Thread: The Daily Thought - The 23rd!

Finally moving out of this shithole!
    ...to another shithole!
    But at least it's not this shithole!
    the birds are back in town
    It rhymes with gurglin'
    Wait no it doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Kerguelen View Post
    I love Kerguelen, it's one of the places I want to go the most. I feel like I relate to it in a way, too, seeing as it's a isolated location covered in seabirds that no one permanently lives on.
    (Hence the username.)
    I hope you get there someday - I'm sure you will. I can see why you like it so much.
    “We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly perceive it to be – the mythologized epitome of a savage ruthless killer – which is, in reality, no more than a reflected image of ourself.” - Farley Mowat, Never Cry Wolf

It is possible to go! Though you'll want thousands of dollars and probably a guide, if you don't know what you're doing and don't speak French.

So it isn't Kerguelen, but in June I'm going to the part of the country where anhingas can be found. Not specifically for that, but I hope I get to see one.
    Last edited by Kerguelen; May 13th, 2017 at 03:13 AM.
    It rhymes with gurglin'
    Wait no it doesn't

Blog Entries

Feel ya. I really want to visit Christmas Island some day. But hey, people have done more crazier things and I'm sure you'll find a way.

I'm currently trying to reconcile in my head the concept of being transgender but not transitioning. After like 5+ years of talking to professionals and family, and doing research, I've come to the conclusion that transitioning and the involved medical help is not what I need.

However, I still feel the same way that I always did, like the opposite gender. Is it possible to be transgender but choose not to change your sex? That's what I'm struggling to figure out right now.
    "Of course it's in your head, Harry. Why should that mean it's not real?" -Albus Dumbledore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Natsilani View Post
    I'm currently trying to reconcile in my head the concept of being transgender but not transitioning. After like 5+ years of talking to professionals and family, and doing research, I've come to the conclusion that transitioning and the involved medical help is not what I need.

However, I still feel the same way that I always did, like the opposite gender. Is it possible to be transgender but choose not to change your sex? That's what I'm struggling to figure out right now.
    It doesn't matter, you are what you feel you are whether you've had all the surgeries and hormones, or none. Sometimes social transition is enough.
    I want my chest gone but would probably not do T because my family have a history of male patterned baldness.
    There is a pressure to go through the whole debacle to prove yourself as a true member of your gender, it would be nice if we could present how we wanted and still be secure in our identities. I'm a dude (albeit a rather androgynous one) but I love make-up and stuff, I haven't done a good eyeshadow look for years because I keep wanting to be taken seriously.
    https://discord.gg/dgBR989 my therian/theriomythic discord group ^.^

Hey Natsilani. I would think yes, You can be transgender and not change your sex. Especially if you can't pay for it. To me, My friend, I don't care what you look like on the outside, It's what's inside that matters and if you can't change your sex to match then you shouldn't worry about it. You are the way you are and that is all the matters. If you need to talk just hit me up on here or email me.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; May 14th, 2017 at 07:48 PM.

"You are what you feel".

I'm not necessarily sure I agree with that. Being transgender and being therian suffer from the same mode of logic that breeds cognitive dissonance: the prospect of convincing oneself that you are something when any and all empirical data confirms you are not. So, I may feel that I am a wolf, but that does not make me a wolf. Saying that I am a wolf is a lie. The best I can say is that I "feel" like a wolf. I need to be able to accept that I feel a certain way without actually convincing myself that I am that thing - or else I slide into delusion.

That may be a bit convoluted. In other words; I think telling people that they are what they feel can only lead to a society of identity politics, where people try to rewrite the past and rewrite science to fit their narratives.

Which puts me, understandably, in a bit of a pickle: I am both transgender and therian. XD
    I need to keep well aware of the precipice on which I stand - to consciously beware of falling into a narrative one way or the other: I cannot believe in my identity to the point of disregarding science, and nor can I believe in empirical facts so much that I disregard my identity, for either route is folly.

I can afford surgery. I can afford hormone shots and all that, that's not the problem. The problem lies in dealing with social prejudice (from both cisgender AND transgender folks), and to a lesser extent, because I realize that I can never actually get what I feel I should have, so there's not much point, is there. For the sake of openness, I'm MtF transgender. Getting surgery won't fix all the problems that I wish could be fixed, such as wanting to be a mother.

