PDA

View Full Version : Would you be angry at someone demonising animals?

DaxterD
July 12th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I figured this needed to go on this board this time... XP

You get a lot of people out there slating or giving bad press to many animals with or without reason. Now of course, we ourselves are animals, so my question is would you be offended or show sudden anger at someone for showing hatred towards animals (calling them "killing machines" or other common stereotypes) even if that animal wasn't your own type?

Not Z
July 12th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I don't see how anyone with any sense would not be (angry at that).

It's one of the most ironic things in general; a human(s) saying that animals are evil or destructive in some way.

Stupidity still goes strong in this crappy society, and is even encouraged (easier to brainwash).

Freedom of the soul
July 12th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Yes because I hate it when they make sharks, dogs, Big cats, snakes, etc. are made to look bad. It make me mad because they don't know the animal at all or they don't show the people the whole truth.

Eter
July 12th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I don't like people who don't like animals. But hating them, no matter if they understand them or not, is too much. I would probably never talk to these people again.

Kaye Sweetbriar
July 12th, 2009, 07:06 AM
they don't show the people the whole truth.

No one ever does. They pick and choose what they need to prove their point. It's up to the other guys to prove them wrong. That's why we have debates.

But, in regards to the OP, I would be angry. I still am angry at the fact that the general public demonizes wolves, coyotes, etc. because they do not understand or that is what they've been brought up to believe. It's the same with a variety of subjects; animals is just one of many.

Oblivian
July 12th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I get pissed off when I hear people shouting out opinions that are based on nothing and that are not factual. If I can, I correct them.

Kumiho
July 12th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I have heard people describe animals as mindless creatures driven by instinct as well as mindless killing machines with no regard for anything other than themselves; both of these upset me and I immediately went into lecture mode. I described the basic social structure of dolphin pods, the parental responses of dogs who have their pups taken from them, as well as the level of intelligence shown by a multitude of animals. Then I described another animal without naming it.

It is fiercely territorial, sometimes to the point of killing anything that enters its territory, whether it poses a threat or not. It uses every resource in its territory and actively tries to prevent competition from gaining any of it. They are prone to violent outbursts more so than most other animals and they are able to kill nearly anything that they encounter. Sometimes they kill off their own young.

At that point, the small group of people were intent on me revealing the monster that I had just described. I looked at them and said, "Yup, humans can be really nasty things if you just look at all the negative they do." Shocked looks. I smile and walk away.

So, yes. I would say that I get upset when people demonize animals or portray them as mindless creatures.

Amourosa Wolfsight
July 12th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I get pissed off when I hear people shouting out opinions that are based on nothing and that are not factual. If I can, I correct them.

This is basically my reaction, but I like you're idea, Kumiho, of describing humans anonymously.

Seraphyna
July 12th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I don't know if I'd so much be angry as have the desire to slam my head against a wall. People "demonise" animals because they do not understand them, are illinformed, or have been given the wrong information entirely. Humans also like to deny that they're animals because we're "so much better" because of our complex brains and technology *eyeroll*. They don't like to understand that the one species who not only kills the most (of their own species and others) and is most detrimental to our planet is...us. So I correct them too if I hear it...it truly bugs me more because it shows the hubris and ignorance of *our* species than the fact that people are putting down other species.

NikitaDarkstar
July 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I don't see how anyone with any sense would not be (angry at that).

It's one of the most ironic things in general; a human(s) saying that animals are evil or destructive in some way.

Stupidity still goes strong in this crappy society, and is even encouraged (easier to brainwash).

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on this.

But I'll have to admit that I have a special issue with people doing it with certain dog breeds, not even bothering to look up the facts first. Rottweilers and Pitbulls are great examples of this, sure they're though dogs with a mentality that makes them far from suitable for first time dog owners, but guess what? They're not the breeds that attack people the most. According to some research FCI did a few years ago, Golden Retrivers are involved in accidents with humans the most, closely followed by Labrador Retrivers, two breeds commonly considered great family dogs.
Pretty much my pet peeve is people assume the dog is dangerous simply cause of the breed, when it's humans that make the animal dangerous, just that some breeds snap easier than others due to what they were originally bred to do.

