PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity therians

Clawz
October 19th, 2008, 02:38 PM
This is just an interesting topic I would like to bring up.I'm sure I'm the not the only one who's had this cross there mind, but has anyone else ever thought or suspected any celebrities being therian or even some kind of otherkin? I have thought of maybe...mmm....2. The first one would have to be "The grizzly man" you know the guy who studied bears and gets killed by one? Well yes he is someone who comes to my mind. One of my main reasons for saying this is in one of his videos he references to not being human spiritually. I believe he did anyway. Another person that my friend brought up that could possibly be therian is Elen degenerets(Excuse my bad spelling). I cant think of any specific reason for her but something about her just seems....different I guess you could say.

So with that being said is there any famous(or at least well known people) people who you have had any suspitions about?

Seraphyna
October 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM
There's a wolf man too...he hasn't been mauled to death yet though. I also suspect that the people with full body tattoos turning them into a cheetah, snake, and tiger have some therian thing going on.

SerpentineZebra
October 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Only one I can possibly think of (at the moment) is Steve Irwin (RIP). Would elaborate but I'm in a hurry.

Conan
October 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Ellen DeGeneres is the spelling, I believe. I'm curious as to why you suspect her of being therian, though.

Otherwise, for me, Shaun Ellis, "The Wolf Man", I guess, is a person who comes to mind. Although I think that's more of an interest and fascination about wolves than something spiritual.

Clawz
October 19th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Yah Thats right Shaun Ellis was another one, and that tiger guy who is on tv all the time. You know shows like ripleys belive it or not.

Well I myself cant really specify on Ellen comsidering it was a firend of mine who mentiond her. She for some reason seems to just have something to her I guess. It could just be that she makes my friend think of a rabbit. I truelly dont know, i'm going to bring it up to her though. But it wouldnt supprise me if she was.

wolffriend
October 19th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Shaun Ellis is the only one that I could think of that has shown evidence of therianthropy in his interviews. Some of these other people I would just say like animals a lot. I haven't seen anything (including the Grizzly Man) that would suggest therianthropy to me.

Ice Blitz
October 19th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Shaun Ellis is the only one that I could think of that has shown evidence of therianthropy in his interviews. Some of these other people I would just say like animals a lot. I haven't seen anything (including the Grizzly Man) that would suggest therianthropy to me.

I couldn't agree more.

And for some reason, Steve Irwin just doesn't say 'therian' to me. He loved all animals, though crocs were his favorite. I can see Steve liking these animals, but never really acting like them. Not like therians do.

WolfVanZandt
October 19th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Ellen, maybe.

Not the Grizzly Man - he didn't identify with bears, he idealized them. He tried to pet them. Anybody who really understood bears would never have treated them the way he did. Erwin didn't strike me as Therian either.

I very strongly suspect that Sir Anthony Hopkins is Therian. I would almost bet that the woman who played the naturalist on the Dhole episode of The X-File is Therian.

There used to be a guy who played a photographer on the Lou Grant Show who I'd swear was a Therian. It was the graceful sweeping way he walked, I think.

Sting is a possibility.

SerpentineZebra
October 19th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I don't pay attention to celebrities anymore, so I probably couldn't name any that seem therian, hell I don't even know what to look for as I only know one therian well in real life (my boyfriend, who intro'd me to this site). I didn't realize that therianthropy was something that could show outward signs (I didn't DOUBT the possibility, I just didn't think about it), but then again I'm bad at picking up subtleties in behavior and wouldn't know what to possibly associate with being an animal inside. I guess I'm just one of those folks that accepts little quirks as just part of their whole personality (no insinuation intended).

Just asking, what traits are you all looking for in deciding if you think a certain celebrity is therian/otherkin?

Savage
October 20th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I will verify that several (minor) therian celebrities do exist to my direct personal knowledge. One was briefly involved in the community, but stopped due to privacy concerns.

Obviously I respect their privacy concerns and that is the absolute end of any information that will come from me on the subject. But yes, there are some.

