Page 1 of 87 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Thought - The 23rd!

Blog Entries

Default The Daily Thought - The 23rd!

New Daily Thought thread, commence!

My new apartment would be perfect if the neighbor below me and the neighbor to the left of me didn't both smoke. They do go outside for it but the smell still gets into my apartment and I think it's what's been making my throat feel scratchy. The rats have sensitive noses so I'm worried about the effect it might have on them.

Blog Entries

Your dry wits are actually funny, Kerguelen, though the subject is all but. I'm sorry to hear your computer malfunctions.
    I bought an expensive television set once, and when I plugged it in I noticed some heavy flicker occasionally. That tv was defective as well and fortunately they refunded my money quickly afterwards.
    I hope the store does the same with yours. What kind of computer did you intend to buy? I'm very interested in all kinds of computer technology.
    Last edited by Lupus Ferox; March 17th, 2016 at 03:17 PM.

Blog Entries

I hope that people drive safe today or even better get a DD if they decide to go out to drink. This will be on my mind all day. I'm going to try and keep my wife from driving much. The drivers here in the part of florida I live in are pretty bad drivers with speeding and worse with crashing so my fingers are crossed for people to be safe today.
    The world will only change when fear is overcome

They're sending a replacement. Praise customer service.
    the birds are back in town
    It rhymes with gurglin'
    Wait no it doesn't

Blog Entries

*Learns about baby races from a friend that recently visited America*

WTF AMERICA?!

I've never heard of "baby races" but it sounds like something we would do here.

I have seen turtle races.
    the birds are back in town
    It rhymes with gurglin'
    Wait no it doesn't

Blog Entries

And I've seen monkey-jockey dog races. Little monkeys riding on dogs. It was weird. I had some pretty mixed feelings about it.

Red Dead Redemption sequel has been announced!! I am VERY EXCITE.

Also, just as quickly as my luck turned bad, it may have come back up! (In fact, if this DOES pan out, my luck will have improved to an even better point than it was.) But I can't get my hopes up yet. I've been burned... three times now on this situation, so even the alleged optimism about this one working out doesn't quell my fears.

Expect the worst, but hope for the best.

Blog Entries

Thought of the day is poverty.

Looks like my tech trinket will be arriving Monday evening! ...at least as long as UPS doesn't go OOPS. Its pen apparently has a battery but according to artists who have tried it, it's hella good. I'm a bit skeptical about battery-driven pens, but maybe the battery lasts for ages. We'll see. This is how we live in poverty here in Denmark; we sit around waiting for expensive tech..! What a joke.
    I like to joke about being piss-poor, but that's obviously not the whole truth. What is it that makes us "poor"? It's a pretty bullshit definition if you ask me, but somehow my way of life manages to mortify my coworkers ("It's terrible that someone can live like this in modern Denmark" is a quote). They mean well, bless their hearts, but sometimes they get awkward. What, is being spendthrift the only way to be an average citizen?
    Seriously...Denmark has such high societal standards that the poverty line is actually pretty far up there. I'd have to be legit rich in order to not be "poor". Living in what is considered abject poverty here in Denmark is about the same as being a middle class citizen in Russia--if not even better, because the various instances aren't corrupt. What a freaking joke. This isn't poverty for shit.

