Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The perils of sharing personal information online

I found this place through Google.
    "Quoting yourself in your signature is silly" ~Kerguelen
    It rhymes with gurglin'
    Wait no it doesn't

Blog Entries

The other forum I'm on (the Yadaforum) has three clearly labeled sections: Public, members only, and invitation only. People can request to be let into the invitation only section once they've been there for a certain number of months and have a certain minimum post count.

My favorite part is that the sections are separated and clearly labeled. On Werelist if I want to be sure about whether something is or isn't publicly accessible, I open another browser where I'm not logged in and try to access it. On the Yadaforum all I have to do is look at what section the thread is in, because the sections actually have "members only" or "invitation only" right in the name.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSloth View Post
    The other forum I'm on (the Yadaforum) has three clearly labeled sections: Public, members only, and invitation only. People can request to be let into the invitation only section once they've been there for a certain number of months and have a certain minimum post count.

My favorite part is that the sections are separated and clearly labeled. On Werelist if I want to be sure about whether something is or isn't publicly accessible, I open another browser where I'm not logged in and try to access it. On the Yadaforum all I have to do is look at what section the thread is in, because the sections actually have "members only" or "invitation only" right in the name.
    I'm no expert, so I don't claim to be. But I ran a PHPBB forum myself about 10 years ago, own domain, hosting site, the works. I could set certain parts public and some private/member only.

I agree Blue, if these parts were clearly labeled, perhaps even a warning on the header when you post a reply that it is public or private/member only for all to see or only members, then one might be cautious on what they say in those public areas.

I too found this place on Google. But more because of the great and long standing reputation this site commands. It's an institution among the forums on Therianthropy. It was the first forum I signed up for after my awakening.

I am a member on other boards, like Kinmunity. I like it there, and I like it here. I do wish there was more activity here like there was in the "good old days" lol.

I must say, this makes me second guess if I have posted anything unknowingly in these public areas that I deem "private" in nature.

Admin; is there a way to manually code the index/forum php script to clearly say Public and Member Only? Just curious.
    Last edited by AziMWolf; July 2nd, 2016 at 09:58 PM.

Blog Entries

I'll add that I found the Yadaforum through Google and had lots of public discussions to read to see what it was all about, but at the same time all the really private stuff was kept safe. There's lots of things people will only say in the invitation only section.

I have never posted any of my personal information online nor would I. I may have a learning disability but I am smart enough to know how dangerous it is to do so. I would never give out things like my address or my social security number or anything like that. That's why I am not to fond of social media like facebook and other such stuff because it can be used against you. That's why I don't use it. If you don't believe me, Then watch the sci-fi channel show called The internet ruined my life. There they show all the things people did wrong while using the internet and social media. While I trust werelist and my therian friends, I still will not give out anything that can hurt me or my family.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; July 2nd, 2016 at 10:51 PM.

Blog Entries

I don't (like so many of my friends), advertise my home address, cellphone number for anyone to see. Even on Facebook, I am private.

But with something like this, one cannot take enough caution. If it wasn't something to be cautious of, TLC wouldn't have made that show "What!? I think I'm an animal". Face it mainstream media and most people either think we are crazy nuts out of touch with reality, and/or sick and in need of professional help.

To most, we are a joke. I've seen this with a recent Facebook ad trying to sell a shirt that says "I am a wolf trapped in a human body". One of the comments says "F***ing otherkin.

We're a joke to most, to the rest someone they don't want their kids to be around or associate with for the fears we might bite someone.

Blog Entries

This ; https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...TfH2r3GSGMsiFP

(heavily redacted) screenshot from Facebook messenger, involving myself and a local from my town who blocked me after I announced I had the soul of a wolf / was a therian.

I back peddled by saying it was a phase I grew out of.

But this is why it's never good to just broadcast something.

So just as long as we don't put any of our personal details on here, we should be okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    So just as long as we don't put any of our personal details on here, we should be okay?
    Correct. Obviously you should never give anyone your social security number, home address, credit card/bank info unless you trust them. Posting such online, in a forum, is basically asking for trouble. So just use common sense.

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, The 10th Kingdom
    Seawolf = wolf/werewolf & mermaid

Thanks for replying!

Quote Originally Posted by elinox View Post
    Correct. Obviously you should never give anyone your social security number, home address, credit card/bank info unless you trust them. Posting such online, in a forum, is basically asking for trouble. So just use common sense.