them up out of thin air.
5) There should be a foreword, I think. I would be willing to write it. Examples of my work can be found on my site and deviantArt.
6) Don't know. I'd say that the maximum should be around 400 or so pages, though (and we could make that).
7) See below.

My mother is an editor. I suppose I could volunteer to help with editing and rope my mother into assisting me with that part, though I'll have to discuss the concept with her.

Crowsong
March 24th, 2013, 09:06 PM
I'm not going to lie, I would really like to have a fairly big role in this. I can put the pieces together in a good order, keep in touch with everyone involved, etc. I'd really like to be in that sort of a role. I understand that because I don't have much experience means you all might be a bit skeptical of my abilities, but I really want to be a big help with this project. I know for fact I have the determination to see it though.

House of Chimeras
March 24th, 2013, 09:26 PM
We are interested in the project idea.

Most books need some sort of cover illustration and back cover description. If we wish to have it published possibility that will likely be needed if not perhaps required. What the back describes with depend on what the contents of the book end up being and as for a front cover image my own strong opinion is that is very open and diverse if somehow images of animals get incorporated into it in some way and not just all predatory mammals.

We might be willing to help with some editing or offering writings though due to real life time restraints and our own trouble with grammar sometimes we couldn’t do a lot.

We have written a number of essays, stories (both slice of life and narratives of real-life experiences), and so on. However some of our best work so far has been non-therian otherkin related and so would fall outside the lines of this book.

- Pantairin

ShadowWalker
March 25th, 2013, 02:43 AM
Finding people with the relevant skils might be the problem. Cheetah, your mother being an editor could be a massive help if there's nobody within the community with any kind of experience, but that's entirely up to whether you and her feel about working on it.

Natsilani
March 25th, 2013, 01:32 PM
I would like to chime in as a writer if I could. I can edit if need be but I'd rather not as I'm not confident that I'm much good at it. I have limited real-life stories, because my shifts are seldom and far between, but I do have some. My forte is as a fiction writer, and I think I could offer some poems or perhaps a short story.

I think the Skype group would be a fantastic idea, and yes, I agree with Savage that text is probably the best way to go; no video or mic. This would be for the sake of simplicity as well as anonymity. Plus some of us, such as yours truly, don't have a web cam or a mic. I think the Skype would be a great way to talk among the people who are going to help with the project, and help as a way to share ideas and organize in real-time.

Edit: I'm into art aswell, so I can do illustrations if need be. However, I am colourblind so most of the work I do is in black and white. For that reason I'd rather not do the cover, but I can do other stuff if you need it. I should have some albums on my profile page if you want to see a bit of my work

yourdeer
March 25th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I think a wide variety of theriotypes would be very important, and I'd be willing to contribute a story or stories, particularly for deer and horse.

I'd also be happy to help out with illustrations/cover art - I'm working on stretching my rusty drawing muscles lately and perhaps by the time this became a reality, my skills would be strong enough to do those things justice.

My roommate/best friend is a publishing major and skilled copy-editor, and while I doubt she would contribute without pay, I might be able to seek some advice from her if there are specific questions that arise.

elinox
March 25th, 2013, 03:49 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm interested in helping. I was an English major and I actually write by profession, plus I enjoy editing/proofreading so I can help with that too.

"Under the Skin" is fine.

A table of contents is a must, and I think organizing it via theme within each chapter would be good too. A section on things like phantom limbs, mental shifting, dysmphoria, etc. could be larger categories.

Maybe not a forward, but definitely a basic introduction including a loose definition of common terms found throughout. I would find a glossary very useful, although the problem with that is that not everyone agrees on the definition of certain terms.

As long as is practical? 1,000 isn't, but 200 is doable I think. This will depend entirely on how many things are submitted to be included. Speaking of submissions, are there going to be certain criteria people must meet to be included or would we simply add everyone's work? If the former, who gets to determine what is good enough to go into the book or not? And if the later, it will seem less...professional and more 'fun project'. I was hoping for more of a professional end result.

7) And of course, who will organize all of this?
I would tend to agree with Savage that while a voting committee is a nice idea, it takes forever to actually DO anything that way. I think a small group of dedicated, intelligent people who know what they're doing should be in charge, taking input and then turning out the best thing for the community.

While I certainly don't want to be in charge (I simply don't have the real life time for that), I am interested in being involved, perhaps even heavily so.

