Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swords, Bows, and Knives, Oh My!

Default Swords, Bows, and Knives, Oh My!

This stems from a post put by hotdogwolf on preferring swords to guns and many therians seem to enjoy swords, bows, etc. So, I'm creating a thread where y'all can discuss why and what type to your hearts' content.

I'll go first:

I'm partial to my collapsible recurves [I have two of them; one is right handed and one is left handed]. I have had them for 7 years and I absolutely love them. They haven't been used in six years because there are no archery ranges within my area. However, I plan on going back into using them and getting better at them.

I prefer my bows to other weapons like guns because the noise of guns annoys me and it feels like cheating with the sights and other gadgets used [the same reason I won't use a compound bow]. I don't have sights [sites?] on my bows and I never plan on having them on it.

Another weapon I like is the naginata. I have yet to get to use one, but I've been itching to get my hands on one since I learned about them. I'm partial to staff weapons and this one has a pointy knife on the end so it just makes it all that more exciting to me.

I love martial arts and back in the day I had quite the collection of weaponry. I had 2 bo staves (one was lighter than the other), some nunchucks (one foam practice one and one nice wood ones with a chain. I got the nice ones that had ball bearings instead of just a chain attached to them), a boken (wooden katana), and an actual katana. That one I got for my birthday one year. I saved up my money and rather than order one from the mail or online or anything I wanted to actually feel and compare the weight/ballance of them. So I cruized around to all the various knife stores and tried some out. Most of them were not very well ballanced, or even sharp. You know where had the best one? Cuttlery World in the local mall of all places. There was one there in my price range that was both balanced and very sharp. It had a bit of a sea life/fish theme on the tange (I think that's what it's called, the crossguard) that I wasn't fond of but hey you can't be too picky when on a budget.

Oh I also had a bow. I got it from my best friend. He had a large backyard so we were shooting it at a target and one of his shots went way wide and over the wall. Apparently he hit his neighbor's house, and his neighbor was home at the time. He came storming down the road swearing up a storm then when he got to the door, his mom opened it and he was increadibly polite ("excuse me mam, does this arrow belong to your son?") After that he didn't want to practice archery so I traded it to him for a game I think. Actually I took archery in college one semester. It was fun. I even got a robin hood of all things one time. It's not quite what you'd expect though because even though I did hit my own arrow, it was not in the bullseye, it was way left and down on the target. So I just take it in stride and say I'm "consistently innacurate." So now that I'm consistent, I just need to work on the accuracy. My coach kept the arrow though, I suppose it did belong to the school. I did manage to recover the notch from the arrow that was split in two, so I got that much.

Blog Entries

I don't have any functional swords, but when I've been boffering I've found I prefer the khopesh. Good for parrying and catching your opponent's blade. My second favorite is the short sword; while it doesn't have much reach it's maneuverable. I also like staff weapons, and hope to someday take a walking stick and add a spark gap from a handheld contact Taser.

That naginata looks very interesting.

Anyone ever tried tekagi-shuko?
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Let's see...

I have created boffer swords, spears, and rapiers to use for me and my family/friends. I've also got a couple sais and a collection of wooden swords I like to toy around with in my spare time. My favorite weapon type is polearms, by far. I always wanted a naginata, like the one Arawn posted!

When I was travelling, I'd get into daily sparring sessions with a friend of mine. Mostly hand-to-hand, but often we'd get whatever sticks were nearby to spice the fight up. Eventually, this ended up with a tooth of mine getting poked out with the tip of an umbrella. Ouch!

Finally, I've always been fascinated with bows. I've had a couple, including one compound bow as a kid, and a home-made longbow as a young adult. I'm typically right handed, but I can only shoot a bow left handed.

@ Cheetah: I've always wanted a claw weapon, but I've never had one. I must buy or create one, one of these days!

Blog Entries

I love archery. I have a compound bow (but will never put sights on it) and a crossbow, but I really want to get a Longbow or classical recurve. I've been practicing my archery since I was ten. I also have seven swords ranging from longswords to rapiers to daggers. I also would like to learn Tai Chi as a martial art.
    [SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Engineer, hobbyist, fighter, archer, fox.
    [/SIZE]
    -Avatar courtesy of Wolfsnake[/SIZE]

Blog Entries

They do look like they'd feel very natural, though I'd have to adjust the claw size somewhat. Wouldn't really want something that long... though if it was for parrying longswords I might.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I know how to use guns, but I'd really like to learn some archery, and eventually maybe get some martial arts experience/experience with melee weapons. Alas I'm having trouble finding a style I like (I used to do Northern style Shaolin Kung-Fu, and I loved it more than any other martial art I've tried) since my old studio moved forty five minutes away. Also, I lack funds for weapons/lessons.

The only real knife I have right now is a SOG Seal-pup. It's pretty freakin sweet.

I absolutely adore archery, but I haven't been able to acquire a bow to my liking or my price range yet. I can't bring myself to get a compound bow because I feel they're cheating. I really want a recurve bow.

As for swords and knives, I haven't been able to purchase any of my own, but I have a few boffer weapons. I'm fond of using twin short swords. I use my maneuverability to my advantage, and when possible I try to do sneak-attacks. A close friend of mine favors two handed swords, so when we sparred for the first time I got most of my hits in by forcing him to block one sword as I came in underneath with the other. I felt like such a badass. >.<
    Man is free at the moment he wishes to be.
    -Voltaire

I also loathe firearms, I feel like I'm simply telling something to point and kill; there's no tangibility, no substance, no life. Guns are an invention designed to make a weakling into a killing machine: not only do they wither a person's physical attributes but also their mental ones; no need for intelligence or skill, just the ability to hold a lump of metal and a working finger.
    The worst part of a gun, in my opinion, is that there's no room for error with them. If you're jumpy, unlike a bow where you have enough time to cancel your attack, there's no time between "AAAH!" & "BANG!" You're more likely to kill by mistake with a gun than any other weapon.

Now a bow... That's a different creature. I have a recurve bow myself and really like it but, for me, the ideal bow would be a good old longbow. Nothing fancy... no flowing curves, no cogs & wheels, no finely crafted sighting; just a strong stick with a sturdy string. I hope to get to the point where have the shoulder strength to use one but at the moment, with my loose joints, a 50 pound draw weight is easily enough to pop them out.

Close quarters weaponry is a hobby of mine.
    Swords wise we've got 2 katanas, 1 straight katana, a rapier, foil, shortsword, and a sabre used by the dragoons cavalry during the famous charge of the light brigade.
    We've also got a pair of sais, nunchucks, and a collapsible tai-chi sword used for training that used to belong to my uncle. None of those are my forte though, I'm more of a staff user myself with the 'bo' staff being my best weapon. I don't particularly like spears and bladed staves like the dao or naginata, they just don't feel correctly balanced to me.
    I am into so-called exotic weaponry though. One 'weapon' that I hope to rekindle a martial style for that has long been dead is the scythe. The long handle of a digging scythe is a close resemblance to a 'jo' staff and feel that, with a little tweaking to balance the blade more towards the centre of the staff, it can be a very tricky and surprisingly versatile weapon.
    ~ The Thread Won't Cut ~
    "An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." - Martin Buber

My mate and I have made many wooden re-curve bows, along with quarter staffs, and we have many knives, all different sorts, used to have a few swords, crappy display katana's and stuff. actually been hit in the head with a sword, we super glued it =)
    ~~Our power can be replicated, but not our beginings~~