Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Rain (Manga/Anime series)

Default Wolf's Rain (Manga/Anime series)

Go on, what with all the talk about it on other forums I'm suprised I'm the first to make a general post on it! ^^

When I visited Singapore I spotted the Wolf's Rain manga (both of them XD) and picked them up. I also found the first four episodes on DVD by chance in a trade in store. I think it's a pretty interesting series but it seems to demonise the main characters as much as it supports them to me.

Any thoughts from you? It's interesting to hear what the wolf therians think of it!
    [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]
    "People only conserve what we love. We love only what we understand. We understand only what we are taught."
    [/FONT]

I think it's fantastic that it's not all 'the protagonists must seem like saints, they must never get injured or act like jerks...' I like how it's a bit rough around the edges. It's not as romanticised as alot of series' are, though we have our lovely character archetypes and Badass-wolf imagery.

Yeah, it was only a matter of time before someone made this thread, but I think It hasn't so far for one good reason:

Everybody facepalms when someone watches that anime and is 'awakened'

I'll admit it did have an effect on me, either because I wanted to be close to/ root for my own species or simply because It's a very good and incredibly emotive anime! I love it, I won't lie, but it's a bit iffy to bring up (along with the term 'roleplay') when therianthropy is in the same paragraph. Well, that's for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Agita View Post
    I think it's fantastic that it's not all 'the protagonists must seem like saints, they must never get injured or act like jerks...' I like how it's a bit rough around the edges. It's not as romanticised as alot of series' are, though we have our lovely character archetypes and Badass-wolf imagery.

Yeah, it was only a matter of time before someone made this thread, but I think It hasn't so far for one good reason:

I'll admit it did have an effect on me, either because I wanted to be close to/ root for my own species or simply because It's a very good and incredibly emotive anime! I love it, I won't lie, but it's a bit iffy to bring up (along with the term 'roleplay') when therianthropy is in the same paragraph. Well, that's for obvious reasons.
    Good point ^^ Nah, this is just general discussion isn't it? XD
    [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]
    "People only conserve what we love. We love only what we understand. We understand only what we are taught."
    [/FONT]

Wolf's Rain is pro. I think like many books or films, it has a message (or several) it's trying to give its viewers, or is commenting on something. It's not just "some anime." To me, at least, it has more meaning than that. I loved it immediately, anything about wolves makes me happy, and it was really fun to watch something where the main characters are wolves instead of people. Sure, it's a fictional story about them, but it was a fictional story in which the characters are wolves, and that resonated with me. I'd never heard of anyone being "awakened" at all, so I've never had that hangup about it. :O It was actually the first example of anything in media that I thought described the way I felt as a wolf. Like how one minute they really do look like people, and sometimes act like people, but at others, they're more animalistic and, well, wolfish. Like the scene where Toboe starts crying, but then the camera turns and he's howling. Stuff like that, I thought was a good depiction of how I felt.

And besides all that, it's a good story.

Blog Entries

I love the series. Wonderful art and design, good and engaging plot, and interesting characters all with back stories. Of course, I donít think itís the all and out best anime ever, but it is one of a few personal favorites of mine. I first watched the dubbed English version and have watched some of the original Japanese here and there (the dubbing is actually really good compared to the original dialogue). The ending of the anime still leaves me wondering what the exact implications were in the end from time to time. It really leaves your to make your own decisions.

Iíve also read the two volume manga adaptation. It a nearly a completely different plot with a fully different ending, but I still liked it a lot. The art design was really cool and the new take on the general concept of the anime in manga form was really neat.

Default Wolf's rain

I saw it a long time ago on late night Cartoon Network. It seemed to move me and I empathized deeply with it. I've always liked wolves, but seem to be more draconic and feline.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"To dream the impossible dream, to fight the unbeatable foe,
    to bear with unbearable sorrow, to run where the brave dare not go,
    To right the unrightable wrong, to love pure and chaste from afar,
    to try when your arms are too weary, to reach the unreachable star"[/FONT]

I have mixed feeling about wolfs rain... I like the anime, but it is also responsible for the...uhm..

Yes yes, I am part of that 'everybody'.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonicWolf View Post
    I have mixed feeling about wolfs rain... I like the anime, but it is also responsible for the...uhm..

Yes yes, I am part of that 'everybody'.
    Lmao, since whennn has this been happening? I never knew about stuff like that, when I saw Wolf's Rain for the first time, I was like "SHIT YEAH, THEY MADE AN ANIME ABOUT US?"

Quote Originally Posted by PhelanVelvel View Post
    Lmao, since whennn has this been happening? I never knew about stuff like that, when I saw Wolf's Rain for the first time, I was like "SHIT YEAH, THEY MADE AN ANIME ABOUT US?"
    Uh... for a while I guess. But I DO know that many people SUDDENLY became 'therian' after watching that anime, the majority of them very irrational about their beliefs.

Blog Entries

I watched the anime, in bad quality on the 'net though, would love to have it on DVD one day! The animation is good, and also the music. Sometimes, I would over-analyze it, thinking "yeah, that is pretty normal wolf behaviour" and "no, wolves are not like that". I really liked the part where Kiba dreams that he is in a pseudo paradise with a caracal girl. It opened up for the idea that there were more animals in disguise than just wolves.

I read a volume of the manga as well, but I liked the anime much better.