At the same time it's finally sunk in with Mom that our family--while very proud--is just generally chronically poor and that none of us really care. Even if we weren't in the West, we're Russians--poverty is in our blood. We don't need a lot. We survive easily. Us carving out a quite decent living in a quite russophobic country just goes to show. We're like cockroaches; we'd make it through famines, wars, and apocalypses. Not to mention this Danish "poverty".
    Even back in Russia we actually lived pretty decently. For instance, when I lived with my parents, I've basically had my own room since the Soviet Union, and there was always plenty of food on the table, because money never got funneled into all sorts of frivolous crap. And here in Denmark, where everything is shit expensive, you can still get six pounds of cabbage for under a dollar. Do you even fucking REALIZE how MUCH FOOD that is? A bag of flour is a dollar or two. Now we can bake pirozhki for several days. Half a dollar nets you two pounds of carrots! Two pounds of beets! THREE pounds of potatoes! Borsh for WEEKS! This is "poor"?! This is GLUTTONY! A giant bag of onions for a dollar. You'll be SWIMMING in onions.
    Right next to you you have a middle-aged couple rummaging through the freezer to pay THREE DOLLARS A PIECE for some sort of one-pound frozen meal. Seriously three fucking dollars for a pound of crappy factory fodder. And that's for the cheapest kinds. Normally they cost upwards of five dollars for that god-forsaken pound. No fucking wonder people run out of money so fast. What the fuck?

My parents live in an especially poor province all the way down south and I live in an especially poor province all the way up north. The fact that--while being "poor"--I can eat medister sausage daily and go on the Internet on several computers at the same time is as much a testament to an extremely luxurious Danish society as it is to our thriftiness allowing us to live the high life. I've lived under ridiculously miserable circumstances, too, and thrived just as well. I realize that if we were as spendthrift as the average citizen perhaps we'd feel the boundaries of our wallets more.
    I guess ultimately it has to do with our family being pretty isolated. We've no acquaintances to spend fortunes drinking and partying with in bars... We've no friends to constantly keep track of and invite over for dinners... We've no status to maintain... We're forgotten; we're avoided. No one really knows us, not even relatives. We're pretty much the IRL Addams Family, only not rich. We've no one to answer to and nothing to spend money on, and we're all free to do exactly as we please.

But at the same time, despite being out of a nuclear family of complete outcasts, my kid brother is shaping up to be an actual normal Danish person. He does normal person things, he asks girls out on dates, he goes to parties and drinks, and he has friends to keep track of. But he's half-Russian and that's also noticeable--especially now that he's almost grown up.
    It's too bad he'll never learn Russian or truly understand his roots, but while on the surface he's a perfectly normal Danish kid, he still has the family ties, the secret loyalties, the family secrets, and the distinctly Russian thriftiness. The kid doesn't splurge. He's very economical with the way he spends. He just happens to be more outgoing than us sullen recluses. He's not going to have any trouble when he moves out. But he'll probably be "poor", too.

5 dollars for a puny little TV dinner. Or 1 dollar for a huge cabbage. I mean, seriously. Either I'm crazy or everyone around me is crazy, as the saying goes in our family. WHY would you pay 40 fucking kroner for a bunch of shitty soup balls when you can cook the same soup from scratch in 30 minutes. For a TENTH of the price on average, if we are to count all the ingredients. I mean, I don't judge, maybe people just legit don't have the fucking time to cook, but...come the FUCK on. Maybe I'm just being Scrooge.

Poverty. BAH! Humbug!
    A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.

Quote Originally Posted by R Swan View Post
    Thought of the day is poverty.

Looks like my tech trinket will be arriving Monday evening! ...at least as long as UPS doesn't go OOPS. Its pen apparently has a battery but according to artists who have tried it, it's hella good. I'm a bit skeptical about battery-driven pens, but maybe the battery lasts for ages. We'll see. This is how we live in poverty here in Denmark; we sit around waiting for expensive tech..! What a joke.
    I like to joke about being piss-poor, but that's obviously not the whole truth. What is it that makes us "poor"? It's a pretty bullshit definition if you ask me, but somehow my way of life manages to mortify my coworkers ("It's terrible that someone can live like this in modern Denmark" is a quote). They mean well, bless their hearts, but sometimes they get awkward. What, is being spendthrift the only way to be an average citizen?
    Seriously...Denmark has such high societal standards that the poverty line is actually pretty far up there. I'd have to be legit rich in order to not be "poor". Living in what is considered abject poverty here in Denmark is about the same as being a middle class citizen in Russia--if not even better, because the various instances aren't corrupt. What a freaking joke. This isn't poverty for shit.

