PDA

View Full Version : So I've finally decided to get a tatoo...Help!

Ice Blitz
August 15th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Okay, so I know there are lots of lovely people on here with tatoos, which is part of the reason I'm posting this here.

As of yet, I dont have the money for a tatoo (I have to get a job, or I wont be eating very soon). However, if and when, I get a job I plan to start saving.

What I'm looking at is something I designed myself. It's a little hard to describe, but I haven't finished drawing it yet, so I'll do my best to explain. I'd like a wolf paw with flames that spiral inwards on the smaller pads, and one large flame on the big pad. The flames will not be colored. In the flame on the large pad I'd like to put the kanji for wolf. My attempt to show my love for wolves, my therianthropy, and my obsession with fire. ^^

Here's where I request info. I'd like to get the tatoo somewhere that can be covered up (Well, I dont want to, but it would help incase I apply to a business that wants them easily covered). I've been thinking about the underside of my wrist. The big thing for me is I want something I can easily see (and photograph). I've thought about my hip, which isn't a bad idea, and I'd like it on my shoulder, but all the dresses I have are strapless, and it might not look good if I end up at a fancy dinner.

So, my questions are pretty basic. How can I tell if a place is good? I only have one friend in FL with tatoos, so recomendations are slim to none. Do you all have any other suggestions as to where I should get it? I'm sure someone can think of a place I haven't. Has anyone else here had something tatooed on the underside of their wrist? Is there a risk of bleeding? I've heard the needle doesn't go that deep, but I'm a little paranoid. ^^ Also does anyone on here have any idea what a tatoo of that size might cost? Or how they price stuff?

I'd go check out some random tatoo places, but at the moment I'm in a different city, so checking stuff out 4 hours from my home really wont to me any good.

ANY advice or help you can offer would be great.

Midnight Wanderer
August 15th, 2009, 08:42 PM
In MA they can't tattoo the underside of the wrist because of all the tendons and veins so close to the skin.

Prices vary by body part, detail and size - and the more detail, the larger the tattoo will have to be. I don't know enough to guess numbers tho.

Many jobs will require you to cover up a tattoo, so if its somewhere visible, like on your wrist, get used to long sleeves.

I don't know much more than that - I'm just starting to look into my first tattoo myself.

Seraphyna
August 15th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Alright, prepare yourself for a mini-book...here's my 15 tattoos and counting "expertise".

How can I tell if a place is good?

You have a few options. You can look up shops in your area, go in, and look at the artists' portfolios. You can join a forum, LJ group, etc. about tattoos and ask if anyone can recommend shops in your area, then go and check out portfolios. You can look up shops in your area and see if they have a website...and check out portfolios online.

What you definitely want to do is check out the artist's portfolio and make sure the shop is sterile. Meaning they use single use needles and autoclave their equipment. Another good idea is to talk to someone who has been tattooed at the shop, preferably by the same artist, and see what they had to say about the experience.

Do you all have any other suggestions as to where I should get it?

You want a place that you can hide and easy to photograph...the ones that come to mind are: thigh (or leg in general), ribs, foot, upper arm. With respect to the wrist, it depends on the artist and what part of the inner wrist you want. Most won't tattoo over the tendons and veins..meaning the tattoo ends up being placed about an inch, inch and a half, below your wrist.

Has anyone else here had something tatooed on the underside of their wrist? Is there a risk of bleeding?

I have a small tattoo on the inside of each wrist. I assume by "is there a risk of bleeding" you mean serious bleeding...because obviously it'll bleed...it's a needle going in and out of your skin at high speeds. No there is not a risk of serious bleeding (provided you don't have condition like hemophilia...if you do you shouldn't get tattooed *at all*). A tattoo needle only penetrates the first few dermal layers, it does not go deep enough to do major damage because the tattoo won't be placed directly on top of the veins and tendons.

Also does anyone on here have any idea what a tatoo of that size might cost? Or how they price stuff?

