Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Swords, Bows, and Knives, Oh My!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
    Well you're very lucky then. Everyone I've ever met has had to be trained.
    Have to back up Zeno here. There's far more to it than "point and shoot". The first time I picked up a gun I couldn't hit anything, it took quite a few months to even reach something that was passable. Even now, all of my experience is single, non-moving targets in optimal conditions. Just because I have a whatever percentage of accurate hits under those stipulations doesn't make me a marksman. I'm subpar at best. Which is frustrating to me personally, but that's neither here nor there.

I don't particularly have a preference when it comes to modern vs. more archaic weapons. It's a tool, so long as it works and is efficient, I'll be interested. Which is why I have a passable working understanding of conventional firearms (I would put most easily accessible handguns, shotguns, and rifles here. Nothing crazy.), and a fair amount of hand-to-hand weapons. I know how to use a bow, I just don't really like them.

The only martial art I ever was a part of that included swordplay was ninjutsu, but it wasn't exactly "stand-up fight as equals" training. More "I've got the drop on you and now I'm going to brutally murder you for your laxity." Most of my experience is self-taught or blended over from LARP/Medieval re-enactments sort of things. There I prefer an axe. Not subtle by any stretch, but there's a LOT of force behind it with even the lightest of swings and I do so enjoy shield-hooks or weapon-hooks. Nothing like catching a sword blade mid-air, tossing it aside and then cutting down your opponent right as the "Oh ****" look comes across their face. Generally speaking I prefer duels, and in large events I typically take a line-breaker role, breaking open enemy formations for my allies to take advantage of. Usually results in my death, but glory for the cause :P
    The universe is hostile, so impersonal...
    Devour to survive.
    So it is, so it's always been.

Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    Um somnia, My labtop computer ownly shows half the link to the webpages that i visit. So maybe someone can post the youtube links for me.
    Sure I can help you since you are having issues with your computer.

Ok guys i want everyone to go on youtube and type this in. SWORD TECHNIQUES AND APPLICATION.........MESSER TECHNIQUES FROM TALHOFFER............LANGES MESSER.......FOUR SOURCES ON MESSER COMBAT.
    If the videos are correct here are the direct links to Youtube:

SWORD TECHNIQUES AND APPLICATION

MESSER TECHNIQUES FROM TALHOFFER

LANGES MESSER

FOUR SOURCES ON MESSER COMBAT

Default Swords, bows, and knives, oh my!

Thats the sword training movies on youtube. What ya guys think of it. Think it will help you guys out with your sword training. If anyone need more training there are a lot more training video's on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    And Zeno, Lindiel bought me this blade from the Ren fair in Harrisburg Pennsylvania.
    That wouldn't happen to be La Forge would it?

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 36 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

Default Swords, bows, and knives, oh my!

Hey has anyone ever use an atlatl before. http://WWW.ATLATL.COM/

Ok, I got 2 bows. One is a fiberglass longbow and the other one is a Barnett compound bow. I got 2 sets of 10 arrows for each bow. The fiberglass bow needs a arrow rest. I am going to see if Dick's sporting goods store can set an arrow rest on my bow or maybe try and make a home made arrow rest.

Cool! I love archery, I even took it as a class in college. I even got a robin hood (sortof)! I split one of my own arrows although they weren't in the center of the target so I guess I'm good at consistency, just need to work on accuracy. Hope you have fun with those bows, even if you don't go hunting (I recall you like wildlife)!
    Rock On!

Hey has anyone ever use an atlatl before. http://WWW.ATLATL.COM/
    I haven't but I want to, especially since it recently became legal to hunt with them here.

I have quite of bit of experience with a sling though. If you haven't used one before I would recommend learning somewhere without people or anything of value. I put a rock through a car windshield once because it released at the wrong time and bounced off a tree.
    Last edited by Cynoceph; October 11th, 2018 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynoceph View Post
    I haven't but I want to, especially since it recently became legal to hunt with them here.

I have quite of bit of experience with a sling though. If you haven't used one before I would recommend learning somewhere without people or anything of value. I put a rock through a car windshield once because it released at the wrong time and bounced off a tree.
    I don't hunt, But I would use one as a selfdefense weapon. Seeing how guns are expensive and primitive weapons are cheap. Also, unlike a bullet, Atlatl spears, arrows and bolts are reusable. Just as long as you don't loss them and if you do, You could always make more from wood out in a forest. Something you can't do with a bullet if your out in the woods.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; October 11th, 2018 at 07:04 AM.

I don't hunt much either. I will shoot a squirrel occasionally and I might see about getting a deer this year. I'm more likely to just pick up a roadkill deer though. I still get free meat and I don't even have to kill it myself.

The sling and atlatl talk reminded me of something else interesting. It's almost like a combination of the two and it's called the cestrosphendon. I haven't made one yet but it looks like it might be fun.
    https://earlyworks.weebly.com/the-ce...ing-darts.html

There is also the staff sling. It's pretty much a regular one attached to the end of a stick. It's a lot easier to use without much experience.