In addition, I'm actually kinda okay with people calling me male. It really doesn't bother me to present as male. So altogether, not only do I not need transition, I do not really need to present as female either. I would *like* to, but I don't *have to* to be happy. I think this is where being therian plays a part: I'm so goddamn upset about being the wrong species that being the wrong gender has a lesser impact on my sensibilities.

And yet the feelings are still there at the end of the day. I still feel female instead of male. I think it's just come down to the simple fact that I've developed such good coping mechanisms for dysphoria that I am able to deal with gender dysphoria without much medical assistance. In other words, I have a cold or fever, but I can deal with it at home, without going to the clinic.

"There is a pressure to go through the whole debacle to prove yourself as a true member of your gender, it would be nice if we could present how we wanted and still be secure in our identities."

^ I agree with all of that. Well said.
    "Of course it's in your head, Harry. Why should that mean it's not real?" -Albus Dumbledore

Blog Entries

Nobody said anything about disregarding evidence.

Here's some empirical data I've got: I wake up a lot of mornings wanting to get out of bed by climbing onto a branch or something, and have to talk myself into walking like a human. On lots of occasions, I've involuntarily gone into a different state of mind where I lose abstract thought and inner monologue and favor my flexor rather than extensor muscles a lot more than a human ought to, among other things. There's an area above my butt that feels deformed, as if my brain's body map includes a tail that's not there. I could go on. The best fit I've found for that data so far, after over a decade of looking into it, is that I'm part three-toed sloth mentally. But I also know of no feasible mechanism for getting a sloth mind into a human brain, other than spiritual stuff which is highly speculative and makes a lot of assumptions.

So, my conclusions are: I'm not literally a sloth in any way. I'm not quite a normal human either. It turns out there are a lot of people in the same boat who have taken to calling themselves therians, so I'll go ahead and call myself a sloth therian.

When it came to gender, I found that the evidence was less clear. I couldn't go by instincts and behaviors without relying too much on stereotypes and traditional gender roles. My only significant pieces of evidence were that I was miserable most of the time, and that whenever I could prevent somebody from thinking of me as either male or female it felt very very right. I did a thought experiment where I imagined how I'd present in an ideal world where nobody cared but me, and my gender identity basically comes from that thought experiment. There's a lot less to it than my therianthropy evidence. But I also know it certainly doesn't take anything mystical to explain how somebody's body can develop one way while their gender goes another way. It doesn't take as much evidence to believe it because it's really not that hard to believe. In Bayesian terms, there's no reason to have a particularly low prior for that.

Once I knew my gender I did away with my thought experiment world and had to decide whether to transition in the real world. My choice was my choice, based on my circumstances, and I don't expect everybody else to make the same choice.
    Last edited by BlueSloth; May 15th, 2017 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Should have done more proofreading before I posted XD

I keep thinking about some store I used to visit when I was a kid. It was called Katerina's or something similar, it carried shoes and purses and other clothing items. It keeps coming up for no reason. Why? It wasn't that special to me. There's nothing to remind me of it. I haven't been there in years. I think it's been closed for a while, actually. Why is it constantly coming back up in my memory?

That reminded me to go take a Google Maps tour through that part of town. Oh the memories. "There's Katherina's, or where it used to be. There's the restaurant we used to eat at. There's that place where I used to go feed ducks. There's one of the schools I went to, where I finally got to buy something at the book fair, only to throw up all over it. There's where I got my heart broken for the first time! (A "friend" of mine decided he didn't like me anymore, because he met someone else.) That's where I found my first dead animal. Oh, that was my house! Those people across the road were MEAN, like I threw a ball too far once and it landed in their yard and I thought about getting it, but no fuck that. And there's where that BITCH Marissa lived, who stole my favorite hat and never gave it back. And ate our plums without asking. Bitch. Hey! That's where I found my first dog!" and so on.
    Last edited by Kerguelen; May 16th, 2017 at 07:07 AM.
    It rhymes with gurglin'
    Wait no it doesn't