At the same time it's finally sunk in with Mom that our family--while very proud--is just generally chronically poor and that none of us really care. Even if we weren't in the West, we're Russians--poverty is in our blood. We don't need a lot. We survive easily. Us carving out a quite decent living in a quite russophobic country just goes to show. We're like cockroaches; we'd make it through famines, wars, and apocalypses. Not to mention this Danish "poverty".
    Even back in Russia we actually lived pretty decently. For instance, when I lived with my parents, I've basically had my own room since the Soviet Union, and there was always plenty of food on the table, because money never got funneled into all sorts of frivolous crap. And here in Denmark, where everything is shit expensive, you can still get six pounds of cabbage for under a dollar. Do you even fucking REALIZE how MUCH FOOD that is? A bag of flour is a dollar or two. Now we can bake pirozhki for several days. Half a dollar nets you two pounds of carrots! Two pounds of beets! THREE pounds of potatoes! Borsh for WEEKS! This is "poor"?! This is GLUTTONY! A giant bag of onions for a dollar. You'll be SWIMMING in onions.
    Right next to you you have a middle-aged couple rummaging through the freezer to pay THREE DOLLARS A PIECE for some sort of one-pound frozen meal. Seriously three fucking dollars for a pound of crappy factory fodder. And that's for the cheapest kinds. Normally they cost upwards of five dollars for that god-forsaken pound. No fucking wonder people run out of money so fast. What the fuck?

My parents live in an especially poor province all the way down south and I live in an especially poor province all the way up north. The fact that--while being "poor"--I can eat medister sausage daily and go on the Internet on several computers at the same time is as much a testament to an extremely luxurious Danish society as it is to our thriftiness allowing us to live the high life. I've lived under ridiculously miserable circumstances, too, and thrived just as well. I realize that if we were as spendthrift as the average citizen perhaps we'd feel the boundaries of our wallets more.
    I guess ultimately it has to do with our family being pretty isolated. We've no acquaintances to spend fortunes drinking and partying with in bars... We've no friends to constantly keep track of and invite over for dinners... We've no status to maintain... We're forgotten; we're avoided. No one really knows us, not even relatives. We're pretty much the IRL Addams Family, only not rich. We've no one to answer to and nothing to spend money on, and we're all free to do exactly as we please.

But at the same time, despite being out of a nuclear family of complete outcasts, my kid brother is shaping up to be an actual normal Danish person. He does normal person things, he asks girls out on dates, he goes to parties and drinks, and he has friends to keep track of. But he's half-Russian and that's also noticeable--especially now that he's almost grown up.
    It's too bad he'll never learn Russian or truly understand his roots, but while on the surface he's a perfectly normal Danish kid, he still has the family ties, the secret loyalties, the family secrets, and the distinctly Russian thriftiness. The kid doesn't splurge. He's very economical with the way he spends. He just happens to be more outgoing than us sullen recluses. He's not going to have any trouble when he moves out. But he'll probably be "poor", too.

5 dollars for a puny little TV dinner. Or 1 dollar for a huge cabbage. I mean, seriously. Either I'm crazy or everyone around me is crazy, as the saying goes in our family. WHY would you pay 40 fucking kroner for a bunch of shitty soup balls when you can cook the same soup from scratch in 30 minutes. For a TENTH of the price on average, if we are to count all the ingredients. I mean, I don't judge, maybe people just legit don't have the fucking time to cook, but...come the FUCK on. Maybe I'm just being Scrooge.

Poverty. BAH! Humbug!
    I cant be certain if they have it where you live or not but why spend five dollars on a puny TV dinner when you can get those five dollar pizzas at little Caesars? I could live off that crap, its low quality pizza but you get eight slices and that can serve as both lunch and dinner, or one big dinner or lunch if you are hungry.