Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holidays 2017

I'd love to see more activity on here. Of course, maybe I should come up with some things to talk about if I want to so bad....

Blog Entries

Yeah, I think it becomes a vicious cycle where people notice a lack of activity and consequently don't feel motivated to post... which creates more inactivity. :P It's going to take some proactive conversation-starting to kick-start activity. I've been jogging my brain trying to come up with things to say which haven't already been said.

Sometimes browsing old topics is really useful, and necro-posting is totally cool here if you have things to add to old conversations.

ANYWAY! Today is Christmas Eve. Do you guys have traditions for it? Are any of y'all those weird opening-gifts-Christmas-Eve people??

I'm going to spend a chunk of the day making MORE treats. Buckeyes and Oreo balls again, plus more peppermint patties... hopefully they'll come out a little nicer. Also I'm attempting making some soft caramels, which I plan to chocolate dip and sprinkle a bit of sea salt on.

Then I'm making some of my family's old "traditional" Christmas Eve food, which for whatever bizarre reason includes Shake n' Bake barbeque wings. Specifically that exact bbq glaze. I do not know why. But it IS really especially tasty, and is always holiday food to me now. So, I'm making some of those and I've got some of the other stuff we typically did when I was younger - a nice vegetable plate, some decent sharp cheddar, and shrimp cocktail. My fiance invited a coworker to join us. Fiance easily finds people annoying, even when (especially when?) they are seeming to reach out interested in actually becoming friends.

"I'm sorry people annoy you with their friendship!
    " I said to him, and encouraged him to just go for it. This guy does sound a wee bit annoying, but everyone is annoying, including and especially me. So we'll see.

Accalia - Congrats on getting a $2 raise! The last time I got a raise was about 3 years ago and it was 25 cents... :P

I wish the company (hospital) I work for gave out more raises but they are super stingy. You're basically stuck making close to what you make when you first get hired on so unless you advance your credentials, or change jobs to a better paying field, you're out of luck with raises...

Kiso - I'm one of those weirdo people who does the "opens gifts on Christmas Eve" ! : D

It's been a tradition on my mate's side of the family for pretty much forever. Christmas Day is usually always spent with just my parents and the mate and we exchange and open gifts on that day. It makes it nice spacing out holiday gatherings so we're not trying to cram too many things in one day.

The homemade soft caramel treats sound awesome! Ughhh I should commission you to make me a tin of your amazing treats because I want to try ALL OF THEM! : D

Yesterday was nice. The family reunion thing was not nearly as awkward as I thought it was. There were several 2nd-3rd generation cousins I didn't really talk to because I don't know them very well. :< ...The older cousins and some of my older 2nd cousins I get along with better since I've known them a lot longer. Overall it was a fun day.

I'm pretty much caught up on house chores. I need to dust some furniture pieces but it's not an emergency to get it done any time soon. I may tackle that project later in the week since I have the rest of the week off, but for the most part the house is nice and tidy! Just a few minor light chores tomorrow and I won't have to mess with the house again for a few days. HUZZAH!!

Blog Entries

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone! Many of you seem to be in a bad place right now so lets hope next year will start on the positive side

Happy Holidays to all of my extended internet pack on the WL!! We open on Christmas day because that is what my mate says we do When I was younger it was XMas even at one Grandparents and Christmas at the other.

Tonight I am making Ahi Tuna and tomorrow will be roast beef yum....

Our big tradition is that we watch Polar Express every Christmas Eve. We try not to watch it any other time so we make a nice dinner and get all the presents under the tree for the morning then after the movie we all split up and stuff each others stockings. The kids are all old enough now to do that

Hope everyone has a safe and happy holidays!!

Amarok - Ahi Tuna??? I'm coming over to your place! : D

Ohhh the Polar Express is a Christmas movie I don't yet have on Bluray. I'm going to wait and see what all I get for Christmas gifts and if I don't happen to get it for Christmas, if I'm gifted money I will probably go out and buy a copy. If you guys have a crock pot you should totally have a homemade hot chocolate "bar" complete with funky colored marshmallows! I have a friend that does that when they watch that movie. They always pause it and get hot chocolate and homemade cookies before that certain scene happens in the movie, Haha!
    Last edited by Somnia; December 24th, 2017 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somnia View Post
    Accalia - Congrats on getting a $2 raise! The last time I got a raise was about 3 years ago and it was 25 cents... :P

I wish the company (hospital) I work for gave out more raises but they are super stingy. You're basically stuck making close to what you make when you first get hired on so unless you advance your credentials, or change jobs to a better paying field, you're out of luck with raises...
    I'm sorry to hear that I wish you received more raises over there, all that hard work just to stay basically at starting-wage is rather selfish of them (especially given how much hospitals make... lol).
    Hope you are able to get a better paying job in the future at least, if the current one isn't doing it for ya!

also @Kiso you should totally share those tasty treats with us!! Maybe we would be more active if we had the incentive of tasty holiday sweets :3

Happy Christmas!!!

Christmas Eve at the mate's parents house was really nice. Got to visit with everyone, had a lot of good food (finger foods! : D) and I got some nice gifts. Today is pretty much chilling at my house in my fluffy Christmas pajama pants, cooking homemade potato soup in the crock pot, and waiting for the parental units to show up later this afternoon. It's going to be a nice and relaxing day! ^__^

Getting the cooking done as I post this.
    Made the best cornbread EVER!

Merry Christmas or whatever holiday you celebrate!
    Had some of my mom's homemade enchiladas for dinner, nothin' beats it!