Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Rain (Manga/Anime series)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonne_Spiritwind View Post
    The only character in the anime series that I ever saw physically shift was Darcia. All of the others weren't taking on physical human bodies, instead they were utilizing a sort of mental illusion that caused other people to view them as humans. I see a lot of people assume that the main wolf characters p-shift, but I never saw it that way, even after rewatching it, I feel the creators tried to make it clear that the wolves didn't actually have physical human bodies (even though, granted, it left some plotholes that have to be ignored about how they could perform certain tasks, yet there already has to be quite a bit of suspension of disbelief given various powers of the wolves and nobles in the series--which is fine). The illusion was also being implied when, for example, the wolf form could be seen phasing in and out of a human appearance, or there were sometimes wolf shadows coming from the seemingly human forms.

I do see how it can be an interesting idea though, to view it as them having physically shifted and that sometimes there were just inclinations of the 'inner wolf' showing through. But I ended up being the type of person who initially watched it and never thought to attribute that kind of interpretation (even if it doesn't fit some of the scenarios, such as Tsume trying to save a kid and only having his wolf mouth to grab onto the kid with).
    Alot to think about, eh Sonne? And I did notice the whole 'wolf shadows coming from human figures' thing. But then I also wondered why Kiba, in his wolf 'form' saw Hige in his human 'form' in a squatting position when they first met. Wouldn't Kiba have just seen a wolf before him. Why would they bother showing scenes with no humans present, with all the characters in their huma forms? Also, how come they could use their hands, climb etc and items of clothing were affected by their environment? Positioning, that's another thing, them assuming postitions which couldn't translate to a wolf body, such as laying prosrate on their backs and leaning on on hand etc. How could Hige stroke Ble's head as she died from the distance he was away from her? I thought he could have nuzzled her but when we see a shot of them dead as wolves, he's lying too far away. I also gave some thought to when Tsume tried to save Gehl in the first (?) episode. This is something I did put alot of thought into over time and I've come to the conclusion that they are actually changing form in some scenes, and in others they just appear as wolves. (in which case Quent certainly isn't fooled (or it could just show that he can tell they are wolves rather than literally seeing the bipedal Toboe in front of him as a quadrupedal wolf)

I think some scenes are deliberately meant to make you confused, wondering when they are supposed to be 'shifted', which in itself could imply that whichever form the appeared as didn't matter, either way, they're wolves. We watched Darcia shift, showing hat he wasn't 'naturally' a wolf, but had to undrgo a physical transformation to become one. I didn't put any of that as eloquently as Sonne does, but hopefully you'll get what I'm trying to say ^^;

I thought they explained that the characters didn't shift at all. It was a "glamor". The wolves had found out how to appear human but they were still wolves physically.

BTW, the soundtrack was exceptional. I listen to it while I'm walking (interminably) on the treadmill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMUQCpIrLxk

I made an AMV. Was a bitch to use Windows Movie Maker though.

The story is kind of awkward. Good art, animation and some good scenes. But I didn't like some of the story elements, especially the concept of a 'flower girl' - that felt very 'off' in this type of storyline.

I just finished it the other day (the series, still havent read the mangas i have) and i gotta say it was a really great series. The ending was a bit of a departure from the rest of the show but hey, thats how anime is. haha The deaths were very emotional.

i need to actually sit through and watched it since I've never seen it i didn't really like the previews for it, but dose it still come on AdultSwim???

I had to buy the series at Best Buy but if its not on tv (doubtful) its on YouTube for sure.

But i think the majority of them appearing as humans even when they were alone was just to create a level of relatibility to the viewer.
    Last edited by ShadowFox; January 16th, 2010 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFox View Post
    I had to buy the series at Best Buy but if its not on tv (doubtful) its on YouTube for sure.

But i think the majority of them appearing as humans even when they were alone was just to create a level of relatibility to the viewer.
    That's a good point, Shadow! (silly Aspie wolf din't think about characters relating to people *smacks self)

Yeah, it's definately on Youtube and Megaupload. That's where I downloaded them for the AMV. Although whenever I watch a free fansub I do buy into the merchandise. If I hadn't been given that burned CD of Haruhi I would have never bought all that stuff at cons... But we can't condone illegal activity XP I think Play.com does the boxset, if you want a hard copy with al the extra bits ^^

I fucking love Wolf's Rain.
    I have all the dvds.
    It's my favorite anime..
    It's just so beautiful and very emotional in more ways than one. <3
    It really moved me.
    (and not just at the end where I bawled my eyes out. hard. I hadn't cried that hard since
    a death in the family. I hate the director for that. bastard. but yeah it's amazing anyway.)

And I want to read the Manga. I heard the ending is different in the Manga. I hope so!

I really loved Wolf's Rain. Bawled my eyes out at it, but loved it :-P

I did love the wolves in it, and it did make me feel a bit shifty, especially after Darcia becomes a wolf, because all the wolves were in their natural form/without their illusions by then. The ending did confuse me a little (although I liked Darcia's death, I thought it was very powerful), but I will probably re-watch it at some point.