Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Groan (A thread to ease your pain) - The 3rd!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGhost View Post
    Why do people have to BE that way about animals??
    Because obviously cute widdle wabbits aren't soulless inert objects like cows, dead meat factories like pigs, or loud lifeless automatons like chickens. You live smack dab in a nest of retards who barely deserve the air they breathe, and for what it's worth you have my utmost sympathies.
    A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.

I don't like this distinction either – in my opinion there isn't anything wrong with keeping "cute" animals like rabbits as both pets and source of food afterwards, especially given the fact that it allows the animal to lead a better life and to not experience a slow and maybe even painful death due to old age or sickness. Interestingly, the assignment of different species to the categories "food animal" or "cute animal" is heavily dependant on cultural context, which makes it even more questionable, I think.

Daily Groan: People without any sense of personal space are very annoying to deal with.
    Last edited by Wilhelm; December 11th, 2015 at 03:06 PM.
    'Whoever strives with all his might, that man we can redeem.' (Goethe)

Blog Entries

My best friend texted me again referring to me as a "cat lady". Despite the fact that I've never responded well to being called a "lady". He also likes to tease me by suggesting I buy cutesy woollen hats with animal ears.

Today I texted him back:

I'm. not. a. lady. Agender. Look it up.

If you don't get it right, I'm going to start calling you "sister" and using female pronouns for you and your Christmas gifts will be girly. How about a nice makeup set with lavender-scented lotion?

With gold flake glitter

You'll look FABULOUS

He gets on edge whenever I associate him with anything female. #MasculinitySoFragile

Welcome to my world. I refuse to be treated as female when I don't identify that way. What would it take to convince him? Get a double mastectomy? Start taking T and growing a slight beard? "Agender" isn't a cute game to me. I'm absolutely serious. If I need to get my embarrassing feminine parts removed, so be it.

And to think that this is my best friend. If he continually fails to be accommodating, how is the rest of the world likely to treat me?

Maybe I should start hanging out in LGBTQ+ spaces. I wonder if they'll be any more understanding?
    Last edited by Coyote Jones; December 12th, 2015 at 03:20 PM.

Blog Entries

I hear ya Cojo Jojo! I totally hear ya. But that's the world in a nutshell. I get called he and guy by everyone, and I get called she and ugly girl when people think I'm an ugly girl (who looks like a cross between Michael Jackson and Marilyn Manson) but almost no one wants to call me it or creature like I really am and really want. But I'm pretty used to it. Getting angry won't change anyone's ingrown habits...
    Last edited by R Swan; December 12th, 2015 at 03:58 PM. Reason: MISSING CRUCIAL PART
    A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.

Blog Entries

That's terrible to hear. Your best friend can't even respect your identity? I get that habits can be ingrained, but it sounds like it goes beyond that. Also, 'cat lady'. That makes me shudder. So many bad stereotypes. I would never, ever use that to describe a person unless they preferred it; it's cruel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGhost View Post
    Oh GOD, I don't even know what to quote. This is awful. I've had bad landlords, but never quite this bad. I sincerely hope something can be done about behavior like that but...yeah wow. I guess at this point you can just be glad that you don't have to deal with him long term, as a landlord? And those roommates! I wanted to die being around the roommates I had until recently too but....*whistles*. Being surrounded by morons is hard, dude. Sorry you have to deal with people like that.

I'm surrounded by morons too! That was what my groan was going to be, thought it doesn't seem quite as bad now. AAAAAGGGGH! The shit people give me for the rabbit project. We're in a new rental house in a new town, for a few months now. Have our hutch built and tucked up against a brick wall way back in the long-and-skinny townhouse backyard, not visible from the street or from anywhere except the windows of neighboring houses.

WHELP. Guess word spread from those neighbors or something though, cause I just got an email from a random woman saying she'd reported us to the ASPCA about the rabbits. How kind and pleasant of her. She could have voiced her concerns and given me the chance to address them or clear them up, but NOPE! I don't even know these neighbors. We just moved in. We haven't done anything to anyone.

And let me tell you guys, I take damn good care of my rabbits. The cages are big dog crates, raised off the ground in a sturdy wooden structure we made, with a shingled roof and roll-down tarps over all sides in bad weather. We clean cages twice a week, keep everything tidy back there, provide all the food and hay and water that the rabbits need, etc. On long walks, I go out of my way to collect dandelion greens and other greens that they love, as treats. We even made a collapsible chicken wire rabbit run that we set up in the grass to give the rabbits time to run around on the ground. They eat the grass and dig little holes in the ground and kick up their heels and do happy rabbit things. We build an elaborate and redundant heated tube water system that's fed from two separate large reservoirs of water and that'd last at least five days if we stopped refilling it, so they're NEVER without water. I'm not sure what else I could possibly do to keep my rabbits happy and cared for.