Err and I guess I rambled abit... sorry. ^^;

DaxterD
July 12th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I have heard people describe animals as mindless creatures driven by instinct as well as mindless killing machines with no regard for anything other than themselves; both of these upset me and I immediately went into lecture mode. I described the basic social structure of dolphin pods, the parental responses of dogs who have their pups taken from them, as well as the level of intelligence shown by a multitude of animals. Then I described another animal without naming it.

It is fiercely territorial, sometimes to the point of killing anything that enters its territory, whether it poses a threat or not. It uses every resource in its territory and actively tries to prevent competition from gaining any of it. They are prone to violent outbursts more so than most other animals and they are able to kill nearly anything that they encounter. Sometimes they kill off their own young.

At that point, the small group of people were intent on me revealing the monster that I had just described. I looked at them and said, "Yup, humans can be really nasty things if you just look at all the negative they do." Shocked looks. I smile and walk away.

So, yes. I would say that I get upset when people demonize animals or portray them as mindless creatures.

That was a very clever idea. I wasn't so much shocked though... I have to admit I smiled.

It's my job really to convince people just how wrong they are about animals from cockroaches to wolves to (of course XD) lions and more besides. I can only hope it sinks in, and for some it does as they tell me they admire my dedication. I say to them "I wouldn't give up this job for the world" but of course the truth runs even deeper than that. Only people like us can guess what I really mean.

Violet
July 12th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I'm with nakitaDS about the whole dog breed thing, i get so angry when people refuse to say hello to my german shepherd pup, but will happily fuss a labrador.. they are shocked when i reveal the bite statistics for both breeds.

I've always been very anti-human so if anyone does bitch about animals i just tell them how disgustingly immoral the human race is. they usually back off, but i prefer to inform unless someone is really up their own ass about it all.

it's a tetchy subject with me, but i'm not in the mood to rant x drops head x

Oblivian
July 12th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Kumiho: WIN! Epic win!

Claycat
July 12th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I agree with what others have said. Sharks are often referred to as mindless killers, but in reality are more sophisticated than most people give them credit for. They are often selective with prey. And I do view humans as very destructive. As for territorial, I read an article once that described road rage as a territorial struggle, which makes sense to me.

Wulfie
July 12th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on this.

But I'll have to admit that I have a special issue with people doing it with certain dog breeds, not even bothering to look up the facts first. Rottweilers and Pitbulls are great examples of this, sure they're though dogs with a mentality that makes them far from suitable for first time dog owners, but guess what? They're not the breeds that attack people the most. According to some research FCI did a few years ago, Golden Retrivers are involved in accidents with humans the most, closely followed by Labrador Retrivers, two breeds commonly considered great family dogs.
Pretty much my pet peeve is people assume the dog is dangerous simply cause of the breed, when it's humans that make the animal dangerous, just that some breeds snap easier than others due to what they were originally bred to do.

Err and I guess I rambled abit... sorry. ^^;

I agree with that common misunderstanding with the dog breeds. So what if some of the breed fights...that doesn't mean the whole breed is like that. My sister has a pit bull and that thing is just like a cat really. Also I've seen other 'fighting dogs' and their just big sweethearts!

Do not dis the whole breed because of a few things you've seen people!

Josh Carter
July 12th, 2009, 11:55 PM
What people need to remember is that it is not the dog, but how the owner raises it.

Wulfie
July 12th, 2009, 11:57 PM
What people need to remember is that it is not the dog, but how the owner raises it.

Exactly! Now I have had a rott chase me for no reason what-so-ever.....maybe it didn't like cats but still...it was probably just raised wrong.

GestaltZe
July 13th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I have to recall an incident a few months ago, where a 'pet' chimpanzee mauled a couple people. The reaction to that made me angry. An EXPERT officially stated that the animals were dangerous and unpredictable, and that's just not true. If you take an adult animal and treat it like a child its whole life, it will become frustrated and, yes, possibly aggressive. This says nothing against chimpanzees, it says something against humans.

So yes, it makes me angry.

