7 25.00%
  • Sometimes outside, like if it's warm or I'm not going too far

19 67.86%
  • Always, wherever I go

1 3.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone go barefoot?

hawaii,, i miss the mountains of colorado qwq

Yes!! as much as possible. Luckily I live in a warm area so I can go barefoot or wear flip-flops most of the time. Close-toed shoes will be the death of me, honestly,,

walking barefoot in damp grass is amazing. honestly

Blog Entries

I used to think going barefoot was a good idea until I got a tiny stick stuck in my foot and had to carve it out with a hunting knife. Nowadays, only if I'm certain I'm not going to step on anything nasty.

Blog Entries

Shoes aren't allowed in the house where I live, which is fine with me because wearing shoes in a house feels really weird and pointless anyway. Also I tend to have audio cables and stuff laying on the floor, and I definitely want to be able to feel what I'm stepping on so I can avoid stepping on it.

One time I walked around the back yard barefoot, and got my feet all dirty, and it suddenly occurred to me that I can't take my dirty feet off the way I can take dirty shoes off. That was awkward. I don't go in the back yard barefoot anymore.

I do go in the front yard barefoot. I've gone as far as across the street barefoot. If I'm going any further than that I put shoes on because there's nasty sharp stuff out there.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSloth View Post
    Shoes aren't allowed in the house where I live, which is fine with me because wearing shoes in a house feels really weird and pointless anyway. Also I tend to have audio cables and stuff laying on the floor, and I definitely want to be able to feel what I'm stepping on so I can avoid stepping on it.

One time I walked around the back yard barefoot, and got my feet all dirty, and it suddenly occurred to me that I can't take my dirty feet off the way I can take dirty shoes off. That was awkward. I don't go in the back yard barefoot anymore.

I do go in the front yard barefoot. I've gone as far as across the street barefoot. If I'm going any further than that I put shoes on because there's nasty sharp stuff out there.
    What about wearing sandals.? If I can't go barefoot outside and I don't feel like putting on shoes, Then I wear sandals and walk around and not have to worry about cutting my footpaws. Also, Is wearing of sandals consider going barefoot.?

I do when I'm in the car, at home, at the beach, or whenever it's socially appropriate and I'm going to be somewhere for awhile, except when I'm walking a distance or on rough surfaces in which case I go with sandals! I also try to avoid thick soled or closed toe shoes unless I'm in a professional environment because of the uncomfortable conflict I get between phantom talons and the shoe.

I use to go barefoot quite often these days. But it's more for practical reasons... This skill appears to be useful in a bunch of different situations while living in the nature. For example:

In the spring, when there are a lot of creeks and streams of water everywhere from melting snow, it's natural to cross them barefoot. And if it's needed to cross them often, put on and take off boots takes a lot of time. So if there is not too cold (means snow is not everywhere), I usually go barefoot in the spring. And it's an interesting experience, when you feel all contrasts. I start to enjoy it very much.

In the winter, when you build a nice warm shelter, it's often a situation when you need to get in and out several times. And warm boots become wet very quickly contacting with snow, as well as putting them on takes time. So if it is a short task (to fix a fire, bring closer some firewood, or to gather some snow for melting, or water if there is a river o creek nearby) I often go barefoot too. Good training for cold resistance.

But the most often condition when I go barefoot is when I live on the river. Embarking and disembarking often needs to step into the water. Walking along the shores with sand beaches. Trailing the boat with the rope upstream on the small rivers along the water's edge. This way I probably walked hundreds of kilometers last year barefoot!

And when you live weeks or months on the rivers this way, it's natural to go barefoot in the forest to gather firewood or for other needs.. The more often it happens, the easier it becomes. The more types of terrain becomes suitable. The more often it happens X)

It every of these cases there could be used some sort of backup shoes, or waterproof or something else.. But it's additional weight and overall unnecessary in my opinion. Ability to go barefoot gives some advantage here.

So, for me it is 15% joy and 85% utility.
    Last edited by Forest Wind; February 24th, 2019 at 05:12 AM.

I like to go barefoot but the sole of my feet is hypersensitive to touch, so I do not go barefoot outside and I'm often swiping the floor to avoid having things that bug me, like, specks of dust (yes sometimes I can feel the DUST with the sole of my feet...) Even with shoes outside is sometimes difficult to manage especially the historic center of my city with all the irregular pavement. Or sticks and stones on the gound in the park. So I cannot walk barefoot outside unless it's very thin sand or a perfect lawn.

I link this sensation with the fact that my kintype has hooves - therefore, should not feel touch under the feet while walking.
    The avatar comes from HERE

Blog Entries

Used to go outside barefoot. Stopped years ago, once we got a dog; I'm sure you can understand why. And, well, here you definitely don't want to be outside without shoes. There are cacti everywhere, and lots of very small droppings that blend in with the soil. I try to avoid the worst of it, but trying to navigate a field of prickly pear without thick boots is foolish.

Might try going barefoot in Massachusetts. Much safer there than the subtropics; there are fewer parasites.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Nope, not outdoors. I typically go barefoot in the house (or keep my shoes on if I'm moving around a lot or going in and out), but I always wear some kind of foot protection when I go outside. I got warts on my feet when I was a kid and I also went outside without shoes a lot, and I'd rather not repeat that experience.

Blog Entries

Eh...I'm not all in ku-hoots with nature like that. Too many risks of cutting your foot depending on where you go, infection/fungus, stepping in crap...the most you'll get me to do is wear breathable socks (do they still make those?) instead of shoes because I'll be honest, sometimes shoes are really restricting. And they hurt the feet more than rocks can at times.

Also good luck in the summer with mosquitoes camping at your bare feet. If I could have an insect barrier on me at all times then maybe I'd feel more inclined to explore outdoors. ha
    Timber wolf therian-- changeling-- horse hearted
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, loosing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~