Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's hunting season!

Blog Entries

Was hoping to get out with some falconer friends and chase rabbits this year, but... work happened. Life happened. I wish very much I could be out there this year, but it's not looking likely. I've been wanting to more than usual. But I haven't even gotten to take advantage my irritatingly expensive fishing license this year...

Let us know how your hunting goes, Savage!

Let me know if you bag any, Savage! I'll live vicariously through you lol.

In all seriousness, if I didn't live in a small city apartment, had my own house with a place to actually properly prep my kills, I would be hunting. Although, not with a gun, rather a bow and arrows. I don't do well with loud, sudden noises even if it's expected.

I always wanted to go turkey hunting and bag my family's thanksgiving turkey. Deer would be nice, and would feed my family for a good long while. I've been interested in moose hunts but I'd have to travel for that and with how they're managed, I wouldn't be able to hunt them personally. I'd have to go with someone who had a permit for it.

Blog Entries

To add to my previous thoughts..
    I used to have a prey drive when I was younger, but that was also because I was in a social setting where everyone was 'playing wolf'. All my kintypes eat/hunt in groups most of the time. Of course this doesn't go for everyone, but I personally would definitely be more amped up if I was in a hunting group instead of by myself. Quite frankly, I have almost zero prey drive or hunting shifts when I'm by myself. Even if I'm hungry.. Also probably because now I'm just so used to having food without much effort. If I was surviving out in the wilderness, I'd have to tap into that (currently) dormant part of me.
    Timber wolf therian-- changeling-- horse hearted/therian
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, loosing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

I would love to go hunting one day. I'd want to tag along with someone who knows how to track the animal and give it a nice, fast, clean kill-shot. I'm not in favor of making an animal suffer needlessly. I can't stand people who wound animals on purpose just so they can track the blood trail. That's such an awful thing to do to an animal. :<

Blog Entries

I actually did get the chance to go out with my falconer friends today and beat the brush for rabbits. It's definitely satisfying to get out there chasing rabbits. Lots of fun just to be around the raptors too. No luck today, though we did scare up quite a few rabbits.

I'm really hoping to get to go out some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Quiletine Black View Post
    Goodluck to all werewolves like us, Dash. This, no doubt, will be tough.
    Are you talking from a place of being sentimental like others here, in that you like animals too much to kill them or are you coming from a place of fantastical physical werewolf shape shifting where it may be "tough" to avoid getting killed?

Apologies if I come off too harsh, just curious

*edit* Ignore all that ↑↑↑
    Sorry, was not paying full attention, didn't realize there were three pages to this thread, only read the first one then responded (doh!). Thought it was a dead/necro posting thread ): was going to add a response to the OP anyway. so.. here it is...

I wish I could hunt, I love wild game, the taste of meat. I've never handled a gun, save for once, and like others feel like I might be uneasy at first, both due to inexperience with a gun (or any hunting weapon) as well as my concern for the animal.
    Last edited by Amelia Nightside; January 2nd, 2018 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuolf View Post
    Let me know if you bag any, Savage! I'll live vicariously through you lol.
    Plenty. Season's over now but I tagged out and got my limit all right. Freezers are very, very full.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia Nightside View Post
    Are you talking from a place of being sentimental like others here, in that you like animals too much to kill them or are you coming from a place of fantastical physical werewolf shape shifting where it may be "tough" to avoid getting killed?
    Hopefully the former; the latter would just be silly since we aren't living in an episode of the newly rebooted X-Files.

I wish I could hunt, I love wild game, the taste of meat. I've never handled a gun, save for once, and like others feel like I might be uneasy at first, both due to inexperience with a gun (or any hunting weapon) as well as my concern for the animal.
    Not a far line from wishing to doing. Save up a bit for a decent hunting rifle - you can pick up a really nice .243 that will do the job for $200-$300 - and do some range time with it to get accurate. A good scope will cost almost that much again but it will help loads in getting accurate; otherwise use what came with the rifle till you can buy a better one. Once you get good at that, your state should offer basic hunting safety classes for free. Take those, get your license, and get out there.

Crossbow hunting is also an option. I do that during bow season. You can buy a decent deer killer for $200-250 on the low end with a usable scope. Venison is very delicious and you can get a lot of meat for your investment in a gun or a bow and a hunting license.

Hopefully the former; the latter would just be silly since we aren't living in an episode of the newly rebooted X-Files.
    Agreed.

I think I'd be more comfortable with a bow, just dunno if I'd have the arm strength for it. I've had venison, wild boar and wild turkey. Don't recall but may have had bear in my time too.. I just know it's all delicious

I really want to try rabbit. I've never had rabbit before but I hear it's awesomely delicious!