Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you like your steak

Default How do you like your steak

The name saids it all. How do you like to eat your steak.? And what do you like on your steak.? Medium rare or well done. How about what you like on your steak. Me, I like my steak rare with mushrooms and sauce. I like sirloin and filet. I don't like anything with the bone on it.

medium, medium rare

Medium rare. Which, unfortunately, every restaurant chef in America takes to mean "shoe leather grey" inside instead.

"When I say rare, I mean let it look at the oven in terror, then bring it out to me!" -Wolf, The 10th Kingdom

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 36 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

Quote Originally Posted by elinox View Post
    "When I say rare, I mean let it look at the oven in terror, then bring it out to me!" -Wolf, The 10th Kingdom
    I love that series. Have it on blue ray, now I want to watch it again. A friend of mine introduced it to me because of my therianthropy and thought I love the wolf character.

Now on to steak:

Medium rare.
    Pinkish in the middle with a nice sear on the outside.
    And give me a few bottles of A1 sauce as a beverage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zelos View Post
    I love that series. Have it on blue ray, now I want to watch it again. A friend of mine introduced it to me because of my therianthropy and thought I love the wolf character.

Now on to steak:

Medium rare.
    It really makes me wish I had kept the magazine issue where Scott Cohen was saying that he badly wanted the part of Wolf for 10th Kingdom and he plays the Big Bad Wolf for his son (or daughter, I can't remember which). God, I love how he dove deep into that character like the good actor he is.

Anyways, I like mine medium rare. If I ordered rare, I would get a stern talking to from my peers.

As rare as possible. Or however rare the restaurant is willing to serve me lol [which is usually still not rare enough for me].

Blog Entries

What Anuolf said. ...preferably RAW.
    A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.

I like mine medium rare. Nice and pink and "bloody" in the center (yes I know it's not actually 'blood', lol). We use Allegro brand marinades when we cook steaks at home. Depending on our mood we usually go for the Original, Hickory, or Hot and Spicy flavors. Sometimes we will make our own marinade concoction and throw together random stuff (lol)... I never use steak sauce. If you marinade and cook the steak just right you don't need steak sauce (lol)...

For toppings, it's not often I have extra toppings on steak but like Hige, I love mushroom gravy (with grilled onions) on mine... :3

We usually buy Ribeye, T-Bone, or New York Strips. When we are feeling super fancy we will buy Wagyu steaks, but we only have that on very special occasions since it's so 'spensive... @___@
    Last edited by Somnia; July 13th, 2018 at 11:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Depends on the cut.

For a lean cut - usually rare. Blue rare works well on a good flavorful cut.

For my preferred cuts (fatty ones like ribeye) - medium rare or just a bit more than rare. As much as I like my meat to be rare and juicy, if you go too rare on a ribeye or other fatty cut, the fat doesn't render and you miss out on the best texture and flavor.

More than medium rare tastes crappy to me and the texture is way too dry and tough. Much more than medium rare on a fatty cut and you're absolutely wasting a good steak by cooking the fat out.

I like to dry-age my steaks, salt and pepper, and reverse sear (I SWEAR by this cooking method!). I usually do a little garlic and butter as well. Other aromatics and/or spices if I'm feeling like it or if the steak is not an especially nice one and I want to dress it up a little. I do try to rest my steaks before cutting in these days.

For perfection, serve with buttered mashed potatoes and some steamed or roasted asparagus.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zelos View Post

Now on to steak:

Medium rare.
    Same here. I don't mind it being cooked a little
    ("Whisper those sweet succulent words in my ear again, my dear."
    "Maillard reaction"
    "Ooh.")

And yeah, drown that carcass in some A1. Or other assortments of BBQ/Grill sauces. And, if the budget allows, perhaps some maple bacon aioli.

My dreams are of being a wolf, lying asleep on top of a mountain, dreaming of oceans of A1 through which cows and deer swam like fish. :-)

Forever Running, RunningRed