But you know what else makes me angry? When people refuse to see the 'flaws', so to speak, or the less than 'honorable' qualities of certain species. This is a very easily observed trend here, where people have the tendency to put their theriotypes on pedestals. It's important to remember that all animals (including humans) have their own unique qualities (whether they seem 'good' or 'bad') for a reason, and it's no more despicable to demonize an animal than it is to idolize them.
Not pointing fingers or trying to make any sort of profound point, I'm just saying...

Netherpuppy
July 13th, 2009, 12:17 AM
i always defended animals, especially against ignorant bastards, even before i 'awakened' i can never stand to listen to jerks who constantly say how scary an animal is based on an old wives tale, or how they hate this animal becuase of the same reason. silly peoples.

NikitaDarkstar
July 13th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Actually Summoner you make a very good point there, and if you look at it from a pure saftey aspect it's probably more dangerous to idolize a creature than demonize it. But still for some reason it's easier for me to just roll my eyes and shake my head at obvious idolizing than at demonizing cause the idolizing doesn't hurt the creature in question.

weredog717
July 13th, 2009, 09:27 AM
One of the reasons I stopped going to church is because once when I was about fourteen or so I asked my pastor if animals were in heaven. He responded that they did not because they had no souls. For awhile I believed him, and I was quite upset. Then I started to think for myself. I became disgusted with the whole idea and decided I wanted no part of anyone who would disregard an animal in this way. To this day I still shun organized religion even though I still believe very strongly in God.

Akai
July 13th, 2009, 09:41 AM
For a while, I I didn't think I would be, I started thinking that some animals' nature deserved the rap. However, as I read people's responses, I understood that "demonizing" is far more than just giving them a bad rap. It's caling them the worst thing on Earth and taking actions against them. That, I cannot tolerate, animals certainly evil in that sense. Would I be mad? If they take action or start preaching it, I would certainly be mad at that! Much like how cheetahs are practically blamed for the loss of cattle in Africa. They know better than to mess with humans, don't you get it?!

GestaltZe
July 13th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Actually Summoner you make a very good point there, and if you look at it from a pure saftey aspect it's probably more dangerous to idolize a creature than demonize it. But still for some reason it's easier for me to just roll my eyes and shake my head at obvious idolizing than at demonizing cause the idolizing doesn't hurt the creature in question.

It can. Take the wolf-hybrids, for example. People breed and adopt them, treating them like family dogs and severely underestimating the 'wildness' of the animals. Then, if/when the wolf-dogs obey their natural instincts, someone gets hurt and the wolf-dogs end up euthanized.
So... Directly, I suppose it doesn't hurt animals to idolize them, but indirectly, I'd say it can be just as dangerous.

Not Z
July 13th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Remember that when people get hurt by trained/domesticated/zoo animals (ones that didn't grow up in the wild), it often has very much to do with how they were treated. Caging anybody and treating them like shit all life will make them violent (only one example). Up to this day I still read many incidents of an animal wounding or killing their owner/keeper or a random person that intentionally harassed them. They never mention the conditions in which that animal lived, how it was treated, what exactly happened during the incident, anything; only that it is 'very dangerous' and killed people, and how it affected their families/friends. In a select few cases they admit that the living conditions were bad.

One of the reasons I stopped going to church is because once when I was about fourteen or so I asked my pastor if animals were in heaven. He responded that they did not because they had no souls. For awhile I believed him, and I was quite upset. Then I started to think for myself. I became disgusted with the whole idea and decided I wanted no part of anyone who would disregard an animal in this way. To this day I still shun organized religion even though I still believe very strongly in God.

That's one of the big reasons I don't believe in many religions; among countless other reasons that show how brainwashing today's human society is.

DragonicWolf
July 13th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I get aggravated and then try prove them wrong =). Simple as that.

If I can't, then I just remain angry for a while and blame humanity for being the way they are. I cant change it all. Its just like that.

Night
July 13th, 2009, 10:52 PM
-----------------------

Two Worlds
July 14th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Yes, It pisses me off nicely. It doesn't matter what animal they are beating down, though dissing on canines pisses me off the most; obviously.

