Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf Children (Anime)

The DVD release is November 26th. I have it preordered on Amazon.

I really like this movie. I think the animation and the soundtrack are especially nice and it's cute. I especially liked the middle bit, the beginning was too sad for me and then it got a bit strange near the end.

It looks ok but I'm more looking forward to seeing that other werewolf show called The Guardians of Luna. That looks a lot better then wolf children. I can not find any information on when it is coming out on DVD.

Watched this last night! I found it alright. Loved the backgrounds and animation, they were absolutely beautiful. Didn't care for the super touchy-feely story. Wish there was more werewolf stuff and violence, but that's just me. Still, definitely worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Fruit of the Moon View Post
    Wish there was more werewolf stuff and violence, but that's just me. Still, definitely worth a watch.
    I figure, almost everything out there about werewolves is stuffed full of (often wonderful, other times tired and cliche) "werewolf stuff and violence" - it might be nice to see werewolf fiction that isn't comprised primarily of, "He transformed, and it hurt a lot. There were some mafiosos/werewolf hunters/bullies, so he killed all of them, and then lapped the blood of his foes from the floor." I've never seen a touchy-feely werewolf story... could be a nice departure from the usual.

Oh I watched this recently because I found out about it from a friend. Spoiler warning for the rest of this post.

I thought it was really cute, although I was a little disappointed in the polarity of the children. I can understand their need to be separated from society when they're young and still need to learn to control themselves--however, why can't they tend learn to be part of both worlds as they seem meant to be?

I was rather disappointed that the girl followed the stereotype of beginning wild but being "tamed". She seemed like a very strong-willed girl who was proud of herself, and it's understandable that can change, but it was kind of disappointing to me, who did go the route of being proud of who I am in the face of opposition.

I also agree that the whole "protector of the forest" is just... eh. I hate the idea that someone has to "rule" the forests. I also don't see how he couldn't have protected the forests as a human and a wolf. Probably could do more work in politics to protect the woods--I kind of hope the girl goes on to do that.

ALSO WHY JAPAN, WHY ARE LITTLE KIDS ALWAYS SUDDENLY ADULTS?? They are little kids. Hell, those kids weren't even in high school yet.

Bluh. I did enjoy how cute it was, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth.
    [FONT="Georgia"]"Everyone sees what you appear to be,
    few experience what you really are
    ."[/FONT]
    ―Niccolò Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by yourdeer View Post
    I figure, almost everything out there about werewolves is stuffed full of (often wonderful, other times tired and cliche) "werewolf stuff and violence" - it might be nice to see werewolf fiction that isn't comprised primarily of, "He transformed, and it hurt a lot. There were some mafiosos/werewolf hunters/bullies, so he killed all of them, and then lapped the blood of his foes from the floor." I've never seen a touchy-feely werewolf story... could be a nice departure from the usual.
    Yeah, I'd like to see just one good werewolf movie. Something that's more about the struggle between being man and beast. This movie got pretty close, I just wanted to see more of them acting out on their potentially violent instincts and having to learn to restrain themselves and keep a balance.

Quote Originally Posted by kitfallen View Post
    ALSO WHY JAPAN, WHY ARE LITTLE KIDS ALWAYS SUDDENLY ADULTS?? They are little kids. Hell, those kids weren't even in high school yet.
    I didn't like this either, haha. I think I would of enjoyed it better if it was more about the kids learning to balance themselves between man and beast and finding the best of both worlds in the end. Apparently they were what, 10? And they were acting like grown-ass adults. I found it more difficult to relate to them when they started choosing sides.

On the subject of little kids acting like adults- at least in this movie, I think it has something to do with how the kids were werewolves.

From what I understood, in the movie, the kids were considered adults (at least Ame was) because, as a wolf, he WAS an adult. His wolf form looked fully grown, his father mentioned something to that effect to the mother as well when she was unconscious.

I still really enjoy the movie. But I love the sappy, family aspect of it. Its a tough single mom that pushed forward after tragedy and, through hard work, etched out a safe haven for herself and her children. That's something you don't see very often in Japanese culture (or children's movies in general- cough cough Disney cough).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yoraeryu View Post
    I still really enjoy the movie. But I love the sappy, family aspect of it. Its a tough single mom that pushed forward after tragedy and, through hard work, etched out a safe haven for herself and her children. That's something you don't see very often in Japanese culture (or children's movies in general- cough cough Disney cough).
    This, a million times this!

As far as accurately depicting wolves? Check your wolf-knowledge at the door. But story?
    Man, I enjoyed that movie.
    "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." - C.S. Lewis

Wolf Children will be released in North America on DVD and Blue-ray on November 23 2013. http://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Children

Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    Wolf Children will be released in North America on DVD and Blue-ray on November 23 2013.
    Really? That's my birthday! Which actually suck because that means I probably wouldn't receive it for then! D:
    Time you enjoy wasting isn't always wasted time. ~ phrase from Salt Lake City, Utah