Most books need some sort of cover illustration and back cover description. If we wish to have it published possibility that will likely be needed if not perhaps required. What the back describes with depend on what the contents of the book end up being...

The back description of the book will be easy once the entire thing has come together and is organized.

As for cover art, I can help with that as well if need be. While my artistic style isn't so much drawing-related, it is stylistic and I specialize in tribal art and digital designs like this (http://pleisarpup.deviantart.com/art/Green-Fur-63582839).

cheetah
March 25th, 2013, 05:34 PM
I want there to be, if not criteria for a person to meet, at least a very selective process in choosing the works.

Kaldin
March 25th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I would love to help. I have writing and editing experience. Informal, though - not professional. I have samples that I can privately show you.

yourdeer
March 25th, 2013, 10:31 PM
I want there to be, if not criteria for a person to meet, at least a very selective process in choosing the works.

I agree. And rigorous copy-editing is a must. Nothing shows poor publishing craft like a lack of copy-editing.

Savage
March 25th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Okay. First thing we'd need is a file/text sharing area with the ability to include attachments. We can use Google Docs/Google Drive, or I can set up a forum here. Anyone can submit art, articles, poetry, essays, etc, but the selection and editing process is going to be crucial.

A reasonable working title might be Under The Skin: Therian Community Voices.

We do not need Lulu. No point in it. We can typeset it ourselves in ebook format, and set up a cart function to 'sell' it on a sliding scale (which should probably include 'free').

yourdeer
March 26th, 2013, 07:32 AM
My fox roommate said if it is in ebook format, she might volunteer to do the coding - it's one of her favorite processes.

UnknownTherian
March 26th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Sorry for not replying yesterday..

Perhaps a Skype group or email group of some kind for people willing to commit a lot of time and effort into it, as well as the relevant skills?
Smart, but as Savage said, it would be text only. Savage's other idea about the committee sounds like our best option.

So far the committee would be...? And who's organising the committee? Do you just put yourself in?

Everything else sounds good too. Sorry I can't write about anything else but I don't have time. I'll write more tomorrow.

Lindiel
March 26th, 2013, 10:20 AM
So far the committee would be...? And who's organising the committee? Do you just put yourself in?

If anyone could just put themselves into the committee, we'd end up with a really large committee... thus defeating the purpose of having a committee in the first place, haha.

Elinox, yourdeer, and Savage (if xe's willing) definitely have my vote for committee members. All three have relevant schooling/experience and I trust them to make wise and professional choices. I would also support Cheetah; he has valuable resources to lend editing-wise and I trust him to act objectively and maturely.

As much as I'd love to play a bigger role in this myself, I don't have any experience and my lack of internet connection would make it exceedingly difficult. If we decide to go through a peer-editing phase, I would gladly participate in that, though.

elinox
March 26th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Okay. First thing we'd need is a file/text sharing area with the ability to include attachments. We can use Google Docs/Google Drive, or I can set up a forum here. Anyone can submit art, articles, poetry, essays, etc, but the selection and editing process is going to be crucial.

I've set up a Google Doc folder and shared it with the committee so far. I should be able to easily add/change this if need be. So far, the committee is comprised of: Savage (only for final stages and only if absolutely necessary), yourdeer, UnknownTherian, cheetah, lemurflight, kaldin and me. Did I miss anyone?

Since we'll also need a place for submissions from general members, would it be possible to also have a subforum here? Then the committee can take the stuff from here and edit it in the Google Docs.

EDIT: Actually, I'm pretty sure I can create a subforum here if that's the route we want to take. Don't want to bog Savage down with extra work! If a subforum, like Project Shift in the Media subsection, works for the site, I should be able to create it.

yourdeer
March 26th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the Google doc, Elinox!
Should we set up any protocol for editing it? Should the questions be answered in the document, or should we continue to answer them here?

Lindiel, I hope you can stay involved as much as you can, too! Peer editing is probably a good idea.

I'm thinking it would make sense to proceed by:
1: Establishing criteria for included writings
2: Putting a call out for those writings (and deciding where to put that call - just Werelist? Other forums/sites?)

Question: Should we seek out existing writings that may have already been inspirational to us or things we like and contact the authors about including their work?

I think everything else follows - once we know what the materials are that we have to work with, we'll have a better idea of how to arrange, edit, describe, and so on.

EDIT: I realized I haven't answered the original questions. Here's my input:

I like "Under the Skin" and agree with Savage that a subtitle might be good, though that might be better to decide on after the materials are already gathered and chosen - perhaps some unifying factor that would make a perfect subtitle will rear its head.

