Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A therian's "cub/s" and parenting in general.

Default A therian's "cub/s" and parenting in general.

It's always been a point of interest for me as to how a Therian raises their child/children, and how that may differ or be similar to a parent without the same "animalistic ties."

And even before I had my own "cub" 6 months ago, I always felt as if it would be a real coin-toss as to whether or not my parenting would even be affected at all. And I'm not talking about things like the animal-urge to sometimes eat your children, or to kill the offspring of a new mate if they are not yours (though it'd also be very intriguing to discuss such ideas if those thoughts/feelings are occurring to some Therians). More so, however, I am interested in the every day parenting.

Personally, I noticed early on that I am INSANELY territorial as a mother. I was already quite territorial, but that emotion became heightened to an extreme with my cub. If anyone else is holding her, and I don't necessarily like that person (mother-in-law, for example), I notice my lip curling and have to repress snarls. I also have discovered how much I love having a "valid" excuse to get on all fours, now! I will "crawl" with my cub, and make funny animal noises, and I feel if anything it helps her. Seeing her mother down on all fours motivates her to move around more, and she has advanced far beyond the "average" baby as far as developmental milestones.

I also know that these things, along with several other choices/actions I make as a parent, are also equally likely to just be my mind adjusting to my new role as a caretaker. Though I can't help but shake the feeling that with my daughter, I can be as shifty and animalistic as I want and not only is she okay with it, but it seems to be helping her!

How do you act around your "cub/s"? Do you also feel as though your spiritual/physical/mental/other attachment to an animal (or other non-human being) has affected your parenting? If so, do you feel it is more positive or negative? Or both?

Also, any tips about being a parent and a Therian for later on in my cub's life would be greatly appreciated!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Garamond"]Our destiny changes with our thought; we shall become what we wish to become, do what we wish to do, when our habitual thought corresponds with our desire.[/FONT][/SIZE]

I'd ask for clarification, do you mean children as of humans or as of your animal?

If you mean the former, then let's say... that it can be an interesting perspective to call own children as cubs. But I can see why. It's more natural to yourself, to portray own offspring as cubs. It's of course different if you would tell your children that they are your cubs.

Or if the latter, I do see that some therians do have the opportunity to raise their own theriotypes. Domesticated animals are far the easiest, and I'd say those which are portrayed as mythological could be, eh, a bit hard.

Blog Entries

I do not have any urge to have children, but if that would ever happen... I have also wondered... how much of my animality would I have to hide from that child? Would it be bad to scold a misbehaving child with a snarl instead of harsh human words? How negatively would people react if I lick clean my newborn from blood/slime instead of washing him/her with water? Is it bad if the child sees me give a quick lick on my partners face, instead of a kiss?

I don't want children and never have (at least mentally; sometimes physically I want them, but that feeling has died)-- they're disgusting things to me [harsh, I know, but it's the truth]. They don't spark maternal or paternal instincts in me. The more animal side of me sees them as a threat to my territory.

However, animals will get the paternal instinct. They make me want to protect them, teach them, and care for them. This is heavily the case with my dog in which I have had all of the instincts of a father caring for their kid -- everything you hear fathers or mothers talking about when it comes to their kid has been true of me. I'm territorial with her and I'm insanely protective.

But, I can treat her more like an animal would because she is an animal. If I was ever to have human kids, the instincts would be shoved down and all animalistic behaviors would be heavily diluted as I do not want to impress it on them because I would hate for their self-identity to be reliant on how dad acts.

I've been trying to think of a reply to this for a day or so, because I think the topic is really interesting. I do want to have children someday (probably via adoption) but as of right now, while I like kids, I still think babies are just straight-up...gross. Which is a bit of a bummer.

I don't think I'd ever call my children cubs/fawns/foals or anything other than as a pet name, which would actually be in line with how I was raised: my dad pet-names everyone, and almost never calls people by their name without somehow adding his own cute twist. I got called szczypiorek (little chives) and piesek (puppy) most often, and I pet-name people I love pretty hard as well.
    It would be really interesting to me if I "mothered" like a doe in any way. The most likely thing I could think of is that I would keep my offspring fastidiously, obsessively clean (does will clean their fawns rigorously and actually ingest their excrement to prevent them from having any smell - not that I'd go that far as a human, obviously, but fun fact there), which is also in line with how I was raised, in that my parents never let me have food on my face or otherwise remain grubby. So the animality is probably not at all causal so much as something that would happen to be in common with things already true of me in a human way...which is how I feel about it in most circumstances anyhow.
    Anyhow, interesting topic! Definitely sounds cool that you get to act out your animal side around your child.

Finding other therians who have kids is very hard, I've noticed alot do not want them.. can't figure out why, I love my three girls

Like you I am incredibly territorial about who deals with them to the point I even get extremely anxious with them at school because I don't get to see what goes on. I can get very stressed if they are late out or if I have to rely on someone else to look after them for a while.

Also like you I am happy to get on all fours and play 'animals' with my kids, they enjoy and they seem to respond to the fact I can really get into it and I've noticed compared to other parents who are not therian, we have a much closer bond that others always commebnt on. We are more playful in general and they are very open-minded aswell. Compared to the other children in school they do not care so much about what is 'cool' or what girls and boys do. They just are who they are.

