Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reinstating the term "lycanthrope"

Quote Originally Posted by RunningRed View Post
    I was hoping my fellow therians would realize the post wasn't meant to be taken seriously since it was explicitly posted in Fun and Games (if the over the top content wasn't enough of a clue).

I agree that cats are awesome and all kittens are automatically cute by default.
    But were-cats? Ehh. Wolves are just more popular. Apart from Cat People, Cat People remake, and Sleepwalkers, just how many film/tv werecats have there been?
    And anime cat girls don't count! :-D
    By my count, Not a lot. As a matter of fact you can count how many werecat movie there are on just one paw. There are more werewolf movie then there are of any other wereanimal. By the way, By my count there are 100 werewolf movie that have been make. Going all the way back to the 40s. But I really think that Hollywood should movie about other supernatural animals. Don't you think.? What would you like to see.?

using lycanthrope could get confused with clinical lycanthropy, which is psychosis.
    Going back to were might confuse Earthly-Animal identified persons with those who actually identify as anthropomorphic were-creatures..

Oops, looks like I took it too seriously. sorry.
    Last edited by Amelia Nightside; June 17th, 2018 at 04:28 PM.

Blog Entries

I'd like to see more movies where being a werewolf is relevant to the story.
    One of my complaints about movies/books is when the werewolf is just a generic monster for the protagonist to fight. When you can replace the word "werewolf" with any other monster and have the exact same story.
    Along with that is films where the werewolf isn't a generic monster for the protagonist to fight, but a protagonist. Such as Nicholson's Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    By my count, Not a lot. As a matter of fact you can count how many werecat movie there are on just one paw. There are more werewolf movie then there are of any other wereanimal. By the way, By my count there are 100 werewolf movie that have been make. Going all the way back to the 40s. But I really think that Hollywood should movie about other supernatural animals. Don't you think.? What would you like to see.?

Forever Running, RunningRed

Blog Entries

No worries. And the psychiatric community co-opted 'our" word. I say we reclaim it. Let them find a new term to describe people with animal-related psychoses.
    Like PseduoGarou. Or WolfBonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia Nightside View Post
    using lycanthrope could get confused with clinical lycanthropy, which is psychosis.
    Going back to were might confuse Earthly-Animal identified persons with those who actually identify as anthropomorphic were-creatures..

Oops, looks like I took it too seriously. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by RunningRed View Post
    I'd like to see more movies where being a werewolf is relevant to the story.
    One of my complaints about movies/books is when the werewolf is just a generic monster for the protagonist to fight. When you can replace the word "werewolf" with any other monster and have the exact same story.
    Along with that is films where the werewolf isn't a generic monster for the protagonist to fight, but a protagonist. Such as Nicholson's Wolf.
    Me too, I think they do that because a creature or werewolf is just something cool to fight. They don't take into consideration that it can also be a loving and caring creature that can also be the hero of a movie or book. As a matter of fact, One of my comic books does have the werewolf as the good guy and the ''Human'' Vampire as the bad guy and humans as well. The comic book is called The Astounding Wolf-man. Look it up. Its a good comic book.

Blog Entries

Cool. Kirkman's AWM is in my collection as well. Can concur, it's a great series.

Hey Red. What is your take on the werewolf: The Apocalypse books. I don't know much about it other then its a role-playing game. Would that be more of a werewolf story that where the werewolf is more the hero and not the bad guy.?

Ooh big werewolf fan here. But I do agree to see more werewolf movies with some different formula's though I do admit I am a big fan of Van Helsing who focused more on the vampire vs werewolf vs humans. I dont know but it didnt seem to follow the same exact story as most werewolf movies as much. Plus I do have a soft spot for An American Werewolf in London who really used a different type of werewolf rather then the usual werewolf we see in movies which also was a welcome change. Though I also like the setting of Dog Soldiers. Yeah a bit generic but I loved the setting that it was in 1 place rather then taking place in various locations plus the sometimes various moments when they fight off the werewolves. While Bad Moon also has the same generic story type what was also a nice touch is seeing how the dog reacted to a werewolf and eventually dealt the final blow instead of a human. These movies really left a good impression on me for the change in some elements though most here do still the generic path yet with their own touch. Doesnt make the movies any more good or bad but just does something to try and bring something to the table what isnt always the same.

I am however thinking of writing my own story with some entirely perspective on werewolves where they are indeed more of a hero. I havent done anything yet since I am currently researching the folk lore more since I want it to be close as possible to the tales from those times and while the protaganist would be a werewolf, I am also thinking of brining in other supernatural races and the friends will be other kind of werecreatures with roots in history: Werebear (Rooted in Nordic and Germanic folkore), panther (version of a werecat from Europe folklore) and lion (from African folklore) who will be the main focus in the story. I am also currently looking into other creatures who would also be part of the world. Though I keep the full moon part in it. I still have to put it more into details and have some rough sketches but I do have some idea's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    Hey Red. What is your take on the werewolf: The Apocalypse books. I don't know much about it other then its a role-playing game. Would that be more of a werewolf story that where the werewolf is more the hero and not the bad guy.?
    I haven't actually played those games, but I did buy some of the books in the 90s cause I loved the artwork and setting so I have some idea.
    It was part of White Wolf's World of Darkness series (old, they had since "rebooted" the setting for a New World of Darkness), attempting to have a RP that focused more on storytelling then dice rolls.
    I wouldn't use the word hero, per se. Protagonist might be a better word.
    It's an urban fantasy where the average human doesn't believe in supernatural things. And the missions might be to recover an artifact, or stop a corporation from dumping toxic waste, to investigating a newly awakened werewolf. Werewolves are born, not bitten, but could come from human parents, or wolf parents. Like the Houses in Harry Potter, werewolves belong to a tribe that reflects their ideology or goals. Glasswalkers love living in cities and using the latest tech gadgets, the Get of Fenris were born wolves and think all humans suck, etc, etc.

It's an interesting universe. As I said, I hadn't played, though I did buy several of the spin-off novels from it.