Yes, and again, I think it best to decide this after the writings are chosen.

Yes to cover illustrations, maybe to inside illustrations. I think it would be okay to allow submissions of illustrations if people have them to offer, and then decide whether to include them afterwards.

This could go a lot of ways. I kind of like the idea of categories based on experiences.

I think it might be nice to have one. Perhaps once all the compiling is done, we will have something to say based on what's included, or the process of putting it together, or the community experience of working on this.

I think that depends entirely on what is submitted.

This seems to be working itself out as we go with Elinox's Google Doc. :)

elinox
March 26th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Should we set up any protocol for editing it? Should the questions be answered in the document, or should we continue to answer them here?

Here's how I would do it: with a subforum here with the appropriate criteria outlined, we open submissions. I think a hard deadline for when to no longer accept submissions is a must as we don't want someone coming in 4 months down the road complaining they want a piece in this when it's simply too late for the committee to make it possible. And while advertising on other sites would certainly get the word out, since this is a Werelist project (hopefully with proceeds benefiting us here) I think it should be Werelist member-centric. So mentioning it other places would be fine, but asking for input not so much. But for example, if someone from OKP wants to write something therian-related, they can submit it here if they're a member.

I am also highly in favor of keeping the community aware of how the project is going, so updates in the subforum would also be done. Things like editing, final written piece choices, organization, etc. should be done via the Google Docs. Separating the actual work from all the ideas, if you will.

1: Establishing criteria for included writings

I don't think length is an issue, as long as someone isn't coming in with a research length piece. Poems, personal anecdotes and therian-related thoughts are what I think would be most appropriate. Personally, I don't think there needs to be essays or articles like 'what's a therian?' or 'this is what mental shifting is'. More along the lines of 'wolf feels like this' or a poem about flying, etc.

Basic criteria: spellchecked grammar, therian experience (poem or anecdote). We could get more specific, like no longer than 500 words, but I don't know what else should be the criteria.

Question: Should we seek out existing writings that may have already been inspirational to us or things we like and contact the authors about including their work?

I like this idea, simply because there are personal pieces out there I've read which are exactly what I think others would enjoy too. However, this then runs into two issues. 1. who contacts the original author? and 2. if this is a Werelist project, what if the original author isn't a member here?

ShadowWalker
March 26th, 2013, 02:33 PM
(I'm going to put my two cents in seeing as it's still open for discussion here :))

I don't think putting a word limit is a good idea, because writings can vary massivly. If a piece is far too long but still very well written and interesting, the author can always be contacted to work a way around cutting it down. Whether we ask around depends on whether it is going to be Werelist focused or not. Personally I reckon you're going to get more submissions and a wider range if you put the call out there, but it depends really on what you want.

I'm really interested in this and so would love to see updates within the subforum about progress and the like :)

I'd still lean towards the option for anonymous entries on an optional basis. You're not losing anything by creating a group Gmail account for people to submit entries to, but again that probably depends on if it's a Werelist project or not - and even if it is, it might be a good idea anyway.

If there's an interested party who isn't a member on Werelist, or someone who's work you completely adore who isn't a member, I don't think that should restrict your choice of work. Ideally we want the very best collection, so it seems a bit off to restrict yourself from certain works.

Also, a question, would you place a restriction on the number of entires per person? (I think that might be a good idea, but up to you)

yourdeer
March 26th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Here's how I would do it: with a subforum here with the appropriate criteria outlined, we open submissions. I think a hard deadline for when to no longer accept submissions is a must as we don't want someone coming in 4 months down the road complaining they want a piece in this when it's simply too late for the committee to make it possible. And while advertising on other sites would certainly get the word out, since this is a Werelist project (hopefully with proceeds benefiting us here) I think it should be Werelist member-centric. So mentioning it other places would be fine, but asking for input not so much. But for example, if someone from OKP wants to write something therian-related, they can submit it here if they're a member.

I am also highly in favor of keeping the community aware of how the project is going, so updates in the subforum would also be done. Things like editing, final written piece choices, organization, etc. should be done via the Google Docs. Separating the actual work from all the ideas, if you will.
This all sounds good to me. Deadline and community awareness sound great.
I think "If you're a WL member, you can submit," is probably fair...? If people from elsewhere really wanted to participate, then they might join us here anyway if they weren't members already, and I see no harm in that. Though I think ShadowWalker has an excellent point above about a wider sample space garnering more/better works... I guess it depends how much emphasis is desired on "Werelist community works" verses "Therian community works." Not sure what would be better.

