Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Groan (A thread to ease your pain) - The 3rd!

@ Wolfgirl44 - I'm still at a loss as I have no idea what "Homestuck" is or what the reference is for. It's usually helpful if a person using slang makes it clear what they are talking about, as there are people who may not understand the meaning behind the word.

(I think I've heard somewhere else it's some kind of web-comic but please don't quote me on that - I'm not really into such things.)

Daily Groan: I'll have to visit University today for one single course which probably will end early. Attendance is compulsory, sadly, since the material discussed in it is terribly easy - otherwise I'd have a long weekend every week over the course of the whole semester.
    'Whoever strives with all his might, that man we can redeem.' (Goethe)

Blog Entries

Tore off another nail. I don't know how I managed. I can never get over how much those damned things can bleed. It feels mega icky, too.
    A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Somnia View Post
    @ Wolfgirl44 - I'm still at a loss as I have no idea what "Homestuck" is or what the reference is for. It's usually helpful if a person using slang makes it clear what they are talking about, as there are people who may not understand the meaning behind the word.
    Homestuck is an insufferably long and involved webcomic, more or less. I've got a few acquaintances whose lives more or less revolve around the homestuck fandom. I pick up some things via proximity to them, but know enough to stay FAR away from actually reading it. As far as I'm aware, a moirail is essentially a term for a manner of platonic soulmate/ partnership with someone. Just, for reference.
    "As we reach for the stars we neglect the flowers at our feet. For epochs to come the peaks will still pierce the lonely vistas, but when the last snow leopard has stalked among the crags and the last markhor has stood on a promontory, his ruff waving in the breeze, a spark of life will have gone, turning the mountains into stones of silence." - George B. Schaller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGhost View Post
    Also, I'm angry at Lord Asswipe and I don't even know him. There aren't enough good landlords out there. I've had my fair share of terrible ones too.
    Thank you for your kind words.

He has henceforth been christened "Lord Asswipe". Yesterday, after stringing me along again, Lord Asswipe texted me to say that he hadn't emailed me the application form because somebody who he met yesterday has taken the room. Meanwhile, I've been pursuing that space for a month now, and it's not my fault that he's stood me up on all three occasions.

I was so angry the other night that I was fantasizing about unspeakable acts. I calmed myself down with twice my normal dose of Valium (prescribed for PTSD). Today, he texted me to offer me a smaller room for $350 a month. That's not much money, but the apartment is the dumpiest dump you can imagine. The walls and window panes are rotting, with paint flaking off everything. It hasn't been repainted in what looks like a century. The (formerly white) bathtub is permanently stained dark grey with god knows what. It's only a step up from living in an abandoned building.

Call me tomorrow, he said, and we'll discuss whether or not you can move in on Sunday.

The current residents kept telling me stories about what a bad area it is. What a novelty! Usually I'm the most dangerous creature on the streets at night. I wonder what this particular area is known for. Drug trafficking? Prostitution? Kidnapping?

I should be afraid of people who do these things. Sometimes I am. Mostly, though, with my fight-or-flight PTSD reaction, I'm afraid I'll fight (or fight back) and cause serious harm. Not because I'm an elite street fighter. I'm really not. Only because I tend to want to go for the sensitive areas like eyes, jaw, and gonads. It's a purely primal reaction fuelled by adrenaline and cortisone so overpowering that the world becomes unreal and you're fighting as if in a dream. But that hasn't happened in a long time. I hope it doesn't happen anytime in the next few years.

I feel resentful, honestly. I know I'll have a better middle-class housing situation in the next six months or so when I get a job in web development. Until then, though, I'm subjected to the whims of crack-addicted landlords and tiny one-bedroom apartments in the urban ghetto. I feel like I'm too smart, too educated, and too people-shy for all of this. I also feel like a selfish jerk for complaining. As long as I have a roof over my head, that's what matters, right? I'll adapt. I always do.

Oh, and. Christmas songs everywhere. I can't stand the holiday season. I'm buying an mp3 player.

@ CJ - That sounds like a really shitty situation, but I guess the good news is you don't have to stay on the streets? No one should be homeless, especially during the cold Winter months. Lord Asswipe is living up to his name by giving someone he recently met the room you've been after for much longer and giving you a crappy room. At least it's not forever and you have a brighter future in store. Then hopefully no more dealing with any Lord Asswipes.

Blog Entries

Thank you for your empathy and kind thoughts, Somnia! I can't believe this guy. He told me to call him today re: moving in tomorrow (Sunday), but he set his phone to voicemail and he won't respond to texts. I've given up on him.

Meanwhile, my current landlord came downstairs to inform me that I have to be gone tomorrow. She even showed my room to a prospective renter while I was sitting on the bed! She can't legally do that. Legally, I have until the end of December to find a place, whether she likes it or not.

I'm such a quiet tenant, too. I don't cause trouble. Everyone just wants more money.

As for the brighter future, I'll drink to that. *clinks glass*

None of this is permanent.

Blog Entries

For the sake of finishing(?) this story, Lord Asswipe told me to call him and then declined phone calls. He finally responded to my text message, saying: "My phone doesn't work. My email doesn't work." OMG, I totally believe you. </sarcasm> He texted me that he was out of town, so contact him again on Tuesday.

I gave up. I messaged him: "You've stood me up three times and you never even apologized. Thanks for stringing me along for a month and wasting my time, asswipe."

He texted me back immediately: "I'm glad I did because now I know who you really are...TRASH!!"