I am saddened when people think that animals have no souls especially when I'm in church. (however I have heard a few say they believe that animals do have souls but they don't believe they hold any kind of importance to God. *sigh* But at lest it's a start.) I wish I had the guts to stand up and correct them on the subject but I have only been able to do it with some of my friends and one of them still refuses to believe it even with biblical evidence. My mother is one of those that think that animals are soulless, mindless, robots that only go on instinct, yet ironically loves animals.

I'm angered when animals are being demonised. It is truly Ironic at that point.

But the thing that pisses me of the most is human supremacy.

Sackra Colvez
May 28th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Erm I get really mad when people say cats are bad or that they think it's funny if they run over them. I also hate when people are cruel to animals- including snakes and dogs which I do not really like. Please do not take offense to all you canine therians. You are all really nice- and I am in no way trying to be mean to you or your therian type.

Khahirre
May 28th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Speciesism in general bothers the heck out of me. I work closely with reptiles and the ammount of ignorance, fear, and hatred for them is ridiculous. I use my companion animals for education and outreach to help instill love and respect for animals in children; they are easier to teach the right thing that adults, I find, because their opinions haven't been colored by a lifetime of prejudice and misinformation. Plus most children have a natural affinity for animals.

WolfVanZandt
May 29th, 2010, 04:33 AM
I don't get worked up about things I can do nothing about.

Rail Aybara
May 29th, 2010, 10:29 AM
It is their own belief to hate animals, and even to discriminate against them.
In most cases people are keep going to believe what they do, even if the facts are thrown in front of them. That is my opinion for the closedminded people.
And because of that opinion, I don't even bother getting mad about other people beliefs. Sure, I think it's wrong but that won't do anything to help animals positions in the world.

Arawn
May 29th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I figured this needed to go on this board this time... XP

You get a lot of people out there slating or giving bad press to many animals with or without reason. Now of course, we ourselves are animals, so my question is would you be offended or show sudden anger at someone for showing hatred towards animals (calling them "killing machines" or other common stereotypes) even if that animal wasn't your own type?

I don't have a reason to be offended if someone didn't like animals, or even hated the animal. I'd only be angry if the person purposefully mistreated the animal and caused the animal harm, but otherwise I don't really care how a person feels about the animal.

Two Worlds
May 30th, 2010, 08:19 AM
The thing that has been bothering me is anti-(insert animal here) groups especially when there is no real reason for it. Now if someone doesn't like an animal that's fine and dandy, buy when someone makes an effort to stop the effort to protect said animal or even encourage it's distraction, that's quite another issue. On deviant art there is a group called anti-wolf and it's a group dedicated to smearing the good image of wolves that took decades to get people to see and piss all of those that hold the wolf dear. What for you ask? It must be for hunters of big game or trophy hunters you say. But no, it's because, "they're too popular." Holy shit I thought, that's completely asinine! The best part is that they clam other motives and that they'll engage in intelligent debate but they jump around like monkeys in a cage flinging poo (sorry if that analogy offense you) then will jump all over someone and point out how childish they are if they get pissed of and do the same. This behavior is strange and confusing to me.

cheetah
May 30th, 2010, 01:17 PM
They're Internet trolls. Admittedly extremely, extremely destructive trolls who could have actual real-world consequences and won't really go away if they are ignored, but still: trolls.

Unfortunately, my can of Troll-Be-Gone is used up. I'd suggest a coordinated attempt to block any asinine comments they make on profiles or deviations controlled by people who find them annoying. Assuming that they're simply being trollish, if one is lucky they will go to the admins, who will take one look at what they are saying and tell them to go away.

For example:

Kill the dolphins please (http://johnfaa.deviantart.com/art/Kill-the-dolphins-please-163696760?q=gallery%3Aanti-wolf%2F24231222&qo=2) I posted a response to that person's article. Probably he'll call me a dolphin-idiot and tell me to fuck off.

I'm probably getting neck-deep here, but oh well. Too late to take it back.

