Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast

Thread: The Daily Groan (A thread to ease your pain) - The 3rd!

Blog Entries

Copy paste. I started a thread in kinM because they didn't have a daily groan thread yet. I think it's off to a good start (HA):

'My daily vent is one coming from 7am- this thread created because I am so becoming disillusioned. Jobs. Jobs jobs jobs. If you're out of college you better have one lined up, otherwise you're in for hell. There are pre-assessments to every chain store and online entry level everything. These tests are usually over 70 questions long and will take you some time. Worth the effort right? No. In reality, they are designed to deceive- you answer how they want you to answer otherwise, despite years of experience, you might not get the job because you did "bad" on the test. This is no willy nilly personality assessment. This is a way to see if someone will conform, hence all the 'I won't challange my boss even if they're wrong' questions on these tests. If you are the type to call someone else, don't put that, That's not what they want to hear. If you show too much creativity, you're seen as a possible risk. If you answer agree, neutral and disagree a lot you'll be seen as too basic. If you do too well on the math, they might flag you for being dishonest, if you try to suck up and answer what they want to hear (extrovert skills, team player, won't question authority) you might be flagged for gaming the system- or if those really aren't your traits, you may self sabotage yourself. All for what- the pleasure of working for well under 30k in an entry level job, starving to make a living. How about stop get to know a personality not by a test but by work ethic. Let experience do the talking. Too many entry level jobs rely on stupid shit and then employers scratch their heads and say "we're short staffed", "it's hard to get people"- NO you aren't giving people a chance.

Reality is even with a degree, many former students cannot get a job. You do not need these stupid and tedious tests to let someone bag groceries. There is no such thing as the perfect employee. You cannot build a team using said tests, they do not tell any real personality. I have been on so many job sites and their forums- I am in such good company that it is borderline maddening and depressing to see so may people unemployed for reasons that are so asinine. To see people passed up with years of experience, unemployed because 'new interns' can be paid less than seniors, the cycle is so vicious. Is there any wonder that we have a fucking problem with jobs in this country when people aren't even given a chance? I suppose it all comes down to networking, but even then it's a toss up. I have my degree, I've been in some type of work since before college,but even with the old line "your resume is impressive" I guess it means nothing. My resume is proof that I am a people person, it is varied for someone out of college- yet I guess that means nothing to the places that don't even give you a curtesy of a rejection letter. Nowadays, you won't hear back and that's standard business practice.

I hate this system so much that it makes me dysphoric. If you have a stable job- good on you. If you've been unemployed and have been through this job search cycle, you probably get this. Mostly gone are the days in which you could walk in, do an interview or two, and hear back in a week. Now it takes a resume, lengthy assessment, more than two interviews....and after all that you might just get dropped anyway without being formerly told. I notice jobs with mid-high salary have a bit more 'class' when it comes to that at least. Networking may be my saving grace as I know many people, but even then, it takes time. Too bad time=money. Money that's going out and not coming in. I'm sick of it all. At least in nature, if you got a bad draw you'd probably die quick. Here, you suffer- years and years . No wonder why the great depression era was peak for suicides. It must be worse now with high schoolers and students getting degrees and being told that they're actually worth a guaranteed jobs. What bullshit.

TL;DR: We're back to serfdom- where only the wealthy matter and the rest are all his/her slaves. Time to post in a different rant thread on a different forum because life goes on whether you can't make ends met or not. At least there is some part of society that cares I guess; the ones that run food pantries and warming centers...because they realize that the amount of $ you make should not mean you should die during the cold snap out on the street I guess (and no, I'm not homeless, but for those who are- and for those having a hard time- my heart goes out to you). This is much crueler than being some prey animal that was born not a good runner. At least the predator can give you a quick death. In society here, you agonize until you are begging for one in some cases.'

It was suggested (on discord) that I should move around to find jobs. I am only looking in areas in which I have family/know someone. I am not about to be a 24 yr old female with a very young face moving to areas in which I do not have contact with someone. That's not safe at all and it's risky. I already am not good with directions and I'll come off as a possible tourist- which already presents its own risk. Maybe in a decade where the stress will age me and prevent possible unwanted situations.
    Last edited by Vintage; January 29th, 2019 at 09:06 AM.
    Timber wolf therian-- changeling-- horse hearted
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, loosing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

I know how it is Vintage. Trying to get a job when no one is hiring is hard. Especially if you live in a place where I am. Where there is not going to much in the way of jobs. Don't give up hope. I am sure there is something out there for us.