South Munjoy
October 20th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I will verify that several (minor) therian celebrities do exist to my direct personal knowledge. One was briefly involved in the community, but stopped due to privacy concerns.

Obviously I respect their privacy concerns and that is the absolute end of any information that will come from me on the subject. But yes, there are some.

It would seem to me that 'Therian Celebrities' wouldn't be your typical Hollywierd type, but would be far removed from the bullshit that goes on there, and thus somewhat out of the limelight. At the same time, who would really want to come forwards with it, and have lurid stories of their therianism plastered all over shitrags and trash TV like The National Enquirer, The Star, Entertainment Tonight, and the like.

OTOH, I've known people who are quite famous, and a lot of the attention that they recieve for 'being famous' really isn't something that they look forwards to, or even like. At the same time, the American penchant for celebrity worship is a really annoying, sometimes alarming low brow thing, on the order of British Royalty spotting, so asking a question about famous people who may be therian is a thing that may be a bit uncalled for.

StarRhythm
October 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure why asking a question about them would be uncalled for. No one's stalking any celebrities here and beating info out of them. It seems like something amusing to think about for a bit, then move on (which I'm sure will happen).

As for the topic, I can't really think of any. I think by nature it'd be hard to tell with actors, though. :3 Hehe.

Space Lizard
October 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I don't think there'd be any, really. :P Plus, I don't like speculating about celebrities. My god, the debate about whether or not seemingly every historical author was gay or not seems to have ruined things like that for me. XD

Angel
October 20th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I've never cared for celebrities, but I always felt Shaun Ellis was wolf in spirit.

Chaos Sondu
October 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I very strongly suspect that Sir Anthony Hopkins is Therian. I would almost bet that the woman who played the naturalist on the Dhole episode of The X-File is Therian.
I don't know about the actress who played her, but the character just screamed "therian".

I remember a thread on one of the old, old incarnations of the Werelist in which a few people were speculating whether or not Daniel Radcliffe was a therian.

Raziel
October 20th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I also have thought that Ellen Degeneres seemed Therian-like. When I see her I automatically think FERRET! I don't know what exactly it is but ferret is what I think of when I see her. I can also see Sir Anthony Hopkins as a therian, he strikes me as a bear of some kind. again not exactly sure what it is about him.

Ice Blitz
October 20th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I very strongly suspect that Sir Anthony Hopkins is Therian.

???

Really? I'm a huge fan of Hopkins, and he's never given me the impression of being a therian. But then again, I haven't met that many therians in real life, so maybe my therian-dar is be broken. ^^

WolfVanZandt
October 21st, 2008, 12:01 AM
SerpentineZebra, I don't know if I really want to clearly understand what I see in others that makes me think they're Therian. I prefer to keep it on an intuition level. It's sorta like the millipede that started wondering which leg he put forward first until he couldn't walk at all. If you start analyzing intuition too much, you lose it.

That said, Hopkins seems to have that hypervigilance that I recognize in most of the Therians I know in real life. He seems to be always connected to his surroundings. It looks as though his body is confident in that it knows where everything is and how to deal with it. The way he walks and carries himself just seems to say "Therian" to me.

Savage
October 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure why asking a question about them would be uncalled for. No one's stalking any celebrities here and beating info out of them.

Because it's their personal business. You can speculate idly about public figures whom you do not know, and that does no harm, but I want to ask people to be very, very careful about "outing" people as therian or speculating about who's who on Werelist or other therianthropy sites. If you think you recognize someone who talks about their therianthropy here based on personal knowledge or having seen something they wrote on another site under a different name, you will be suspended and very possibly banned if you "out" them with your idle speculation. That is a horrible and potentially very harmful invasion of privacy. Don't do it. Don't even come close to doing it.

