View Poll Results: Which one? (Please re-vote.)

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Liminal Wilderness

5 19.23%
  • Liminal Spaces

5 19.23%
  • Betwixt and Between

11 42.31%
  • Legendary Bestiary

5 19.23%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Name (Re-Vote)

I voted for the second option, though they are all good names.

-Vaati
    Feel free to ask us anything! :p

Quote Originally Posted by Khamaseen View Post
    I put in my vote for Liminal Wilderness, but it looks like The Menagerie is going to win out. I'm not too fond of it because I've had to work at tearing down "traveling menageries" who mistreated their animals and performed illegal activity where the animals would be forced to fight each other for entertainment (a glamorized dog fighting ring, specifically) in my line of work before... but I guess it's just a name, not a big deal, it just triggers some bad memories.
    I have some dislike of the term menagerie, too, primarily dealing with what I know of the origins and forms animal menageries have had, many of them as animal collections kept for superficial reasons, even in the disinterest of the animals' health and well being (granted, zoos have a terrible track record of similar, except mainly habitat zoos). It's probably due to my work and college study in captive animal management that turned me off to the term. Normally I'm not as bothered by the term, but my mind feels resistant to associating it with a deep, personal part of my animality and self =/.

However, I know most people don't have that connotation of it (I assume people here see it as a diverse gathering or 'collection' of animals), so if it ends up the preferred name for the site via vote, I'm okay with it and will support the site regardless of course. I just won't personally vote for it myself.
    My therianthropy writings:
    ~Check out Project Shift, and help contribute to its further development
    ~Poly'kin of: mongoose, domestic cat, domestic horse, winged theropod (erdenvogel), and vampire'kin (blutpir) [not psi/sang]

Quote Originally Posted by Sonne_Spiritwind View Post
    I have some dislike of the term menagerie, too, primarily dealing with what I know of the origins and forms animal menageries have had, many of them as animal collections kept for superficial reasons, even in the disinterest of the animals' health and well being (granted, zoos have a terrible track record of similar, except mainly habitat zoos). It's probably due to my work and college study in captive animal management that turned me off to the term. Normally I'm not as bothered by the term, but my mind feels resistant to associating it with a deep, personal part of my animality and self =/.

However, I know most people don't have that connotation of it (I assume people here see it as a diverse gathering or 'collection' of animals), so if it ends up the preferred name for the site via vote, I'm okay with it and will support the site regardless of course. I just won't personally vote for it myself.
    Yeah... I've been thinking it over a bit more and I'm not sure I'm comfortable associating the term with my personal identity at all. I mean... I'll still help with the site if it's the name everyone wants, but there's always going to be the pain of watching an innocent dog slowly die of blood loss because of the mistreatment caused by people using that term every time I log on to the site, and the history behind that word leaves a trail of blood with all it has stood for in the past.

So at this point I just want... anything else to win, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Khamaseen View Post
    Yeah... I've been thinking it over a bit more and I'm not sure I'm comfortable associating the term with my personal identity at all. I mean... I'll still help with the site if it's the name everyone wants, but there's always going to be the pain of watching an innocent dog slowly die of blood loss because of the mistreatment caused by people using that term every time I log on to the site, and the history behind that word leaves a trail of blood with all it has stood for in the past.

So at this point I just want... anything else to win, please.
    That's terrible it's such a triggering word for you, and it's sort of triggery for me, just to a lesser extent and less personal/direct experience based. It surprises me that notably more people don't associate the term with negative things, especially considering the past of animal menageries is riddled with negativity and animal cruelty.

I'm all for us finally getting a consensus on a site name, but we've passed off other names for reasons a lot less intense and serious than this. I just can't agree myself that the best term/phrase for this new theriomythic/animality site should be a term with a large history of referring to animal collections that involved various types of animal cruelty and poor welfare, and existed for showing off how royal and rich people were, or even the 'for exhibition' part, which doesn't look reflective of the new site's goals, purpose, and potential atmosphere. And a member shouldn't have to be negatively triggered with thoughts and sights of animal cruelty every time they go to the site or read/hear about it. Animal menageries aren't and haven't been particularly positive things, but we're sitting here acting like their concept is good enough to be our site name. That just doesn't sit with me well :/.
    My therianthropy writings:
    ~Check out Project Shift, and help contribute to its further development
    ~Poly'kin of: mongoose, domestic cat, domestic horse, winged theropod (erdenvogel), and vampire'kin (blutpir) [not psi/sang]

We just put Betwixt and Between because it seemed the most different out of them all.
    Whatever everyone likes best, though.
    Dal momento che sono vivo...questa l'unica strada che posso prendere.

бороться до конца

When I originally suggested the name "Menagerie" I had no idea it was so full of negative connotations for so many people. I have no experience whatsoever in dealing with these real life menageries and didn't know they had such awful reputations; I suppose that's what I get for learning all of my vocabulary straight from the dictionary. >.< While I still enjoy the term, I'd hate for it to make others feel uncomfortable... I just didn't know that it would.
    "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall."
    -Ray Bradbury

why not the paths less traveled?
    "To be forgotten it worse then death." (Unknown)
    o-O " Oh, and are you going to eat that?"( Robert)

I originally cast my vote for The Menagerie. Seeing the posts by Khamaseen and Sonne, I now say that if I knew how to re-do my vote in the poll, I would select Betwixt and Between instead.
    Ix | Jarek | Jesse
    [SIZE="1"]Queer, aromantic, relationship anarchist, Pagan, neurodivergent, mentally ill.
    Pronouns: Ne / nem / nir / nemself
    Dreamwidth | Pagan Blog | Tumblr[/SIZE]

I voted for Liminal Wilderness

I voted for "The Menagerie". It has a nice fresh vibe to it, and doesn't sound pretentious. I can just imagine the site's look: charcoal black with silvery embroidery, aligned in bold segments with muted greens and earthy tones; crisp lines and finely pieced textures. Mm.

The only negative, if it is a negative, is the pronunciation of the phrase. It took me a couple attempts to get it right. "Men.are.jeer.ee"?