But someone complained to the ASPCA anyway. Because....because the very thought of rabbits being in an outdoor hutch? Because they saw babies and are morally against breeding?

I've read the ordinances for my town. We're allowed to have the rabbits. But the thing with these people, if they want to cite you for something, they'll damn well find something. Odds of them actually coming to the house and having a warrant so I have to let them in are probably pretty low, but.....AARRRRRGGHHHHHH!!

I'm going to be a very pissed off and snarly animal if those asshats actually come knocking on my door. Luckily, I know how to hide it.

There will be much polite smiling and nodding and repeating that I don't have to tell them anything. I don't plan to tell anyone that I eat them. They have no reason to be aware of that. I live in the sort of place where all hell would break loose if anyone did find out about the eating part. They'd probably try to find some idiot random thing we did wrong so they could take our rabbits, because the POOR CUTE FLOOFIES!!! Part of me wants to watch them try and part of me is scared they'd succeed.

Why do people have to BE that way about animals??

*lashes tail*
    You know I can sympathize with you there! I still get my mother in law cringing every time I talk about the rabbits, because she doesn't want any of them to die -_-

Although I will say that I don't envy you, because at least we are in the country so there is a lot less Animal Rights folks up here. I have heard stories of folks in southern Maine getting their barns burned down though, or rabbits being stolen. Like you said though, play the part and act it up. Just make sure there is always always clean water and clean cages. Just make sure you know your rights if they try to bully you.

Blog Entries

I'm so sick of people deciding whether or not an animal is important based on what breed they are, or how rare or valuable they are. Yesterday a neighbor told me to be careful that the neighbors at the end of the road don't steal one of my Manx kittens, and that apparently everyone in the neighborhood knows I have Manx kittens and want them because Manx are considered rare and valuable. Of course none of them want Tiffany, the plain, average, black and white kitten with a tail. Why would anyone want an ordinary kitten when they could have a Manx?

First off, I have found homes for the kittens. And until I give them away they are mine. I myself am thinking of keeping Tiffany and my mother wants the runt of the litter. You don't steal other people's pets. If you want one, ask me if you can have it. Don't steal.

Second, all animals are important no matter what their breed. Manx aren't more valuable than other cats, in my opinion. I love all animals, and their worth should not be determined by their breed. If you're an animal lover, you love them regardless of their breed, size, shape, gender, color or any other defining feature. Not because an animal is considered rare or valuable.

Blog Entries

Any positive thing anyone had ever said about me feels really innacurate and I'm fooling everyone that I associate with.
    Had some fallings out with bf and it is basically my stupid fault, can't go into it right now, anyone who is a friend or acquaitence has no idea. If I were to date any of them they'd soon be screwed (in a bad way). And why my partner sticks around at all after all the shit I pull is lost on me.
    https://discord.gg/dgBR989 my therian/theriomythic discord group ^.^

My pet rat is still sick and needs to go back to the vet, but there is no way I can make it out there today because there's about a foot of snow on the road and my car can barely handle totally clear conditions.

The vet is booked solid tomorrow but they very kindly penciled me in at 10:45, I really hope this storm lets up soon so I'll be able to actually get her there. I think she'll be okay waiting today, she's spent a couple days at home with this problem before, and I'm going to let her stay in her nest all day and make sure she has food. I still feel bad that I can't get her to the vet quicker.

Last time I took her to see him about this issue he said that the next step if her medicine keeps failing to eliminate the problem is to x-ray her chest to see what's causing her lungs to be irritated. That's probably what he'll want to do tomorrow. I'm kind of starting to lose hope that this will turn out to be something with an easy fix.

Blog Entries

I really should have studied for my Network Pro exam, this kind of shit is hard when you have to troubleshoot all these different topics and you have NO idea on what you did wrong. Of course, me being the idiot I am, thought it was all going to be easy like PC Pro exam (I got the certificate for my resume) but OH HELL NO, it is NOT easy! I did pass though with a 900 out of 1200. I just fucking suck at it and need to study more, maybe my teacher can allow me to retake it and get a better grade.

I love my teacher but jeebus christ it can be difficult! Yeah I know, first world problems and all that.

Just fucking sucks.