PDA

View Full Version : Dragonkin?

Rainstone
March 6th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Just wondering how many Dragonkin there are here.

MoonShadow
March 7th, 2009, 11:33 PM
There are a few...me being one of them ;P

Rainstone
March 8th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Yes! Does a happy dance.

Calicos
March 11th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I'd imagine that the number of dragonkin is a positive integer.

Oh yeah, and I'm dragony, too. ^_^

Savage
March 11th, 2009, 07:55 PM
So what is it like being a dragon? How would you characterize the draconic experience?

Prowl
March 11th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I'm very curious as well. If you can, please share what it's LIKE to be a dragon... I wonder if it's much the same for all of you, or if it's very distinctly different for most?

KarlyUnique
March 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Actually, I'm very curious, too. One of my totems/spirit guides (I'm not sure WHAT she is) is a Dragon, and I am interested in learning more about her species and how it is to be said creature.

Savage
March 11th, 2009, 08:26 PM
One of the interesting differences I've observed from my perspective is that as an animal therian, it would have been impossible for me (and everyone around me) not to have noticed at a very early age that I had an animalistic mind. I got better at hiding it as I got older, but the fact that there was a big cat's appetites, impulses and reflexes beneath a fairly flimsy imitative human mask was quite evident, sometimes shockingly so.

I imagine it's different with dragons, since they are (presumably) sentient and even intelligent. There is absolutely nothing intelligent or even sentient about the animal mind that is essentially "me". The human mind overlay on top is just that, an overlay, and I experience it as a sort of computer that I can access when I work at it. If I am tired, hungry, distracted or startled, I can't focus well enough to operate the complex levers of this "human suit" with a big cat's clumsy paws, and I progressively lose higher brain functions like the ability to speak articulately or understand spoken language. When I am very deeply shifted, there is really nobody home but an animal that is not very smart and that cannot think, reason, remember or plan for the future. It is a striking difference.

It's very rare that I would let myself shift that deeply, and I can generally hold it together long enough to get the food or rest or pain relief I need. But in a few situations where I have been in extremis, I am a dumb beast struggling to retain some semblance of human mind and memory, almost completely unable to speak or to understand more than one or two spoken words in a sentence. Given that I am a competent academic lecturer, the shift for me from human mind to animal mind is very clear and obvious.

I don't think a dragon's experience is likely to be the same as that of having a nonsentient animal "self", and I'm quite curious as to what it is like.

Rainstone
March 12th, 2009, 12:18 PM
You are right Savage. For me when I mental shift it's like having the curtains drawn back. I can see, feel, smell, and know things that I had no previous knowledge of exsistence. I can feel my wings and teeth all the time. Although I still have some animal instincts like food and defense. A kid back in my high school days learned the hard way of a dragon's instinct to defend itself. Though I tend to warn people before I go and defend myself. In a way I think dragons become the leaders of peace keeping, but if aggrivated then they are not above attacking. At least I'm not.

Rainstone
March 12th, 2009, 12:24 PM
But in a few situations where I have been in extremis, I am a dumb beast struggling to retain some semblance of human mind and memory, almost completely unable to speak or to understand more than one or two spoken words in a sentence.

I think that is just our human self reverting back to the basics. Although a human reverting like that is said to be animalistic in nature. I don't know and I don't think we will ever know.

Kumiho
March 12th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Though I'm not a dragon I can say that there are about 29 dragonkin known to be registered to this site, though I'm not sure how many of those 29 are active on here.

Savage
March 12th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I think that is just our human self reverting back to the basics. Although a human reverting like that is said to be animalistic in nature. I don't know and I don't think we will ever know.

That is a good and logical guess, but in my case there are aspects of my shifts that are really not congruent with any kind of primate or primitive hominid behavior.

Wiley
March 12th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I tend to warn people before I go and defend myself.
Where's the fun in that? Catch 'em off-guard.

Rainstone
March 12th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Ok then Savage as I said I don't know cause I'm not you. :P Catch people off guard? Well thats ok, but I have enough strength to warn people and delay my attacks. Plus it lets people know what they're getting into.

Loh
March 13th, 2009, 01:14 AM
*Raises paw* A possible draconian here. I'm still in the discovery stage on this, however.

My childhood was so deeply animalistic and unusual as a whole, it's difficult for me to try and pick out the pieces that may or may not have been related to being draconic.

Now, couple that with my strange sensory-animal-empathy, and I don't have much to go on when it comes to relying on phantom shifts. All I have are the occasional, oddly mixed feelings I've only recently linked to the possibility of draconity (thick neck, reptilian head, horns, long tail, wings, ect.). Of course, I've yet to figure out as to whether or not this draconic mental shift is just some sort of weird glitch, due to my unusual experiences with "empathy shifting", or if it is indeed a separate entity, possibly a core therio/kin type.

Wicthdragon
March 13th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I'm a dragon here Not sure how i would call my experience but all i can say is for me as a dragon and or me as whole' i always love learning and meeting new people and gaining as much information as i can in life.

And i always love to learn and practice magic as well' and work on my abilities and talents,.

Not sure if i am saying this right or any thing I'm saying is helpful but still.

Basically my experience is many things .

Seiryuu
March 13th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Though I tend to warn people before I go and defend myself. In a way I think dragons become the leaders of peace keeping, but if aggrivated then they are not above attacking. At least I'm not.

Ok then Savage as I said I don't know cause I'm not you. :P Catch people off guard? Well thats ok, but I have enough strength to warn people and delay my attacks. Plus it lets people know what they're getting into.

i have to agree with you Rainstone on these two accounts as a fellow dragonkin. i tend to lean more towards peace rather than trying to attack the person unless they have really annoyed me. i do offer them chance to leave an just avoid the conflict, but the only people to ever not back down were my brothers and they learned the hard way what happens when they choose not to listen to me :P

Savage
March 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Admin note: all claims and discussions about possessing magical abilities have been split off to a separate thread to avoid derailing this thread. Please remember that it is not acceptable on Werelist to make real world claims without being prepared to show real world proof. All beliefs, ideas and opinions are respected here; hard-fact statements or claims about physical events in the real world must be verifiable.

Please feel free to return to the discussion about dragonkin and the draconic experience.

CelticMagician
March 17th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Rainstone told me a while ago that dragons are gifted with 'infinate', or at least, more knowledge than what is considered 'average' than most other people, because dragons tend to know things that they initially shouldn't (Not his exact words, but the gernaral gist). I'm curious to see if other dragons on the werelist agree with this statement.

KarlyUnique
March 17th, 2009, 10:50 AM
That can happen to non Dragon kin, as well, and non kin in fact. Some people just have a higher psychism.

CelticMagician
March 17th, 2009, 11:05 AM
That can happen to non Dragon kin, as well, and non kin in fact. Some people just have a higher psychism.

I was figuring as much, and that was the reason why I was asking. Perhaps I should clarify in my previous post that I'm curious about wether or not other dragons 'agree' with the statement. My scincerest apologies.

KarlyUnique
March 17th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Oh I wasn't offended or anything, hon. No worries about that. I just felt that I needed to point that out to you just in case you were under the impression that only Dragon kin had high psychism. Some people believe that only one species does, whereas that is not true. There are plenty of other kin people that have high psychism (myself, my mother, and probably plenty others here on the List) and there are plenty of mainstreamers with high psychism as well (my grandmother for instance).
Anywho, I'll stop derailing the thread now.

DragonicWolf
March 17th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Ive always thought I was a dragonkin, although I am still trying to figure out what I truly am. I think I am one of those with more than one theriotype, though each one is separate and distinctive. But the dragon overwhelms the others.

The dragon part of me has always been there to comfort me when I was in high doubt about myself. My Dragon side is very controllable and predictable, unlike the other more primitive animal i am, which is most likely some kind of wild canine or feline. When I get sudden/uncontrollabe shifts, it is hardly ever my dragon side. And as for these so called "phantom limbs", they are always the dragons. I trust the dragon side of me.