As a for-instance, I ran into someone's professional blog where they talked about some unique events that had also been discussed on a therianthropy blog under a different name. A minimal amount of thought later, connecting the dots to the real life professional identity of this therian was pretty obvious, and the profession is such that it would definitely be potentially harmful for this information to come out on the Internet. So what do you do if you run across "evidence" like this? Your choices, at least on Werelist, are "nothing" and "contact the person privately to warn them". Posting speculations and links could do real life serious harm to someone's life, job or family situation.

In fact it's one of the very few things I would actually ban someone from this site for even if they did it outside of Werelist. People who out other people are really not safe to have in the community. This is something we take very, very seriously here on Werelist, so please take a moment to think about the safety and privacy of anyone you are speculating about.

Granted, there is a large amount of stupid involved in posting enough information about yourself and your life that people can cross-reference and figure out that "DarkFang" the therian werewolf is also John Smith the elementary school math teacher. But anyone who likes to blog can slip, and the Internet is a large and random place, so please be careful and protective of your fellow therians if you do run across their mundane identities.

StarRhythm
October 21st, 2008, 02:53 PM
I never planned on outing anyone. I don't have time to dig into everyone's business. That having a life thing, it takes up time. XD

I get it, though. I know famous people have enough people in their faces out in the real world, and people gossiping about them all over the internet anyway. I'm sure they don't need therian stalkers, too. Personally I wouldn't be on here if I happened to be famous.

WolfVanZandt
October 21st, 2008, 11:16 PM
You're probably right. Mr. Hopkins will probably start getting letters now speculating on his therianthropy and he'll be, like, "What's a therianthropy?"

Clawz
October 22nd, 2008, 07:37 PM
I also have thought that Ellen Degeneres seemed Therian-like. When I see her I automatically think FERRET! I don't know what exactly it is but ferret is what I think of when I see her. I can also see Sir Anthony Hopkins as a therian, he strikes me as a bear of some kind. again not exactly sure what it is about him.

Yah my friend and I have thought an animal like ferret or rabbit for Ellen too.Anthony Hopkins I really dont know much about him so I wouldnt know. Actually what are some of his writings?

SerpentineZebra
October 22nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Sir Anthony Hopkins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Anthony_Hopkins)

Good old Hannibal Lecter xD apparently he's dyslexic too, so if WVZ's theory about therians having higher counts of dyslexic individuals holds...

...I won't speculate further. I'm about the last person anyone should ask about celebrities (especially actors). Musicians are my stronger suit...but don't ask me about them either. I have intuition that either sucks or is frighteningly accurate, and in this case, it probably sucks xD

Clawz
October 22nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Haha wow that was stupid on my part, I knew he was an actor not a writer. I need to get more sleep lol.

Oh and as far as the issue with invading the privacy of anyone or speculating about celebrities being therians, I agree with savage completely. this though is just for fun, I'm not doing it so that anyone gets outed or pesterd. If I were outright saying so and so is a therian and I have proof, then yes that would be wrong.

SerpentineZebra
October 22nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
I think it's kind of fun to imagine what kind of therioside some celeb might have, jsut from their personality or something. Just for the hell of it.

Of course, I'm an anthro artist and a non-community-oriented furry along with being therian, so I find myself trying to attribute a human to a non-human animal, to occupy my imagination.

WolfVanZandt
October 23rd, 2008, 12:45 AM
Well, I think he has written some, too. I know that he's an accomplished painter, pianist, and composer.

Clawz
October 23rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Sounds like my kind of guy ;)

Raziel
October 23rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
He actually wrote a screenplay/movie called Slipstream, but I thought it kinda sucked actually. Other than that one movie I have REALLY like the guy.

en_causa_sui
October 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Sir Anthony Hopkins is and always will be one of my favorite actors. The amazing job that he did portraying Hannibal Lector honestly stunned me. Very few actors do that. His fantastic performance in those movies actually spurred me on to become a better one myself.