Two Worlds
May 30th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I tried reporting it, but I was told "it [wasn't] severe enough"

It's true there just trolls and petty ones at that, the founders are the only real threats. A group got founded just to piss them off and give them a taste of there own medican and it really gets under there skin. I don't understand trolling, thank God it doesn't happen to me in the real world. least not very long. People tend to think twice when saying stupid things trying to get under someone's skin gets a hard fist shaped object shoved into there soft face. Not that I do that. :P

But it still raises the question, why? what motivates someone to demonizes something for no reason at all? entertainment value?

cheetah
May 30th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Interestingly enough, the person I am arguing with is more intelligent than his argument makes him appear. Actually, he's highly intelligent, if prone to making sweeping broad generalizations to get people's attention.

Where's the group?

Entropy in Drag
May 30th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I like it when that happens. Being wrong about people gives me hope. :B

jaggirl92
June 4th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Yes because I hate it when they make sharks, dogs, Big cats, snakes, etc. are made to look bad. It make me mad because they don't know the animal at all or they don't show the people the whole truth.
i know the feeling.... you just want to smack them and say " hey now, get the whole story before you make _________ * fill in animal here* look bad". that's how i feel about it :3

Amourosa Wolfsight
June 4th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Now if someone doesn't like an animal that's fine and dandy, bu[t] when someone makes an effort to stop the effort to protect said animal or even encourage it's distraction, that's quite another issue.

This. It's your deal if you like or dislike an animal. But the second you try to hurt them in a way that would cause harm to the ecosystem it lives in (i.e. hunting of keystone predators, overhunting of prey animals, etc) and/or threaten the species itself, I'm going to have a serious problem with you. Whether or not I take any action on the issue depends, of course, on the circumstances.

I don't like demonizing anything that doesn't actually deserve it.

Eissenvarg
June 11th, 2010, 12:48 PM
It pisses me off, especially when the ignorance and petty opinions are held by someone who has influence over the media-addicted masses. I value freedom of speech very dearly, but i believe that "celebrities" have a duty of care not to shit-stir with careless words.
But I am just as guilty of holding sweepingly generalised oppinions about my own (biological) species. I hate people. I don't just dislike them, I regard the vast majority of Homo Sapiens as a repulsive pestilence, a contemptible disease I am ashamed to share my genotype with, at best a gaggle of half-wits to be exploited.
Most people i actually like as individuals, and i feel enormous sympathy for people in distress, its just humans collectively- humans as "humanity" or "mankind"- that get my blood boiling.

Taiyoukousen
June 11th, 2010, 02:02 PM
6 billion people, killing the Earth, creating weapons to wipe out said planet several times over, and animals are bad?

Clearly some people are tripping balls.

pyewacket
June 11th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Eissenvarg, a lot of the time I think just as you do.

And yes, it annoys me greatly. People can be so ignorant.

Juneau
June 14th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I most ceratinly would. These animals simply do what they need to to survive and certainly aren't what people stereotype them as (most of the time). The thing that seriously disappoints me though, is that humans (not all humans, but most) will cause even more death and destruction than the animals they criticize, and they think nothing of it, because they are humans.

foreverchagrin
June 14th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Original question still standing: Some animals are killing machines. Not all of them want to cuddle and be your best friend. So if the person is telling you facts then no I wouldn't be angry. If you get upset at people that simply say " Snakebites kill 125,000 people per year worldwide. The animal that has cost the most lives over all time however is the rat or the mosquito if you want big animals then the most deadly large animal in Africa is the hippo. And deer cause over half of car accidents. But yes the most dangerous animal in the world is a human. Let's not forget that but... lets not dwell on it either.
Now demonizing animals? People have been doing that since we could tell stories to each other. When we describe something "mean as a snake" "grumpy as a grizzly" etc. They are just sayings. We aren't hurting anything. Oh let me pick a good one. Wolves, ooooh wolves, children of the night, evil creature that will steal your flocks at night. And yes a long time ago they were animals that we as humans didn't understand, that is why we portrayed them as demons. Now, we understand them. More often then not in a pack they don't even hunt at night.
What I'm trying to say is animals are portrayed as demons in all kinds of stories in history from every single culture but also in most cultures they were portrayed just as equal as GODS!
If someone in this day and age is telling you an animal is evil or demonic you are talking to an ignorant moron and I suggest you just ignore them.