The fact that I look at the world and everyone's philosophy rather than just survival and life itself might have something to do with being a dragonkin. The problem with being this dragon however is that sometimes I am so intertwined with my thoughts about the world is that I tend to hurt peoples feelings without realizing it. I also have this strange feeling that I was put here into this human body to observe humanity and its downsides, and not only to live my life and be over and done with it. It just feels like there is this strange reason behind these feelings of mine toward the world. I do not feel superior at all though, if that is what some people might ask. When I talk to people about things that highly interest me like philosphy, psychology and overall humanity and society, they often dont get me or lose interest quickly.

Issues with the attitude of people, get me very agitated. When I think someone has a kind of mindset I am against, i will try to change them. If not, then I will complain about it to myself and discuss it with friends, not that they care anyway. Also when it comes to confused people faking as kin or therian because they think it is 'fun' or 'cool' and think that it is so incredibly 'special and superior' makes me very angry.
Not sure if this has anything to do with being a Dragonkin, but its there as a side note in case other dragonkin are similar.

I used to be a member in the dragonkin community Draconic.com. But I dont really trust that place anymore, it lacks a lot of control and there are many roleplayers and such, and many make very rediculous claims. That is why I came here, because the community here seems alot more trustworthy and less "showoffy".

Raqui
March 17th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I've got a dragon connection of a sort, but I don't think I'm dragonkin. I would tell you all about it, but right now my brain is fuzzed from staring at the screen too long. Maybe later.

Rainstone
March 18th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I for one will, willingly admit that I do have a lot of knowledge but there are those who are more knowledgeable then myself.

Rainstone
March 18th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Draconic, I sometimes feel the same way except with the other theriotypes. Though sometimes I do like to brag a bit, but I never think to be superior to anyone. Sometimes I feel less then equal to some people.

Raqui
March 18th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Alright, I'm back with a more in depth answer. The image that I associate with dragons are a feeling of majesty and nobility. It's kind of like the prevailant image of a lion. A dragon is the embodiment of the forces of nature, like storms, fire, the ocean, etc. As far as how is to actually be a dragon, I think a lot of the time you would see other people as objects rather than people, unless you personally know them, but still taking their needs into consideration. You would tend to always expect the best of yourself and everyone around you, and probably get angry when people complain. And of course they're good strategizers and natural protectors. These are the things that make dragons good leaders. Most of the time though, dragons don't want to be kings because a good king is ruled by the people, and they would much rather be free and lets someone else take on the responsibility, if possible. They like people to notice when they come through, but they also want to be left alone at times, and kings can't always afford that. They're more the kind to watch carefully from a distance. They feel prideful sometimes, but are almost invariably wise enough to know their real place in the world and they very, very rarely act on arrogance, unless they're still young.

That's my take.

Savage
March 18th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I found something I liked on this subject posted on Otherkin Phenomena. The original thread is here (http://forum.otherkinphenomena.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=395#p5984), but you need an account to see it, so I'll crosspost this quote in the hopes it will encourage visitors there. I've been generally impressed with the quality of that site and their moderators.

"So how do you define a dragon?" I was asked.

"Uh, er. Um." I did not answer. I didnt even attempt to answer, and swung the conversation elsewhere until such time as I could answer. Thats actually a question no ones ever asked me before. Unbelievable, I know. When conversation headed back in that direction I still didnt have an answer, but now I do.

"A dragon," I would have said, "is large and awesome and encompassing, so large it fits into the spaces between things and often is not noticed at all. It is dangerous, and aggressive. It breaths fire. It eats people. But it does not do this all or most of the time; it dwells on the potential of courses of action and that is, usually, enough.

Dragons know the truth about things. They frighten people. They frighten people by knowing the truth about things, and by not caring. Or by saying the truth you didnt want to hear, speaking fire at you and burning away the old things. You aren't afraid the dragon will eat you; you're afraid the dragon will notice you, judge you, and find you unworthy of their time. You're afraid the dragon will notice you at all.

The dragon's afraid you'll notice them. Often they would prefer not to be notice or bothered, but left alone so they may observe things from afar. They study things with a detached interest, often reluctant to interfere. They study things and detach them from the value system in a way that can be upsetting, for they do not place more inherent importance in people in preference to crickets. They sometimes fail to view themselves in the larger picture through a desire to be apart and alone and left alone, to be the impassive observer, in the scene but not an active element most of teh time. Unless a catalyst strikes. Actions may seem capricious, but often spring without apprarent warning from a firm base of prolonged thought. They are old. Very old, but they dont care much about this. Its years, things pass and change, but mostly stay the same within patterns.

Dragons know who they are and are so comfortable in this that they may seem arrogant, when really, they just know who and what they are and don't feel a need to seek external confirmation and reinforcement. They often operate outside the standard and accepted parameters of things because theyve judged the system and don't find it useful. Unuseful things (and people) are not respected, no matter how potent. This is part of a values-free philosophy...or rather, the nod to the idea that one should probably value their values rather than getting them as hand-me-downs.

Dragons are their own system. They are thus on the whole neither good nor evil, helpful nor uncaring, friendly or introverted. They are islands.

Dragons are small, medium, or large animals with a reptilian or mammalian or saurian or avian cast, who may or may not have wings, may or may not eat people, may or many not have an intrinsic alignment along an axis of good and evil, may or may not have an elemental affiliation, may or may not like knitting. Sometimes, dragons are lonely because of the people they successfully discourage, by being too honest about themselves and others, by never actually seeking contact, by being too big and arrogant and eating the neighbors dog.

Dragons are not aloof for the sake of being aloof; they are aloof for the sake of not stepping on people, but secretly, because theyre quite afraid of being stepped on. They want people to be without being interrupted, and want the same for themselves. Although...it is easier to observe and not be known. Not everyone can hurt them, but the right people can. The right an accurate people can hurt something big and intense because dragons are not perfect.

They are an archetype and a powerful one, but real dragons know that nothing is above the need to learn, nothing is above mistakes, and nothing is above the ability to be hurt. Dragons walk softly because of this. To hurt someone else is to possibly hurt yourself in the long-run. Consider it enlightened self-interest at the very least. Some of them are loud. Generally, dragons are not seen unless they wish to be seen. Some wish it more than others. Dragons like stuff. Some of them have manners; they always have manners but often tilted toward getting to the root of things and being honest. If they respect you. If not, all bets are off.

Dragons are prone to retreating into their own mental worlds, but this is not good for them. Dragons need friends too. They need new experiences, they need things to wake them up. They need people banging on gongs and reminding them to send the rain. Dragons are fierce and loyal and endless and eternal, and they are large, if not in shape than otherwise. Dragons are graceful and reachable and part of a mythos. Dragons are distant and cold and unreachable, for they encompass each a shard of the unknown, even to themselves.

Dragons all have something in common with other dragons, but they cannot say what it is. They dont know. They'll try to discuss it anyway, because they like to ponder, but they know that the thing they have in common with each other is visible only in small shared moments, and not visible in an attempt at a larger concept. Dragons have presence and inspire awe and fear and they have the ability to have no presence at all. They often walk silently. If you ask them to speak, they will. If you invite them, they will accept if they feel like it. And you might not like it, because they speak for the sake of whats being said, and may answer questions and take up offers that the host was unaware of making. If you ask them if they are godlike and perfect, the smart ones will say no, and the hearts of the unsmart ones will say no as well even if their minds say yes.

Dragons are a class of things, each unrelated to the next, but obviously part of a cohesive and sensible whole.

Dragons are about opposites and the containment thereof. They contain opposites by embodying dualities. They hold opposites within themselves comfortably, as part of themselves, and yet they exist. Perhaps this makes them grumpy at times, to balance so many things, to see that there may not be a one right answer but to understand the rightness of all the smaller answers.

