Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51

Thread: Swords, Bows, and Knives, Oh My!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    I'm just going to say it:

    DOES IT MATTER? I none of you here will ever have to use any of these as weapons, there is no guns vs. swords and bows debate, they are both for killing; one is simply superior at what it does. Saying a gun takes no skill makes it obvious you have never used one, give a rifle to most people and they will break an arm trying to fire it unless you tell them, becoming a good marksman is even harder, a bow means you need to take a few more things into consideration but all in all it is inferior, as part of my future job I need to learn how to use a gun and use it well and to be perfectly honest, I couldn't give less of a shit about every human being that learns a few facts about knives and swords, it doesn't matter how fancy you can swing about and act like you know what you’re doing, why? Because a bullet through the head doesn't care, the ability to shoot at someone doesn't change and I’m not going to walk up to you to make it a fair fight. If everyone wants to cling pathetically to the "old" ways then fine, but there is a reason we don't use them anymore.

    To put it simple, people here seem like they need an ego boost with the ol' "I know X about this sword and this military tactic", it's pathetic. The amateur looks at war and the weapons, actual historians like me look at the effects.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talos View Post
    I'm just going to say it:

    To put it simple, people here seem like they need an ego boost with the ol' "I know X about this sword and this military tactic", it's pathetic. The amateur looks at war and the weapons, actual historians like me look at the effects.
    No, a historian looks at all of it and not just pieces of it. A historian looks the weapon's effect on the society and how those weapons changed over time, and how society changed with that weapon and what a certain weapon allowed certain societies to do. A historian, such as a war historian, looks at the wars that occurred and what weapons were used along with whether or not those weapons were effective in that battle or if the battle could have swung another way if a certain had had the weapons of a different group of that same time period.

    And then you have other historians who don't look at wars and instead focus on medicine [medical historians, anyone?] or who look at various writings and works [biblical historians, art historians, etc.] There are many types of historians, not just the ones who focus on wars and the weapons within.

    So, no, historians do not just look at the effects of weapons. They look at every minute detail.

    And before you say "well, you're not a historian", my nice shiny history degree begs to differ with that and so does my current schooling. I may not be getting paid to do the research, but I sure as hell am doing as much research as someone getting paid for it.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    377
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    what a cool topic! I fence, so I get most of my combat satisfaction that way. I've tried sabre, but I'm a foil fencer through and through and always will be. yay fencing!
    I also have pocket knife I bought when I was 13 while on a camping trip to Maine and I love it to death. The only reason I don't have more of a weapons arsenal yet is purely a financial one, so I'm sure it'll happen.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talos View Post
    I'm just going to say it:

    DOES IT MATTER? I none of you here will ever have to use any of these as weapons,

    Our knives are our home protection as well as common tool for things like striping bark for our projects and camping, we don't have guns but anyone who breaks into our house will be met with a big ass knife, or two. and We've talked about using the bows to actually hunt instead of just decoration or to sell...but I'm not a huge fan of venison.. so I dunno, but certainly useable.
    ~~Our power can be replicated, but not our beginings~~

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGhost View Post
    what a cool topic! I fence, so I get most of my combat satisfaction that way. I've tried sabre, but I'm a foil fencer through and through and always will be. yay fencing!
    I also have pocket knife I bought when I was 13 while on a camping trip to Maine and I love it to death. The only reason I don't have more of a weapons arsenal yet is purely a financial one, so I'm sure it'll happen.
    Fencing is really cool. I'd love to get into it. I have a friend who fences in California and he's really good. I'm so jealous. We don't have the opportunity here so I have to wait until I move.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    377
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arawn View Post
    Fencing is really cool. I'd love to get into it. I have a friend who fences in California and he's really good. I'm so jealous. We don't have the opportunity here so I have to wait until I move.
    yeah, fencing clubs tend to be concentrated in certain places and not very well distributed throughout the country. the sport has gained a LOT of popularity since I started back at age 8, so that might be changing a bit. here's to hoping you get the opportunity at some point! it's a great sport.

    ps. who's your friend who fences? the fencing world is small enough that I might have heard his name.

  7. #17

    Default swords,bows, and knives, oh my!

    A gun doesn't take that much skill to use i use guns before and let me say it was nothing. A gun is a gun you can not master a firearm. anybody can use a gun a blind man can use a firearm but can he use and master a sword or a poleaxe i think not. It takes a life time to use and Master a weapon like a sword but not a gun. If someone who doesn't know how to fight and just use's a gun to do his fighting for him then that person doesn't know how to fight and shouldn't be trying to get in to a fight becouse most likely that person will get hurt or killed. I see all these gun guys on youtube saying they can pull out there gun and just shoot someone who is trying to stab them with a knife let me tell you that just becouse you have a gun doesn't mean you can win all the time. Not if the knife guy is trained on how to use a knife the right way. If its knife vs gun my money is on the knife 9 times out of 10. It's not the weapon its the training that wins fights. A bladed weapon will always be more leathal then a gun.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    If its knife vs gun my money is on the knife 9 times out of 10. It's not the weapon its the training that wins fights. A bladed weapon will always be more leathal then a gun.
    You would bring a knife to a gun fight?

  9. #19

    Default swords,bows, and knives, oh my!

    One more thing i do train with swords and knives and it is a lot harder to do then to just shoot a gun. Like to see a gun guy fight with a knife or a sword sometime i bet he will get himself kill be someone like me who is trained on how to use bladed weapons. Plus like a said before i have used guns and that was a pice of cake. I also know how to train with guns like swat training and military training. The military training i know it not modern its world war 1 army training.

  10. #20

    Default

    Well I'm not exactly as "passionate" about this topic as Talos, I must say that you may not have considered range. Sure any idiot who's got a gun and someone attacks them, right in front of them at point blank range, well that doesn't take skill.

    However say you're in the millitary or police force or border patrol (you name it) and you're shooting at someone who's 100ft. or more away and moving, you're going to have to have some practice with that gun. Especially also if you're in a moving vehicle (like a Humvee) and you need to componsate for your speed and direction. All that actually does take a lot of practice and skill.

    However one thing I've thought of is that say you tried to mug someone with a sword. You know most people wouldn't really know what to think about that, they probably wouldn't even take you seriously. Swords (and similar weaponry) have been killing people for thousands of years though, and said victim would probably change their mind if they had a huge slash or puncture wound. It's probably tougher to survive a sword wound than a bullet wound (unless you're using a really high calibure round, .22 you'll probably be ok, .357 or .45 you might want to call 911 very quickly) because I think the size of the wound would lead to a lot of blood loss.

    Hey the thought just occured to me that everyone seems to be on the gun or sword bandwagon but what about explosives? They seem to get neglected. I'm not sure what kind of skill it takes to throw a grenade but you probably might want to work on your throwing arm so it doesn't bounce off something and cause collateral damage to whatever you were trying not to explode. Of course there's also stinger AA (Anti-Aircraft) missles and LAW's (Light Anti-tank Weapon). I'm pretty sure the stinger's have built in computer guidance so, it's possible that any person could use one and it takes no skill. LAW's though I think you do have to aim however a tank is a rather big target and fortified bunkers don't move at all so I guess that couldn't be too hard. A mortar though, I have no idea how to aim one. I think they still teach that in Basic Training, but I didn't join the millitary so even though I think all you do is adjust the angle and drop your shell into it, I'd probably have to go through a lot of trial and error before I got the hang of how to hit my target.

    So explosives, what do you think?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •