Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss/Becoming healthy support thread!

Elinox - Oh I know what you mean about making changes about being more of a lifestyle change rather than a typical fad diet. I actually started November of 2015 because I didn't want to wait for the New Year. I had lots of time off so I thought "OK, I can go ahead and start this now while I have the time to get things kick-started instead of waiting for the New Year when things will get busy again." I've certainly fallen off the wagon a few times over the years but it's mostly been due to getting sick with respiratory illnesses which in turn led to lack of exercise.

That's actually a pretty good thing for me because it shows I'm not falling back into unhealthy emotional/stress eating and drinking habits, but it's more like "going into hibernation mode" for a while during the Winter months, Hahaha! Once I get my tail back into gear, after about a week of exercising I feel like I'm back on track and notice an increase in stamina. I notice it especially when I'm out and about in the world doing normal walking, casual uphill climbing, etc. I don't get tired or winded at all like I used to before I started getting healthy.

I need to incorporate some upper arm strength, so I may look into doing some very light weightlifting or something. I like having a lean body but I definitely have a lot of muscle in my legs. I'm kinda...ummm... "Thick" in the thigh and butt department (LOL!!), which doesn't bother me anymore because I've finally realized that's something a lot of people (guys) find very sexy and attractive. xD

So I'm fine with keeping a healthy butt and thighs (Hur Hur Hurrr!!!), but I want to trim some more around the middle and tone up my upper arms and stuff. :<
    Last edited by Somnia; December 27th, 2017 at 09:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Any updates from those of us working toward fitness goals?

I did complete the Couch to 5k program quite a while back! I kept running 5ks three times a week for months after, but I've cut back a little on cardio. What with field work, I was already getting exercise, and too much calorie burn conflicts a bit with my more pertinent goals of weight/muscle GAIN.

I'm doing L-sits unsupported now, too, but not really worked up to 30 second holds yet. Handstands are getting better but I'm not able to hold for a full minute yet, nor get up without briefly kicking off a wall.

I've visibly put on muscle, which is pretty cool. That and my leanness have done a lot for dysphoric feelings about my body.

I kind of want to see if I can get a six pack. :P I've got some definition, so I think I might be able to pull it off if I keep going!

My fitness routines is largely unchanged: I go to the gym M-F while at work, alternating with cardio and weight lifting. Then I dive every other Sunday and I eat 1200 calories M-F.

However, I discovered DareBee.com several months ago which has dozens of exercise regimes and workouts. From the program guide, back in March, I chose and completed Athena's Playbook which was geared towards 30 days of general fitness. Now, I'm working my way through the 60 days of Hero's Journey which is for weight loss, streamline and toning. And...it's hard.

I'm hoping that by day 60, if I haven't keeled over from the intense exercises, I'll be more visibly muscular and toned!

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 36 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

I have really struggled to get my shit together this spring, I began to jog again some in March and then fell into a funk and had troubles doing much of anything. My leg is still healing from the torn hamstring so my favorite activity (jogging) is hard to do still and I think it has affected my motivation. Getting older may not be helping as I am staring down 50 y.o. soon and I think the fact that my body no longer reacts to exercise and better diet the same as it used to also doesn't help.

That and my mental state is not good, I am having some troubles with motivation in general and I have been self medicating more than I should. For the first time ever I am seriously considering meds for anxiety to see if that will help my outlook and reduce my alcohol consumption, but I also worry that side effects may also have similar effects (hard to know unless I try)

But yeah, I am trying to find that spark again and right now it has become difficult which really annoys this wolf that can be very goal oriented and is frequently striving to do better

I think I do pretty good on handling my weight by just walking wherever I do because 1, I don't have a car or money to get around by cab. So the only thing for me to do is to walk everywhere and some of the stores down here where I am living now are pretty far away from the house that I am in now. For example, The store lowe's is 4 miles away from my step-fathers house, So If I need something at lowe's or at another store then I would have to walk 4 miles to get there and 4 miles back. So long distance walking is doing a good job at keeping my weight down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amarok View Post

That and my mental state is not good, I am having some troubles with motivation in general and I have been self medicating more than I should. For the first time ever I am seriously considering meds for anxiety to see if that will help my outlook and reduce my alcohol consumption, but I also worry that side effects may also have similar effects (hard to know unless I try)
    Aw, man, sorry to hear about the mental struggles, Amarok. I relate. Part of my taking up running was to try to find better coping mechanisms - plus, I've always disliked running, but when in a mental state where EVERYTHING kind of sucks, effectively nothing does. That seemed like a good time to try something I didn't normally like, haha...

Motivation is one of those prized feelings that is impossible to fake or just ... decide to have. One thing that's helped me is to stop thinking about needing motivation, and more about needing *discipline*. I often don't feel like running or working out. No motivation. Reminding myself that to achieve what I want, I have to do it anyway... and then doing it... that's discipline. The hardest part is just getting started, whether that be in general or on a daily basis.

I remind myself that I've never regretted going for a run, no matter what the conditions or how I'm feeling beforehand.

As for the anxiety... that's a real bitch, I know firsthand. If you think meds may help, it's worth looking into. Personally, I was fortunate that beta blockers taken during my bouts of panic or anxiety were all I needed and I don't even seem to need those anymore. But if it's negatively impacting your life, I think it's definitely worth being proactive about!

Good luck. <3

And YES, hotdogwolf, walking is great and a really underrated way to stay active.

Never posted in this thread, but from this time last year to now, I have lost 20 pounds! It wasn't actually due to exercise, but rather me finally seeking help with my mental health. Much of it was weight I gained from boredom/depression eating [most of the time without actually realizing I was doing it]. But I'm back down to my normal/goal weight of 120 pounds and I feel so much better about myself. Now hopefully the only weight gain I experience from here on out will be all in muscle.

Blog Entries

Yeah well my issue is actually weight gain to be honest. It seems pretty underrated in this society but I digress. I get full fast, so I'm trying to eat multiple meals with high calories. I keep hovering around the 103 and 104lb mark and I'm a 23 year old female. Gaining weight has been hard for me.
    Timber wolf therian-- changeling-- horse hearted/therian
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, loosing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    Yeah well my issue is actually weight gain to be honest. It seems pretty underrated in this society but I digress. I get full fast, so I'm trying to eat multiple meals with high calories. I keep hovering around the 103 and 104lb mark and I'm a 23 year old female. Gaining weight has been hard for me.
    Sometimes there can be a chemical imbalance when you want to gain weight but can't. Have you looked into potential issues with your thyroid?

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 36 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    As a guy, I am last count I was 209.5 pounds at 36 years old. I would like to loss a little more weight and I would also try for upper body straight and in my arms too. But I don't have the time nor there is a gym here.