Dragons understand two things: that change is necessary, and that preservation is necessary, and that nothing really ever changes.

Dragons challenge people. They dont eat them if they fail, but the feel sad and angry sometimes when too many of their challenges go unmet and unanswered. Asking questions is one modality of interacting with the world. They dont want to hurt people, even if their challenges and healing seem radical and aggressive and frightening. They want to share the one thing any dragon really treasures, which is information and ideas. They want to share it so that it might propagate, so that it will last and change and eventually come back to them. They want to watch the process but are sometimes afraid to be drawn into it. They sometimes are the process, at least by power of will, and do not exclude you from it but you would never think of sharing that space with them.

Dragons are vital and alive and grounded and ethereal and dualistic and whole and utterly touchable and enigmatic and frighteningly violent and gentle and perfect and flawed and aloof and arrogant and loving and charmingly shy and in need of friends.

That is what dragons are."

Rainstone
March 18th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Wow Savage that is my personallity. Like throwing a dart at a dart board and hitting the bull's eye. It's kind of freaky actually.

DragonicWolf
March 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Wow...That...There are so many areas I want to quote.This is the most accurate 'dragon' article i have ever read. I praise whoever wrote this, it is as wonderful as a psychic reading. It makes me feel happy.I really don't know what to say.

Thank you so much for sharing this Savage, il check out that thread right away.

Wow Savage that is my personallity. Like throwing a dart at a dart board and hitting the bull's eye. It's kind of freaky actually.

That is just like how I felt.

MoonShadow
March 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Wow, tis too bad I didn't catch all the newer posts sooner. I feel kinda bad since I was like the first person to comment to the main one. I tried skimming best I could and will probably have to re-read some things but there were a few things I wanted to mention with my dragon-experience.

Honestly I would have to say that it is quite different from Jaguar and Wolf, as Savage mentioned ~ Such animals tend to not be able to speak or think etc etc. When I'm dragon shifted though I have felt two different ways.

One way would be the instinct, when I was off searching for my nesting grounds (in a journey) I would find one place that was appealing to human mind but then instantly countered with oh well it's not warm enough or something. When I felt threatened while shifted as dragon instead of using my "voice" I curled my body and hissed (which was quite interesting to say the least..I never had thought about how dragons could hiss like a snake or something lol)

Most of the time now since my merging it's been slight kinks in personality pretty much. I tend to think more than I talk, my movements become slower as in not just physically but like I've got all the time in the world (I'm guessing because dragons live for like Ever lol) I also tend to think higher of myself? like I feel I know way more than everyone else does and so whatever I say should be not be taken lightly (The problem is, I Think I know everything, but in this reality not so much...it's a different sort of knowledge that I can't really explain. Like if I were to tap into a certain part of me I might get a flood of spiritual or otherworldly knowledge or something. Meh like I said, hard to explain) Also, I do have a temper that seems to like flaring up a bit...Gives me the *rolls eyes and blows a small flame at you out of annoyance and continues whatever I was doing* If that makes sense haha.

Hmm....I guess that's good for now...hope that helps? feel free to ask questions...

Edit:Wow, Savages post on the definition of a dragon is quite Rrr....yeah accurate to say the least on many things lol....It actually helped me realize some other things that were more dragon related when I automatically blamed Jaguar for. I'd definitely have to say a dragon wrote that *nods* or one that has a very deep connection with one.
Thanks for that Savage!

Raqui
March 19th, 2009, 06:51 PM
As others have said, holy crap, Savage's post exactly it. I could never have put it into words that well.

Savage
March 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM
The post is not mine. I am having difficulty finding an attribution for it, but it has been reposted a number of times in Otherkin communities. Perhaps someone familiar with the original author can help.

Eissenvarg
March 20th, 2009, 04:47 AM
I worship Chaos incarnated as a big black dragon. for me, dragons represent (apart from Welsh national pride) the raw, unbound forces of Chaos, the antithesis of Cosmos.
I would love to be a dragon because flying would OWN and breathing fire would UBER-OWN (i'm a pyro.) I've had one dream-shift into a dragon flying over the medieval Alps (i think Bavaria) about to swoop down and waste a whole village, but i wouldn't count myself as dragon-kin from one dream. must be cool for those who get it regularly

Rainstone
March 20th, 2009, 11:32 AM
It is a welcomed break from my human self. To many flaws with this hunk of meat. Though no fire breathe, would be awesome, but humans lack a certain gland to produce that effect. :P

Rainstone
March 23rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
I hate searching for dragonkin forums on google because all I get is these stupid websites for world of warcraft and d&d. Anyone know of any good forums not filled with the pervious topics?

MoonShadow
March 24th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I hate searching for dragonkin forums on google because all I get is these stupid websites for world of warcraft and d&d. Anyone know of any good forums not filled with the pervious topics?

Oh my goodness I know! I tried looking for some dragon-kin forums a while back and that's all I got as well. The only place to find other dragons would be otherkin forums I'd imagine. And the ones I've seen on those sites tend to be um...a little roleplayish? Like somehow they know their whole story of being dragon and that they are going to save the world and blah blah blah. Stupid stuffs.

I'd be interested to know as well if anyone else knows of any Good sites with dragons! :}-<

WolfVanZandt
March 24th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Hmmm....most of the Draconics I've talked to have said that they tend to be very individualistic, solitary people and don't tend to associate much. Maybe that's a verification......

DragonicWolf
March 24th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I have not found a completely trustable otherkin site either. Many of them, as how moonshadow described it, are roleplayish people who know everything and are gonna save the world or some other rediculous claims.

The only place i trust so far is the werelist.

Elidolente
March 24th, 2009, 03:36 PM
This is an odd post to come across at this particular time in my life. (Also, this might belong more in the spiritual section of werelist, but seeing as how the Dragon post is here, :/, you can go ahead and take this post as the mad ravings of a confused therian, but hey, it happened to me.)

I have recently been having some trouble with myself, who I am etc. The wolf-side of me was trying to lead me some place in journeys, but I was "too busy" with other things to follow him. I have only known about therianthropy/otherkin for about 3 months, and only recently started getting into the more “shamanic” (word used loosely) experiences that seem to be occurring more-or-less naturally with me. I thought the wolf side of me was all there is to my story, but I was wrong.

After neglecting my wolf-side for a little bit, I came into contact with someone with wings in a journey I was having. I thought they were quite beautiful, and I was inspired by them. I had never seen wings in a journey before. I felt like it opened something inside me.

The next Day at school, near the end of it, I briefly got phantom wings. They were odd, to say the least, and I summed it up to an empathy shift. Though, they felt partly natural, like they belonged. I didn't think too much of it the rest of the day and they quickly faded. until the next morning. I was just chatting with a friend (he was the winged entity in the journey), and I suddenly got the phantom wings again, much more intensely than before. They felt very real, a bit painful as well. Another journey ensued, and I tried to figure out what the cause was. My friend remarked on their odd nature, the fact they seemed partly natural and partly artificial. They were more like a bird's or angel’s, and I had the thought they should have been draconic. At that thought, the wings changed and they started to go deeper into my back, rooting themselves. They started to hurt a bit as they entered deeper, but in a way it felt right. Once they were done, it was amazing. They felt right. I wasn't really sure what to think of them, I guessed I was just a wolf who had dragon wings, and went on with daily life.

But, my wolf-side in dreamtime kept trying to lead me somewhere, to freedom, I guess it was trying to say. I didn't want to follow; I had “too much” going on. I was also afraid of where it would lead. I went on this way for about a week, not really following it. I realized how separate we had become, so after attempting to reconnected again, someone helped me in an journey towards that road and path I was avoiding. Eventually, partway down the path during an extreme moment, I Dragon shifted. Quite odd, to say the least. I experienced things differently as a Dragon, I also had a better and more accurate way of speaking and had better grammar (that made me chuckle). I am leaving out a lot of details, but basically, I found out that my dragon has been in control (more so than the wolf) most of my life. It was in control more the first 14 years of my life when I lived in Los Angeles, and only when I came to Washington did the wolf get its turn to try and get out. My attitudes and actions and the way I am are an odd combination of wolf and dragon traits, mostly dragons with a heavy wolf influence (if that makes sense). Savage's post (or re-post) described me almost perfectly.

It is unfortunate, however, that in the 3 years that the wolf was in control (compared to the dragon any who, both were still trumped by my repressing-human side, however), it grew jealous and actually developed into another personality entirely. Still mostly the same, but itl became its own entity within me. So, it was interesting to confront it in a journey. I now know how people who have multiple entities in them feel, and it is not always fun. It basically confronted me on me abandoning it, and taking in the wolf instead. It took a little while for me to re-integrate with the dragon. Unfortunately, because of this, the wolf side of took a step at separating and spoke some of its own words about the situation. They apparently don’t like each other, they in fact hated each other with a burning passion. (I guess this is what happens when you repress a large part of yourself for 5 years...you go a bit insane and think different parts of you have different personalities...lol) So, I finally got them to agree enough for us to become one entity for the first time, and it was quite an interesting experience: I felt whole, and I loved and still cherish the feeling.

So, it turns out I am a Dragonkin and a Wolf. I wasn't seeing that coming. Its good nonetheless seeing myself as whole, hopefully another one of these revelations about myself don't come soon - they are a bit exhausting.

Elidolente
March 25th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Ahhh! I killed the thread. Sorry dragons, I hope your scaly discussions will continue ^.^

DragonicWolf
March 25th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Ahhh! I killed the thread. Sorry dragons, I hope your scaly discussions will continue ^.^

You didnt D: It was really interesting reading your experience. In fact the way you described it was quite similar to the way I was with my wolf and dragon side as well. My dragon side was also in complete control for the first fourteen years of my life, after that the wolf came in, and the wolf took control. Only now, which is 3 years after that, those two sides of me seem to have settled and I feel so much better now.

Rainstone
March 25th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I have only ever been dragon I've never had another exsistence with me. It's weird though being the only one so far.

Dragonslorefury
March 25th, 2009, 10:16 AM
-Raises hand-
I'm a dragon.

Zyraxus
March 25th, 2009, 11:58 AM
You're not alone, I haven't ever experienced being anything other than a dragon, either. I get the occasional 'voice in my head', but I'm almost certain that they're my own creation.

Kit
March 25th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I believed myself to be a dragon at one point but I am not so sure anymore. I feel wrong saying I am nowadays, but I still feel like a dragon here and there. So I am rather confused and doing a lot of soul searching to figure this out.

Raqui
March 25th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I stopped thinking I was dragonkin at the same age- 14. And now I'm kinda both. Funny.

Seraphyna
March 25th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I'm a celestial with a close connection to gargoyles (of the lionness-dragon persuasion). I'm a polymorph so I can basically shift my way into anything, but gargoyle happens a ton and on its own.

Rainstone
March 25th, 2009, 05:42 PM
hmm you all seem to change at 14 that's interesting.

Raqui
March 25th, 2009, 07:25 PM
It might just be something about going into adolescence.

Loh
March 25th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I think associating as a dragon can sometimes be a little confusing, at least when it comes to the phantom limb part. As a creature seemingly made up of various animal features, I wonder how prevalent 'kin confusion ("'kinfusion"? Can I copyright that? XD ) is with dragons during their discovery phase.

I know for me it's a constant inner struggle to decipher what feelings are potentially linked to the dragon, and which aren't...but I've got other issues.

Who knew this thread would carry on as far as it has. I didn't realize quite how many lurking flying reptilians were wandering around these parts. *Oblivious Loh is oblivious*

Zyraxus
March 25th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Weird. I was 14 when I first started to realize what I was, too. Then after a year or so of struggling with the emotional and social recoil I tried to repress my draconity. As you can see, that didn't work. xD But oh well, I'm okay with it now, I can deal with this weirdness.

Did any one else go through a period of denying the existance their inner nature?

Loh
March 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Did any one else go through a period of denying the existance their inner nature?

Oh lawrdy. Although I've felt a powerful admiration and connection to dragons since toddlerhood, I nevertheless considered the idea of being one absolutely absurd. And unfortunately, due to the exposure I later received, made up of prominently complete posers claiming draconity as an identity, I only became more resistant to the concept. And I'm still working on it. XD

Elidolente
March 25th, 2009, 08:28 PM
So, I think a lot of you have read my experiences, what does it all mean? I mean, I had a bit of a breakdown the other day as a result, and I am a bit ashamed to say hurting myself or destroying anything in general was an extremely lucrative idea. IN fact, when I was 13, I did cut myself, but since moving to my current state, I didn't link about it again until soon after realizing my dragon-side...

Its definitely different from my wolf side, and their instincts dont get along to well sometimes, while at others their goals are the same. It's an odd experience and although I am not even sure what I am asking, I need some help with this side of me ;/

Raqui
March 25th, 2009, 10:25 PM

It wouldn't seem like it, since I'm more of the "I am who I am and if the world doesn't like it, it can go **** itself" type. But yes, I did have a time when I supressed it, because I was dumb enough to let everyone around me know what I thought, and they convinced me out of it. Of course, I had some pretty screwed up ideas regarding draconity that I did need to be convinced out of. I must have damaged some internal organ or another trying to hold down the feeling of dragon fire. I wouldn't recommend it.

Zyraxus
March 25th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Elidolente: I think dragons don't all have the same experiences, so it's hard to say. And I don't have any personal experience with conflicting theriotypes, so I'm afraid I can't offer any advice from here. I wish you luck, though.

Raqui: It's possible that I'm the only dragon who thinks breath weapons are silly. But you say you've experienced some kind of phantom-dragonfire? You sure it wasn't heartburn?

Rainstone
March 26th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I must have damaged some internal organ or another trying to hold down the feeling of dragon fire. I wouldn't recommend it. Yeah I wouldn't suggest doing that again it burns a lot. A least in my experience. I also have gone through denial until the point that I didn't even know myself. It was the weirdest experience of my life.

Raqui
March 26th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Heartburn? Well, I doubt it as I'm 16 and have a healthy heart in general, but I haven't looked into that possibility. I'll mention it to my dad, who's an internal medicine doctor. But yes, I often feel a kind of burning between my chest and my stomach. It seems to be tied to my emotions and at least partially voluntary. I call it dragonfire at times because it just seems like I could almost breathe fire like this and it feels dragon-y to me. But I'm not sure at all that that's what it is, and I'm not claiming phantom dragonfire as of now. I called it that in my last post only because while I was suppressing my dragoniness I felt it in a very strong, even painful way.

Zyraxus
March 26th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Actually, it's more related to gastrointestinal organs, not the heart. Heartburn is essentially a watered-down version of acid reflux, I think, which can happen due to poor diet, stress, smoking, etc. Emphasis on stress. If you're feeling pain, it's probably something you should look further into if it happens on a regular basis. D:

I get acid reflux issues on occasion because of my poor sleeping and eating habits. Hurray for being an art student.

Raqui
March 26th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I've talked to my dad and he explained what heartburn is. Like Zyra said, It's nothing to do with the heart and it's not only people in their 70s and 80s who get it. Can't blame me for not knowing the last part. All the commercials for heartburn meds show a bunch of old people :p

I'm testing a few things to get to the bottom of what this is (ie, if it is heartburn, tums should make it go away). I'll stop derailing this thread for now and get back later with my conclusion. If it is heartburn, though, I'll feel like an absolute idiot.

Rainstone
March 26th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Yup Being an art student has crazy effects on sleep and eating so much fun. ...Not oh well at least we are doing something that we love.

