View Poll Results: Werelist recipe-sharing club...?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd love to join a recipe-sharing group!

20 31.25%
  • Maybe I'd join, I might have some recipes I could share...

28 43.75%
  • No, having this thread is fine for me.

16 25.00%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Your Favorite Recipes

My favourite meal: white rice with red kidney beans.

1) Make as much rice as you desire; follow directions on box. It is better if the rice is softer and fluffier, but make however you like your rice.
    2) Pour 1 package of Sazon into a medium sauce pot
    3) Add in 1-2 spoonfuls of sofrito
    4) Add in half a small can of tomato paste
    5) Add in 1 drained can of red kidney beans
    6) Add in 1 can of water
    7) Bring to a boil, lower to medium heat and let cook until beans are soft and to liking.
    8) Combine rice and beans when done and enjoy.

Note: Add salt and pepper to taste.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=+1]"You can't take the sky from me."[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Garamond][FONT=Book Antiqua]
    [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2]~*Rest in Peace*~
    Dusty, Buddy, Kodi[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

New England baked beans:

4lbs dried Navy Beans
    2 lbs LEAN salt pork, the leaner the better.... did I say lean? If not, let me say it again LEAN!
    1 large onion, deskinned, but otherwise kept whole
    2 lbs medium, commercial molasses, like Grandma's ( US Brandm I have no idea what you euros have that is the equivalent)
    2 heaping tablespoons of whole cloves, in a cheesecloth sachet or a tea ball
    2 Tablespoons dry ground mustard
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Dump the entire mess listed above into a large pot with sufficient water to cover the beans, stir the mixture enough to dissolve the molasses and the spices, taking care to not break the teaball or sachet of whole cloves open, and bake for 5-6 hours at 350 F. Ensure that the pot is covered during this process.

--inspect occaisionally and add water to keep the beans submerged, as dried beans will swell up as they rehydrate. before eating, moosh the onion up if it hasn't dissolved during the baking, stir. Also remove the chunk of salt pork, cube it, and place the cubes on top of the beans. Stick the pot back in the oven and cook at the same temperature for another 30-45 minutes until the top of the beans are carmelised, and the salt pork is crispy.

After this is done, stir togeather and eat.

Heh. I gotta bump this thing up more often. A bunch of good ideas come through here.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonomaly View Post
    I call them booger cakes and they're relatively bland, but fun to make.
    Ha, booger cakes... *snickers* I'm going to have to try that sometime...

Neat thread! ...even if I am a bad cook (I've set toast on fire, created grease fires in the oven, etc.) and don't really have much to contribute myself.
    "To be whole. To be complete. Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to rather than what we are separate from."

I've been craving French Onion soup recently, so I guess I could contribute that much. I just recently put this together after looking at a couple recipe books for the basic idea of what to use. I don't have any specific cooking times, but that because I watch it cook so intently that I don't feel the need to time it.

Single Serving French Onion Soup
    1 small white onion, sliced thinly
    2 tablespoons of butter
    1 beef bullion cube
    1 cup of water
    a pinch of Parsley

Saute the onions in the butter in a small pot until soft.
    Add the water and parsley.
    When hot, but not boiling, add the bullion cube.
    Stir occasionally until the soup is boiling and the bullion cube it dissolved. Remove from heat and cool before serving.

I personally prefer it with a side of potatoes and some Parmesan cheese, but feel free to customize the recipe to your will.

Quote Originally Posted by Agita View Post
    Too lazy, but It always comes out good anyway! I always get rid of the little white bits in the egg with a fork, because as far as I know that's the bit that could have been a chicken-babeh...
    Completely off-topic, but I think the little 'white bits' is more like the umbilical cord. I believe the part that 'could be' baby chicks is the blood spots. You don't see them very often in store-bought eggs, presumably because the roosters don't come near the hens in battery-farms.

I finally have the core of my cookbook, The Art of Scientific Cooking finished and am in the process of transfering it to my website (that should be done over the next couple of weeks.) I'm also working on a cookbook of camp cooking (have you ever baked in a cardboard box?). Once that's done I'll have the stuff Files finished except I'll be adding illustrative recipes as time goes on.

I'm cooking poached pears and vegetable beef soup tonight and that'll go up within the next couple of weeks.

Also, I'm working on getting my homemade slide rule up to where it can multiply. I have to get through division, fractions, and exponents before I can get to that point, though, because I'll need logarithms. I did but up a way to multiply with geometry today, though.

It's like continuing education, Baybee!

I tend to like fairly simple recepies that include no more than half a dozen ingredients.

One of my favourites at the moment is pan-fried steak with a clove of garlic, finely chopped spring onions, ginger and a red wine reduction.

Another thing I do occasionally, but it's slightly more complicated, is a moroccan inspired dish with lamb in a casserole in the oven with a low heat. (In Morocco, they would probably use a tagine) Brown the lamb and sweat some thinly sliced onions and a clove of chopped garlic. In the casserole dish, a generous squirt of tomatoe puree (if you want, you could add chopped tomatoes instead), some thyme, rosemary, cumin, turmeric, ginger, shredded dried apricot. Add a couple of inches of water, the lamb, onions and garlic and cook in the oven for about an hour at a low temperature.

Aye, a little more complicated, but it sounds worth it.

Reviving an old thread >>

I have some recipes for those who want to try the "scavenger diet" as friends have so nicely called it XD

Aunt Rose's Tripe

Ingredients:

Tripe
    1 1/4 cup of chopped Salt Pork
    1 1/4 cup of chopped onions
    2 med. size garlic cloves
    1 - 2 1/2 can diced tomatoes #1
    4 large carrots
    3 celery
    chopped parsely

Remove fat on back of tripe. Cut into smaller pieces. Parboil till nearly done, then cut it in about 1 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch strips. Brown chopped salt pork, ass chopped onions and brown. ass tripe and tomateos, salt, and pepper. add a little water if necessary. Cook till tripe is nearly done, then add diced carrots, celery, and chopped parsely. Cook tile vegetables are done.

Liver

Liver
    Bacon
    Onions
    Flour

Fry bacon, pull the bacon out, throw in onions and cook them until translucent. Pull out the onions and wash the liver. Lightly flour and then salt and pepper to taste. Fry the liver in the bacon grease until it is about medium, not bloody but pink in the middle ... dry it out and it's awful.

The bacon is for the grease and can be eaten, discarded or donated to hungry puppies. ;>

Turkey Necks and Gizzards

Turkey Necks
    Turkey and Chicken giblets
    Bay leaves
    Celery

Wash the necks and giblets, throw them in a pot of water, enough to cover them. Throw in three or four bay leaves, salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic. You can either cut up and use fresh onions or onion flakes. throw in celery for flavor. Nature's seasonings is recommended, but any italian mix seasoning will do. Cook them till the meat starts to fall off the bones and the gizzards are tender.
    The Four Faces - Ilrak (Main/Original), Bruce (Circa 1990-1991 - Present), Tony (2013 - Present), and the Protector/Other Guy (Possibly same as Bruce?)

Dormant member: Susan (1999-2013/14)