Page 98 of 100 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 LastLast

Thread: Therian Daily Thought - The 4th!

Ugh I hate thinking I'm connecting with someone and I divulge too much. And then they feel because they have been through some shit that they have it all figured out. The wolf is sensing, the loneliness is mourning, but untimely the wolf is turning around and walking away. I just can't let myself get close to people. I need to realize I don't think I'll meet anyone who truly understands. Being this is being loneliness. I know like I sound like a corny dumb poem. Eh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTooth View Post
    It's been a little under 2 years or so since back on here, and I've been busier than hell in those 2 years.

Busy enough that I haven't really had time to sit down and think about the status of my personal therianthropy. Now that it seems everything has settled, I think it's time to play some catch-up with myself (and others!). I feel bad, because I feel like I used to have really close connections with some people in the community of whom I considered friends, and lost connections with resourceful acquaintances.

Anyways - shiftiness and my feeling of being an amphicyonid comes and goes. These past 2 years, that feeling would only pop in for a small fraction of the time that it used to, and really went into a long state of dormancy. Now that it has completely flip-flopped, I am now feeling more animalistic than ever. Dormancy has happened before, but I'm not sure this long.

Maybe it's from obtaining more time and gaining more stability in my life? Bored? Whatever caused the resurgence, I am actually sort of relieved. I have fond memories of being able to vent frustrations and sharing ideas on Werelist, and shifting, so I'm hoping I stay longer again. Like stay-stay this time, not comment and leave for another couple months, but who knows.

On a side note: I feel old as shit.

Yeah, I can relate to this. Going through a period of dormancy when it comes to therian type things and then once it resurfaces, wanting to reconnect to the community after a hiatus. It's actually a healthy thing to do in some cases. Especially with the stresses of everyday life.

I've had a lot of downtime this summer, but that downtime was spent fixing up my mental and emotional health, planning for the future and thinking about university. I occasionally focused on therianthropy because with everything else going on I felt disconnected- which is normal- from my kin side. Now that things are falling into place slowly, I am more aware of my kin side. Thankfully for many of us, therianthropy is something that is permanently a part of us- it will never go away.
    Ugh I hate thinking I'm connecting with someone and I divulge too much. And then they feel because they have been through some shit that they have it all figured out. The wolf is sensing, the loneliness is mourning, but untimely the wolf is turning around and walking away. I just can't let myself get close to people. I need to realize I don't think I'll meet anyone who truly understands. Being this is being loneliness. I know like I sound like a corny dumb poem. Eh
    This is why I mainly use the forum if I'm feeling lonely in this manner. There's no one I feel I need to explain my therianthropy to currently, but I understand the loneliness of it all. There's nothing better than a face to face deep conversation with someone who allows you to be 'you'. People like that are not easy to find. Try to take some comfort in the forum- as many people are in the same situation.
    --

My daily kin thought:
    I've been feeling shifty and homesick whenever I read or re-watch GNG or GDW (anime and manga). I'm not a dog therian, but I think a big part of it is that my changeling kintype lived in pack like structures, had territorial skirmishes and what not (similar things). I miss that a lot, and the shows and manga kind of...let me live through my memories a little? I don't know how to describe it really.
    Last edited by Vintage; July 29th, 2017 at 02:07 PM.
    Timber wolf therian-- changeling-- horse hearted/therian
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, loosing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

Facinating experiment, I tried looking up my animal species in "Akinator" http://en.akinator.com/

And it showed me this book series "Foxcraft" http://foxcraft.scholastic.com/

Ya pretty much Answer the Questions Akinator asks in a way accurate to the Species you are looking for.
    (Think it will be interesting to see what results some of you get)

All this talk about relationships and connecting with other people...lol I can't do that therian or not. So, solidarity from me?

All the questioning of my identity recently, but I am not questioning the cormorant part at all. It's one of the few things about me that feels certain. (Damn that it's not something I should bring up in everyday conversation, because I can talk about that.)
    the birds are back in town
    It rhymes with gurglin'
    Wait no it doesn't

Blog Entries

I wish I could spend my whole life underwater. I also wish for a light body and wings that wouldn't depend on wind to be able to carry me. Things like these make therianthropy confusing for me, since my actual identity isn't always directly what I wish for. I's hard to determine whether I am a bird that actually does these things or simply a bird who wants to.

Hige's Therian daily Thought: Some dog just pooped on my front lawn, Is that a challenge.? Because from my count it would be one stranger dog vs One Wolf and 2 of my dogs.

Grey, You feeling old makes me ancient then! I too have had the shiftiness wane significantly. Part is due to other external pressures and others due to location and circumstances. This whole idea that "I am not shifting maybe I'm not a therian" is complete bullshit. We have met, you and I are both wolves and that is that. I will never, ever, view you as any different. The level and intensity of shifts does not define you as wolf or not. We are, and we adapt as best we can to whatever our situations are....but dear god, I cannot express how much I wish the collar that I have allowed to be placed upon me be released! But even that is terrifying...bcs I actually like my pack. So yes...what you are experiencing is likely normal and a reaction to try to become....more human, and more domesticated, and god forbid more normal....but do not think for a moment that this somehow makes you less wolf. I too have been away for a while and will try to stay more active. Welcome back Grey!

Quote Originally Posted by Amarok View Post
    This whole idea that "I am not shifting maybe I'm not a therian" is complete bullshit.
    I completely agree with this. There seems to be a large focus in the community on shifting, to the extent that it seems almost tautological with therianthropy. You don't have to shift to be a therian.
    “We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly perceive it to be – the mythologized epitome of a savage ruthless killer – which is, in reality, no more than a reflected image of ourself.” - Farley Mowat, Never Cry Wolf

So, since I got past the 'wolfaboo' phase which I experience a few years ago when I was younger (which I think 9/10 people go through to begin with - although I didn't think of myself as a therian during this time, and it thankfully didn't last long), I've been put off by the vast majority of typical wolf fiction, whether it be media, 'teen werewolf' stuff, etc. I've found it to be at best cringey, and at worse harmful.

However, as people who've seen mine and hotdogwolf's messages* will know, they introduced me to Wolf's Rain. I've never liked anime, but I thought I'd give it a try. Anyway, the storyline contains everything which I'd usually consider to be awful, such as wolves transforming into human disguise, opening paradise, and being overly-personified.

However, I absolutely loved it, which got me thinking - to what extent should we be frowning upon these portrayals of wolves (and other theriotypes)? Is it not a case of the content being only as harmful as the viewer is susceptible to it being (e.g. young, inexperienced wolf-lovers would find it as a source of misinformation which they'd consume, whereas most of us here would not allow it to influence our perception of wolves)? Or should we be condemning all similar portrayals?

*(Side Note: Let me know if visitor messages, rather than PM's, are annoying people - I love to read through other people's, so I've been assuming others may feel the same?)
    “We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly perceive it to be – the mythologized epitome of a savage ruthless killer – which is, in reality, no more than a reflected image of ourself.” - Farley Mowat, Never Cry Wolf

You know, there's not enough cormorant fiction for me to say how I feel about it.
    the birds are back in town
    It rhymes with gurglin'
    Wait no it doesn't