Raqui
April 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Reviving this thread to say this: I've tested, wondered, and analyzed, and my phantom dragon fire is not the same as heartburn. I have gotten heartburn a few times, especially when I don't drink enough water, so I can say it's not the same thing. My primary reasons for deciding this way is that:
1. It just feels different
2. It's often brought on by emotions.
I play pokemon pearl, and when a pokemon uses the move flamethrower, it shows them blasting fire out of their mouth. Whenever I see that, I empathize and feel the fire coming out. Many of my shifts are empathy based, so this makes sense. Also, when I dragon shifted the other day while play wrestling with my dog, I kept getting the urge to lash at him with my tail and such, and it was very natural to call up the feeling. Heck, even just thinking about it now brings the feeeling. :D Rawr!
I think sometimes the fire thing causes heartburn, because of the whole "trying to spit something up from the bowels". It hasn't ever made me feel like vomiting, but I can imagine how I might end up choking up some stomach acid.

Rainstone
April 7th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Don't worry the more you experience it the less it will show up. If that makes sence. I guess what I'm trying to say is that for me the more I had this experience the more I was able to will it to come or not come. Well it seems that it doesn't happen unless I want it to. I have no idea if I'm making sence or not.

Raqui
April 7th, 2009, 11:03 PM
It makes sense. But, heck, I like it! It's comforting in the same way that your own smell is comforting, it doesn't bother me like heartburn, I think it's neat, and it doesn't interfere with my social life, so what's not to like? :) I'm assuming, by the way you're talking, that you have or had the same thing going on.

Rainstone
April 8th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Yeah simular experiences except the ball forms inside my stomach and my breath gets really hot. The first time it happened my parents thought I was sick. :P

Zyraxus
April 13th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Interesting. I'm glad you took time to further explore your dragonfire thing, and took my thoughts into consideration, I can really respect that.

I'm still quite skeptical on firebreathing, personally. At least in the physical sense, assuming that dragons are physical beings. It doesn't seem like a very practical thing to evolve as a weapon or defense mechanism. And with things such as not burning your vulnerable insides or spontaneously exploding due to volatile gasses (Haha, oh geeze, the imagery in my head. Just imagine: dragons mid-flight suddenly exploding from a stray spark going down the wrong pipe...), it just feels more and more unlikely.

Now, if we were to assume that dragons are not in fact physical entities, and never were, then all bets are off. Physics doesn't have to work the same way in the astral realm, right? And perhaps evolution exists in a more non-linear pattern there, too.

Rainstone
April 13th, 2009, 11:13 PM
well also Theories of the medieval dragons in books like King Arthur think that dragons had acid glands that spit out like what some snakes can. When inspecting a body that has been hit with this acid it would look like the body was burnt to a crisp. Instead of the whole fire breath thinger. Also the fire breath Idea comes from the whole "magicallity" of the dragon. The theory that dragons were well attuned to the "magic realm" more so then the so called "mages" and "witches" of the time. As I said before this is all theory. Unfortunatly there are no more dragons (that we know of) that exsist, were we could see for ourselves what they are capible of.

Eissenvarg
April 14th, 2009, 06:54 AM
also if the acids produced were a mix of nitric and sulphuric, the result would have been a contact-sensitive explosive liquid. this could have looked like "firebreathing" and would have made mincemeat of anything that got in a dragon's way, as well as sending everything else running for the hills.

Raqui
April 14th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Ooh, neat. I haven't heard of that one before. But how would they have gotten nitric and sulphuric acids in their systems in the first place? It has to be something that they could readily obtain from the environment.

Rainstone
April 15th, 2009, 12:28 AM
well the formula for nitric acid is Hydrogen Nitrogen and Ozone very easy for a dragon to store in a gland just by breathing. Sulfuric acid is H2SO3 agian hydrogen and Ozone but where the Sulfure that is needed to get this formula I have no idea where it comes from naturally.

Sareth
April 15th, 2009, 12:38 AM
where the Sulfure that is needed to get this formula I have no idea where it comes from naturally.

Elemental sulfur can be found near hot springs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_spring) and volcanic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic) regions in many parts of the world, especially along the Pacific Ring of Fire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Ring_of_Fire). Such volcanic deposits are currently mined in Indonesia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesia), Chile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile), and Japan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan). Sicily (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicily) is also famous for its sulfur mines.
Significant deposits of elemental sulfur also exist in salt domes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_domes) along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Mexico), and in evaporites (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporite) in eastern Europe and western Asia. The sulfur in these deposits is believed to come from the action of anaerobic bacteria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_bacteria) on sulfate minerals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral#Sulfate_class), especially gypsum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsum), although apparently native sulfur may be produced by geological processes alone, without the aid of living organisms (see below). However, fossil-based sulfur deposits from salt domes are the basis for commercial production in the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States), Poland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland), Russia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia), Turkmenistan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkmenistan), and Ukraine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine).

Rainstone
April 15th, 2009, 12:48 AM
That would explain why dragons love caves and moutains and volcanic areas.

Savage
April 15th, 2009, 12:57 AM
All of this is rambling speculation and it explains nothing. There is zero evidence that dragons existed, let alone that they had specialized glands, or that such glands could produce these particular compounds.

kyuubikira
April 15th, 2009, 08:02 AM
All myths are based on something truthful. Perhaps they're just shy?

Sorry if I just butted into a scientific debate on the matter.

Seraphyna
April 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Myths are myths. They could exist for many reason, the least likely of which being that dragons physically existed on earth. I mean, you're talking to a bunch of people who identify as dragons in some non-physical way. Otherkin isn't a new phenomenon...so why would you rule out dragon myths coming from otherkin? Or dinosaur bones? Or dreams? Or journeying in the astral? Etc. etc. It's a far leap to "well dragons must've existed on earth for there to be myths about them".

Savage
April 15th, 2009, 11:06 AM
All myths are based on something truthful.

That simply isn't true. Many myths serve a sociological, psychological or cultural purpose, but are entirely fictional.

Sorry if I just butted into a scientific debate on the matter.

It isn't specifically a scientific debate, but when someone starts to make what sounds like assumptions of real-world fact, those need to be discussed on a real-world basis. Particularly if they are not real-world fact or anything close to it.

Eissenvarg
April 15th, 2009, 03:00 PM
sulphur occurs in lost polypeptide proteins (in small amounts.) so its already in all tissues, just as a trace. Nitric and sulphuric acids are the key ingredients of nitroglycerine, and consequently gelignite and dynamite. Nitroglycerine is extremely sensitive to heat and impact, so storing it in the body would probably result in the dragon turning himself into a crater pretty fast.
And i don't beleive they ever existed in a physical form, at least not as magical firebreathing creatures, more likely mistaken identity of normal reptiles or other creatures. But its still fun to speculate

Sareth
April 15th, 2009, 05:12 PM
And i don't beleive they ever existed in a physical form, at least not as magical firebreathing creatures, more likely mistaken identity of normal reptiles or other creatures. But its still fun to speculate

I agree, and perhaps some larger no longer existant reptiles as well, or one of the odder sea creatures washed up on shore, like a Frill shark or something.

Rainstone
April 15th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I'll have to agree with Savage on the mytholigy. Mytholigy exsisted as teachings for some cultures, some are so out there that it's hard to believe they happened at all. Plus I don't think that dragons exsisted in this realm of exsistence. That expanation though goes back to my personal belief of exsistence and 'therianism.' If that is the proper word for it. I also agree with Eissenvarg in the mistaken identity of a lizard. As I said before I never believed dragons exsisted here.

Raqui
April 15th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Sure, I'm not saying that they ever did exist. This is, as savage put it, useless rambling speculation that explains nothing. The idea is that if they existed here or on another planet, how would they breathe fire. I agree that (unfortunately?) they most likely didn't ever exist on Earth.

Jakkal
April 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I don't think there's anything really wrong with talking about how, perhaps, it could have been done. This is good for writers and artists, because it adds a lot to the suspension of disbelief. Just don't mistake it for anything factual or physical.

Might want to look up Bombardier beetles. That might give you some more ideas for it.

kyuubikira
April 17th, 2009, 11:36 AM
People aren't that good at inventing their own things, inventions usually come from a solution to a problem. If you try and invent your own animal you'll find you'd just be taking parts from existing animals to try and make something unique. I don't think that when the myths about dragons were created that people knew about dinosaurs or what they would look like if they found some fossils. So the question is where did the idea come from? Reptiles maybe?

DragonicWolf
May 10th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I suddenly had a thought... il make it very vague , maybe dragons only ever existed in the form of a 'dragonkin'. That COULD explain roughly why dragons in myths are generally around people, like dragons and knights and stuff like that, and not portrayed as 'aliens' on other planets or dimensions. Those people who could see 'dragons' and made stories about them maybe were because they saw a 'dragonkin' somehow.

not sure if this makes sense... but it was a thought. Suddenly i dont think it is possible to have had a 'past life' as a dragon, but instead, a present life as a dragon. Maybe dragonkin are not dragons 'trapped' in a human body, but are just a different kind of human with a purpose.

Ceomar
May 10th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I just want to say..I started reading this thread out of curiosity and Savage's description on page 4 was an insanely accurate description of me. Really creepy yet extremely exiting.

That being said, I think your idea Draconic is very plausable. I don't feel like I had a past life, in fact I feel as if I'm a "new soul". Perhaps, a young dragonkin. But then, how do you explain the fact that dragonkin feel as if they are reptilian, most of which, having wings? Could it be that it is the forms our spirits take and that description is the best way we can relate it to something that we know? It would sort of being like trying to describe a color no one has ever seen, you'd have to relate it to something everyone knows in order to try and understand it. Thus, winged reptiles. A combination of things every being on earth has an understanding of that best describes the way we feel phantomly.

DragonicWolf
May 10th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I just want to say..I started reading this thread out of curiosity and Savage's description on page 4 was an insanely accurate description of me. Really creepy yet extremely exiting.

That being said, I think your idea Draconic is very plausable. I don't feel like I had a past life, in fact I feel as if I'm a "new soul". Perhaps, a young dragonkin. But then, how do you explain the fact that dragonkin feel as if they are reptilian, most of which, having wings? Could it be that it is the forms our spirits take and that description is the best way we can relate it to something that we know? It would sort of being like trying to describe a color no one has ever seen, you'd have to relate it to something everyone knows in order to try and understand it. Thus, winged reptiles. A combination of things every being on earth has an understanding of that best describes the way we feel phantomly.

(thats how i felt about savages post as well, the best description of me, cant have written it better. Its from a dragonkin site i think.)

Yes I think it is the form of our spirits, most likely. Dragons are highly intelligent, in fables. Maybe they wanted the form of a creature who were as intelligent as them but will not cause trouble on earth for now. Because... i mean... if dragons were really in their true 'bodies' right now, they will be in for a heck of a time trying to survive around human beings.

Loh
May 10th, 2009, 08:32 PM
With my own experiences with draconity, I've often wondered about the nature of what a "dragon" truly is. Occasionally, I've fancied the idea that a "dragon spirit" is nothing more than a construct of various animal spirits, all merged together into one, whole being, whether created through a line of past lives, or simply as a concoction created at random.

It's a personal theory that resonates with me at this time. But, as is the nature of dragons, it's all up to speculation, eh? XD

Or, you know. Insanity works well too.

DragonicWolf
May 11th, 2009, 01:55 AM
With my own experiences with draconity, I've often wondered about the nature of what a "dragon" truly is. Occasionally, I've fancied the idea that a "dragon spirit" is nothing more than a construct of various animal spirits, all merged together into one, whole being, whether created through a line of past lives, or simply as a concoction created at random.

It's a personal theory that resonates with me at this time. But, as is the nature of dragons, it's all up to speculation, eh? XD

Or, you know. Insanity works well too.

I was thinking about that as well, but I havent really thought about it that much so I cant add much input of my own.

And yes insanity does wonders, sometimes. ;D

Rainstone
May 11th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Well while I was reading Chinese mythology they say that the dragon is a combination of a lizard and a bird. May be that those who feel a connection to dragons actually have a connection with a lizard and a bird at the same time when they M-shift. Then again this doesn't explain why some of us have the phantom flame breathish thinger.

Raqui
May 12th, 2009, 11:43 AM
*puffs fire* maybe it's a combination of dinosaur, cat, bird, and that one kind of beetle that shoots scalding liquid. I like to think they're their own animal, though

Ceomar
May 12th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Well while I was reading Chinese mythology they say that the dragon is a combination of a lizard and a bird. May be that those who feel a connection to dragons actually have a connection with a lizard and a bird at the same time when they M-shift. Then again this doesn't explain why some of us have the phantom flame breathish thinger.
That could explain why I seem to love to fold my arms in to my side as if I were folding my wings while I'm sleeping, yet during the day feel the wings on my back.

Yes I think it is the form of our spirits, most likely. Dragons are highly intelligent, in fables. Maybe they wanted the form of a creature who were as intelligent as them but will not cause trouble on earth for now. Because... i mean... if dragons were really in their true 'bodies' right now, they will be in for a heck of a time trying to survive around human beings.
And how ingenious is it to mask yourself in the body of a human itself? What better place to hide? If it is hiding. Cause I don't necessarily feel like I am. I feel like I'm observing. Oh, I do wish there was more history or lore to be had.

Or, even, if we are a combination of animals in one form. It could be that the ones with perception beyond the flesh saw the spirit inside the human and that's what best they could describe. Interesting though, that Western Europe shunned the difference, and Asia embraced it.

Loh
May 12th, 2009, 03:42 PM

Just to be a pain, I actually memorized the animal parts that make up a Chinese dragon. XD Because I have problems like that.

The traditional Lung has the eyes of a rabbit, the face of a camel, the body of a snake, the scales and facial tendrils of a fish, the mane of a lion, the toes of an eagle, and the claws of a tiger.

Huzzah for the stitched up animal rag doll that is the Oriental Dragon.

DragonicWolf
May 25th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Then again this doesn't explain why some of us have the phantom flame breathish thinger.

I think because how society has stereotyped dragons to be fire breathing beasts has made the fact stuck into our heads and simply make us notice the 'fire breath' feeling more than other people.

Honestly, i dont believe in fire breathing dragons, and yet I still feel phantom fire. >_>

Raqui
May 25th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I believe it because I feel fire. I mean, I don't think dragons physically existed on Earth in the first place, so why not have them breathe fire?

Ka-Crxxy
May 25th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Just to be a pain, I actually memorized the animal parts that make up a Chinese dragon. XD Because I have problems like that.

The traditional Lung has the eyes of a rabbit, the face of a camel, the body of a snake, the scales and facial tendrils of a fish, the mane of a lion, the toes of an eagle, and the claws of a tiger.

Huzzah for the stitched up animal rag doll that is the Oriental Dragon.

...I never knew that's what those dragons were made up of...and it's really strange, seeing as how I'm dragonkin (Though most likely of the western variety) but: I first considered lion as my theriotype, I've always had a strong love (fangirl-like) for camels, I've always owned rabbits and fish (and consider them some of my favorite animals), used to be literally -obsessed- with tigers when I was younger, have an eagle spirit guide and a healthy respect for snakes (as opposed to fear...).

o_O Just thought I'd mention.

So yes, I identify as dragonkin, but as it's quite new to me, I don't have much else to share you lot. <33

gingercat
May 25th, 2009, 05:49 PM
[quote=Savage;42963]Dragons know the truth about things. They frighten people. They frighten people by knowing the truth about things, and by not caring. Or by saying the truth you didnt want to hear, speaking fire at you and burning away the old things. You aren't afraid the dragon will eat you; you're afraid the dragon will notice you, judge you, and find you unworthy of their time. You're afraid the dragon will notice you at all.

