Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Therians have a certain smell?

grey wolf Guest

Question Therians have a certain smell?

I was reading about therianthropy and i found in it, that therians have a certain smell to them. Is this true? If so what does it smell like?

Only after I've eaten Limburger. Or beans. Rooty tooty fruity!

But no, seriously. If you did an experiment where you collected the smells of 100 people whose status you definitely knew, and 20 of them were therian, would anyone be able to find the therians in that group based on how they smelled? If anyone could, then I'd say you had a basis for claiming that therians had a certain smell in common.

It's not impossible by any means. Some neurobiological conditions are associated with a very distinct smell, like schizophrenia. If therianthropy is a clinical condition, it's possible that we have some particular biochemistry that would be detectable this way. I just don't see any hard evidence for making this claim.

I agree with Savage here. Would be interesting if true though, I know that.
    "Nothing is impossible, only improbable." ~Personal quote

"You have a ramen doctor at your secret ramen base?" ~Neku Sakuraba

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Only after I've eaten Limburger. Or beans. Rooty tooty fruity!
    Phew! Woooooweeee!!! Now we know why your theriotype went extinct.

Therians having a distinctive scent is news to me, but for reasons the smelly kitty above mentioned, it's a possibility. I've never seen it discussed until now, though.

I think Wolf has anecdotally noticed that the Howls he hosts tend to be stinky events full of highly musky people (slightly teasing there). I don't know if he believes we tend to have a unique smell so much as we tend to have a lot of whatever smell we do have. I'd be curious to see some kind of attempt at quantifying this be done, of course.
    So then the hydra says to the deli worker, "Please! I beg of you! I've got eight starving mouths to feed!"

Actually, I won't make any claims about others, but I do know that seat on certain parts of my body tend to be extremely oily and carries a pretty strong odor - that's the main reason I hate going long without a shower. I've noticed some other Therians with that situation but I don't knwo if it's a constant throughout the community.

The musk is worst (or, at least, most prolific) in the fall and spring and eve worse when I lay around at home or when I used to visit my parents on weekends.

Or perhaps therians are a bit more lenient with their personal hygeine, lol.

But I'm glad Savage didn' immediately shoot this one down (no offense). I personally am preoccupied by the scents of people I become acquainted with and, I'd have to say there's some variety in there! Regardless of deoderants, aftershave, perfume or even the fabrics people wear, they all certainly have discernably different scents. I'll have to do a study some time! Send me samples!

I would think, though, that it'd be a hard thing to measure. Notwithstanding we will smell like humans will tend to smell anyway, humans are a very stinky species. I went to a technical college and majored in computer science, which, as the stereotype goes (and which seems to be generally true), the people there are the type that won't use deoderant or sometimes just skip showering. What happens is that you walk into the computer and information sciences building, and you are literally hit in the face by a cloud of body odor. It is very bad. Now, I highly doubt that they were all therians.

My thought is that at the howl, most of the therians there just failed to use deodorant. :P

Come join us every month for a Serious Therianthropy Discussion Chat hosted by Weresource.org!
    Visit this thread for more information!

You know, I've found that art students also have a certain smell to them...

Mostly the smell of being unshowered and using patchouli to cover it up.
    "Mr. Raccoon! Mr. Raccoon! Can't you play with me somehow? [FONT="Garamond"]No I can't, I am eating dinner now.[/FONT] What's for dinner? I want some. [FONT="Garamond"]I am eating pickled plums.[/FONT] Can't I have a little crumb? [FONT="Garamond"]Don't be such a greedy bum, get your own[/FONT]."- Pom Poko

Blog Entries

I remember a thread by a few otter therians describing body odor issues.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier