Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression, PTSD, ADHD, ADD,OCD, etc. Stories of how they affect your personal Life.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Depression, PTSD, ADHD, ADD,OCD, etc. Stories of how they affect your personal Life.

First off, i would like to repeat something that is in the user agreement for this website. On this thread, as i personally have had experience with all of the title's listed disabilities and more, i would appreciate no hurtful, racist, sexual, abusive, or disrespectful posts.

I personally have High Functioning:
    ASD
    ADHD
    OCD
    Tourettes Syndrome
    ADD
    Depression (Possibly)
    ODD (Possibly)
    etc.

and have had trouble with dealing with all my problems, throughout life, and with my disabilities. This is a place where people can tell stories about experiences about their personal run-ins with any disability, or if they just want a place to open up about themselves have one or more disabilities, or even just saying that they think they have a disability, and why. This is a thread that is designed to be an open place for talk about disabilities, how they affect our everyday lives, and i hope to open discussion on how having a disability, or regularly dealing with some who has one, affects someone who is a Mental Therianthrope.

It's Not the Size of the Dog in the Fight, but the Size of the Fight in the Dog
    Vhyse Lupus

Blog Entries

I personally have ADD, Depression, Mood Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (NOS), OCD and some traits of an ASD person (but I am not under the label of it), along with Cerebral Palsy, Scoliosis and mild cognitive impairment.

I have always had trouble paying attention in class, unless someone asked me a question I was usually off in my own little dreamworld, disconnected from everything. I also drooled a lot as a kid because it hurt like a BITCH to swallow, leading kids to taunt me and say that I had rabies (which I guess would be legit seeing as how people infected tend to not be able to swallow in the later stages). I was called a retard as a kid based on "how I looked" and I got a shitload of people against me because they thought I had AIDS as well, which obviously was not true.

I had a lot of torment received from people, both domestic and school life. Kids are generally mean creatures, believing anything if it keeps them away from the tormentors of another kid, such appeasement was going on there.

But yeah, I felt I should start with that.

I have Depression, General Anxiety Disorder, and possibly anger issues. Yes, diagnosed. I go to a therapist every week.

My Depression when I was in my middle and high school years was very bad, to the point where I was suicidal. It's a lot better now, due mostly to the fact that I now take medication. I'm still working on my anxiety and panic attacks, but I think it's getting a little better. I still have a lot of anxiety about travel, and I was a nervous wreck on Thanksgiving- I was very concerned that my entire family was getting together. I've gotten in trouble for fighting back in high school, and my therapist and I are working on anger management.
    Reality is an illusion, the universe is hologram, buy gold, bye!

"The stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss stealing, wheelin' n' dealin' son of a gun!"

I've worked night shift for the past 8 years and suspect I may have Shift Work Disorder, however I'm not professionally diagnosed. Some of the symptoms I experience are anxiety, depression, and feeling "out of whack" with my normal circadian rhythm, but it's gotten better ever since I downshifted my work schedule. Before downshifting I use to experience a lot of insomnia during the daytime when I needed to sleep to prepare for work. The feelings of depression and anxiety were more frequent and it negatively affected my relationship with my mate for a while until I made the decision to step down my work schedule. I remember all I wanted to do was sleep and take naps on my days off to catch up on missed sleep during my workweek. I'd be awake at odd hours of the night when he would be asleep and I'd often feel depressed and bored. My days off were in the middle of the "normal" work week so when I was off work my family and friends were busy working their day jobs. I felt like I had no social life. Granted I'm not a super social person but it is nice having the weekends off when I'm in the mood to be social.

Now I work less nights a week (3 instead of 4) and I have the weekends off. I've also changed my diet to eat healthier foods and try to get more exercise. It's been a tremendous help and I hardly feel depression or anxiety. With my personal case, my problem was most likely extrinsic in that making lifestyle changes helped improve my overall health. However, there are circadian rhythm disorders which are intrinsic which may require medication or other therapy to improve health.

One thing I'd like to add, I feel it's important to distinguish between which disorders are actually diagnosed by a professional and which ones are self-diagnosed. Self-diagnosing can lead to potentially bad results if you think you have "X" disorder/disease when you might actually have something different. For example in my case, my symptoms of anxiety and depression greatly lessened after making external lifestyle changes. However, if these feelings persisted even after making those changes I'd be seeing my physician to see if something else is going on and work on a treatment plan to improve those symptoms.
    Last edited by Somnia; December 21st, 2015 at 02:25 PM.

I've been to a psychologist once. She told me I am not depressed (Biggest lie ever), that I am bi-polar (Slightly understandable), and I have ADD (Once again, very doubtful). She instantly wanted to put me on medication, which I am extremely against. That was the last time I saw a psychologist. I generally feel like only you know yourself best, so I truly believe and trust self diagnosis.

I have depression, a bit of OCD (Things have to be even), Social phobia, and I think I might have Pyromania (I love watching fire, and I love watching things burn).

I think what I struggle the most with is my social phobia. It really holds me back in life. I'm afraid to talk to others in "real life", so I do online school. Therefore, it's also making it difficult for me to get the guts to try and get a job.