I don't really have therian/gay/anything-dar. It's hard for me to type someone without actually knowing them on a personal level. I can guess things based on their energy if I see them in person but anything more specific than that, I'm hopeless. lol

EDIT: Also I stand with what Savage says about not talking about people. Regardless of who they are, they still have a right to get at least a little respect. No matter how fun or entertaining it is to speculate, be courtious and don't put it on the internet, for gods sakes. That and it isn't hard AT ALL to put 2 and 2 together on the internet.

TherianthroeAndrewH
December 19th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I'd say Kelley Armstrong, the author of Bitten, Stolen & so on.
Though these books are about werewolves there is an odd feeling of reality in the way she rights. As if she is righting from personal experience. When reading these books I don't think werewolf, I think Therian.
Plus I think I've seen one interview with her on YouTube. She seemed rather removed, like she wasn't all that comfortable.

Prowl
December 19th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Something else to consider is that it might be possible for someone who is NOT famous to post here, being rather free with their personal identity, and later becoming famous. Considering that these boards are open to one and all (within the guidelines of course), such disclosure of personal information really is probably not a good idea.

Certainly, after becoming friends with someone here, one might reasonably share their name with a person. We must all make decisions about such things... but sharing a name in private is not at all the same thing as sharing one's identity with everyone on a public site.

Lot
December 19th, 2009, 10:36 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth.

lycanthropictendencies
January 2nd, 2010, 12:55 PM
The only person I can agree with about is Sean Ellis. Having seen his work and a couple of interviews I definitely think he may have therian issues.

I used to stay in that town with my parents every summer, never knew about the wolf colony though. When I was there all they had was gardens and some monkeys.

I do strongly suspect that some authors may have a therian side, but would prefer not to name them, just in case it's true and it would affect them in real life.

Eissenvarg
January 2nd, 2010, 01:49 PM
a couple of metal people i can think of... Chaos wolf (no idea of real name) who has the same sort of lycanthropic gnostic ideas as me, Lauri Pentilla has a werewolf fixation in his lyrics, which seems to be some kind of pagan-nationalist metaphor, and Moon Lighting Hell seem to have a very therian thing going on

Not Z
January 11th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Never really thought about most celebrities. But many independent artists and some famous artists kind of scream therian in a way.

Look at Schim Schimmel's work for example, the passion they put into their art kind of makes it hard to believe that they don't feel connected to animals at least in some level. Not really a 'celebrity' to most and not really 100% sure if therian or not, but always felt there is something about his art.

Then there is also the factors that most would not publicly admit they feel any connection to what they draw, but that they just 'like' drawing it (this is a very common excuse when making a public statement about one's own work), and that some celebrities (not just artists) could be very good at masking themselves so we can't tell what they are just by seeing and hearing them on a screen; they expect and practice acting while being filmed, afterall.

frostdraco
January 12th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I was the one who posted this before, Savage, she shut me down; but I do agree with her, it is their business, I recieve scrunity just for liking wolves less known therianthropy. I wonder what the evangelist think of us?

Dimitri
January 12th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Jeremy Irons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Irons
He strikes me as a large cat either lion or tiger and not just because He was Scar in The lion king lol.

Eissenvarg
January 12th, 2010, 03:34 AM
What about the guy from "into the wild?" I know he's not exactly a celebrity, and i don't thing he identified as a therian, but running off into the alaskan woods to survive on his own seems to imply some anti, or atl least inhuman-ness

Dimitri
January 12th, 2010, 03:37 PM
http://www.dac-editions.com/xMJackson.htm

I don't know if MJ was a dragon but this book is awesome

Seraphyna
August 1st, 2010, 08:39 AM
I just had a bizarre dream wherein Adam Lambert was a swimming kangaroo therian...lol. Yeah, I doubt it, but I just had to put that out there.

Agita
August 1st, 2010, 09:47 AM
Just remember therianthropy is more than just having a passion for animals you know. However after reading Sean Ellis' book, the instances where he describes feeling genuinely perplexed by the ways of humans sometimes has swayed my opinion. But social anxiety and feelings of alienation are common traits of alot of things like ASDs for example. He identifies well /with/ wolves and understands them but it doesn't necessarily mean he identifies /as/ a wolf or shifts or anything. However after spending months living with wolves deprived of human contact, he may have conditioned himself to continue automatically exhibiting animalistic behaviours even in a context where he doesn't have to anymore (ie. not living with a wolf pack where communication errors=death, ultimately)

I don't know, when he's around wolves he seems to be really into his interactions, not just going through the motions. If he does shift, like have phantom shifts or something as well as mental, I don't think he's likely to admit it as alot of experts sill for whatever reason don't take him seriously as it is. You know what, he probably is a therian, but has to retain some form of credibility by not running around like a beastman in the human world.

Moonlight Hunter
August 1st, 2010, 10:56 AM
I imagine that an author would be more likely to understand what therianthropy even is than would a TV or other type of celebrity. This only because authors tend to do a lot of research when writing, and thus they are more likely to have run across the community on the internet.

That being said, I suspect that most therian celebrities probably do not realize that they are therian. First because they may not know what therianthropy is, and secondly because they are already living lives that don't match up with what the majority of humans live. Therefore, they address feelings of not fitting in in their own ways, and they may not scrutinize every unusual aspect of themselves to the degree that therianthropy would be their ultimate conclusion.

Once they do realize they are therian, they almost certainly would keep it private because too much scrutinization on that point could damage their credibility. That is a big deal in the professional world and in the world of celebrities, in which image is everything.

But eventually, there will be a therian celebrity come along who will be open about it. That may very well be the thing that causes therianthropy to be learned about and known about by a wide audience. We can only hope, when that happens, that whomever it is who comes "out" as a therian is a good spokesperson for it - because that is exactly what he or she will become.

I don't think that Timothy Treadwell was a therian, either. However, if he had known what therianthropy was, I have absolutely no doubt that he would have identified himself as one. He probably would have openly identified himself as one and capitalized on it for all it was worth (I think he did tell people that he was a bear inside), so thank goodness he didn't. I don't think he'd have made a good case that therians can be reasonable, level-headed, down to earth people. He had so many problems with park rangers and people who were experts on bears that he'd have made a mockery of the entire community if he had ever claimed therianthropy for himself.

And, even though I don't believe he was a therian, I think his demise can teach a valuable lesson - just cause you feel like an animal inside doesn't mean you can treat dangerous animals like bears or cougars like they're your bosom buddies. They should be treated with respect, period. And I mean, geez, even bears don't randomly approach other bears with impunity. He should have, at the very least, taken a lesson from the bears he loved about how they treated each other.

Eissenvarg
August 1st, 2010, 11:12 AM
They're probably too under ground to be considered celebrity, but there's a French band, Alcest, whose singer could well be otherkin going from interviews. I can't remember his name, but his lyrics are based on "flashbacks" to a life in a fairyland-type world.

Whitefang
August 2nd, 2010, 05:45 AM
Shaun Ellis is the one. I've read his book that intrigues me. From his style of thought etc. I would have to agree here.

Near the end he mentions how he gains this urge to stay and not go back to human lifestyle. If he's not therian then is this proof "normal" humans can build up mental shifts too?

Ushuaia
April 23rd, 2012, 11:48 AM
My thoughts on this subject are to two fold.

Are there celebrity therians?

The answer to this this is yes there are. There are enough celebrities out there that one of them is bound to be a therian.

Is so and so a therian?

We should not be engaging in this subject. It is not for us to theorize on whether or not a person is this or that. It is the same on speculating whether someone is gay or not. If a person has not openly acknowledged it on their own then the only thing this can do is to cause grief. Lets say the enquirer is looking for a story on Sir. Anthony Hopkins. They do a name search and find his name mentioned in this forum. They reference this forum in their article and attempt to out him as a therian. Now whether or not he is a therian is irrelevant at that point. He will be forever labeled as one. We should not be responsible for outing a person even if we suspect or have evidence to support it.

