Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100 LastLast

Thread: Therian Daily Thought - The 4th!

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus Paws View Post
    So, since I got past the 'wolfaboo' phase which I experience a few years ago when I was younger (which I think 9/10 people go through to begin with - although I didn't think of myself as a therian during this time, and it thankfully didn't last long), I've been put off by the vast majority of typical wolf fiction, whether it be media, 'teen werewolf' stuff, etc. I've found it to be at best cringey, and at worse harmful.

However, as people who've seen mine and hotdogwolf's messages* will know, they introduced me to Wolf's Rain. I've never liked anime, but I thought I'd give it a try. Anyway, the storyline contains everything which I'd usually consider to be awful, such as wolves transforming into human disguise, opening paradise, and being overly-personified.

However, I absolutely loved it, which got me thinking - to what extent should we be frowning upon these portrayals of wolves (and other theriotypes)? Is it not a case of the content being only as harmful as the viewer is susceptible to it being (e.g. young, inexperienced wolf-lovers would find it as a source of misinformation which they'd consume, whereas most of us here would not allow it to influence our perception of wolves)? Or should we be condemning all similar portrayals?

*(Side Note: Let me know if visitor messages, rather than PM's, are annoying people - I love to read through other people's, so I've been assuming others may feel the same?)
    Thank you Lupus. I agree with everything you said. While I don't think we should be frowning upon the portrayals of animals on a cartoon show or TV show all that much seeing how it will not do any good, I think that its up to the viewer to understand and get the right information about the type of animal they may have in interest in and not for that person to think that what they are watching is nothing but a made up kids show that does not show how animals really are and that it is just make-believe. It is up to the kid to understand what is real and what is not. If not, Get help.

Blog Entries

Talked about my therianthropy to my mother, sister and aunt. It started with my aunt. I told her I was feeling 'off' all week. I spoke to her about my dysphorias and therianthropy . It was actually a pleasant conversation. She suggested I tell my therapist and family, which -sigh- was a long time coming. I've been quite upset lately and they deserve to know why.

My sister actually had a good understanding with it and I was so surprised when she backed me up. My mother had a much harder time understanding and thought therianthropy was a cult, couldn't understand shifts, etc. I tried to explain the best I could and tried to describe how not all shifts were a negative experience, and I would not be '45 and grazing on a football field'...
    Timber wolf therian-- changeling-- horse hearted/therian
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, loosing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    Talked about my therianthropy to my mother, sister and aunt. It started with my aunt. I told her I was feeling 'off' all week. I spoke to her about my dysphorias and therianthropy . It was actually a pleasant conversation. She suggested I tell my therapist and family, which -sigh- was a long time coming. I've been quite upset lately and they deserve to know why.

My sister actually had a good understanding with it and I was so surprised when she backed me up. My mother had a much harder time understanding and thought therianthropy was a cult, couldn't understand shifts, etc. I tried to explain the best I could and tried to describe how not all shifts were a negative experience, and I would not be '45 and grazing on a football field'...
    If they don't get it, You should try to show them some videos on youtube about what therianthropy is. Maybe try and have your family to talk to us and we can help them to understand it better. If you need help Vin. Just let us know.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; August 12th, 2017 at 07:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    If they don't get it, You should try to show them some videos on youtube about what therianthropy is. Maybe try and have your family to talk to us and we can help them to understand it better. If you need help Vin. Just let us know.
    Yeah, I gave them a few links and am letting them explore it on their own time. If they have questions, they can come to me. They need to know that this isn't something 'new'. Therianthropy has been with me for many years now.
    Thanks for the suggestions Hige.
    Timber wolf therian-- changeling-- horse hearted/therian
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, loosing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    Yeah, I gave them a few links and am letting them explore it on their own time. If they have questions, they can come to me. They need to know that this isn't something 'new'. Therianthropy has been with me for many years now.
    Thanks for the suggestions Hige.
    Your Welcome Vin, Good luck my friend. Have you told them about Werelist or any of us.?

You know you're a therian when you persistently mis-type "shit" as "shift", not the other way around.
    Psychological therian.

"If it howls like a wolf, snarls like a wolf, and thinks it's a wolf, then it probably is a wolf." - micheal65536

You know you say shit too much when you almost always mistype "shift" as "shit."
    the birds are back in town
    It rhymes with gurglin'
    Wait no it doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Kerguelen View Post
    You know you say shit too much when you almost always mistype "shift" as "shit."
    tbh I don't swear that much, that's probably part of the problem.
    Psychological therian.

"If it howls like a wolf, snarls like a wolf, and thinks it's a wolf, then it probably is a wolf." - micheal65536

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by micheal65536 View Post
    You know you're a therian when you persistently mis-type "shit" as "shift", not the other way around.
    Bonus points if you takes you a second to figure out what someone means when they talk about shifts at work
    https://discord.gg/dgBR989 my therian/theriomythic discord group ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Lopori View Post
    Bonus points if you takes you a second to figure out what someone means when they talk about shifts at work
    Does it count that I thought you were referring to mental/phantom shifting while you are at work?
    Psychological therian.