Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Rain (Manga/Anime series)

I used to watch that In 4th grade before it was cancled here, back before I even knew what a "furry" or "Therianthrope" Was/ment

Loved Toboe, even if I though he was a girl in his human form till he spoke. ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by PhelanVelvel View Post
    It was actually the first example of anything in media that I thought described the way I felt as a wolf. Like how one minute they really do look like people, and sometimes act like people, but at others, they're more animalistic and, well, wolfish. Like the scene where Toboe starts crying, but then the camera turns and he's howling. Stuff like that, I thought was a good depiction of how I felt.
    I agree with everything there, they are very much like us, except, they can actually p-shift! But they are wolves that can change into humans not humans who are wolves on the inside but same difference! *hugsthe anime tightly* It was also interesting that they often blurred the lines between when they were actually in their wolf forms or when the wolf inside of them was just shown to the camera and/or those observing them. It almost implies that it doesn't really matter whether they changed form, but the wolf is always there.

Oh, Dragonicwolf is right in my opinion, you'd be surprised at the volume of people who watched that anime and became 'WOLFEHS!!oneeleven'!!.

I really liked the TV series, and I found the manga at a local Barnes and Noble store, and I really liked them too. In fact, those two volumes actually drew out inspiration from me to make a few images in Digital Animation, specifically one page in the 2nd volume doing so, where the moon is blood red and really disturbing looking.

Here they are:

But yeah, great series. Just wish there had been more to the story in the Manga. Should've been a lot longer in my opinion, even though it was pretty awesome as it was.
    "Nothing is impossible, only improbable." ~Personal quote

"You have a ramen doctor at your secret ramen base?" ~Neku Sakuraba

If that manga was any longer, It would have bankrupted me! Very nice pictures again, Tax ^^

-----------------------
    Last edited by Night; June 26th, 2015 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agita View Post
    I agree with everything there, they are very much like us, except, they can actually p-shift! But they are wolves that can change into humans not humans who are wolves on the inside but same difference! *hugsthe anime tightly* It was also interesting that they often blurred the lines between when they were actually in their wolf forms or when the wolf inside of them was just shown to the camera and/or those observing them. It almost implies that it doesn't really matter whether they changed form, but the wolf is always there.

Oh, Dragonicwolf is right in my opinion, you'd be surprised at the volume of people who watched that anime and became 'WOLFEHS!!oneeleven'!!.
    The only character in the anime series that I ever saw physically shift was Darcia. All of the others weren't taking on physical human bodies, instead they were utilizing a sort of mental illusion that caused other people to view them as humans. I see a lot of people assume that the main wolf characters p-shift, but I never saw it that way, even after rewatching it, I feel the creators tried to make it clear that the wolves didn't actually have physical human bodies (even though, granted, it left some plotholes that have to be ignored about how they could perform certain tasks, yet there already has to be quite a bit of suspension of disbelief given various powers of the wolves and nobles in the series--which is fine). The illusion was also being implied when, for example, the wolf form could be seen phasing in and out of a human appearance, or there were sometimes wolf shadows coming from the seemingly human forms.

I do see how it can be an interesting idea though, to view it as them having physically shifted and that sometimes there were just inclinations of the 'inner wolf' showing through. But I ended up being the type of person who initially watched it and never thought to attribute that kind of interpretation (even if it doesn't fit some of the scenarios, such as Tsume trying to save a kid and only having his wolf mouth to grab onto the kid with).

On the subject of people seeing Wolf's Rain and then thinking they are a wolf therian: I came across a group of at least 10 or more of them back in '05 on another site, about the time I came into the therian community. They eventually dissipated and went off in different directions, in part because they tried to focus too much on trying to make an anime or roleplay out of their real lives. Though some of them were okay people, just seemingly misled and influenced by the only other people they thought were like them in the animality sense (because one or more may have actually been therians but weren't part of the therian community).
    My therianthropy writings:
    ~Check out Project Shift, and help contribute to its further development
    ~Poly'kin of: mongoose, domestic cat, domestic horse, winged theropod (erdenvogel), and vampire'kin (blutpir) [not psi/sang]

Quote Originally Posted by DragonicWolf View Post
    Uh... for a while I guess. But I DO know that many people SUDDENLY became 'therian' after watching that anime, the majority of them very irrational about their beliefs.
    Yeah. At this point I automatically facepalm every time I hear about this series in the context of therianthropy. It was a good series, but it really didn't resonate with me personally as being very therian so much as interesting mythology and a powerful storyline that happened to be about wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Yeah. At this point I automatically facepalm every time I hear about this series in the context of therianthropy. It was a good series, but it really didn't resonate with me personally as being very therian so much as interesting mythology and a powerful storyline that happened to be about wolves.
    Ditto. I didn't get much of a therian impression from it either, though I do like the story, the way it was conveyed (including with the use of wolves, albeit some other type of animal would be good as well), and some of the moral and virtuous themes it carried. Plus it had a caracal in it, which isn't a type of cat seen much in media :3.
    My therianthropy writings:
    ~Check out Project Shift, and help contribute to its further development
    ~Poly'kin of: mongoose, domestic cat, domestic horse, winged theropod (erdenvogel), and vampire'kin (blutpir) [not psi/sang]

birmingham, westmidlands, England, earth, galixy, universe

ooooo wolf's rain! *waggs tail and prances around computer*
    love it its one of my fav
    anime's! along with 'grave of the fireflys' 'wolf and spice' 'vampire knight' 'spirited away'.... lol, I love anime.

birmingham, westmidlands, England, earth, galixy, universe

lol I know that was slightly off topic but I have a nasty habit of reading the title and nothing else until after I respond :S :3