Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Falconry

Default Falconry

I have the opportunity to enter an apprenticeship under a falconer. I'm stupidly excited, since this is something I've been interested in since I was a kid. I just got the offer today, so I'm still doing a /ton/ of research before I jump into anything, but I had to share. Thoughts, opinions, what have you, are welcome :P

(Obviously, I haven't died or anything. Real life is just incredibly hectic right now.)
    The universe is hostile, so impersonal...
    Devour to survive.
    So it is, so it's always been.

I love falconry, mostly because the falcons are generally released after a year and are not "owned". It's really nice when done properly.

Hope it works out. Is hard to find someone willing to teach others these days. Was a neighbor's kid many many many years ago that was learning. Had built his own mews and tackle, sadly Florissant wasn't a good place for that. The hawk took off one day and he put on his climbing spikes but didn't have a belt - fell from telephone pole and broke his back and that was the end of his hawking.
    Be very careful if you have to climb stuff and be careful how you feed the birds - keep them sharp set.
    I learned from several english books I was able to get imported but at the time the only local person who might teach me was a nature photographer who had little time(he owned several birds including a Golden Eagle).

It sounds like it would be pretty awesome! I don't think I could ever do it myself, because big bird make me a little nervous when they're up close and I'm sure that's not too good for the training, but I think it would be amazing to watch!

Blog Entries

Falconry has always been interesting. Its sad that in many places its kind of a dying art, despite the fact falconry can be used even in modern day. In fact, some airports are even hiring falconers to use their birds and skill to chase birds away from airport grounds around the runway to help prevent bird strikes.

Best of luck in the research and the apprenticeship.

I would absolutely love to be that close to those birds, but sadly I don't have the time or dedication to learn the art. My ex girlfriend has apparently got into it since we broke up, maybe I'll check it out sometime.

It's an absolutely brilliant thing to be doing, though; I envy you!

That's awesome! I wish you the best of luck and some damned tasty duck or rabbit.

I've been a wildlife rehabber off and on for fourteen years now and did some falconry stuff there, as well as some in college. We use the same techniques as falconers do to handle injured/orphaned wild raptors and non-releasable birds. I wouldn't call myself a falconer by any stretch of the imagination, but I know an alymeri jess when I see one!

Awesome Vikaryous, I had the opportunity to apprentice a few years ago, but ended up not being able to sustain the hobby at the time, I had to pass it up. Hope to find a way to do it someday when I am able too. I'm very excited for you! If you're interested, I found Falconry: the essential guide by Steve Wright and Practical Falconry by James McKay to be excellent learning material. Best of luck!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=1]Somewhere about six years old I tried to write some verses on a Dragon about which I now remember nothing except that it contained the expression a Green Great Dragon and that I remained puzzled for a very long time at being told that this should be great green. - J.R.R Tolkien[/SIZE][/FONT]

Wow, that sounds like a great opportunity! I hope all goes okay! :3

I am incredibly envious! Falconry is something I have ALWAYS wanted to try, wherever we go I pick up falconry centre leaflets and stuff, but the 'experience days' are always so expensive... One day, I hope...

I wish you luck with it!