Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reinstating the term "lycanthrope"

Blog Entries

Default Reinstating the term "lycanthrope"

The term therianthrope is too cumbersome and too hard to explain to newbies, parents, coworkers, and that guy on the bus who keeps asking me about my wolf t-shirt.

So I propose we ditch it and resume using lycanthrope.

I know some of the unfortunate souls out there cursed to exist with a non-canine animal soul will poo-poo the idea of returning to a wolf-centric term.
    "Poo-poo," they say, "lycanthrope is too restrictive. We're tired of people assuming we're were-wolves when we're just were-lions, were-tigers, were-bears."

So we can use the term Lesser Lycanthope to refer to those who aren't awesome enough to be wolves; like lions, dragons, foxes, kitsune, dogs, huskies.

I'd also like to start using a term to refer to those who don't identify as lycanthope (or therian), much like Muggle refers to non-wizards.
    I think Prey would be an adequate term for those spiritual side is limited to hairless, fangless apes.

Forever Running, RunningRed

Lycanthrope is to long and so is therianthropy so how about we go back to using the old term Were. Its only 4 letters and takes less time to say. Also, If some ask us why we are walking around with tails on the street. We can just reply that we are a Were. If they ask us for more information, Then we can just give them the full explaining that we are werewolves, weresharks, or werebirds and to what therianthropy is.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; June 4th, 2018 at 08:42 PM.

I am all for returning to the term "were," even I have personally gone back to referring to myself as one, as people take to the term more quickly than i have seen with "therianthrope." I'd also be curious to see what the majority of the community would think up when it comes to a new term for referring to non-alterhuman people.

I feel that this could work! I mean, hyenas are always mistaken for canines anyways. And baboons are often referred to as "dog-faced monkeys." So I'm practically an honorary canine by default.
    Since baboons are pretty much wolves with shaved faces and hands, I'll just refer to myself as a poodle lycanthrope.

Actually not a fan of "were" bcs of the the P-shift connotations, but lesser lycanthrope should absolutely become a thing, especially for certain basement kitties (looking at you Savage :P )

I also like the idea of "prey" since when I call humans "monkeys" it gets either lost or misconstrued.....

Quote Originally Posted by Amarok View Post
    Actually not a fan of "were" bcs of the the P-shift connotations, but lesser lycanthrope should absolutely become a thing, especially for certain basement kitties (looking at you Savage :P )

I also like the idea of "prey" since when I call humans "monkeys" it gets either lost or misconstrued.....
    Yeah, But lycanthrope only apply to werewolves. It doesn't apply to werecats or any other wereanimal.

Good thing this post is in Fun And Games or I'd have to move it there. Assuming airs and superiority isn't a thing that will get you far on the serious side. Jokes are fine of course.

A bit silly perhaps, since everyone knows that cats rule and canines just drool.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Good thing this post is in Fun And Games or I'd have to move it there. Assuming airs and superiority isn't a thing that will get you far on the serious side. Jokes are fine of course.

A bit silly perhaps, since everyone knows that cats rule and canines just drool.
    Pretty sure my older kitty drools when she noms on things...just sayin'!

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 36 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

Maybe cat but we all know that us canines will always be a therians best friend and that we make much better guard dogs then a house cat would. Lets see what else are we canines good at. How about search and rescues, sniffing out cancer, protecting from predators.

Blog Entries

I was hoping my fellow therians would realize the post wasn't meant to be taken seriously since it was explicitly posted in Fun and Games (if the over the top content wasn't enough of a clue).

I agree that cats are awesome and all kittens are automatically cute by default.
    But were-cats? Ehh. Wolves are just more popular. Apart from Cat People, Cat People remake, and Sleepwalkers, just how many film/tv werecats have there been?
    And anime cat girls don't count! :-D

Forever Running, RunningRed