Blog Entries

Out of curiosity, have you joined a Satanic cult? Most of the Satanists I've encountered have been intelligent, rational people who support freedom and oppose bullshit.

But, your grandma sounds like she's in a cult herself, one that worships a dead carpenter and suppresses individual thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Zami View Post
    My grandma sent me a letter deadnaming me and accusing me of having changed my name to be part of a satanist cult.

What the everlasting fudge???

Forever Running, RunningRed

Blog Entries

One option is to just "shun" her. Ignore any messages, calls, emails, etc. Keep the messages for reference, but don't respond.
    If you get crap for it, point out that her ignorance, accusation and lack of love for who you are (as opposed to whom granny thinks you should be) is causing you mental distress.
    If your granma continues to pull the Satanic crap, or makes accusations that you're not being a good Christian, feel free to point out that she's a hypocrite and not a good christian, followed by citing bible verses of stuff she's violating. Like love thy neighbor, not being judgemental, keeping the sabbath, not washing lepers feets, etc.

But it's what you feel comfortable doing. Be true to yourself when dealing with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Zami View Post
    I hesitate to explain to her what being transgender means but I guess it would just make it even more cult-like in her head... SMH

I wanna troll her and send her a Baphomet plushie xD But it could kill her with a heart attack ^^;

Blog Entries

Out of curiosity, have you joined a Satanic cult? Most of the Satanists I've encountered have been intelligent, rational people who support freedom and oppose bullshit.
    RunningRed not gonna lie I thought you were talking to me with that since your quoted 'quote' was at the bottom. LOL

--
    Yeah Hige I know- no sense in giving up. That'll leave you with nothing.
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, loosing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    RunningRed not gonna lie I thought you were talking to me with that since your quoted 'quote' was at the bottom. LOL

--
    Yeah Hige I know- no sense in giving up. That'll leave you with nothing.
    Hey, If I get something first would you like me to tell them that you are also looking for a job too.? Maybe I can try and get you a job where I am.?

Blog Entries

This I can relate to, having worked for multiple companies, including WalMart, which had those "personality tests".
    And the reason for that was mostly to have a system for identifying possible problem employees, and standardize stuff to run from the home office. Instead of letting the store manager actually manage.
    I also worked for a call center that quickly went from good management to crap and relying on metrics for everything.

But, depending on your field, there can be options with smaller companies that aren't part of a huge chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    Copy paste. I started a thread in kinM because they didn't have a daily groan thread yet. I think it's off to a good start (HA):

~trimmed for length~

Blog Entries

If it's utilized that way then yes, but a majority use the test as pass or fail indicators, used for IQ screening despite no direct correlation.

Vintage: I got the same feeling of "job or GTFO" but it's not new, halas. It's just that it was a bit better for boomers and now they think everybody has it as easy as they had and therefore if you have it harder it's your fault. SMH

RunningRed: I'm not Satanist, I'm an eclectic Wiccan of some sort. But my family does not know. I've never been super Christian anyway. But Granny seems to think that since I'm interested in mythologies and old religions, it means that I've "fallen out of rationality" by taking up a chosen name (to best reflect my non-binarity) inspired by pagan mythologies, and that it means that I'm in a cult. Since in one of many versions of the myth I drew my chosen name from, there is a goat involved, well, goat = Satanism = bad = cult.

I think you're right, I'd better just ignore her letter and just send her a postcard of "Hi how are you? Lots of snow here, XOXO" in a few weeks. (my family gives me crap when I completely shun them, same if I talk about important/serious things, the only way to keep them calm is to postcard-xoxo them every couple month)
    The avatar comes from HERE

Blog Entries

Having one of those moments where I'm really worried, but I don't know about what.

It's like when you're playing Skyrim and the fight music starts but there's no enemies to be seen.....
    Last edited by Kerguelen; January 29th, 2019 at 11:35 PM.