And also like you, I had comments from my health visitors about how quickly my girls were achieving their milestones and surpassing other kids their age. My two sisters had kids in the last year and it surprised me how far behind my lot they are in development. Mine were all walking by 10 and a half months, my nieces have been 18 months and my youngest niece is 14 months and just getting the hang of it now. It has been fascinating because I can watch others developing, and I do think mine have developed physically much quicker and they just seem mentally less restricted by the culture around them. The odd thing was.. up to 18 months old my three were almost impossible to tell apart despite having two years difference between them, you can look at pictures and struggle to see who is who.. they all completed their milestones around the same ages too. I've not seen anyone else have such conformity with their children. It's definitely intriguing to wonder if being therian myself has affected that at all.. but I think me being therian has just encouraged them to be more open minded and bond with me better because I play much more easily with them than alot of parents seem to do with theirs.
    I have a wolf mind in a human body.. yeah it freaks me out a bit too

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewing View Post
    I'd ask for clarification, do you mean children as of humans or as of your animal?
    Yes, children as in human offspring. Sorry about the muddled description there. I have always called my daughter my cub/kit/fluff-ball (she was very hair when she was born! Hah!). Even my non-Therian husband refers to her by these nicknames now.

Though, now that it has been brought up, I am also very interested in the idea of a Therian "parenting" their pets, or other animals.

Sorry this is such a short reply, I'd like to respond to everything that has been posted thus far but am on a tight schedule today and will get around to it later tonight or tomorrow. Just wanted to quickly clarify what I was asking in the OP.
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Garamond"]Our destiny changes with our thought; we shall become what we wish to become, do what we wish to do, when our habitual thought corresponds with our desire.[/FONT][/SIZE]

I am greatly looking forward to having children, myself. Probably not the pregnancy part, mainly because of high risks of gestational diabetes and the inability to take any medications for my Restless Legs Syndrome (which is supposed to get infinitely worse during pregnancy) during gestation and breastfeeding.

Unless they come up with some sort of pregnancy-and-breastfeeding-safe drug for RLS. Then I will dance in the streets.

I look forward to being able to raise a child the way I want to- I have had to forcibly take a back seat with my niece, whom I was very close to since her birth (she's 4 now). But my niece is a very typical single child- spoiled to death, bratty, obsessed with princesses and girly stuff (though my mother is trying very hard to curb that, which I commend her for). But sometimes she can be the cutest, sweetest little girl... Its hard, for me, to have to tell myself, "no, you can't discipline her," because it isn't my place to.

I don't think will hide my Therian side from my children. I wont go so far as to growl at anyone that picks them up or takes their attention, nor will I lick them clean either, but I will definitely "play" animal will them. I did it constantly when I was a kid- always the dog in the play family, always on all fours, never interested in much else.

Of course, if the kids aren't interested in such things, then that's fine. They can be whatever they want to be.

My only worry is on religion and spirituality in their lives... They will apparently get a much better education attending French Catholic schools... I've had my own trials and tribulations attending Catholic school and would not wish such things on anyone, especially my own children. And I will not go to any church with them, nor will I encourage any Christianity in my house.

My fiancee, while not a religious person himself, will do such things if need be. We'll see.

I don't want to get them kicked out of school, either, because their mother talks to her altar and thinks there are more than one god- so I'm not sure I'll be teaching them about polytheism either. If they show interest, sure. If not, then that's fine.

But I'm getting more off-topic... Sorry. :3

I despise children. Even when I was one, I despised them. Unless a child shows an abnormal aptitude for a certain subject or seems intelligent, I avoid them at all costs.

Having a child disgusts me even more, sadly. The thought of having raccoon kits hasn't bothered me in the slightest, but when I think of the human larvae we call babies, I am grossed out.

I don't know what I would do when raising a child. I would try and remain objective, of course, but I don't know if it would be possible. I want to show the kid that there are so many more viewpoints than just one or two, and I want him to explore them all and find out what's comfortable.

Anyway, I don't think I could remain objective because I'd often find myself wondering secretly if the kid is a therian, or will have therian tendencies. I'd interpret any animalistic behaviour as therianesque, even though it might be normal. I might subconsciously cause the kid to be insecure if he doesn't have the same therian behaviours that I do, or if therianthropy is a psychological developement, I might accidentally give the kid therianthropy. Hehe, I dunno. I just can't be sure how anything would work.

But I also know that if the kid has any of my family's genes, he would be utterly fine with believing whatever tripe he was fed early in life and never want to learn anything else ever again. So yeah, I'm torn and undecided. I just know that there is probably no right way to raise a child unless we hold some scientific studies. XP
    "In war, fear is the woman your mother warned you about."
    - Hiroshi Sakurazaka, "All You Need is Kill"

Blog Entries

I also don't care much for children even though my mate does. But I am curious on if therianthropy will be passed from parent to child. I am just disgusted by children and was raised to believe that they are really no good.

So yeah, just not interested. At all.