I do not see how this is any different than if I was to start a post: Is John Smith who works at 1234 anywhere street in my state USA was a therian. I am referencing a very specific person. Anyone who wants to could do a name search and find him. People who are not therian or who want to hate on therians could use the information on this site to harass him. Just because someone has done notable things in their life does not give anyone the right to stalk them, smear their name, harass them, or anything along those lines. I never understood why people are so obsessed with the celebrity. They are just like everyone else, except they have been given a opportunity to do something that got them noticed. That does not mean that they want to be hounded or want to be famous.

I know I am new but I would still urge the site moderators to stop this thread and update the rules so that these types of threads cannot be discussed. Nothing good can come of this and it would only ruin someones life if it was ever found by non-therians.

Nine
April 23rd, 2012, 12:19 PM
When I first saw the title to this thread I thought "OH, famous Therians" (like Jakkal, Goldenwolf, etc).

However, my dad was a screenwriter and actor. He wrote quite a few screenplays, and I know of two that were made into movies (back in the 80s). In one of them he was involved immensely; he wrote it, directed and also played a major part on film. The other one, he did less screen time (I don't recall him on screen at all, actually) but wrote and helped produce it.

He was also openly therian. :D does that count?

(I apologize for releasing no names, due to privacy I cannot)

Savage
April 23rd, 2012, 11:08 PM
I know I am new but I would still urge the site moderators to stop this thread and update the rules so that these types of threads cannot be discussed. Nothing good can come of this and it would only ruin someones life if it was ever found by non-therians.

Absolutely no harm is done by speculating about celebrities.

If you *personally* know someone and "out" them, that isn't cool. But if you do not know a celebrity and have never met them, speculating whatever you can imagine is not going to be damaging to them. No one has any reasonable evidence to believe what some random person who doesn't even know them is speculating, so it's harmless.

I could speculate, what if President Obama was really a secret alien reptiloid being from Planet X. In fact, there's some Internet nutball who has done exactly that. Nobody with half an ounce of sense is going to view this as anything but random silliness, so it doesn't actually damage his reputation.

cheetah
April 24th, 2012, 05:04 PM
While I very much doubt Kathy Reiches is a therian, the characters in the latest books she's published go through struggles that are unnervingly close to some of the struggle therians go through.

MountainGhost
July 15th, 2012, 11:14 PM
I'm surprised no one has said Kevin Richardson on this thread. yeah, he could just REALLY like lions, but the bond he's built with those wild lions is absolutely remarkable, so who knows. maybe they see something in him.

Wolf-Bone
July 15th, 2012, 11:57 PM
I know it's old news, but c'mon, really? All the venomous, slanderous dirt celebrities get thrown at them by sites like TMZ, not to mention Old Media and even the sites spun off from it, and a couple people speculating whether or not there might be therian celebrities on a forum with less than 300 active users is really going to damage any reputations? Are you for real?!

Also, the "Obama is a reptilian shapeshifter working at the behest of the Illuminati" or whatever conspiracy theory actually doesn't bother me as much as the birthers. For one thing, the conspiracy dupes might have some serious mental problems or are otherwise incredibly misled, so I kinda have to feel sorry for them. And they don't have much of a real impact on things.

Birthers, on the other hand, do. And maybe some of them are insane, but I doubt it, because their only consistent claim is that Obama is indeed a human being, but one not born in the U.S who is also probably Muslim. And you can sincerely believe this despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, but probably only if you're racist to some extent. Or you don't sincerely believe it, like is most likely the case with Donald Trump, and are just using it to advance your own agenda in which case you are the worst kind of cynic, bar none.

Anyway, since we're just shooting the shit and going out on a limb, I'm going to say I think Shirley Maclaine might be (bonus points if u c wat i did thar)

Somnia
July 16th, 2012, 12:12 AM
I don't know why I've never seen this thread before but I have to agree with WolfBone about how speculating if a celebrity is Therian or not is not going to damage their reputation. There are tons of magazines that stir up tons of controversy and a lot more ridiculous stuff than people speculating who may or may not be a Therian. Anyway, I really don't have any idea of celebrities that may be Therian.

werepanther
July 16th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I would think that the lizard person, the one that went into Ripleys is one. I don't see why you would go to the extent of splitting your tongue if not.

