Thread: What We Do in the Shadows

Default What We Do in the Shadows

Has anyone else seen this movie?

It's a really endearing comedy - a mockumentary about vampires who are roommates in New Zealand.
    The attention to detail about vampire lore is good, and a lot of it is played for laughs in ways that I found to be hilarious.
    It's the first time I've watched a comedy movie in a long time, where most of the humor wasn't derived from rudeness or secondhand embarrassment, or stereotyping minority groups. Thank goodness!

Some of the secondary characters include a pack of werewolves, and I thought the way they were portrayed was also really good - it was based on outdated knowledge about pack dynamics, but I could forgive that because it was really dang cute. The werewolf guys looked out for one another, and the leader ("alpha," womp womp) definitely had that "I'm in charge so I have to take care of everyone" type of leadership, which I thought was a really nice change of pace from a lot of "lone wolf" stereotypes or aggressive infighting that shows up in other fictional werewolves.

All in all it was very endearing, and a pleasant surprise!

I've heard rumors that there's going to be a sequel or spin-off that focuses on the werewolves, and I'm looking forward to it.

I never heard of it before and I never seen it before. Do you think its on Netflix.? I'm not really into vampire movie but I would watch the werewolf one if it ever comes out.

I had heard of it and am interested in watching it, although I never go to theaters so hopefully I can find it somewhere like Netflix or Amazon soon It looked really, really funny. I had first read about it so when I saw the trailer I knew what it was. Didn't know about the werewolf connection, too funny. Thanks for reminding me to look for it YourDeer!

Blog Entries

LOVE this movie. I've seen it many times, because it's been one of my go-to movie recommendations for the last few years. As a result, I've shown it to a lot of different people.

After watching it the first time, I told my partner I really wish they'd do a whole movie about the werewolves. Taiki Watiti has been saying it's going to happen (under the punny title "We're Wolves"). But he has his hands in so many projects right now, it is likely to take a long time, if it actually happens at all.

Werewolves... not swearwolves...

Hige, Amarok: It's on Amazon's streaming service. I sure hope Netflix picks it up sometime soon, too.

Kiso: Yeah, I've already re-watched it by showing it to people too. It's hard to get tired of!
    Good point about it taking a while... but I'll look forward to We're Wolves for as long as it takes, hahah!

I just watched the trailer on youtube. It looks funny as hell, So I will keep an eye out for it if it comes on youtube. HAHA, Now you got me looking up horror movie trailers.

A very underappreciated and unknown movie! Which is a huge shame since it's hilarious and I love it!

And a sequel focusing on the werewolves? That sounds awesome, count me in!

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, The 10th Kingdom
    Seawolf = wolf/werewolf & mermaid