Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 208

Thread: The Daily Thought - The 24th!

  1. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by micheal65536 View Post
    Wait I think you're misunderstanding. I thought RunningRed was posting a "what if" type of thing of what the media would say if a furry/therian became president (note that it was originally in reply to a quote of yours saying "we need a therian in the white house").lol I was kinda making a joke about the walking on four legs thing, it does strengthen your upper body though and it's about the only form of exercise that I see any point in doing (because being able to move like a wolf and having the strength to do so gets me closer to being a wolf physically).
    Really, Are you sure I misread Red's post. Let me read it again and get back to you guys on that one. I don't have very good eyesight by the way. Well, I think we do need a therian in the white house. Someone who cares more about people and animals then BIG Business and making themselves wealthy. As for exercising, I am still going to walk about on all fours, Just because I think it may work. Thank You Micheal. Ok, I just reread Red's post and yes its a Joke. Thank you RunningRed. That was funny.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; October 11th, 2017 at 06:00 PM.

  2. #72

    Default

    I keep picking at my hair, it's a bad habit and it looks DUMB but god it feels so good
    the birds are back in town
    It rhymes with gurglin'
    Wait no it doesn't

  3. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    As for exercising, I am still going to walk about on all fours, Just because I think it may work. Thank You Micheal.
    Don't get me wrong, it definitely does work for strengthening your upper body (and improving co-ordination) but I'm hesitant to suggest it as an actual exercise because most people/therians either don't see the point or say "been there, done that, wasn't comfortable". My experience though is that those who say "wasn't comfortable" didn't keep at it for long enough, for me the first week was tiring but then after that it just starts feeling more and more natural. Now, when I walk on four legs, I often phantom shift quite a bit and don't really feel the awkward proportions of the human body that much.

    The pads on your front paws will also get thicker the more you do this, make sure they're thick enough before you head outside though and don't make the mistake I made of trying to walk in the woods on four legs because it was very painful and I was bleeding and got a whole pile of splinters. If you want to get this right, make sure you're standing/walking on your fingers and toes with your palms and heels off the ground rather than flat on the ground, this is how a wolf stands and it makes it a lot easier too (at least for me). And make sure you move your legs in the correct order, once you've learnt this the wrong way it will be very difficult to correct, a useful website that I found was http://vanat.cvm.umn.edu/gaits/index.html and you can also find some videos of wolves walking and slow them down (make sure to distinguish between walking and trotting, they're quite different but easy to confuse at first).

    Finally, if walking is too tiring/exerting for you at first, start with just standing. For the first two weeks, I spent a lot of time just standing on four legs. Stand for as long as possible, until either your muscles feel weak/tired or your front paws hurt (this happens at first because of how thin they are). Take a break for a minute or two then repeat. Keep going until you can't take it anymore or you feel like doing something else. A few hours later, repeat. Even though it was tiring, I found that this builds up strength quite quickly and it's easier to learn to walk when you already have some strength than to be stumbling along because you're simply too weak to hold yourself up.

    TL;DR Ignore this, I'm rambling on like an expert about something I know next to nothing about (neither does anyone else, because this isn't a thing humans do). Just do whatever feels right for you, it worked for me.
    Last edited by micheal65536; October 12th, 2017 at 07:50 AM.
    Psychological therian.

    "If it howls like a wolf, snarls like a wolf, and thinks it's a wolf, then it probably is a wolf." - micheal65536

  4. #74

    Default

    @ Micheal. Well, How about I don't do the walking on all fours all that much, Seeing how pretty much all of the flooring in my house is wooden. So I will have to stick to walking on all fours to what ever carpeting I have in my house and its not much. Trying to walk on wooden floors on all fours is something I'm not going to do even if its for exercising. While I have walked on all fours before it wasn't so much un-comfortable as it was difficult, Maybe because I was trying to walk on wooden floor at the time and not carpet. The human body was never meant to walk like that. Dam human body. Anyway, Tomorrow is my Barkday. October 13. I will be 36.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; October 12th, 2017 at 03:06 PM.

  5. #75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    @ Micheal. Well, How about I don't do the walking on all fours all that much, Seeing how pretty much all of the flooring in my house is wooden. So I will have to stick to walking on all fours to what ever carpeting I have in my house and its not much. Trying to walk on wooden floors on all fours is something I'm not going to do even if its for exercising. While I have walked on all fours before it wasn't so much un-comfortable as it was difficult, Maybe because I was trying to walk on wooden floor at the time and not carpet. The human body was never meant to walk like that. Dam human body. Anyway, Tomorrow is my Barkday. October 13. I will be 36.
    I don't see how wooden floors will be a problem. It might take a bit more getting used to though. I would honestly recommend that you at least try it for a week or two, it becomes a lot easier after then. I believe that what we are born able to do shouldn't limit us later in life, we can do anything within the limits of what is physically possible given enough time and determination. You say your body was never meant to walk on four legs, but that doesn't mean that you can't adapt your body through exercise and practice.

    All I can say is to give it a try and don't give up too quickly, you're using muscles in a way that you've never used them before and you're moving your body in ways that you've never moved it before, it takes both stronger muscles (from exercise) and better co-ordination (from practice) to overcome this. You'd be surprised how much of your difficulty is down to not just lacking the physical strength but also not knowing how to move your legs in the right way. Take it slowly, start with walking one step at a time, focussing on lifting and putting down each leg in the correct order. Do this for a week or two, then compare how easy or comfortable it feels afterwards to before.
    Psychological therian.

    "If it howls like a wolf, snarls like a wolf, and thinks it's a wolf, then it probably is a wolf." - micheal65536

  6. #76

    Default

    HEHE. Because the wood floor is hard on my knees and it hurts. So I will stick to carpet. I didn't tell you but I walk on all fours on my knees and not my feet. I tried to walk on all fours for like 2 days while playing with my dogs on the wooden floors but I couldn't do it. But I see what you are saying and will keep trying it.

  7. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    I didn't tell you but I walk on all fours on my knees and not my feet.
    Yeah... don't do that. You won't be able to move properly at all and you'll probably damage your knees. The best way is to walk on your toes, don't try to put your heel on the ground. If your back legs end up too long, bend them at the knee. I can take a picture if you want.
    Psychological therian.

    "If it howls like a wolf, snarls like a wolf, and thinks it's a wolf, then it probably is a wolf." - micheal65536

  8. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by micheal65536 View Post
    Yeah... don't do that. You won't be able to move properly at all and you'll probably damage your knees. The best way is to walk on your toes, don't try to put your heel on the ground. If your back legs end up too long, bend them at the knee. I can take a picture if you want.
    That's ok, I will figure it out. Thank you. Anyway, Today is My Barkday. I am 36 years old.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; October 13th, 2017 at 01:52 PM.

  9. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    That's ok, I will figure it out. Thank you. Anyway, Today is My Barkday. I am 36 years old.
    Happy Birthday! (?)

    (I assume that's what a barkday is?)
    Psychological therian.

    "If it howls like a wolf, snarls like a wolf, and thinks it's a wolf, then it probably is a wolf." - micheal65536

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    N.Y
    Posts
    564
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    That's ok, I will figure it out. Thank you. Anyway, Today is My Barkday. I am 36 years old.
    Happy 'Barkday' Hige! I hope you're enjoying it so far~
    Timber wolf therian-- changeling-- horse hearted/therian
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, loosing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •