PDA

View Full Version : OCD, anyone?

SilverTiger
May 7th, 2009, 03:38 PM
There was a thread in another forum called 'Disabilities in Kin' and it was very popular, even if the title sounded a bit... off.

It was basically discussing how many Otherkin have/once had a mental disabilitie of some sort in ratio to how many there was, and they were trying to spot a correlation with that. I was really intrigued by the OCD part of that thread; some of them were crazy! ^^ *No offense to them of course. :p*

So, I was wondering if any of you guys had OCD's of any sort? I have it quite bad.

I can't touch paper. Yup, I know it sounds weird, but when I write, I cover up my whole hand with my sleeve. I wont write if I have no sleeve, and if its in a dire situation, I borrow peoples clothes to put over my hand.

Thats right; I can't read books properly and I can't read papers properly and I can't even think about touching paper, because it hurts my hand. (... Yesh.) I can't even hold paper for a few seconds without cringing and throwing it everywhere!

I be a strange kitty cat. XD

EDIT: the doctors solved this recently. XD

Arawn
May 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I have a tendency to drive in circles. I don't like going home the same way that I got somewhere unless I really have to. I also can't touch chalk...the feel makes me squirm. There's other things, but those're the main two.

Kaye Sweetbriar
May 7th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I have OCD. I wash my hands constantly and in the winter, they get really chapped because the air is so dry.

Also, I'm pretty finicky about keeping both sides of my body balanced. By that, I mean I have to step over cracks in the sidewalk the same number of times for both feet. When I eat Skittles or M&Ms, I have to eat one of the same colour on both sides of my mouth.

Those are the best examples I have. I've been like this since I was a kid. It got better for awhile but came back in full force about seven to eight years ago.

moonwolf
May 7th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Whoosh, I've got plenty of these, though most of them only make people comment on how organized I am, like always hanging the house key on the same hook when I come in, and putting the dog's leash on the same place on the shelf. But a weird one is, I can't stand to have the TV in my bedroom turned off when I am not in there. Who's to see it? I don't know. But it makes me nervous to turn off the TV.

Loh
May 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Hmm, now, as I understand it, OCD implies severe, repetitive actions which are performed as a ritual, usually due in part to the patient's fear of some sort of misfortune befalling them if this ritual is not performed.

If I may ask, particularly to Silver and Kay, do you each feel that there is some kind of terrible "misfortune" that will happen if you don't take your precautions?

I remember watching a fascinating program about OCD where a young woman felt that she had to have her parents touch all of her food before she ate it, or else she would vomit uncontrollably in front of others. Another person had to place out piles and piles of toilet paper before using the bathroom, or he believed that he would defecate on himself in public. (They both seemed to be socially linked anxieties.)

For me, the only weird habit (I don't really think it's an OCD thing) that I have is I can't wear shorts. Especially not skirts. Even though I shave my legs daily, I simply feel ridiculously uncomfortable and vulnerable in any pants that are shorter than shin-length. Yet tank tops give me no worry. Hmm.

Anuolf
May 7th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure if these can be classified as a true OCD thing [as described by Loh], but these are some very strong quirks that impact my life to some degree.

I don't like my hands feeling dirty for any amount of time unless I'm working in a garden/yard/planter/etc. If they feel dirty I need to wash my hands, if there's no sink I'll look for a water bottle or ice, if that's not available, I'll use my own spit. All just to keep my hands from feeling dusty, gritty, dirt covered, etc. I can't stand it if I can't even use spit to clean them... It makes me cringe and I end up keeping my hands very still, and can't have any skin touching between the fingers or palms.

I also can't have pimples or large, noticeable blackheads on me... anywhere. If there is, I'll pop/pick at it until it's gone or just too painful to continue [I've made my eyes water before]. I often do this when I'm stressed or bored and often times I will not realize I am doing it.

Lanina
May 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Nope, nothing like it.

I've heard that many kids go through a phase that reminds of OCD. The children will have overactive imagination and think that they'll get bad luck unless they go down stairs in a particular way, for example. I had plenty of those kind of quirks when I was a kid, but they disappeared and I never felt anxious if I by some reason couldn't go through my routine.

slyfor
May 7th, 2009, 05:46 PM
i dont like writing with pencils.. seriouly, dont ask me about that one, i just dont like the feeling i get from it or something, and i like cringe whenever i have to write something with a pencil.

is that OCD? or just a quirk?

also, is the bad habit of chewing up stuff a OCD?

wolffriend
May 7th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I have slight OCD-like tendancies but they come and go. Nothing terribly huge. Usually it involves me touching things compulsively (like the tip of a pencil) or all sides of a dice or something like that. I wouldn't say I have OCD though.

Loh
May 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM
From the National Institute of Mental Health:

What is Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder?

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, OCD, is an anxiety disorder and is characterized by recurrent, unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and/or repetitive behaviors (compulsions). Repetitive behaviors such as handwashing, counting, checking, or cleaning are often performed with the hope of preventing obsessive thoughts or making them go away. Performing these so-called "rituals," however, provides only temporary relief, and not performing them markedly increases anxiety.

Most of the actions described in this thread are more akin to quirks than true OCD, which is a disabling condition. But I do believe there is a category for individuals who have coping problems with certain tactile experiences, like Silver's issue with paper, or Sly's dislike of pencils. *Frown* But I can't remember what that category is called.

Edited to add: AHA! I found it. Sensory Processing Disorder. One website actually talks about an issue with touching paper: http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/cant-stand-the-feeling-of-paper-while-writing-or-dry-materials.html

Here is a site about Sensory Processing Disorder: http://www.spdfoundation.net/aboutspd.html

Kaye Sweetbriar
May 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM
If I may ask, particularly to Silver and Kay, do you each feel that there is some kind of terrible "misfortune" that will happen if you don't take your precautions?

Note: It's Kaye, with an "e". =P

Answer!: If I don't wash my hands whenever they feel "dirty", I get this severe uneasy feeling. I bounce my knee and jerk until I can get to a sink with soap. As for the eating and walking habits, if I don't do that, I tend to start leaning to whatever side is "out of whack," the one that has less of whatever it is that I am trying to balance out.

So yes, it is OCD since it's an anxiety thing and these are "rituals," as the definition you described infers. I also have the cleaning thing in that I have to clean up if anything "dirty" touches anything "clean." I'll refuse to use any "dirty" item if it hasn't been cleaned, preferably with soap and water.

Also, I have to use specific things a lot, notably school supplies. Five Star notebooks and folders are the big ones but also are the types of pencils I use. They're mechanical pencils made by Pentel, the Techniclick II style with .05 lead.

Warrick
May 7th, 2009, 07:16 PM
OCD is often confused with OCPD as well; just throwing that out there, since it is also a related disorder, like SPD.

As for myself, I like to dance around in my room to music from time to time. Door shut and locked. Even when no one is home, and I know no one is home. Every so often I'll stop dancing; pause the music and listen to make sure no one has come into the house. This could be followed by running up the stairs to check outside depending on how I'm feeling. ... If I hear a noise, or think I hear a noise I'll stop and do much the same thing; except this usually ends up with me checking the entire house. ... This sounds more like paranoia to me though. But the OCD part would be, before I can start dancing to said music, I have to quietly say out loud: "No one can see me, or hear me.. now." And that is followed by, either then shutting the door, clapping my hands or making some sound that sounds loud enough to me to have 'made the spoken statement true'.

Otherwise I'll continuously start and stop the music, pace, look around, get nervous, check things. Go in and out of my room on nonsensical whims to check more things. And generally just be unsettled.

It's quite a trip. ... I'll also do quite the same thing if I, for one reason or another, think I'm being watched. No one could be around, but I'll swear... someone or some thing can see me. >_>

I also hate touching bowls, plates, glass or chalkboards... anything with a certain texture. I don't think its quite SPD. Its just these particular textures I can't for the life of me describe but when I touch them it has the effect of the unpleasant tinglings running through the body, like scratching ones nails down said chalkboard. Ick!

Loh
May 7th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Thank you, Kaye. XD I appreciate your response! It's incredibly informative for you to share your experiences with OCD. I simply hope it doesn't interfere with the quality and joy of your life. Do you find that dealing with it has become easier over the years, or harder?

Kaye Sweetbriar
May 7th, 2009, 07:57 PM
To be honest, it is kind of both. It is easier because I am so used to this being the way I see and experience the world but harder because of the anxiety attached to it. That said, I still enjoy sports and activities, I just have to do things a little differently at times.

If you want an overall answer, I would say it's harder, though. I have to spend more time doing things and make sure that I'm near a bathroom if the need to wash my hands comes up. I really hate using hand sanitizer because it tastes bad (I have a habit of licking my fingers at times, too, if I touch something "dirty" but only brush it or it only touches a fingertip. Weird, I know), dries out my hands and makes my nose itch from the scent of alcohol.

I make my boyfriend wash his hands before he touches me, too, if I think his hands are "dirty." I can tell it irks him but he accepts it as a part of who I am.

Loh
May 7th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Although I know in some situations, it isn't always practical due to money reasons, but I have heard some very successful stories of people with OCD overcoming their rituals and fears through psychological therapy. The tv special I spoke of earlier, which featured the girl who had to have her parents touch her food, actually filmed her going through a specialized OCD psychological program (these were one on one sessions), and with this help, she was eventually completely freed of her compulsion!

Perhaps one day, you too can find an OCD based psychologist who can help you through your condition, since it does seem to interfere on some levels with your happiness.

Until then, have you ever considered an online help community?

Again, I want to thank you for being so open. Your insight may even become helpful to other OCD individuals here on the Werelist. <3

Magoo-Tora
May 7th, 2009, 10:54 PM
People can have OCD tendencies, but real cases of OCD are much more impacting on a person's life. It's hard for them to funtion normally.

WolfVanZandt
May 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I could easily develop a compulsion. I intentionally will not go back and check to see if I locked my door. I'd rather let someone walk into my house and steal everything I have than get to where I have to go back and check the lock two or three times before I can finally go to work. Mental health is more important to me than my possessions.

Warrick
May 8th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I could easily develop a compulsion. I intentionally will not go back and check to see if I locked my door. I'd rather let someone walk into my house and steal everything I have than get to where I have to go back and check the lock two or three times before I can finally go to work. Mental health is more important to me than my possessions.

In that sense, I wish one of my friends thought more like you! Heh. She will go and lock her door; re-check it numerous times before getting in to bed. And then sometimes she'll forget she checked it, or will doubt herself on checking and go to check it again. (Sometimes walking only halfway back from just checking it!)

Admittedly... it's fun to watch.

kyro
May 8th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Eh, most of mine are simply quirks. I work on cars a lot and do pretty much anything i need to do on them myself. My biggest problem with this is I absolutely can't stand to get even the smallest amount of grease on my hands or arms. I'll wear latex gloves but they just get torn or get in the way and i'll have shop towels everywhere for the simplest of things. Kinda sad...then it's all i can do to get that crap washed off in time. Same sort of deal is i have to dry my hands immediately after i wash them or i've been wet sanding a car at work.

Other things are how certain tools and supplies have to be specific and i get pissed if i can't always find exact replacement stuff. If i loose a pocket knife i have to go out and buy the exact one or better, if i break a tool at work...same deal.

night.rain
May 8th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I know how you feel! I have a similar problem, except with unfinished wood. I can't touch wooden cooking spoons unless they are covered in a super smooth finish. ^_^;

SilverTiger
May 8th, 2009, 02:45 AM

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, OCD, is an anxiety disorder and is characterized by recurrent, unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and/or repetitive behaviors (compulsions). Repetitive behaviors such as handwashing, counting, checking, or cleaning are often performed with the hope of preventing obsessive thoughts or making them go away. Performing these so-called "rituals," however, provides only temporary relief, and not performing them markedly increases anxiety.

Most of the actions described in this thread are more akin to quirks than true OCD, which is a disabling condition. But I do believe there is a category for individuals who have coping problems with certain tactile experiences, like Silver's issue with paper, or Sly's dislike of pencils. *Frown* But I can't remember what that category is called.

Edited to add: AHA! I found it. Sensory Processing Disorder. One website actually talks about an issue with touching paper: http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/cant-stand-the-feeling-of-paper-while-writing-or-dry-materials.html

Here is a site about Sensory Processing Disorder: http://www.spdfoundation.net/aboutspd.html

Yes! Thank you, Loh, for the link!! *tackle-glomps you* I was not
to really sure what to call it... my school sent me to a.. um... I forgive you for spelling here, I could never spell this word... I will spell it how it sounds.

Sy-ci-a-trist?

Yeah, I was sent there, because it was really messing up school work. ):

Edit: LOH, I LOVE YOU. This link is EXACTLY like what I have!! I use tracing paper, too! :D *sniffles* Answers... precious answers... ;w;

Amourosa Wolfsight
May 8th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I never say I have a mental illness unless a professional backs me up. Never. I've seen too many people assume they have OCD or ADHD or Bipolar or even psychosis and it's insulting to the people who actually have those conditions. Okay, that was the rant.

I was diagnosed with OCD about five years ago. My obsessive thoughts were about killing my mother in her sleep, and I had to do something repetitively with my hands to make me feel "sure" I wouldn't do it. If I didn't do something (usually washing or self-mutilation) I was 100% positive I was going to lose control of my body and stab my mother to death with a 9 and 3/4 inch chef's knife.
I did some therapy and worked through it and I'm all better now. I'm still a bit tactile defensive (sensory processing disorder?) but it's really brought on by stress.

The thing about OCD is that it's not genetic. It's an anxiety disorder that anyone can get, so I'm not sure how it would relate too much to therianthropy except for a tendency to develop anxiety disorders, in which case the spectrum would have to be widened to include all of them--which would be a moot discussion.

Now, synesthesia would be a really interesting one, since it's a blending of the senses. We all start out as synesthetes and then our brains categorize the senses. Maybe therians haven't totally categorized "primal" from socially accepted urges and our brains are trying to make some sense out of the contradiction. I don't know. My theory changes at least twice a week. *sigh*

DragonicWolf
May 8th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I never say I have a mental illness unless a professional backs me up. Never. I've seen too many people assume they have OCD or ADHD or Bipolar or even psychosis and it's insulting to the people who actually have those conditions. Okay, that was the rant.Yup... some people online even claimed to have Autism (which is a very serious and sad mental disorder) when they obviously dont. People nowadays, ive noticed, like to label themselves with a big shiny "mental disorder" label, and are PROUD of it. I see some people say "I have Autism and im PROUD!". Those people, obviously, DONT have Autism. I personally dont believe in personality 'disorders'. To me these are simply, personalities and individualistic traits. (unless they harm the individual in one way or another). Aspergers is also a very popular lable people seem to give themselves now. They say " I am a self diagnosed aspie! IM SO SPEHUL!" . I have problems socializing and interaction, but those are just traits.

-end of rant, i dont want to get too out of hand here-

OCD... i dont think i have ocd. ^^" Sorry I could not contribute much more except for a rant because i personally do not know much about OCD.

slyfor
May 8th, 2009, 08:25 AM

i wouldnt really call it problems.. i mean, i can still write with a pencil perfectly fine, i just dislike it, it gives me like, a weird feeling thats hard to describe. but i wouldnt go as far as to calling it a disorder personally. i'd say its just a quirk

DragonicWolf
May 8th, 2009, 08:33 AM
i wouldnt really call it problems.. i mean, i can still write with a pencil perfectly fine, i just dislike it, it gives me like, a weird feeling thats hard to describe. but i wouldnt go as far as to calling it a disorder personally. i'd say its just a quirk

Most people do, actually. A few people I know say they have OCD because they like to keep their room tidy and if they see something out of place they just HAVE to fix it. But i wouldn't call that a personality 'disorder' right?

As my previous post suggested, i think many people are abusing the terms, and make it more difficult for people who REALLY have these disorders to seek help.

Amourosa Wolfsight
May 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM
OCD is *much* more serious and life-disrupting than the majority of people who claim to have it realize. It really drives me nuts. If you're actually OCD 1) you need help because you can get over it and 2) you don't *want* to tell people about it. Why would I ever tell someone that I used to cut and burn myself in the mornings so I didn't lose control of my body and kill my mother in her sleep--and then be proud of it? I didn't think I was special, and if that was being special, I sure as hell didn't want to be special.

SilverTiger
May 8th, 2009, 01:37 PM
OCD is *much* more serious and life-disrupting than the majority of people who claim to have it realize. It really drives me nuts. If you're actually OCD 1) you need help because you can get over it and 2) you don't *want* to tell people about it. Why would I ever tell someone that I used to cut and burn myself in the mornings so I didn't lose control of my body and kill my mother in her sleep--and then be proud of it? I didn't think I was special, and if that was being special, I sure as hell didn't want to be special.

Hah, I was just talking to a friend of mine who works in a metal health ward, he confirms the fact that I might very well have SPD. A branh of it called 'Sensory defensiveness', in fact. I am seeing a doctor ASAP about it, becuase I seriously need to get it fixed.

I have a friend who pretends to have 'ADHD'.

Prowl
May 8th, 2009, 02:19 PM
The only mental quirk that I'm aware of in regard to myself is this deep-seated belief that I am a tiger in human form...

;)

Alunia
May 8th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Gawsh, just had to reply after reading the first two posts, totally bowled me over :D I have that paper obsession, but in a little bit of a different way, I just cannot STAND the feel of it and get very upset when I have to write if my sleeve can't tug over my hands >_< same with toothbrushing, I go haywire if I have to brush my teeth with the slightest bit of wet on the handle of my toothbrush, I can't do it, I flip if someone stops me whilst i'm brushing my teeth, I just can't stop til it's done :D and it has to be frothy, the sound and feel of it is nails on a chalk board for me :D

And the body balancing thing ? YES ! If I step on one of those little... things on the pavement, with the initials FH on xD Then I have to step on the next one with my other foot, and I watch fences to make sure I step beside each post with even number of steps on either feet, I can just -feel- uneven unless I do the same thing with my other side. Works with plenty of other things like waving, winking etc >_< and drawing stars with my fingertips/feet, always evening things out :) ahh so awesome !

*ducks* since later posts got a bit grumpy, i'd just like to add i'm not claiming to have a disorder ^^ but it's fun to hear other people's AHHHH's ! ^_^

moonwolf
May 8th, 2009, 05:01 PM
In that sense, I wish one of my friends thought more like you! Heh. She will go and lock her door; re-check it numerous times before getting in to bed. And then sometimes she'll forget she checked it, or will doubt herself on checking and go to check it again. (Sometimes walking only halfway back from just checking it!)
Admittedly... it's fun to watch.

I have trained myself by intense self-talking to not go back and check the door lock when I am going somewhere. Where I mess up is when I go to bed. I guess it's because I'm tired and feel more vulnerable, but I have to check the front door lock several times before I can relax and go to sleep.

Loh
May 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Hah, I was just talking to a friend of mine who works in a metal health ward, he confirms the fact that I might very well have SPD. A branh of it called 'Sensory defensiveness', in fact. I am seeing a doctor ASAP about it, becuase I seriously need to get it fixed.

I have a friend who pretends to have 'ADHD'.

Woo! I am so happy for you, Silver! And I bet you'll do awesome during your recovery, especially since you have such an enthusiasm to overcome it. You'll have to keep us posted on your progress. XD Jeeze, that's really great!

And yes, there do seem to be some mental health disorders that have oddly come across as trendy, and the occasional individual may happily apply the label to themselves when they only display mild, noninvasive quirks. For whatever reason, Asperger's is one of those ridiculously popular "diagnoses" to give yourself these days.

OCD is also widely misunderstood and self diagnosed, as is ADD, and, strangely, dyslexia. Why people go out of their ways to convince themselves and others that they are "special" in this way is beyond me, but during my high school experience, it was definitely everywhere.

SilverTiger
May 8th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Woo! I am so happy for you, Silver! And I bet you'll do awesome during your recovery, especially since you have such an enthusiasm to overcome it. You'll have to keep us posted on your progress. XD Jeeze, that's really great!

And yes, there do seem to be some mental health disorders that have oddly come across as trendy, and the occasional individual may happily apply the label to themselves when they only display mild, noninvasive quirks. For whatever reason, Asperger's is one of those ridiculously popular "diagnoses" to give yourself these days.

OCD is also widely misunderstood and self diagnosed, as is ADD, and, strangely, dyslexia. Why people go out of their ways to convince themselves and others that they are "special" in this way is beyond me, but during my high school experience, it was definitely everywhere.

Thank you, Loh! ~<3! That darn paper thing has caused me nothing but trouble... I acutally run away when people turn the pages of a book, or when they run their fingers, following the lines when reading something. *Shiver* I can't stand it; it makes my hands hurt even though I am not touching any paper, which is quite an odd thing to have. o.O

I'll keep you updated as much as I can, first I would have to be able to hold a piece of paper for more than thrity seconds... that'll be an achievement. XD

So many people in the school say that they are dyslexic, its unbelieveable. They write ONE LETTER back to front once, and then 'OMG WE B SPESHAL NEEDZ LOL'. Uh, no. Its quite insulting to the people that actually have it! >:/

Amourosa Wolfsight
May 8th, 2009, 05:32 PM

I second this! Congratulations! I hope you make some progress on that real soon!

Oblivian
May 10th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I hate the feeling of my face or hands being dirty. What I class as dirty seems to be a sort of oily dirt - but I have no problems with garden work-dirt. When I had practical work experience during my 3 years of becoming a carmechanic, I'd wash my hands.. about.. 5-20 times/day, depending on what/how much I'd do. I wash my face with water several times/day because I hate the feeling of it not being "dry and clean", and then use moisturiser to help the skin recover (which of course causes the skin to go "oily" faster and so the wheel turns).
I especially hate it when my nose feels oily, and I'll brush my hands/sleeves/arms at it to make sure I take away as much natural skin-fat from the skin as possible.

I don't consider any of these disorder-connected, because if I focus enough on something I forget about them completely.

I love having things 'equal' in cupboards. Like, three glasses per line, equal amounts of plates in two piles next to each other. With cutlery I put an amount that looks 'equal' depending on the space allowed each kind of piece (like knives have two spaces of which one is larger, so I'll make them cover equally).
I loathe dirty stowes. First thing I did at my ex' place was spending half an hour cleaning the top of it because it was filthy and disgusting. Same thing with washbasins in bathrooms - if it's somewhere I'm feeling enough at home.

If someone I deem as "dirty", or just somehow really dislike, touches something - like a doorhandle - and I touch it afterwards I feel the intense need to wash my hands.

Again, nothing I have to follow, and I don't feel that something bad will happen if I don't do these things - I just prefer to do so. Quirks, I guess.

Raqui
May 10th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Ha, I just realized that as I was reading this thread I was doing this clicky-thing on my mouse. Whenever i'm at the computer I contantly click the mouse. I try to keep it feeling even, like if I click the left mouse button hard, I have to click the right one just as hard, and the scroll button too. I almost never even notice it, but it drives my mom crazy when I'm showing her something on the computer ("Can you stop clicking for two seconds? ERRGG!") Also I have specific ways I touch the keyboard, like if my hand brushes a certain key or I think about typing it but I don't, I have to push the key all the way. These things are much worse when I'm thinking about them. And if I push on one part of my finger or it brushes the wrong way, I have to go back and do it again the other direction. I'm go a real craving to push The W key right now. I'm not usually near this bad, it's only because I'm thinking about it.

Really, people ar just insane. It's fundamental. if you psychoanalyze anyone, you can find signs of at least one mental illness.

Toji
May 11th, 2009, 12:09 AM
My psychiatrist actually diagnosed me with this, along with ADHD and Epilepsy (the latter is a minor case).
I MUST keep my room clean. If it isn't i get really, really iritable. I organize everything in patterns, whether it is shoes (tallest to shortest), or dishes (larger on bottom smaller on top; cups on left, silverware placed into cups according to usage). My dressers are also organized according to what they are, and then PP (Personal Prefrence). My personal library is alphabitized by authors lastname, genre, and then by PP. This goes for music as well. My school binders are organized according to PP, and then by amount of usage (i.e. if it is used often, it's in front).

Ceomar
May 12th, 2009, 02:17 PM
The only thing I can really think of is if I feel suddenly like I'm going to be poisoned (and this happens fairly often) I will not eat or drink whatever it is I'm consuming completely so that I won't die from the poison.

Later, I read a book on King Henry VIII and found that one of this men were poisoned, but because he didn't finish his soup, he didn't die. I thought that was creepy.

Kaye Sweetbriar
May 12th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Howso? I would imagine that he didn't die because whoever poisoned the bowl of soup had only put enough poison to be fatal. So since he didn't finish the soup, he didn't die because he didn't ingest enough poison to die.

Ceomar
May 13th, 2009, 03:40 PM
It was something along the lines of the big pot of soup got poisoned that him and his servants were to eat. His servants all died, but because he wasn't well, he didn't consume very much and only got extremely sick from it.

I read it in The Six Wives of King Henry VIII. It was Anne Boleyn that had him poisoned.

SilverTiger
May 19th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Thought I'd just update this, for news about me. :p

I went to see a doctor today, who ruled out my paper thing as a phobia after I told her everything. However, I told her that it wasnt a phobia, because I wasnt scared of paper! She then said she had never seen anything like it in her life; so yeah, I am off to a psychologist. :) (HOPEFULLY)

I am in a bit of a jam, though, because I am doing my exams on a laptop due to the paper thing, I am typing too slowly, and I dare say I flopped my enlgish test today. D: Will it ever get better?! XD

Well, it should hopefully be fixed soon! :D

WhiteFox
May 19th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Well, typing can improve if you just practice it, it's one of the easier work skills to learn; relatively.

Just work on it over the summer and you should be good to go by the time school rolls around again.

As for the OP, I have nothing here.

It feels weird sometimes, because on both here and other forums I go to it seems like EVERYONE has at least one mental issue...and I feel oddly too healthy. It's caused me to question modern day living and my own sanity a few times.

The Wanderer
May 19th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I don't have OCD; I often feel compelled to fold things, paper, plastic bags, towels, etc, but not obsessively so. My father has a similar behavior, so I may have learned it from him.

Ceomar
May 19th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I'm glad to hear you're getting on the right track to overcoming your hatred of touching paper. I hope it goes smoothly and quickly for you!

As for typing, it was easy to learn. I took one semester of it in highschool when my mom forced me to. Dare I say I thanked her for it later. It's just a matter of knowing where keys are. It was all learned through a program. The teacher just sat there and watched. I'm sure you could pick a good one up at a computer store somewhere.

Kaye Sweetbriar
May 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM
About the typing: I can type ~100 WPM. This can be done without looking at the screen and/or while holding a conversation with another person at the same time. (My mom finds this irritating because she can type about 30 WPM.)
I used to barely be able to type 25 WPM. What changed?

I joined pogo.com and ended up roleplaying with a bunch of people there while playing games. you have to be able to type fast in order to get your stuff in before other people's posts, so it's pretty competitive. Sure, I had to eventually train myself in 8th grade to type "to/two/too" instead of "2" but that's still nothing.
I'd recommend a similar setting. Have a posting war with a friend over IM throughout the summer, just spamming each other back and forth. But make sure that it's full sentences and such. You'll improve your typing speed greatly.

Oblivian
May 24th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I used to write with two fingers only, very slowly. Now I can (most of the time) write.. maybe 100 words/minute? I wouldn't know since I've never counted or timed it. I can type page after page blindfolded and correct myself or only make as many mistakes as when I can see the keyboard.
How did it come to this? eh.. msn..

Oh yeah, I'm sort of obsessive with looking at myself in every surface that reflects me well enough not to give a completely odd-looking reflection (like cars). I analyze my hips, collarbones, waist, inner thighs to find out in how good shape I really am (which is a lot better than weighing yourself, I guarantee it).. etc..

JPR
May 24th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I have OCD, a shrink diagnosed me with it when I was younger. I turn somethings in a certain direction and in school I have like a set path that I walk from class to class that I dont normally stray from and if I do I just dont feel right and it bugs the crap out of me. I have a whole list of things I do in the morning when I wake up before I can even function. I do a few other things but I cant really think of them right now.

weredog717
May 28th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I have been diagnosed with severe depression. I get so depressed I just want to die, and I've been known to have terrible panic attacks. What helps me through it may seem silly, but it works and that is holding a stuffed dog. I've tried other stuffed animals but they don't work near as well. I carry a stuffed dog everywhere in a backpack now.
Choosing the right dog was difficult. It couldn't show dirt easily because if I saw it getting dirty I'd worry it was going to fall apart. It had to be the right shape so that I could easily sew a second skin for it if it began to degrade and could not be sewn or patched. I have a tendency to worry that people and animals I love will die and things I love will fall apart. I went through a few dogs but none fit the bill. Finally I settled on Rusty, a rust colored Pound Puppy. He won't show dirt easily, his shape makes it easy to make a same shaped pillow to hold his body should he start to deteriorate and he reminds me of happy childhood memories ( though my original childhood pound puppy was a grey bulldog ). I panic if I can't have him with me.
In addition, I hate the feel of balloons. It makes me feel like vomiting. If there's even a balloon in the room with me I get nauseous. Also I feel uncomfortable eating anywhere but my own home. I had a hell of a time when we first moved here. For awhile I had to eat in the car.

BlackWolf
May 28th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I think I do. I wash my hands ALOT, and everytime I get home from town.
I read in a body language book that washing your hands is a anxiety thing, and sometimes it's if you feel guilty and are "washing away" your guilt.
Self-soothing techniques I guess.

And I'm a germaphobe..not too bad, since I love being outside of course, but yeah if i touch something that's gross i'll immediately wash my hands.

SilverTiger
May 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Bawwww, I am such a freak. D:

Today, my dad gave me these discount ticket things for this sweet shop I like; but it was in a paper bag (a pink and white striped bag; you know, the ones you get sweets in at shops?). I wasnt thinking, and reached out for it, and as soon as my hand brushed against it, I flipped, jumped, lashed out at my dad subconciously (he done an expert dogde) and ran out of the room. D: GOD It was horrible!!

Sweet bags feel the worst. ;w;
Then normal paper.
Then brown-bag paper.
Then cartriage paper.
Then tracing paper!

D: But, I know it sounds wierd, but when I hit my hand, the paper-hurting stops... O.O;;

Loh
May 28th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Bawwww, I am such a freak. D:

Today, my dad gave me these discount ticket things for this sweet shop I like; but it was in a paper bag (a pink and white striped bag; you know, the ones you get sweets in at shops?). I wasnt thinking, and reached out for it, and as soon as my hand brushed against it, I flipped, jumped, lashed out at my dad subconciously (he done an expert dogde) and ran out of the room. D: GOD It was horrible!!

Aw, that's too bad. I was hoping you would say that you grabbed the bag without thinking and it didn't bother you. Not quite there yet though. =3 That's okay, you'll make it!

Are you making any progress with a psychologist? Have you started any therapy?

<3

SilverTiger
May 29th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Aw, that's too bad. I was hoping you would say that you grabbed the bag without thinking and it didn't bother you. Not quite there yet though. =3 That's okay, you'll make it!

Are you making any progress with a psychologist? Have you started any therapy?

<3

Even when I wasnt thinking a bout it, it still got me. ¬¬ XD

I have been in contact with the NHS psychologists, and I am booking the proper appointment today... after I fill out some giant quiz thing that I have to take with me. o.O Nuuuuuu!

DaxterD
October 18th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I like to do things in totals of even numbers (particularly lucky number 8) and I feel I have to show my liking of animals (particularly my own theriotype) as often as possible. However, having studied OCD for Psychology A Levels, I don't think I have that. Most likely it's due to my Asperger's Syndrome and just worrying a bit too much XD

weredog717
October 18th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I'm terrified of losing my collection of toy dogs. my toy dogs are the only way I have of coping with the sickness. If I lose them I feel like I'll die. That's why I always carry a few in a backpack with me. If I can't carry the pack, I don't go. The anxiety I feel when I don't have it is terrible.

Agita
October 19th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I like to do things in totals of even numbers (particularly lucky number 8) and I feel I have to show my liking of animals (particularly my own theriotype) as often as possible. However, having studied OCD for Psychology A Levels, I don't think I have that. Most likely it's due to my Asperger's Syndrome and just worrying a bit too much XD

Hehe... teh Aspie therians, we are all a bit weird. *high-fives the Lion*

Here are a handful:

When I eat, I must separate all the different kinds of food up completely. Like, if I'm having curried whatever and rice, every rice grain must be out of there, but it still pisses me off when some of the rice has sauce on it then. However once I actually start eating, I don't separate the food anymore.

I also NEED to finish everything on my plate, even though I don't always have the most positive relationship with food. Even if it's making me feel fat or I know I'm gong to throw it up later, I still HAVE to clear my plate.

When I eat fruit especially I have to eat the peel first, starting at the middle, then eating the top all the way around and then the bottom, then I'll eat the flesh part. Peling oranges can take me about an hour. I don't mind the taste of the pith part to be honest but I feel have to peel ALL of it off Then I separate the segments. Then I bite the segment down the middle to cut the membrane bit then I peel that off and eat it. Then I eat the little 'bundles' of orange that are packed together inside the segment individually if I can.

When I was in Trinidad I had my own little mango 'ritual'. (so many fricken mangoes, the tree would drop 30 in a day sometimes) I'd always use the same knife and bowl and wash everything before I started. Then I'd peel the mango ,making sure no parts of my hand that had touched the outside would touch the inside. Then I'd wash the knife and bowl again. Then I'd hold the mango in place with a fork and cut it into little bits, then remove the bits and was everything again, THEN i could sit down and enjoy my mango in little bits with a clean fork ^^

Touching things.... I don't like to feel something on only one part of me, especially the palms of my hands, so washing them is difficult. Like if you poked the palm of my hand or my arm or whatever, I try to almost 'spread' the sensation rather than just that burning blatantly obvious feeling that lasts a while in a localised area. When I wash my hands and I touch them whilst soaping then I'm either careful to feel it all over or I'd rather not do it properly at all, wich is unhygienic XP

Actually, with alot of things I'd rather not do them properly at all if I can't do it my way. If I can't make my handwriting absolutely perfect (which VPD does not help with) rather than go nuts at one tiny imperfection I rather let all my writing be the usual spider-scrawl. If I can't make something absolutely spotless, It has to be messy. I'm either one or the other.

Vikaryous
October 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I had really severe ADD as a kid. I've more or less grown out of it now, I still have my days where it's almost impossible for me to do anything, but its mostly under control.

I have a few quirks, but none that interfere with my daily life.

weredog717
October 19th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I worry about everything. I'm in a constant state of anxiety. It's always there even now, gnawing at the back of my brain. It's something I've learned to live with, though every so often it gets to be too much and I sort of freak out. I've given up on ever being truly happy. These days I'm content if life is just bearable. I've actually had times when I thought I'd be relieved if I ever found out I was dying.

But fortunately my dogs both the real ones and the toys make it bearable most of the time, and the spark of happiness I feel whenever I add a new toy dog to the collection makes me want to keep fighting, waiting for the next score.

It ain't all bad.

en_causa_sui
October 25th, 2009, 03:56 AM
(Woops, wrong thread.) :P

Dragonslorefury
October 25th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I'm pretty sure I have OCD but I haven't gone to a doctors about it.

KittyVel
October 25th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I have mild OCD. As in, everything MUST be even, or it drives me insane, especially if there's nothing I can do to fix it. Like, when my mom was pregnant with my little sister, I wanted a brother simply because there would then be two males and two females in the house. I cried when I found out it was a girl, then tried to even out the male:female ratio using our pets. It worked out until we got a new cat, which totally threw off my balance. XD And if I touch something with one hand, I have to touch it with the other. Not using my left pinky as much in typing as my right pinky bugs me to death. I also count things by eights. Ever since I was very small and still needed water wings in the swimming pool. I wouldn't count to three before I jumped in, I would count to eight. And I count random things, like tile on the floor in a waiting room, or blinds on a window. And if I'm eating food, I have to split one bite into two so I can be chewing something on both sides of my mouth. And I worry about everything. I can't help it. I don't have it so bad that I'm a germaphobe or anything like that, though.

RedFeather
October 25th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Also, I'm pretty finicky about keeping both sides of my body balanced. By that, I mean I have to step over cracks in the sidewalk the same number of times for both feet. When I eat Skittles or M&Ms, I have to eat one of the same colour on both sides of my mouth.

Those are the best examples I have. I've been like this since I was a kid. It got better for awhile but came back in full force about seven to eight years ago.

I'm a lot like this, though I have never been diagnosed with OCD. My instances are typically minor little things that don't hugely affect my life. But, like you said, if I step over three cracks with my right foot, sometimes I feel I need to do the same with the left side, so I'm even.

I also like to do things in threes. For instance, I'll eat three M&M's or sunflower seeds or whatever, with one side of my mouth, and then alternate to the next side for the other three.

For me, it also seems to come and go. I'm a little less obsessive about things like that than I used to be, though I still have the urges to do things certain ways like that from time to time.

So, while I don't consider myself OCD, I guess I could say that I have weird little tendencies at times which remind me of OCD.

As to other problems, though... I've had depression issues my whole life, though it was only diagnosed as "depression," I think. It doesn't sound major, but it can be debilitating in certain ways. I also have social anxieties.