Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you smell people?

Smell is integral to me. If someone I know (has to be someone I know, else I won't do it) smells good, I tend to sniff them a bit and let them know they smell good. I've only in the last 8 years or so really let my Wolf portions be seen, and especially lately in the last year or two.

I love the smell of wet leaves, moss, and dirt--and when I say "love", I mean I won't leave the area I smell it in for a good 5-10 minutes after getting a whiff. Somewhere needs to market that smell, in the most authentic-smelling way possible. I'd absolutely buy it. That's my favorite smell, followed by Old Spice after the alcohol smell is gone. I've managed to coerce my boyfriend into wearing Old Spice because of that, though certain Axe scents are quite lovely to me in small, small doses. If I catch a whiff of Old Spice, it's hard for me to not follow it to whoever is wearing it.

I'm certain I mentioned this in the "Weird hobbies" thread, but I collect smells--in candle, body spray or air freshener form most times. The best/most authentic Lilac smell is from the condensed spray Bath & Body Works sells--and if you like Pine, theirs is very noticeably PINE. I love Lilac, Butter Rum, Apple Pie, Moonlit Path (B&BW), Vanilla, Cloves, Orange/Tangerine, lemon, Garlic (both taste and smell), grass, autumn leaves, foggy mornings, Bread (oh, do I love the smell of bread...Subway is a wonderful place to be). Even rocks.

I miss the smell of my dog, Gretta. And I remember the distinct smell of my Great Grandma on my mother's side's house. You ever smell old toy kitchens? They smell like a mix of chocolate/baking stuff and plastic. Weird, but it smelled like that. I pay attention to smells of places, and like Freedom of the soul, I tend to stop mid-sentence/word if I hear/smell something interesting enough to derail my train of thought. Especially if I get random smells going under & through my nose.

I don't particularly like the smell of "heat", as in the hot air coming from heaters. I do like woodsmoke, and I really like pipe tobacco and those cigarellos that smell like cherrywood. Mmmm. And Camels. I don't go out of my way to inhale the second-hand smoke, nor do I smoke (except a cigarello once a year for no reason other than a craving). My mom smoked Capri 120's in the Pink for years and years, and they smelled good, but not as good as Camels. Anyone notice burning leaves smells like bacon? Then again, I'm from Eastern Kentucky.

I believe that is all, lol. Sorry for the long-ish post; I like smells a lot. It's on par with taste and sight.

Mmm, yeah. But I can't stand the smell burning leaves leave on your clothes the day after. I always have to wash everything after a camp-fire.

I do actually smell people. Not in a weird way, just when passing people on the street, I try to time my breathing so I inhale just a little after they walk by, where you can catch the scent best.

I also find I smell better on foggy or misty days. I was watching a Mythbusters a while ago, the bloodhound one where they track Jamie 'the escaped convict'? The dog trainer busted the myth that walking through water will destroy the scent, because water holds scent better than air, or something like that. Although it doesn't explain why my sense of smell is worse on hot, humid days... ._.~

I tend to trail off when talking to people, but thats more because I get distracted with their body language(facial expressions mostly; when someone suddenly looks bored or impatient, I really get thrown for a loop), or something I've said, and then my brain goes off on a tangent. I suspect that most of my friends and co-workers think I'm stupid(not entirely inacurate...). Like the other day, I was talking about being 'ridden with disease' and then I got distracted by the word 'ridden' and started thinking about 17th century people thinking that demons actually rode them, or if it was just a poetic turn-of-phrase that got out of hand, and by then I had totally lost my train of thought... I relay have to find a way to focus on what I'm saying, and blocking out everything else. ;_;

I do but i make sure they don't notice

I don't purposefully smell the people I'm interacting with, but I do notice even the slightest scents and smells all the time. The problem with a keen sense of smell is that you have to take the bad with the good. Some scents are wonderful, some are really not so great. I have kids and trust me some of the smells they have created over the years make me wish I could at least turn it off for a while.
    I connect my keen sense of smell with what I am, I can't seem to help it. (I have no way to know if it's just the body and nothing else, or if some humans who are just humans have a sense of smell like mine..) Maybe I just prefer to think the two are connected, and maybe I'm fooling myself, but if I am it would appear I'm not alone.

I can ID family members by smell, and I don't like wearing smelly things because it messes with my own smell. In a social setting I usually can't pick a single person out of the many, so I don't notice unless I'm close enough to hug someone.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreyPilgrim View Post
    I have noticed also that my disposition towards someone will change depending on how they smell. Not necessarily that they smell bad, although because of my strong sense of smell that can play a factor, but it's rather more like "catching a bad vibe" from them.
    I have exactly the same. If I know the person well, then smell has lesser role than when I'm meeting someone the very first time. This second case can even cause me dislike the new person, even if he/she did nothing wrong to me. I'm never showing that cuz I'm trying not to judge people only by such impressions but it never happened to me to fail with it. When someone had "bad vibe" it prooved me sooner or later why I felt this way.

In everyday life I'm not paying attention to people scents which are surrounding me, except my beloved person which is kinda addictive

birmingham, westmidlands, England, earth, galixy, universe

haha aspergers syndrome for the win!
    and i hate that expresion XD
    for those who don't know, aspergers syndrome gives you a really sensative smell and sometimes hearing, its the only good thing it does *sigh*
    but I tend to smell people and use it to find them, and stuff, like if I cant find my tv remote i literally smell it out ^_^
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Syugoshin- frendly NOT tame[/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Lanina View Post
    I know other people (non-therians) who also like to be able to identify others by smell. So, it's not just us who do it, even though many find it strange to smell people.
    That is certainly one interesting piece of info. =P

Personally, I smell food. Don't really smell people as much.

I blame the less functional nose.
    Are you pokable?

I smell people, I love my mates and dogs scents. I'm big on food and drinks too, and I'm just a picky eater but if I don't like the way something smells I don't eat it. My nose isn't 'super nose' or anything so there are some non-therians I know that have a better sense of smell, but I think I pay attention to smells more, and can track them fairly easily. Also I blame a disgusting brother but I can turn off my nose and just not smell if I have too...that's helped me in work a few times... hehe
    ~~Our power can be replicated, but not our beginings~~

I definitely smell people...and animals, and places. I find that I associate scent with memories much more strongly than I do sound or images-- for example, smelling a piece of clothing or a person that smells like my deceased grandmother evokes a much stronger emotional reaction in me than seeing a picture of her.

I'm loathe to claim that my sense of smell is better than that of the average person's, since there is really no way to quantify it, but it's definitely a sense I feel I use more than the average person does, if that makes any sense.