Thread: Nøkken + The Grim - Otherkin/Therian-Themed Band (Official)

Default Nøkken + The Grim - Otherkin/Therian-Themed Band (Official)

Hey y'all, I just created this thread to keep stuff up-to-date on my Otherkin/Therian-themed music group, Nøkken + The Grim. I also have a thread on TW. If you haven't seen me around very much lately, I've almost only been participating in very minor ways on Facebook groups. The reason why is that I've been working hard on our release of our debut album "Treason to Our Nature".

We just released the album for pre-order:

nokkenandthegrim.bandcamp.com/album/treason-to-our-nature

The track "Wetware Outmoded" is available for streaming. If you pre-order, you can download it now. The album will be released in full on Sept. 29. At that time, the full album will be available to everyone, and those who pre-ordered will receive it for free.

I incorporate my identity as a therianthrope as well as my experiences shifting into my performances. The group is based on the idea of three shapeshifting spirits of nature who have come out of the woodwork in modern times to make music to call back humanity to Mother Nature. This is set against the idea that human civilization is at war with nature and is consuming the land through technology and environmental degradation.

Each of us plays a spirit from Scandinavian and Eastern European folklore. I am my user name's namesake of course, Nøkken, who, in Norwegian mythology was a water spirit that would assume the form of a horse or a violinist and lure human beings to drown in the river with entrancing music. My friend Karli plays Ajatar who is a Finnish dragonness and witch who is similar to the Tiamat myth, a primordial force of creation, but also a bringer of death, who could assume the form of a woman. My partner Stephen plays Peryton, The Black Stag, who is The White Stage of Hungarian myth. His backstory is that soot and pollution from modern industry has turned his once white hide black. And he adopts the name Peryton for the mythical feathered stags of Borges' literature that would consume the flesh of human beings.

There is a lot of Norse and Magyar spirituality and themes of nature worship in our music. I wear a horse mask and my mane and tail are real horse hide, which was made by Lupa Greenwolf (author of "A Field Guide to Otherkin").

I'll drop some links below to our social media:

Nøkken + The Grim homepage: nokken.band
    Facebook (most used): www.facebook.com/NokkenViolin
    Instagram (most used): www.instagram.com/nokkenandthegrim/
    Twitter (rarely used): twitter.com/NokkenTheGrim
    Soundcloud (for live recordings): soundcloud.com/nokkenviolin
    Youtube (live and music videos): www.youtube.com/channel/UC38KaFgWK-30IGYgd7AxuWA
    Bandcamp (for album releases): nokkenandthegrim.bandcamp.com/

Cool. Thank you. I always thought that the community could use its own music. As well a Band of our own. I will look up your music.

Blog Entries

Great to see more content from you! Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisota View Post
    Great to see more content from you! Love it.
    Thanks Kisota!! I hope to be doing a lot more stuff and finally getting around to releasing more of the book I've been working on. Also, we're creating our next album too!

Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    Cool. Thank you. I always thought that the community could use its own music. As well a Band of our own. I will look up your music.
    Yee! I've always thought about the good that art and music can do for bringing people together. Another reason why I thought of starting this is because I can't avoid being who and what I am. It was a struggle to accept myself for a long time. Given the fact that art and music gives us some critical distance and the fact that people kind of expect artists to be weird, I saw it as an opportunity to be more open and to put my own self into it. I really hope that, in the end, it ends up connecting those with other-than-human identities to outside communities sympathetic with our ideas and experiences. I'd be happy if it could give one person solace when they are feeling desolate or perhaps having a bad bout of dysphoria.

Quote Originally Posted by Nøkken_The_Horse View Post
    Yee! I've always thought about the good that art and music can do for bringing people together. Another reason why I thought of starting this is because I can't avoid being who and what I am. It was a struggle to accept myself for a long time. Given the fact that art and music gives us some critical distance and the fact that people kind of expect artists to be weird, I saw it as an opportunity to be more open and to put my own self into it. I really hope that, in the end, it ends up connecting those with other-than-human identities to outside communities sympathetic with our ideas and experiences. I'd be happy if it could give one person solace when they are feeling desolate or perhaps having a bad bout of dysphoria.
    That is what our community needs. Us helping each other out. Each in our own little way. For me, Its listening to a fellow therians problems. For you, It giving us art and music that we can connect to and to our therianthropy/otherkin/furry ways. I am sure that if we get the word out and even through music that non-therians will not see us as weird but just as people who share in a unique experience. Also Nokken, You can not stop being a therian, Just like we can not stop being human. We are what we are. Be a proud horse therian. see you around buddy.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; September 23rd, 2018 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    That is what our community needs. Us helping each other out. Each in our own little way. For me, Its listening to a fellow therians problems. For you, It giving us art and music that we can connect to and to our therianthropy/otherkin/furry ways. I am sure that if we get the word out and even through music that non-therians will not see us as weird but just as people who share in a unique experience. Also Nokken, You can not stop being a therian, Just like we can not stop being human. We are what we are. Be a proud horse therian. see you around buddy.
    You too! Hopefully efforts to create and build something help people learn to cooperate more and cultivate understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Nøkken_The_Horse View Post
    You too! Hopefully efforts to create and build something help people learn to cooperate more and cultivate understanding.
    Thank you and if you ever need to talk about you therianthropy, I will be here. I am almost always on here. Or you could always send me a message. Question, Do you post your music on youtube.?