I don't think length is an issue, as long as someone isn't coming in with a research length piece. Poems, personal anecdotes and therian-related thoughts are what I think would be most appropriate. Personally, I don't think there needs to be essays or articles like 'what's a therian?' or 'this is what mental shifting is'. More along the lines of 'wolf feels like this' or a poem about flying, etc.

Basic criteria: spellchecked grammar, therian experience (poem or anecdote). We could get more specific, like no longer than 500 words, but I don't know what else should be the criteria.

I love anthologies that have a mix of long and short entries. I'd be hesitant to exclude longer essays, though I guess "research-length" would be a bit much. Still, there might be a 10-pager out there that's really fantastic, and I'd hate to tell someone they can't enter it.

I like this idea, simply because there are personal pieces out there I've read which are exactly what I think others would enjoy too. However, this then runs into two issues. 1. who contacts the original author? and 2. if this is a Werelist project, what if the original author isn't a member here?
1: Whoever thinks the essay should be submitted or "nominated."
2: I guess that's complicated. Perhaps if two or three people all "nominate" a non-Werelister essay, we could reach out to the author about inclusion?

cheetah
March 26th, 2013, 05:08 PM
T1: Whoever thinks the essay should be submitted or "nominated."

Of course, there could be problems with who nominates the essays. For instance, do we want to have it so people can only nominate essays they didn't write? Or should it be that you can nominate your own stuff, but it won't be considered unless a second person seconds your nomination?

Moreover, for any of us that are both writers and are on the committee, we'll have to figure out how to handle any conflicts of interest.

2: I guess that's complicated. Perhaps if two or three people all "nominate" a non-Werelister essay, we could reach out to the author about inclusion?

We might also want to post announcements on AQ and similar communities. There's a lot of really good stuff there, and the fact that somebody's not involved in the Werelist doesn't seem like a very good reason not to at least ask.

yourdeer
March 26th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Of course, there could be problems with who nominates the essays. For instance, do we want to have it so people can only nominate essays they didn't write? Or should it be that you can nominate your own stuff, but it won't be considered unless a second person seconds your nomination?
I guess we could leave the "nominating" exclusive to non-Werelister essays. Everyone else can just submit their own writings? I guess since there was the question of existing writings from people who aren't active here (or are active in the community at large much less) those writers wouldn't have the same chance to come forward, so "nominating" their work would be someone else coming forward for them. However, people active here probably don't need the same level of reaching-out-to, so they can submit their own at will. I'm struggling with feeling articulate about this thought - am I being more clear about this than I'm thinking? Haha.

Moreover, for any of us that are both writers and are on the committee, we'll have to figure out how to handle any conflicts of interest.

It should be fine for decision-makers to submit work, though - it'll just be a matter of evaluating fairly (everyone on the committee other than the submittor evaluates it, perhaps?). I think we're a mature and fair-minded enough group of people not to end up with one or two writer(s) heavily outweighing anyone else for content, whether they're on the committee or not.

We might also want to post announcements on AQ and similar communities. There's a lot of really good stuff there, and the fact that somebody's not involved in the Werelist doesn't seem like a very good reason not to at least ask.
I was thinking about AQ too. I'm biased, since it was my first "in" to the therian community, but I think there is a lot compiled there that would be good to ask the authors for.
I was also thinking about tumblr. For all that the "community" part of it is just abysmal (*shudder*), there are individuals there who might have really great things to add who are not forum-users.
Like I said, I don't know how much the original idea was meant to emphasize Werelist as a community, or reach out to therians in general. I'd be happy with either the more focused or the broader approach; it doesn't matter either way to me.

cheetah
March 26th, 2013, 10:55 PM
It should be fine for decision-makers to submit work, though - it'll just be a matter of evaluating fairly (everyone on the committee other than the submittor evaluates it, perhaps?). I think we're a mature and fair-minded enough group of people not to end up with one or two writer(s) heavily outweighing anyone else for content, whether they're on the committee or not.

Good, though we could also possibly set limits on how much work can get into the book from a single person?

Savage
March 27th, 2013, 12:37 AM
I don't think putting a word limit is a good idea, because writings can vary massivly. If a piece is far too long but still very well written and interesting, the author can always be contacted to work a way around cutting it down.

