Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Thread: Weight loss/Becoming healthy support thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Kisota View Post
    Aw, man, sorry to hear about the mental struggles, Amarok. I relate. Part of my taking up running was to try to find better coping mechanisms - plus, I've always disliked running, but when in a mental state where EVERYTHING kind of sucks, effectively nothing does. That seemed like a good time to try something I didn't normally like, haha...

Motivation is one of those prized feelings that is impossible to fake or just ... decide to have. One thing that's helped me is to stop thinking about needing motivation, and more about needing *discipline*. I often don't feel like running or working out. No motivation. Reminding myself that to achieve what I want, I have to do it anyway... and then doing it... that's discipline. The hardest part is just getting started, whether that be in general or on a daily basis.

I remind myself that I've never regretted going for a run, no matter what the conditions or how I'm feeling beforehand.

As for the anxiety... that's a real bitch, I know firsthand. If you think meds may help, it's worth looking into. Personally, I was fortunate that beta blockers taken during my bouts of panic or anxiety were all I needed and I don't even seem to need those anymore. But if it's negatively impacting your life, I think it's definitely worth being proactive about!

Good luck. <3

And YES, hotdogwolf, walking is great and a really underrated way to stay active.
    Running...bad? Ouch. I love a good run when it was not all I was doing. I grew up like Sonic the Hedgehog: every little thing I did had to be done fast. Why? It is damn fun, that is why. That said I hate running in public. Even with a huge runner culture, it feels weird, like people will think I like it for therianthropic reasons, (panting is a noteworthy issue) but in the right state, I can be on a treadmill for quite some time, at least in high school. Now my knees give if I so much as brush the same postcode as a good sprint, which I find a bit depressing.

If you get the in-case-of-panic-break-glass pills, they make for good insurance if your anxiety is temporal like mine, but if it is not, look first for something to make a consistent impact of stability first. The one I take is highly addictive if taken in any sort of pattern, (such as once a week or daily) and should only be done to stop a panic attack in it's tracks, but the fact that I have something that reacts fast is very comforting, which is why I am looking into a similar (albeit less addictive) medication for my depression.

On a less depressing note, I am gaining weight. Hooray! And yes I am not being sarcastic. I'm maybe a little shy of a dozen pounds under the average body mass index for my age, which means if I maintain this trend, I will have the stored calories to work out properly for the first time since my early teens. Additionally, my endocrinologist says my blood work turned everything out to be positive, including the vitamin D and calcium I need to recover (yes, recover) from my osteoporosis. Lately, I have been getting lazy from all this good news, but I think I am merely dazed from the contrast of my usual state of mind. Hopefully that does not stick.
    "Nature forsaken...once admired by us all. Does it know we're scared...to move...to wake...scared to be...who we were?" -Eluveitie. "Home"

Good news, I no longer have to walk everywhere I go. I can now bike ride to stores and places I need to go too. Weather that is a good thing I think that is something that can be debated. Because I think that riding a bike is less exercising then walking or jogging. What do you guys think.?
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; May 23rd, 2018 at 08:31 PM.

Bike riding generally will burn more calories per hour than walking but less than jogging, but any exercise is still fine, all three are good for you and the extended distance you can travel (and the less time it takes) will certainly be helpful! Woo hoo!

RedShadow, glad things are improving for you! Hang in there. My anxiety is more general, I don't have panic attacks (I don't think). But thanks for the insight.

Tonight's goal is to go jogging! We will see how I do....

Went jogging last night, according to my Garmin watch, 1.84 miles, 22:01 minutes (11:58 / mile pace). Feels slow to me but I only stopped to catch my breath once. 2 miles is about my limit before my leg starts to go numb. My goal is 2-3 time a week for the summer to see if things improve. I'll try to post here to stay accountable!

Woof

Quote Originally Posted by Kisota View Post
    Motivation is one of those prized feelings that is impossible to fake or just ... decide to have. One thing that's helped me is to stop thinking about needing motivation, and more about needing *discipline*. I often don't feel like running or working out. No motivation. Reminding myself that to achieve what I want, I have to do it anyway... and then doing it... that's discipline. The hardest part is just getting started, whether that be in general or on a daily basis.
    This is kind of how I feel about cooking lately. It causes me anxiety to have to cook everything I eat, because then I have to be around people, but if I eat prepared food I get sick... I'm going to see about getting more tests done to try and figure out the problem but in the meantime, I have to face facts, being healthy is not necessarily always sunshine and rainbows. But it is worth it.

I'm kind of jealous of people who can run, haha. I LOVE to run but my knees have been bothering me lately. To everyone who is running and making good progress, I hope you continue to reach your goals!
    Those with credentials don't pathologize it, and those without credentials do. I think that's saying something.

I've been working on exercise and weight loss steadily over the past year or so. While I'm not going to the gym super-regularly right now because of other life stuff eating up my evenings, I've been making sure to walk places, take the stairs, etc. I do push-ups while I wait for my lunch to heat up in the microwave at work, and I've been eating a little healthier.
    When it comes to going to the gym, there's actually times where I want to go because I feel the need to use some energy. I agree with what Kiso said - other than those times, it's more about discipline than motivation.
    I've actually managed to lose about 20 pounds so something is working!