Peco
July 16th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I can speculate about a handful of people, but I honestly prefer not to. It's not my business and in the world of less-than-normal/more-than-normal psychic stuff that I half subscribe to, it's pretty personal and I would want them to keep their mouth shut about me if I were in their position. I have my hunches, some all but confirmed, but I think this kind of speculation is just harmful, because I've seen how... knee jerk some Therians/Otherkin can be around each other.
I might be new but I've dug/read enough to see the nastier sides of this entire community.

Anyway, my two cents.

-Peco

Sephiroth-ac
July 16th, 2012, 09:20 PM
My mother was watching the Graham Norton show a while back and they had a relative of mine on there, KD Lang. She mentioned that she had this affinity with crows... Perhaps a crow therian?

jiro
July 18th, 2012, 01:45 PM
For some reason i've always thought Shakira seemed like a wolf therian. xD
It sounds stupid I know but in her video 'She Wolf' she mentions Lycanthropy which is described on Wikipedia as: "The word lycanthropy is sometimes used generically for any transformation of a human into animal form, though the precise term for that is technically "therianthropy"." She also looked quite wolfish to me...

rubi
July 19th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Hayao Miyazaki draws himself as a pig and based the character of Porco Rosso on himself. So he's a furry at least, possibly therian/otherkin. A lot of his movies have characters with strong connections to animals as well (Nausicaa and the Ohm, San and the wolves).

Talos
July 19th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I don't think many have heard, let alone care for there to be anything big here, a lot of people like animals and celebreties are just people so it's obvious some of them are going to like animals, you could say the Queen is a therian because she likes corgis (I'm assuming but I doubt we she would own so many if she didn't) but I doubt she is a therian. It seems like a lot of looking for what isn't there.

Draconic
July 19th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Hayao Miyazaki draws himself as a pig and based the character of Porco Rosso on himself. So he's a furry at least, possibly therian/otherkin. A lot of his movies have characters with strong connections to animals as well (Nausicaa and the Ohm, San and the wolves).

Since when did drawing one's self as an animal or even making a personal OC make one a furry? I have a personal character that I represent myself with, but that does not make me a furry, because I don't identify as such, neither am I a fan of the fandom.

Wolf-Bone
July 19th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I really hate the idea of stuff featuring anthros being marginalized on the basis it might have anything to do with furries, and I sorta am one. So, yeah, please, labeling so and so or such and such as "furry" without much (or any) indication, no, not cool. Not cool at all. The Egyptians weren't furries. The Native Americans weren't furries. Walt Disney and Don Bluth, not furries. Why? Because they're not part of the furry fandom/subculture/lifestyle/whatever. It's not a hard distinction to make, people.

AziMWolf
September 21st, 2016, 10:51 AM
This is meant as a serious discussion.

We cannot be the only ones.
Now, I'm sure this has been asked before.

But I keep thinking, if we that are just "average Janes and Joes", there must be celebrities that are Therians too but do a very good job on keeping it hidden.

I speak of those always in the spotlight, actors and actresses, musicians, etc.

But with media knowing so much of these people's high profile lives. How would one in that case keep it from prying eyes?

Im sure they have fantastic control over their instincts and urges. But still....

It's a thought at least.

Lee

elinox
September 21st, 2016, 01:03 PM
This is meant as a serious discussion.

We cannot be the only ones.
Now, I'm sure this has been asked before.

But I keep thinking, if we that are just "average Janes and Joes", there must be celebrities that are Therians too but do a very good job on keeping it hidden.

I speak of those always in the spotlight, actors and actresses, musicians, etc.

But with media knowing so much of these people's high profile lives. How would one in that case keep it from prying eyes?