The dragon's afraid you'll notice them. Often they would prefer not to be notice or bothered, but left alone so they may observe things from afar. They study things with a detached interest, often reluctant to interfere. They study things and detach them from the value system in a way that can be upsetting, for they do not place more inherent importance in people in preference to crickets. They sometimes fail to view themselves in the larger picture through a desire to be apart and alone and left alone, to be the impassive observer, in the scene but not an active element most of teh time. Unless a catalyst strikes. Actions may seem capricious, but often spring without apprarent warning from a firm base of prolonged thought. They are old. Very old, but they dont care much about this. Its years, things pass and change, but mostly stay the same within patterns.quote]

I once knew a dragon therian/otherkin, and this describes that person perfectly.

gingercat
May 25th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Dragons know the truth about things. They frighten people. They frighten people by knowing the truth about things, and by not caring. Or by saying the truth you didnt want to hear, speaking fire at you and burning away the old things. You aren't afraid the dragon will eat you; you're afraid the dragon will notice you, judge you, and find you unworthy of their time. You're afraid the dragon will notice you at all.

The dragon's afraid you'll notice them. Often they would prefer not to be notice or bothered, but left alone so they may observe things from afar. They study things with a detached interest, often reluctant to interfere. They study things and detach them from the value system in a way that can be upsetting, for they do not place more inherent importance in people in preference to crickets. They sometimes fail to view themselves in the larger picture through a desire to be apart and alone and left alone, to be the impassive observer, in the scene but not an active element most of teh time. Unless a catalyst strikes. Actions may seem capricious, but often spring without apprarent warning from a firm base of prolonged thought. They are old. Very old, but they dont care much about this. Its years, things pass and change, but mostly stay the same within patterns.

I once knew a dragon therian/otherkin, and this describes that person perfectly.

DragonicWolf
May 25th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I believe it because I feel fire. I mean, I don't think dragons physically existed on Earth in the first place, so why not have them breathe fire?

Yeah I dont believe they psysically existed (as a dragon) on earth either. But then how come the people on earth who describe dragons see them as fire breathing monsters the knights slay? Ive come up with a personal theory, which others are likely to disagree with. As I have said before, i think dragons have only existed on earth as people. And the people who have seen or interacted with these 'dragon people' have seen how... 'agressive' they can be personality wise, and the words they say can be painful. And then these people who have interacted with the 'dragonkin' have thus made up stories of the dragons, and their words are so painful that it is like fire.

I once knew a dragon therian/otherkin, and this describes that person perfectly.Yes that article is amazing at describing dragonkin. Even if people dont know they are a dragonkin, and they have those traits, i simply call the dragon people in a playful manner. Like how sometimes i call my other friend a prairie dog or a chipmunk >w<

Night-kai
May 25th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Wow, savage's post sounds just like me. maybe i'm also a dragon kin :D

Raqui
May 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
It's a good thought. I'm going to keep that in the back of my mind and see if anything else fits.

I wonder how many non-dragons can identify with what Savage posted? I'm going to try a little experiment. I'm going to ask a lot of non-dragons to come here and read this post and say whether or not it sounds like them.

Amourosa Wolfsight
May 26th, 2009, 01:38 PM
So, yes, Raqui asked me to look at Savage's re-post and comment on it.

Here goes:

I do not believe I am dragon-kin but quite a bit of that description resonates very deeply with me. I believe I had a dragon guardian at one point, a very vulnerable, changing-point in my life so maybe he influenced me. It's weird, actually, because I was just thinking of him last night and looking at the little statue that symbolizes him and his protection and unspoken guidance so many years ago. He's gone, now that I am no longer in that place, but it was a very dark time in my life, the darkest yet. Like I said, maybe the dragon-energy influenced me more than I originally thought, for I do not believe I'm dragon-kin.
But, yes, that description sounds almost exactly like me. There are a few points I initially disagreed with, but I might come back in a couple days and say, "Yeah, those points ring true with me as well."

Weird, I don't know if this will stick, but it seems that, so far, dragon-kin and wolf therians are responding most to this thread saying it sounds like them (us?).

Raqui
May 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I've asked a few other types, including Toji, Kumiho, and Prowl, so we'll see.

Kumiho
May 26th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks for referring me to the thread, Raqui :D

I feel that many things that Savage posted could be said about me as well. Many times, Savage states that dragons can go to either ends of the spectrum of a trait; this is true of most entities.

After reflecting on Savage's post, I think I understand why many people (including myself) seem to find themselves in parts of the description of a dragon. The answer lies with one single word: power.

Dragons, as described by Savage, hold physical, intellectual, and philosophical power, as well as many other kinds. The bottom line is that the essence of the archetypal dragon, is that it is an empowered creature.

Many therians and non-therians here are at a point in their lives where they have chosen to carve their own way in finding who they are. We ask ourselves, "Who am I?" In asking this question, we have chosen to walk into the darkness, a place where the only thing that truly exists is you. In stepping into this unknown, we have taken the first step in self-empowerment. We have chosen to stray from the beaten path, the path that is set out in front of us by parents, peers, and society. Some of us try and take parts of our old selves with us while some of us try to discard our old lives. Either way, we CHOOSE. WE choose.

The philosopher, Immanuel Kant once wrote about immaturity. He said that immaturity is allowing others to choose for you. Without maturity, you don't have choice. Without choice, you don't have freedom. Without freedom, you don't have power.....and without power, YOU ARE NOT TRULY YOU.

The reason why I think many people here identify with the traits in Savage's thread is because most, if not all, of us here have taken the first step to self-empowerment and asked, "Who am I?"

The sheer power summoned by this question, I feel, is best put by Ralph Waldo Emerson: Beware when the great God lets loose a thinker on this planet.

(Apologies for the long-winded post.)

Raqui
May 26th, 2009, 03:29 PM
You're welcom Kumiho, thanks for the insight. It's helpful.

SilverTiger
May 27th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Hello, white tiger here!

Kumiho's post was awsome. :) It pretty much somes up what I want to say. :D

However, that other post was epic.

But anyhow, yes, I can relate to some of the stuff Savage said. The main difference for me was 'Intellengence'. Whilst dragons are extremely intellegent, tigers are... intellegent in the non-academic way? (Heh.) The tiger doesnt choose to be aloof or secretive; she just is by nature. She doesnt know everything, she does knows what is there and what will happen in the near future.

As for the noticing part, heck yeah, she notices me. Is it fair to say she uses me, or not? I am not quite sure, but like the dragons she is scared of being found out about; but not because she is scared, because it is an unnessesary hasstle that she doesnt need to go through. Make no mistake; tigers are man-eaters. If the oppertunity comes, they'll kill you.

Tigers don't respect people; they barely respect other tigers, unless they are the opposite sex. Though humans respect tigers. In fact, the tiger was recently voted the world most poplar animal. (Yes!) They want to see power, and be powerful yet silent. They live to rule over their habitats as the kings/queens of the food chain, and to reproduce, and nothing else.

The tigers think that the people are stupid; they track them in places where they know nothing about. They know what man can do, but they still think they can overcome them with teeth and claws. I am afriad that one day, the tiger will come at the wrong time, and I will land myself in a heap of trouble that could have been avoided if it wasnt for reactions.

They don't think; they do, unlike what was said about the dragons. When they are plotting an attack, however, it is one of the times when they do actually think. Tigers, though solitary creatures, will come together sometimes to eat. They plot their attacks much like lions; minus the speed, up on the power. This behaviour is not instict, because it is not like first hand experience. Its more like an oppertunity that came up, so they'll just join.

