Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Swords, Bows, and Knives, Oh My!

I own 6 swords, 2 throwing stars, a machete, 2 hunting knives (6 inches and 12 inches) and I am skilled with all of them. I also own various knives, most of which are collectibles.

Guns may be good ranged weapons but ther is only one flaw...guns need reloading, blades do not.
    Everyone wants someone they can hold and love. Someone who will help pick up the pieces when everything falls apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth-ac View Post
    I also loathe firearms, I feel like I'm simply telling something to point and kill; there's no tangibility, no substance, no life. Guns are an invention designed to make a weakling into a killing machine: not only do they wither a person's physical attributes but also their mental ones; no need for intelligence or skill, just the ability to hold a lump of metal and a working finger.
    How much experience have you had with guns. There is no "point an kill" like so many people who are in-experienced with guns think. It requires accuracy (You think guns hit targets by simply pulling the trigger) timing, correcting your sights, and strength (You think someone who's 152.4 cm high and 45.4kg can accurately and correctly use something the size of a .308, well let me tell you, typically they can't, at lest from my experience).

Using a firearm effectively requires all the attributes you said it lacks. Go on ahead, go tell someone in the military that guns are designed for weaklings, I bet they'll disagree. Have you tried carrying around a .308 for 6-8 hours at a time? It's not easy. And of course it requires intelligence. If you don't know how wind patterns affect the trajectory of your ammo, and don't know exactly when and where to aim, your bullet may as well just be a stick you threw to the wind.

I have to agree with Zeno. Guns are definitely not designed for "weaklings" to have more power. You have to have physical strength to hold the gun steady when it kickbacks if you want to have accuracy. Otherwise you're going to miss the target and might as well be shooting willy-nilly.

I remember the first time I fired a shotgun when I was like...10 or 11. The kickback was so freakin' hard it knocked me back several feet and I completely missed the target (2 Liter bottle of some kind of soda that was hanging from a tree branch). I was sore for days. When I was a little older (around 13-14) I went to my first gun range and tried shooting different handguns. I can't remember exactly what kind they were but I remember the kickback force was very, very strong. Enough to where I missed the target marks on the paper.

I don't have any experience using bows or swords, but I know you need to have a lot of physical strength and stamina to use weapons.

Blog Entries

We have several knives and one sword. Three of our knives are ritual ones - one belonging to Kardegray that is all metal and silver colored, another belonging to Lunatani which is the same kind of knife but golden, and both Cavern-Risen and I share a handmade by the two of us knife which has an antler tine hilt. We also have a pocket knife which we use at work for opening packages (because the switching blade makes it save to carry around everywhere far more then a stiff knife) and a large hunting knife.

Our sword is a replica (not high end mind you) Confederate sword which had belonged to our ‘step-dad’ (by law only) and we ended up taking it sense our mother didn’t want it around him after his physical and mental health starting going down hill.

We used to have a bow which was Cavern-Risen and Lunatani’s delight growing up. It was a simple string bow but they got actually really good at it, but then our mother sold it right under their nose during a garage sale way when we were still young teenagers. They’ve never had the chance again but if we had the time and we could find a simple bow like that all over again they would start practicing again I‘m sure. They have always loved archery dearly as an art.

Kardegray is more of a gun guy, but we don’t own any nor do I think we would. Not because any of us appose guns as we know a number of people who own them (this is Arkansas after all) and even a number of people who have conceal carry permits. We would never own a gun more because its just not something the rest of us want really. He doesn’t enjoy older guns, Kardegray but then again of the nine of us he is the most savvy and keen to learn military history then the rest of us who have other favorites.

- Earth Listener

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
    How much experience have you had with guns. There is no "point an kill" like so many people who are in-experienced with guns think. [...] Using a firearm effectively requires all the attributes you said it lacks.
    I own 2 shotguns, have tried with pistols ranging from your light air-pistol to your standard M1911 (haven't tried a magnum yet but intend to), and several rifles of varying types.
    Not meaning to blow my own horn here but I've never missed a pistol or rifle target within their capable range and I have an above 80% accuracy with the shotguns. I've never had ANY training, simply the guns placed in my hands and being told which way to point them.

That's why I say it takes no skill; if a person like me, who's not particularly strong or fit, can simply pick up a gun and fire it with a fair amount of accuracy, it should be a doddle for anyone given a basics run-through.

Go on ahead, go tell someone in the military that guns are designed for weaklings, I bet they'll disagree.
    I have done several times and, yes, they disagreed but it doesn't change my view on it.

Have you tried carrying around a .308 for 6-8 hours at a time? It's not easy.
    I haven't carried a .308 around for that long, no. It's been a long time since I carried one so I can't easily think of a weight comparison... About 8 pounds? If that's the case, my shotgun weighs about that and I've carried that around for a good 8 hours no problem.

And of course it requires intelligence. If you don't know how wind patterns affect the trajectory of your ammo, and don't know exactly when and where to aim, your bullet may as well just be a stick you threw to the wind.
    I'll give you that, it does take skill to factor in these but I'd like to point out that this is no different from any other projectile weapon, including a bow.
    ~ The Thread Won't Cut ~
    "An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." - Martin Buber

I own 2 shotguns, have tried with pistols ranging from your light air-pistol to your standard M1911 (haven't tried a magnum yet but intend to), and several rifles of varying types.
    Not meaning to blow my own horn here but I've never missed a pistol or rifle target within their capable range and I have an above 80% accuracy with the shotguns. I've never had ANY training, simply the guns placed in my hands and being told which way to point them.
    That's why I say it takes no skill; if a person like me, who's not particularly strong or fit, can simply pick up a gun and fire it with a fair amount of accuracy, it should be a doddle for anyone given a basics run-through.[/QUOTE]

Well you're very lucky then. Everyone I've ever met has had to be trained.

I haven't carried a .308 around for that long, no. It's been a long time since I carried one so I can't easily think of a weight comparison... About 8 pounds? If that's the case, my shotgun weighs about that and I've carried that around for a good 8 hours no problem.
    Add that onto the weight of survival and or hunting equipment. A gun is hardly on it's own when it comes to carrying it around.

All I will say, it that in my experience, you are an exception when it comes to use. The only other person I've met like that was one of my half-sisters. I wish I had that kind of luck first starting off .

Blog Entries

I don't like explosives. What I do like is thermite. I have thermite sculptures. They are the results of what happens when you put thermite in a coffee can.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

-snip-
    I guess I never thought of it like that. I just assumed it was normal.
    Sorry if I came across stand-off-ish.
    ----------

Explosives!? Can't say I've got much of an opinion on them, never used them. I like the idea of the element of planning involved, almost like playing a chess game. They're probably a quite fiddly though, get the mix wrong and it could either blow up in your face or do nothing altogether.
    ~ The Thread Won't Cut ~
    "An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." - Martin Buber

I've never had a real sword or bow or anything, but lots of people know I want one. I have been trying for a while to make some kind of fake sword for playing with my nephew and maybe neice(s), and a bow and arrows too. I absolutely love swords and have always wanted one, hopefully someday I'll save up enough money to buy one. (Probably years from now when I move out and get a job, lol.)

I don't really know about all the types of swords or weapons or anything, but I prefer them over guns because I agree with Arawn, it feels like "cheating" with a gun.

Default Swords,bows, and knives, oh my!

Hey karawolfDragon if you are looking to buy a sword or something then here are sites that i go to all the time. COLDSTEEL.COM http://TRADITIONALARCHERYBOWS.COM