Cost of printing is a huge factor. Costs have to be kept down in a physical print edition, which means we have a hard word limit or no one will be able to afford the print book.

Whether we ask around depends on whether it is going to be Werelist focused or not. Personally I reckon you're going to get more submissions and a wider range if you put the call out there, but it depends really on what you want.

Er, Werelist only sort of has 'membership' in the sense that if you want an account here and are not a spammer, a troll, a media shill or breaking any laws by being here, you can have one. I see no reason to restrict it any, but for practical purposes if we do some of the discussion and post submissions on a subforum here, folks who want to participate will need an account for it to be practical.

We aren't a club or a clique or anything like that, and honestly I can't see giving a damn whether the participants in this project are forum regulars here or not. It would be useful if they made an account here so they could post on discussions of the project here, but not absolutely crucial if they just wanted to email their stuff to someone else who did. *shrug* Truly does not matter where the voices are from as long as they are therian community voices.

UnknownTherian
March 27th, 2013, 05:25 AM
Don't really have much else to add but I do have a suggestion.. Shouldn't people on the Werelist be able nominate writings from other Werelist users? For example, a person could've written an essay here, and thought it wasn't that good, because they were shy or underconfident. Other people could think it was very good, and maybe it is very good, and then nominate it for the book.
Other than this I agree with most of everything else.

Also how do I access the google document?

Akhila
March 27th, 2013, 08:05 AM
I have absolutely no time to help organize the project and everything, but I wanted to let you know:

- you have my blessing to post a call for submissions on Animal Quills

- I'm willing to offer my participation writing-wise (what article I'd submit also depends on what you have so far, ie. what is needed; the topics I've covered on my website are diverse. Input welcome! )

It's best to keep in touch with me through Dreamwidth or e-mail though because I don't check the Werelist that much.

elinox
March 27th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Also how do I access the google document?

Since you don't have a gmail account, you should still be able to accept the email to view/edit it. (I double checked on this before with Yahoo before I created it, dunno about Hotmail though.) You should have received an email from me; open it and then click on the link. It should then open into the Doc. If you're still having trouble, let me know via PM.

It's best to keep in touch with me through Dreamwidth or e-mail though because I don't check the Werelist that much.

I'll make sure you're aware of goings-on. ;)

cheetah
March 27th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Okay, does anyone have a more concrete idea than I do about what our word limit would be? Or should I ask my mother?

Savage
March 27th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Okay, does anyone have a more concrete idea than I do about what our word limit would be? Or should I ask my mother?

No, but this is how you find out.

1. Poll the market to see what the max is people will pay for a print book as opposed to an ebook, which will cost us nothing but time to produce and which we can give away for minimal donations (or for nothing) on a sliding scale.
2. Go comparison shopping to find out what the max word length is to print a book at that cost.

KaraWolfDragon
April 1st, 2013, 01:48 PM
I came up with the title "Animal Within" because that's how most therians (if not all) describe themselves. But that was because I had an idea about a few months ago that I or someone could make a series of books, like the Chicken Soup books or something, all based on therians and their experiences, and some of them could be true stories, some just fiction.

It could be info on therians or something? Idk...

Yes, cover illustrations!! Some illustrations in the book would be nice, maybe like one picture for each story or something, for the people that like therians stories but don't exactly like a bunch of words and nothing to really look at.

I'm no good with the format and stuff...

It could be a dedication to all therians and otherkin or something. Everyone could help write it, I guess... Like we could vote on something.

There could be a series of books instead, you know, like Chicken Soup, as I've mentioned before. There are probably a lot of therians and otherkin who would like to have one of their writings in the book, so I'd suggest more than one book...

Hell if I know :o If there's anything I could do to help, I will, though. ^^ Maybe you should make a website for this.

Also: Will it just be non-fiction writings? What type of writings? People's stories and experiences? And about what, just everything about being a therian or otherkin, anything from awakening to detailed shifts?

hotdogwolf
April 1st, 2013, 02:21 PM
Hey I got a question. In the book, Will there be any therian meantion by name like in the therian lecture or will they be anonymous.

Crowsong
April 1st, 2013, 02:23 PM
Hey I got a question. In the book, Will there be any therian meantion by name like in the therian lecture.

I imagine each piece will have an author listed, be it name or pseudonym, I'm not sure.

yourdeer
April 1st, 2013, 03:08 PM
We can ask whether the author wants to go by their forum handle/therian name, or by their actual name, or remain anonymous.