My depression used to be extremely bad, to the point where my only reasoning to live was for my cats. I've mostly gotten better and fall into an extremely depressive state once every week or two. Though, when I do, it can be pretty bad. I've learned ginger root really helps, though.

The OCD is quite silly, and not that bad. When I hang pants up on a hanger, they have to be even on both sides. I recall a few other things, but I do not fully remember what.

And, I am not to sure about the Pyromania. As I said, I just like to watch things burn. To the point where I will occasionally set things on fire, such as paper. Though, I have full control of my thoughts and actions, therefore I'm not sure if it really counts as Pyromania.

Oh. I also have PTSD, which can cause panic attacks. Not many things bring back those memories, so I'm kind of okay with it.

When things do get really bad for me, one of my cats will meow, running over to me, and start rubbing her head against me. So, I pet her until I calm down.

Blog Entries

I wonder if I have extreme pyromania when I watched this supervolcano in Yellowstone erupt on End Day? The reason I ask this is because my heart was racing with immense pleasure and excitement at seeing the destruction happen as lava burst forth in Yellowstone and covered areas as far away as Washington DC.

It was quite exciting to see that and I am sad they cut that out of the broadcast version on NatGeo.

Blog Entries

Well, I have some disorders which makes me feel like pushing an anchor with chains all my life. I have depression and general anxiety disorder and social phobia since I was 7 (or less, I don't know), I was discovered some years ago with high functional ASD but after some diagnosis this was discarded because I am too high functional to be an autist (or became off spectrum during adulthood). My depression and anxiety was a really big problem since they make my life unbeareble sometimes. All of my behavior during childhood and adulthood leads to a possible PTSD but no trauma was found so far during my life (which takes me question about that relation with my different therian type and my past life experiences). I used to live alone mentally speaking during all those years until 2012 were my mind needs to warn me about the situation. In that year I get into severe depression state which leads me to get psychological treatment. Now I'm in treatment yet, taking meds and making therapy but everything is going ok. If I compare, I am better than ever, not being mentally alone anymore.
    Last edited by DarkFox; January 27th, 2016 at 12:21 PM.
    Just a werefox walking around...

I have Depression. I have PTSD. I am always very anxious. I have social phobia. All of those diagnosed. And I might have Asperger. This is currently in discussion.

It impairs my everyday life. I drains me from my energy, from my motivation to do things. It makes me feel really Homesick. I cannot work. Sometimes (like today) I cannot even think straight.
    Sorry for the short post.
    The avatar comes from HERE

Blog Entries

I know what you are feeling Zami because I was feeling the same some years ago. It is very struggling to be captive by yourself in your own home. I've learned a lot about how to getting through the human world but at some point in my life I realized that something was very wrong, that something was not cared right in my mind and spirit and I simple ignore it. Well, I had (and have yet) my therapy, medications and so one, but this is not too relevant when you realize that you can change some bits of your mind to at least do human things. For me, that time was one when I just realize that I had another part of myself living along with my human side, this was my therian side. It was not my awakening, it just a time I learnt it can be impossible to let this side away from my life and all of my problems with human world (social phobia, anxiety disorder, depression) was my struggling to adapting to this world, so ignoring was not the way to solve it. Now, after 3 years of that, I started to learn how to live in on both sides, when the human helps my therian side and my werefox side helps my human side. Of course, I know I have a bunch of human problems to solve yet and there will need some more therapy, meds and so one, but now I know I'm on the way.

I know your life and way of see the life is different, but I also know those kind of problems are only a question to see what you can do now to live better. Even I don't have PTSD, I have all treats of it as I told above so I know how this can be suffering. My way of see all of this is try to let this go away and try to see the future in a good perspective. I know, this can be horrible to do but with time this task will became easier and easier and make you even calmier.

That energy drains, the blockage to do any work or even think well will go with you for long time, but as better you stay with yourself, more longer you can keep far from them. For me, from the last three years until now, I have lost working days because I simple just became blocked, in panic. Sometimes I fled away from work, telling I was sick because I simple could not stand there anymore. Sometimes my energy became so down that my life simple became useless for days. Today I am even better, trying to live better with myself.

Well, sorry to say words sometimes everyone said in that times (those positive words from people who don't know anything about depression say) but I've said that not to make you an instant change but only to say you to keep your time and go one, making simple and good things to yourself and get peace. This is a long road, but it will help you get better.

Sorry for anything, this was only my way to help you.
    Just a werefox walking around...

I'm diagnosed with major depression and suspect I have social anxiety as well, with my hyperactivity and impulsivity in public and social situations.
    My depression makes me so lethargic and apathetic that I'll lay in bed for hours after I wake up, ignoring any hunger pains that strike me in favor of vegetating in my own sweat. With that and my social anxiety it's very difficult to socialize or even go outside for a short walk.

I wanted to know if anyone else could see the influence their disorder(s) have on their theriotype. You don't have to go into detail of anything, a simple "yeah, sure" or "not really" works fine.