Page 78 of 87 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Thought - The 23rd!

Quote Originally Posted by Lopori View Post
    I went to the barbers today for a trim and the guy cutting my hair didn't trim how I wanted to and layered it to death so now it won't fan out like it did before.
    That sounds annoying. It's like when my hair's too short, it's impossible to shake it properly (not that that's really possible anyway...), although that can also happen if it's too long. Or when mom insists on keeping my claws short (although fortunately they grow back quite quickly... only to be cut off again).

It's times like this that I think "why can't I just shift into wolf form, then I could shake my fur out properly and wouldn't have to try to make my human nails stand in as a pathetic excuse for claws".
    Psychological therian.

"If it howls like a wolf, snarls like a wolf, and thinks it's a wolf, then it probably is a wolf." - micheal65536

The movie is a dramatizes the true story of Farley Mowat, When he was sent to the Canadian artic tundra area to collect evidence of the grievous harm the wolf population was ''Allegedly'' doing to the Caribou herds. In his struggle to survive in that difficult environment he studies the wolves, And realizes that the old beliefs about wolves and there supposed threat are almost totally false. Furthermore, He learns that humans represented a far greater threat to the land and the wolves. A species which plays important role in the ecosystem.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; May 19th, 2017 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    The movie is a dramatizes the true story of Farley Mowat, When he was sent to the Canadian artic tundra area to collect evidence of the grievous harm the wolf population was ''Allegedly'' doing to the Caribou herds. In his struggle to survive in that difficult environment he studies the wolves, And realizes that the old beliefs about wolves.
    Yeah as I say I get the outline of the story. It's the details that I didn't follow. Like, who were all the people in the tent before the caribou scene? Why was the researcher running around naked when the wolves were hunting the caribou? Who were the men with the plane, and why? What happened to the pup's parents? (And other stuff I've probably forgotten to mention.)
    Psychological therian.

"If it howls like a wolf, snarls like a wolf, and thinks it's a wolf, then it probably is a wolf." - micheal65536

Quote Originally Posted by micheal65536 View Post
    Yeah as I say I get the outline of the story. It's the details that I didn't follow. Like, who were all the people in the tent before the caribou scene? Why was the researcher running around naked when the wolves were hunting the caribou? Who were the men with the plane, and why? What happened to the pup's parents? (And other stuff I've probably forgotten to mention.)
    Well it's been years since I seen the movie but of what I am trying to remember of it was I think was then men with the plane where wolf hunters, They where there only to hunt and kill wolves. The Wolf pup's parents where most likely killed by the wolf hunters. As for why the researcher was running around naked with wolves hunting caribou.? I don't know. I am guessing who where people in the tent before the caribou hunt where native inuit. I'm not really sure because I have not seen the movie in years.

That was the other question, is what/who, in the end, was responsible for the decline in the caribou?
    Psychological therian.

I just watched this a moment ago and tbh I didn't really "get" it. It didn't make sense to me. I realise what it's supposed to be about, and I've read a synopsis, but I didn't follow what was happening in the actual film. I think the main problem was that there wasn't enough dialog, most of the story is implied in the actions and events that take place, and I usually struggle to pick up on things like that. Also the little dialog that there was was difficult to hear what was being said.

I don't doubt that it could be an interesting film, but it didn't really make sense to me. Maybe someone could explain it in a bit more detail?
    Ok, I'll try and outline it.

So the researcher goes to Canada to try and confirm that wolves are unsustainably killing caribou. He is dropped off by plane by the same guy who he meets again towards the end of the video (more on this in a second). When he is dropped off, he suffers from the cold, and is rescued by a native man, who shelters him, and who organises his supplies so that he may set up his own camp near the wolves (which he does).

Later, the same native man visits the researcher, but this time he brought another man with him who can speak English due to being educated at an English-speaking institution, and he helps translate between the researcher and the native. (Side note: I think the translator was adopted by the native, but became 'corrupt' from attending a modern, North American institution).

As it turns out, the translator is a wolf hunter, and has his eyes on the researcher's wolf pack from the start. However, he says that he will not kill them because the researcher will get mad. Meanwhile, the native shows huge respect for wolves, and states that they play an important role in keeping the caribou strong.

After a while, the researcher and the native go off to look at wolves hunting caribou. As for why the researcher was naked, it was because he had just been for a swim in the river. He had then fallen asleep, and had woke up in the middle of wolves chasing caribou, so instead of getting dressed he runs with them so he can observe them and find the kill. Once the wolves have killed the caribou, he examines the bones, and finds that the animal they killed was sick, thereby supporting the claim made by the native that wolves increase genetic strength and help the caribou population by killing the sick and weak animals.

On his way back to his camp, he comes across the pilot who dropped him off at the start. However, this time he is with two other men. He chats to them, and finds that they are all hunters who want to open the area to tourists (which would risk the environment). He also finds out that the pilot had become rich (I think he found gold or something), and had a new plane. He argues with the pilot's anti-environment stance, and refuses to get in the plane with him.

He then heads back to his camp, but knows that the pilot was likely headed there too, and would likely kill the wolves. When he arrives, he finds the wolf pups, but not the breeding pair (the parents). At this moment, the pilot lands in the lake, and the researcher thinks that he was the one who killed the parents, so shoots at his plane. The pilot flies off, and then the researcher heads to his tent, where he finds the translator on his own.

The translator seems nervous and surprised that the researcher came back, who asks what he's doing. He says he's just about to leave, and just as he does, he smiles, revealing a brand new set of teeth. He then admits to killing the wolves, saying something like "you've got to do what you've got to do", and then walks off. So basically, it wasn't the pilot who killed the wolves (even though he's anti-environment), but rather the translator, who killed them whilst the researcher was away so that he could buy a new set of teeth, amongst other things.

From his research, he concludes that wolves actually helped the caribou population to remain strong, and also that caribou weren't the only thing in their diets; many wolves lived off mice alone, which were abundant. Instead, it was humans who were harming the caribou by infringing on their land and hunting the strong animals, as well as killing wolves (which reduced the genetic strength of the caribou).
    Last edited by Lupus Paws; May 19th, 2017 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Typo
    “We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly perceive it to be – the mythologized epitome of a savage ruthless killer – which is, in reality, no more than a reflected image of ourself.” - Farley Mowat, Never Cry Wolf

There are some big-ass storms headed this way.
    the birds are back in town
    It rhymes with gurglin'
    Wait no it doesn't

https://discord.gg/fwjUR3H

Guys and gals and primates of all ages, above is a link to a discord server for Werelist that I just made, in response to a discussion on another thread. Feel free to join.
    "Of course it's in your head, Harry. Why should that mean it's not real?" -Albus Dumbledore

What do we do on your site Natsilani.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDaMShZy8j8

This cormorant is investigating a camera.
    the birds are back in town
    It rhymes with gurglin'
    Wait no it doesn't