Im sure they have fantastic control over their instincts and urges. But still....

It's a thought at least.

Lee

Moved here Lee since there was an existing topic already. ;)

Wolfreak
November 21st, 2016, 10:32 PM
I'd say Kelley Armstrong, the author of Bitten, Stolen & so on.
Though these books are about werewolves there is an odd feeling of reality in the way she rights. As if she is righting from personal experience. When reading these books I don't think werewolf, I think Therian.
Plus I think I've seen one interview with her on YouTube. She seemed rather removed, like she wasn't all that comfortable.

Is it bad to out someone as not a therian? LOL!

Shortly after Bitten came out, I emailed Kelley Armstrong to ask if she knew of the community. She was intrigued, but she did not, and the conversation left me with no doubt that she wasn't a therian. I did get the impression she'd at least be friendly to the community.

AziMWolf
November 22nd, 2016, 07:10 PM
I don't look for Therians. In fact people are weird enough, as I can attest to this in real time being in a grocery store parking lot near Thanksgiving! So someone like us with non-human internal identities might act MORE off. Lol

So I would not approach them.

Lee

Wolfreak
November 23rd, 2016, 12:09 AM
I have to wonder just how damaging being a celebrity and being openly a therian could possibly be. Just look at all the celebrities who are Scientologists, and it hasn't hurt them. Mind you Scientologists have lawyers, so I imagine that's a big help when you are a crazy people.

It's probably only a matter of time before I let it slip at work. I find it more uncomfortable to hide it than to let people know. I realize this runs counter to what most people feel they have to do, and their experiences. I seem to do a good enough job explaining it that it has never caused me any problems telling people. I feel more comfortable around people that know. Even if they don't accept it, at least I no longer have that background worry of them somehow finding out in a way that I can't have some control over. I prefer outing myself then letting fate decide. Besides it's hard for someone to just cast you off as crazy when you're the one whom they've relied on to keep them from going out of business for the past year.

I guess I don't see my therianthropy as needing to be treated any differently than if it were a mental illness such as depression. We should be able to speak about both just as easily. The stigma surrounding mental illness is damaging, and I could see a day where there are prominent therians in society that aren't afraid to talk about their experiences. Maybe therianthropy isn't a mental illness, but I hope the analogy I am making is somewhat clear, even if you totally disagree with it. :)

AziMWolf
November 23rd, 2016, 01:39 AM
I have to wonder just how damaging being a celebrity and being openly a therian could possibly be. Just look at all the celebrities who are Scientologists, and it hasn't hurt them. Mind you Scientologists have lawyers, so I imagine that's a big help when you are a crazy people.

It's probably only a matter of time before I let it slip at work. I find it more uncomfortable to hide it than to let people know. I realize this runs counter to what most people feel they have to do, and their experiences. I seem to do a good enough job explaining it that it has never caused me any problems telling people. I feel more comfortable around people that know. Even if they don't accept it, at least I no longer have that background worry of them somehow finding out in a way that I can't have some control over. I prefer outing myself then letting fate decide. Besides it's hard for someone to just cast you off as crazy when you're the one whom they've relied on to keep them from going out of business for the past year.

I guess I don't see my therianthropy as needing to be treated any differently than if it were a mental illness such as depression. We should be able to speak about both just as easily. The stigma surrounding mental illness is damaging, and I could see a day where there are prominent therians in society that aren't afraid to talk about their experiences. Maybe therianthropy isn't a mental illness, but I hope the analogy I am making is somewhat clear, even if you totally disagree with it. :)

Your comparison to akin of a mental illness is valid. Most who I have told and feel differently to my revelation view it as a mental condition.

That's what most would see it as.

But I think if I were a celebrity I would always fear that camera or person behind every tree even more so to have a tabloid headline to top every other one. "star chases deer in woods" or something like that. In reality it adds much need scrutiny to one's life that we as non-celebrities do not need. Let alone one who is famous.

Lee