Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holidays 2017

Blog Entries

I'll be spending the holidays with my family--obviously, I'll be missing a good part of Hannukah because it's already happened--but the rest of the time I'll get to spend back home, with my parents, my brother, and the cats. Also the dog, but he doesn't count. New Year's will be at my grandmother's place, in Tucson. Not sure what we'll do, but we usually drink sparkling juice of some sort and wear silly hats.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Yeah my Parents are visiting from Oregon for 3 WEEKS. And we live in a townhome. So 7 us and a cat and a Great Pyrenees all under one roof. Oh yeah and I have deadlines before the break and have not bought ONE F'ING PRESENT yet....

and we are -$18 in the bank until Thursday....

Fucking Holidays :P

So I think my biggest issue is I never ever think it is Christmas time (or to plan things) until my birthday on the 14th, and for some stupid reason I like to think I have two weeks or more to then get things when in reality it is 9 days. Less if you figure my actual b'day is a wash and the 24th is useless....

On the plus side we have food and a house and everyone is healthy and we are together

Happy Holidays everyone!

Blog Entries

Man, one of my oldest friends is 7 months pregnant and she and her husband just found her mother dead a couple days ago.

... kind of puts my recent bullshit in perspective. It can always be worse, folks. Sigh. Horrible, horrible timing; this friend is the biggest Christmas fanatic I've ever met. It's awful for me to think of this season always having a shadow over it for her now.

In other news... one overnight train ride later, and I made it home early yesterday. Slept off the train grogginess and surprised my fiance, who hasn't seen me in almost three months, by cleaning up the place and decorating. I'll try to get a photo of my mantle later for y'all, maybe. We went out for dinner, too.

Then this morning it has been snowing... kind of a sweet, peaceful end to my travels. I'm goddamn determined to make the end of this year as pleasant as possible.

I have to go do the paperwork to get the insurance money on my poor, poor totaled car today.

Blog Entries

Have a festive skull. That's my mantle. It's hard to see because I'm using them as weights to hold up the stockings, but there's an old horseshoe and an old railroad tie on there, both of them found during fieldwork. There's some bones (like a beaver skull), a teeny mule deer antler, some petrified wood, and some other various natural history odds and ends there as well.

Note the little fox plush and the pattern of the stockings... my mom continually gives me fox things these days! I'm not sure why?? I think it's because she associates me with foxes since I helped raise some for a job a few years ago when I was working with captive canids. But mine were grey foxes. :P

Sometimes people associate me with red foxes anyway, though, because I am teeny and have fluffy red hair. Not like many people make coyote merchandise anyway, haha.

Alright! Oreo cream cheese balls and homemade whole berry cranberry sauce are done! In the morning I'm making the green bean casserole and homemade mac-n-cheese with chicken cubes! Then it's off to the semi-awkward family reunion Christmas party thing! It's good to know I will have some decent breaks between all the upcoming gatherings where I can enjoy the festivities and get stuff done around the house (ugh...chores).

Blog Entries

Heh, I made even more Oreo balls, Buckeyes, toffee, and ginger cookies with my sister! So I had a tin to haul home on the train for my fiancÚ. I will probably make even MORE treats soon for my friends here out west! @.@

Som!! How do you make your homemade Mac and cheese? That sounds great!

Wow!!!! Your baking looks friggin killer. Happy Holidays!

It's snowing! It will be for a few days. I've made a tiny snowman and it looks horrified, because all I could find were round rocks for its mouth.

Kiso - Oh! I follow the recipe for the "Down-Home Mac and Cheese" recipe that's on the box of Velveeta. The only difference is I don't add in the extra cheeses, cracker crumb topping, and I don't bake it. So, basically I just boil up the macaroni noodles and I follow the cheese sauce recipe and lump in a bag of pre-cooked chicken cubes, stir everything together until it's warm and it's done! : D

Kerguelen - That sounds freakin' adorable! xD

Cheetah - I like how you mentioned the dog doesn't count as part of the visiting festivities. Hahaha! Too funny!
    Last edited by Somnia; December 23rd, 2017 at 10:38 AM.

I'll be spending time with family on Christmas and avoiding looking at my bank account until I get my next paycheck @.@ Otherwise, not too much going on.
    I got a $2.00 raise at my job recently, though! So that is very very good news to end the year on

Also, I want to start trying to be more active on here. I was never really active to begin with but I want to fix that!
    Anywho I hope you guys have a good holiday. Stay warm, eat cookies, make a fire, all that jazz.