Thread: Alpha (2018)

Default Alpha (2018)

I saw this preview the last time I was at the theater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIxnTi4GmCo

Basically, it looks like a drama film depicting early man and the beginnings of their bonding relationships with wild wolves. The movie looks pretty cool but I'm not sure I'll see it at the theater. May wait and watch it once it comes out on Bluray. What do you guys think about it?

Blog Entries

Title makes me cringe so much. I have to cross my fingers that there's not too much stupid pop-culture wolf behavior in this film, but I suspect my hopes will be in vain.

I also worry about how movies like this may encourage people to look into wolves and wolfdogs as pets ... which rarely works out well.

So, that's a double whammy... this movie has the potential to set things back on TWO fronts that I tend to be faced with a lot. Sigh.

That said, the story itself looks touching and the visuals were pretty cool. Plus, cute dog. Hard not to like.

Blog Entries

Looks like it might be bad anthropology too. The Wikipedia description for the film says that it shows how the "first tentative bond between man and canine" was formed.

Don't know about how they portray the people of the era; that might be accurate.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I dunno, I think you're looking into it a bit too much. It seems more like another wilderness survival movie set in early times. There is the wolf thing but there was also the guy's tribe which he got separated from. Now he does befriend a wolf but I think the whole survival aspect seemed to dominate the trailer.

OMG! I forgot I posted this thing! Hahaha!! Oh Lort... ;P

I don't really see how I'm looking into the movie too much. It was kinda what came to mind from watching the preview. Just thinking "Okay, it's a tale of a human and wolf surviving together, but shows how the bonds between wolf and man began"...

Yeah, I also did raise my eyebrows at the movie title thinking "Oh Lort, this is going to be bad" ... Now here's where I look into the meaning of the movie title a bit too much (haha!)... I think the use of the word "Alpha" may be in reference to "first" (like the first letter of the Greek alphabet)... How it's the "first" origin story of humans bonding with wolves...
    Last edited by Somnia; March 4th, 2018 at 04:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Did anyone see it, though? I can't remember when it's going to be released, on whether it's good or not. I was also cringing at the whole "alpha" thing for the title, but like Somnia said, it could mean the beginnings of the man and wolf bond that created our dogs that we have today.

I was intrigued by it, but I don't know on if it has been released yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Alliana View Post
    Did anyone see it, though? I can't remember when it's going to be released, on whether it's good or not. I was also cringing at the whole "alpha" thing for the title, but like Somnia said, it could mean the beginnings of the man and wolf bond that created our dogs that we have today.

I was intrigued by it, but I don't know on if it has been released yet.
    According to IMDB, it's supposed to be released in the US in September of this year. (For some reason, I had it as March 2 on my calendar, so likely they switched it to a later release.)

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 36 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elinox View Post
    According to IMDB, it's supposed to be released in the US in September of this year. (For some reason, I had it as March 2 on my calendar, so likely they switched it to a later release.)
    Ooooo, okay! Thanks! I always forget to check IMDB, I am a bit saddened that they are going to release it later but I can't wait to see it!

However, I will be here waiting with baited breath to see on how good it does. I don't want to go into the movie theater knowing it's bad or else it's a waste of my money/time.