The thing I related to most was the fact that tigers, like dragons, know who they are. They know they are tigers, and so can fluant that fact around with that same simple arrogance that they themselves do not understand. They dont pretend to be anything else but that!

So, all in all, I don't think I can class myself as dragon-kin. :) Tiger-kin are just oo different! But some of the stuff there, I think, relates to most preditors, and not just the dragons.

... I hope this made sense and was relevent! :D

Leeds
May 28th, 2009, 11:11 PM
For Raqui...

I also felt like Savages post was describing me at times. Mostly about the aloof observer who doesnt like to intervene. And as a truth seeker and sayer that others wont always know how to meet their "challenges."

But I am no dragon-kin. I was born in the year of the dragon and do feel a proud kinship with them but I am a wolf for sure.

Ceomar
June 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM
Many interesting points, that's for sure. One thing I see about the post is the fact that it's somewhat "generalized" so that it could be interpreted just slightly to fit almost anyone who is just slightly like what the post talks about. Not to mention, any human or therian could have that personality as well.
Even as a dragon though, I'm not always the outside observer. When I'm with 1 or 2 close friends, I interact, laugh, and even make fun of them (in a playful way of course). Any more than that, and I usually sit on the sideline watching unless they involve me. It's what I like to do...watch, learn.
I've got to say...one of the few things that I don't have in common with most therians is I don't have mental shifts. I am always a dragon in mind. And I almost always feel my phantom parts. I'm kind of curious if the other dragons here are the same way. I'm sorry if it's been brought up before and to sort of change the topic a bit. I haven't seen anything on the site about it.

DragonicWolf
June 3rd, 2009, 05:57 AM
I've got to say...one of the few things that I don't have in common with most therians is I don't have mental shifts. I am always a dragon in mind. And I almost always feel my phantom parts. I'm kind of curious if the other dragons here are the same way. I'm sorry if it's been brought up before and to sort of change the topic a bit. I haven't seen anything on the site about it.

I never shift into my dragon side. It is always there, it is a complete, tame, part of me. I am the dragon(kin). But my wolf side, however, is more... feral. So basically I am a dragonkin with the therioside of a wolf, or, being a wolf in my past life. So i guess for the dragon part I am similar to you.

Ice Blitz
August 15th, 2009, 09:07 PM
:P

I guess I'll be the odd one out here. On my first read through, I guess there were some things in the post that described me, like needing to be around people, but pushing them away, but otherwise nothing else really fit.

Maybe its just the way its described? One of those things that is acually a semi-blanket description? So it could theoretically fit every person?

I dunno, I'll try reading it again later when I can sit down and go through it bit by bit.

Glintfur
August 16th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I've always been fascinated with dragons and played pretend as one. I draw them all the time, but I can't believe you guys would be able to be a therian of one of the most humble creatures in mythology. Wow.

DragonicWolf
August 16th, 2009, 01:49 AM
:P

I guess I'll be the odd one out here. On my first read through, I guess there were some things in the post that described me, like needing to be around people, but pushing them away, but otherwise nothing else really fit.

Maybe its just the way its described? One of those things that is acually a semi-blanket description? So it could theoretically fit every person?

I dunno, I'll try reading it again later when I can sit down and go through it bit by bit.

Yes, it can describe absolutely anyone, but it also describes the typical dragonkin personality traits it seems. Its just like how wolf therians also have personality traits that fit other people =P

I've always been fascinated with dragons and played pretend as one. I draw them all the time, but I can't believe you guys would be able to be a therian of one of the most humble creatures in mythology. Wow. Whether it is true or not, it is how I feel. I don't go round telling people " OH LOOK AT ME, IM A BIG POWERFUL DRAGONKIN WITH SPECIAL POWERS AND A TRAGIC PAST LIFE!!!". Unfortunately, many people who think they are dragons DO actually think that way.

The way I look at dragons are not the typical mythical beasts that appear in mythology, I see them as something quite different. But all that is personal.

Elidolente
August 16th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Heh...Interesting Draconicwolf, I actually have a bit of a different and opposite thing going on with me. I almost feel like a wolf all the time (nowadays) and it is likely that the Dragon is a past life (a past life of what? I have no idea...it is just what it seems like).

Ya, overall I do not like the Dragony-parts of me and will usually not even mention it when people ask my theriotype >.> it is still pretty alien to my mind, and it has been hard to accept it since I contemplated it. *shrugs* one day I will stop the utterly foolish denial and just stop whining about it :D until then I am going to be an unhappy dragon-wolf therian.

DragonicWolf
August 17th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Being a skeptical person, I sometimes wonder about my dragony theories. Either way, no one really needs to know apart from myself, so it doesn't really matter. When people ask me, I do not reveal my dragon side unless they ask specifically. There was once I did a random card reading for myself questioning my dragon side, and the card specifically told me that I am doubting it,and to believe in my theory and embrace it, which was really creepy, cause there are so many cards in that deck , and I could have gotten any other one of them which are extremely irrelevant.

Anyway, I just get really sick and tired of other 'dragonkin' telling everyone how special and powerful they are at random. Therefore dragonkin getting overall a really bad name.

Violet
August 17th, 2009, 08:33 AM
This has been a fascinating read as my husband recently found he was dragonkin..or at least finally got in tune with it, he's always been drawn to dragon type things, but he sees himself as more of a chinese dragon than anything, he has wings but he says he has the more classical body of the chinese just a little more bulky. He says that part of him just takes a back seat, watching things, observing. He sees more than most people but doesn't share unless he feels its important. Savage's repost sounds very similar to him when he's in that 'mode' as he also identifies as a vampire which he says is more animalistic.

One thing i have noted is being able to feel and read auras i've noticed, when he is vampire his aura feels very cold to the touch, when he is dragon it's like he is on fire, he doesn't feel hot, eg his body doesn't and he says he doesn't feel hot, but i cannot sit near him when he is flaring like that. I find it interesting as my aura is warmer when i'm phantom or mental shifting, but not burning hot. It's odd and i intend to see what else i can discover about that dragon in him.

As with the whole breathing fire thing, i haven't asked him about that and the dragon is stll settling in,although i say that, its more that the dragon is prefectly comfortable and he's coming to terms with it lol I'm glad this thread is here i hadn't noticed it before and i'll get my husband to give it a read. But from feeling his aura and reading the possibilities about breathing fire if dragons were a physical being..i am unsure, if dragons are reptilian in natujre then natujrally they should have a colder aura..so could it be the internal fire that makes him so hot? i don't know..and i wonder if we'll ever know in this lifetime.

Personally i don't relate much at all to savage's repost, especially with the wolf...doesn't sound much like the wolf at all, she is at the mercy of the power of nature and she respects that, she is a natural instinctive animal, yet she is also intelligent and uses her insight into nature to guide my decisions. Its that insight that has opened my human side to spirituality and its the human in me that associates more with what savage posted. Humans seek out power i guess, but wolves respect the power, which is why..i think anyway, wolves feel drawn to people yet run away at the same time, they fear and respect them at the same time, i have much respect for my husband, not just because i love him, but the wolf can feel the power he exudes...so its a very interesting experience to say the least, yet at the same time i do not bow to it, i work with it. Wolvs are sentient, that i know. but not to the extreme of humans and dragons, its a different level, but they feel things differently and its very hard to explain unless you know the feelings.

Ok i've said my piece... :) my internet connection will probably disappear before i post..i hope it doesn't.

Raqui
August 18th, 2009, 11:33 PM
As with the whole breathing fire thing, i haven't asked him about that and the dragon is stll settling in,although i say that, its more that the dragon is prefectly comfortable and he's coming to terms with it lol I'm glad this thread is here i hadn't noticed it before and i'll get my husband to give it a read.

If he's just learning about his dragonside, I wouldn't show him this thread. It's too much information, it would just confuse him and possibly cause him to jump to some conclusions. Wait until he's learned more by himself.