Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheila in GLOW

Default Sheila in GLOW

So I've been watching GLOW, a show on Netflix. It's about a women's wrestling show in the 80s. Not my usual cup of tea, but someone recommended it and I didn't have anything else on deck, so I gave it a try.

I've been really pleasantly surprised to see a therian character, Sheila, on the show! Some spoilers for the show below:

No one ever actually uses the word "therian" for her, but in a moment of vulnerability, she explains to another character, "I know I'm a human, physically... but spiritually, I'm a wolf."

At first I was kind of worried her character would be played too hard for laughs, but the show's writing is surprisingly empathetic to her. Yeah, there are some goofs - she talks about her "keen sense of smell" and liking competition because it "thins out the herd." There are a few awkward moments where people assume that her wolf-ness is just her wrestling persona in a way that she is clearly uncomfortable with. But for the most part, her story is one of a social outcast who finds a group of friends in the cast of this wrestling show, who accept her for who she is.
    At one point, the show's main character relates to her by saying that she dressed every day as a character from a book after a traumatic point in her life, and acknowledges, "It's a similar feeling." (I was impressed that the nuance of "similar" and not "same" was present.)

There's a really touching moment where the group takes Sheila out to celebrate her birthday, and they all howl with her. They also put her age in "wolf years" on her birthday cake (they even specify that it's different than dog years! cute). It's definitely a little silly at times, but it makes me really happy to see a "Weirdo Animal Person" portrayed in media as someone worthy of support, kindness, and empathy, with their view of themselves taken seriously by those around them.

I couldn't get passed the first episode, but I tried it specifically because of Sheila and her being a wolf. The 80's stuff and the characters seemed alright, but all the sex stuff isn't for me.

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 36 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

Could someone on the writing staff know about therianthropy or is a therian themselves.? I haven't watch the show but now I think I should just to see for myself. Hey Yourdeer. Your mean this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6VmC7QL6yA
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; July 12th, 2018 at 07:00 PM.

Thanks for linking the interview, Hige! I hadn't seen that before.
    It's cool to know that the actor did research about what's it's like to live as someone who's a wolf.

I'm sure someone on the staff must have come across therianthropy at some point in their travels, whether or not they are one themselves, considering that they informed the actor about it.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdeer View Post
    Thanks for linking the interview, Hige! I hadn't seen that before.
    It's cool to know that the actor did research about what's it's like to live as someone who's a wolf.

I'm sure someone on the staff must have come across therianthropy at some point in their travels, whether or not they are one themselves, considering that they informed the actor about it.
    Your Welcome. I'm glad to see a non-therian having such a positive outlook on therianthropy and species dysphoria and that she takes it some what seriously. I wish more people where like that.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; July 13th, 2018 at 09:27 AM.

Blog Entries

I understand they just put up Season 2.
    I actually started watching because someone on this forum (was probably hotdog) recommended it. I'm not a fan of wrestling, but I found the characters and story arc engaging.
    And yeah, there's a therian character who's played respectfully!

Quote Originally Posted by yourdeer View Post
    So I've been watching GLOW, a show on Netflix. It's about a women's wrestling show in the 80s. Not my usual cup of tea, but someone recommended it and I didn't have anything else on deck, so I gave it a try.

I've been really pleasantly surprised to see a therian character, Sheila, on the show! Some spoilers for the show below:

No one ever actually uses the word "therian" for her, but in a moment of vulnerability, she explains to another character, "I know I'm a human, physically... but spiritually, I'm a wolf."

At first I was kind of worried her character would be played too hard for laughs, but the show's writing is surprisingly empathetic to her. Yeah, there are some goofs - she talks about her "keen sense of smell" and liking competition because it "thins out the herd." There are a few awkward moments where people assume that her wolf-ness is just her wrestling persona in a way that she is clearly uncomfortable with. But for the most part, her story is one of a social outcast who finds a group of friends in the cast of this wrestling show, who accept her for who she is.
    At one point, the show's main character relates to her by saying that she dressed every day as a character from a book after a traumatic point in her life, and acknowledges, "It's a similar feeling." (I was impressed that the nuance of "similar" and not "same" was present.)

There's a really touching moment where the group takes Sheila out to celebrate her birthday, and they all howl with her. They also put her age in "wolf years" on her birthday cake (they even specify that it's different than dog years! cute). It's definitely a little silly at times, but it makes me really happy to see a "Weirdo Animal Person" portrayed in media as someone worthy of support, kindness, and empathy, with their view of themselves taken seriously by those around them.

Forever Running, RunningRed

Blog Entries

If it helps, I think the sex in the first episode was just an enticement to get people into the show. If it helps, it's rather toned down a lot in the rest of the season, focusing more on the fallout of that act.

Quote Originally Posted by elinox View Post
    I couldn't get passed the first episode, but I tried it specifically because of Sheila and her being a wolf. The 80's stuff and the characters seemed alright, but all the sex stuff isn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RunningRed View Post
    I understand they just put up Season 2.
    I actually started watching because someone on this forum (was probably hotdog) recommended it. I'm not a fan of wrestling, but I found the characters and story arc engaging.
    And yeah, there's a therian character who's played respectfully!
    Not this time pal. I didn't recommend anything. Yourdeer who posted about the show. Also, I been looking up to see if the wolf girl character in the show is based on a real person and I can't find anything.? Does anything know if she is just some made up person for the show or is there a real person behind this.?
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; July 16th, 2018 at 02:26 PM.

Blog Entries

That's really wild! You've definitely piqued my interest. Sounds like a fairly sweet and positive depiction.

Also I have a small weak spot for pro wrestling... my brother was really into it when we were kids, so I was exposed to a lot of the 90s WWF stuff with HULK HOGAN and MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE (yeaaaah, brother!). As an adult, I've only caught little bits and pieces of what's going on. But pro wrestling absolutely cracks me up, it's so over-the-top wacky. Part comic book, part soap opera, part circus, pure spectacle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    Not this time pal. I didn't recommend anything. Yourdeer who posted about the show. Also, I been looking up to see if the wolf girl character in the show is based on a real person and I can't find anything.? Does anything know if she is just some made up person for the show or is there a real person behind this.?
    That is an excellent question, and one I had not considered before. Was Sheila based on someone, if so whom. If not, who on the show decided to make her character that way?