I'm calling the Landlord-Tenant Board to see if anything can be done about him. I'm also looking into his rental company. He might have superiors who'd like to hear about his behaviour. He gets a one-star rating from me on the online phonebooks, Google Reviews, and Yelp.

Meanwhile, my roommates are obnoxious. One of the couples spends the entire day either screaming at each other or making out in the living room while I'm cooking in the adjacent kitchen, or having sex LOUDLY in the room that shares a wall with mine. Neither of them is employed. The male wanders around the house burping and farting while his girlfriend giggles. He continuously makes some kind of drunken frat boy vocalization. "WOOOHOOOO-WOOO-WOOOO-WOOOO!" His pregnant girlfriend sang the same Mariah Carey song for literally an hour in a row the other day. Why are you people allowed to breed?

I felt like going in there with mock concern: "I heard somebody torturing cats. Oh, it's your singing."

I'm buying a tape recorder. I'm going to play everything back for my landlord. Then I'm posting the recording on my blog and possibly on Youtube. That's what you get for being an ass who treats my home like a frat house.

I can't wait to move.

ETA: Have I mentioned that my current landlord tried to raise the rent from $550 to $800 a month? As a friend mentioned to me, landlords will try to pull all kinds of schemes on you if they think you're naiive and/or too poor to afford a lawyer.
    Last edited by Coyote Jones; December 8th, 2015 at 05:13 PM. Reason: syntax

I woke early today and it feels like the skin has been ripped from my throat. I can't talk, swallowing is agony, and I just want to stay home. Unfortunately, I don't have a fever, so off to classes it is!
    Reality is an illusion, the universe is hologram, buy gold, bye!

"The stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss stealing, wheelin' n' dealin' son of a gun!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Jones View Post
    I gave up. I messaged him: "You've stood me up three times and you never even apologized. Thanks for stringing me along for a month and wasting my time, asswipe."

He texted me back immediately: "I'm glad I did because now I know who you really are...TRASH!!"

Meanwhile, my roommates are obnoxious. One of the couples spends the entire day either screaming at each other or making out in the living room while I'm cooking in the adjacent kitchen, or having sex LOUDLY in the room that shares a wall with mine. Neither of them is employed. The male wanders around the house burping and farting while his girlfriend giggles. He continuously makes some kind of drunken frat boy vocalization. "WOOOHOOOO-WOOO-WOOOO-WOOOO!" His pregnant girlfriend sang the same Mariah Carey song for literally an hour in a row the other day. Why are you people allowed to breed?
    Oh GOD, I don't even know what to quote. This is awful. I've had bad landlords, but never quite this bad. I sincerely hope something can be done about behavior like that but...yeah wow. I guess at this point you can just be glad that you don't have to deal with him long term, as a landlord? And those roommates! I wanted to die being around the roommates I had until recently too but....*whistles*. Being surrounded by morons is hard, dude. Sorry you have to deal with people like that.

I'm surrounded by morons too! That was what my groan was going to be, thought it doesn't seem quite as bad now. AAAAAGGGGH! The shit people give me for the rabbit project. We're in a new rental house in a new town, for a few months now. Have our hutch built and tucked up against a brick wall way back in the long-and-skinny townhouse backyard, not visible from the street or from anywhere except the windows of neighboring houses.

WHELP. Guess word spread from those neighbors or something though, cause I just got an email from a random woman saying she'd reported us to the ASPCA about the rabbits. How kind and pleasant of her. She could have voiced her concerns and given me the chance to address them or clear them up, but NOPE! I don't even know these neighbors. We just moved in. We haven't done anything to anyone.

And let me tell you guys, I take damn good care of my rabbits. The cages are big dog crates, raised off the ground in a sturdy wooden structure we made, with a shingled roof and roll-down tarps over all sides in bad weather. We clean cages twice a week, keep everything tidy back there, provide all the food and hay and water that the rabbits need, etc. On long walks, I go out of my way to collect dandelion greens and other greens that they love, as treats. We even made a collapsible chicken wire rabbit run that we set up in the grass to give the rabbits time to run around on the ground. They eat the grass and dig little holes in the ground and kick up their heels and do happy rabbit things. We build an elaborate and redundant heated tube water system that's fed from two separate large reservoirs of water and that'd last at least five days if we stopped refilling it, so they're NEVER without water. I'm not sure what else I could possibly do to keep my rabbits happy and cared for.

But someone complained to the ASPCA anyway. Because....because the very thought of rabbits being in an outdoor hutch? Because they saw babies and are morally against breeding?

I've read the ordinances for my town. We're allowed to have the rabbits. But the thing with these people, if they want to cite you for something, they'll damn well find something. Odds of them actually coming to the house and having a warrant so I have to let them in are probably pretty low, but.....AARRRRRGGHHHHHH!!

I'm going to be a very pissed off and snarly animal if those asshats actually come knocking on my door. Luckily, I know how to hide it.

There will be much polite smiling and nodding and repeating that I don't have to tell them anything. I don't plan to tell anyone that I eat them. They have no reason to be aware of that. I live in the sort of place where all hell would break loose if anyone did find out about the eating part. They'd probably try to find some idiot random thing we did wrong so they could take our rabbits, because the POOR CUTE FLOOFIES!!! Part of me wants to watch them try and part of me is scared they'd succeed.

Why do people have to BE that way about animals??

*lashes tail*
    "As we reach for the stars we neglect the flowers at our feet. For epochs to come the peaks will still pierce the lonely vistas, but when the last snow leopard has stalked among the crags and the last markhor has stood on a promontory, his ruff waving in the breeze, a spark of life will have gone, turning the mountains into stones of silence." - George B. Schaller