In the states, most shops charge about $100 per hour for custom work. With the level of detail you seem to be talking about, the tattoo would probably have to be a decent size. My ballpark guess would be that the diameter of the paw pad would have to be 4 inches ish and each digit pad about 3/4 to an inch in diameter...but I could be wrong. Only your artist could say for certain. If I'm right on the size and with the level of detail it might take 2-3 hours to complete so $200-$300 but always be prepared for more.

If and when you finally decide on a shop and an artist, they will take a look at the design and talk about placement. It could be that for the size it has to be there are certain places on your body it can't go or where it just won't look good because of the shape of the tattoo. A good artist will know where it'll look good. They might also revamp the design a little so it looks better as a tattoo. A lot of stuff that looks spiffy on paper looks like crap as a tattoo so your artist will tweak the design a bit. If you don't like it, they'll tweak until you do, so don't just say you like it if you don't. It's their job to make it something you want on your body for life.

When you bring them the design, you can ask about how big they think it has to be and how long they think it will take. It's perfectly okay to talk price. You can even schedule multiple sittings if you don't have the cash to complete the tattoo in one sitting.

Ice Blitz
August 15th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Huzzah! Information overload. ^^

That's actually what I was looking for, so I thank you for the 'mini-book'. I really don't know much about tatoos.

I'm flexable with the wrist idea. Mainly, (like stated before) I'd like it somewhere I can see and is easy to photograph.

Easy to hide would be nice, and I figured the underside of your wrist is very rarely seen...I'll have to make sure FL doesn't have any issues with that.

I'm slightly concerned about pain, but it's not a biggie. If I'm doing something to myself that hurts (digging out a splinter, cutting off a mole etc.) then it doesn't really 'hurt' but as soon as someone else does it, it hurts like the dickens.

Thanks for the price info. So its pretty much a gaurentee that I wont be getting anything under $100?

Edit:

Also, I forgot to ask, but I remeber reading somewhere about the possibility of being allergic to the ink? Is this actually possible? And is there any way to get "tested"?

Seraphyna
August 15th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I'm slightly concerned about pain, but it's not a biggie. If I'm doing something to myself that hurts (digging out a splinter, cutting off a mole etc.) then it doesn't really 'hurt' but as soon as someone else does it, it hurts like the dickens.

All tattoos hurt...but each place is a different level of pain. The inner wrist is more like a burning sensation...like dragging nails over bad sunburn...than anything else.

Thanks for the price info. So its pretty much a gaurentee that I wont be getting anything under $100?

Pretty much...unless you want a small pawprint with minimal detail. Most tattoos cost over $100.

Also, I forgot to ask, but I remeber reading somewhere about the possibility of being allergic to the ink? Is this actually possible? And is there any way to get "tested"?

It's possible and most common with the color red. You could get "tested" by doing a test line/dot with the artist who will be doing the tattoo to see if it reacts (I don't think you could test it just by drawing on yourself, but you'd have to ask a doctor to be sure). It's pretty rare, especially if you're not getting color. I've only ever really seen people having "reactions" to certain brands of tattoo ink and certain colors. Red is the pigment that people most often react to.

NikitaDarkstar
August 15th, 2009, 11:09 PM
You might want to keep this in mind also. When it is time to get that tattoo done, do come well rested and make sure you've eaten properly. I did mine over several sittings and for one I hadn't slept or eaten properly, and that sitting was completely unbearable.

Also atleast my artist told me to not show up with a fresh sunburn, and not expose the tattoo to sun (like tanning) while it was healing, I don't know exactly what could happen, but obviously it can screw with the tattoo.

As for the pain... in the skin is more sensetive in some areas than others, and it's probably very individual, so keep that in mind. ("Outside" on my upper arm only tingled.. the inside... first, and last time I let someone put a tattoo needle to that skin.)

As for places, have you considered on the leg just above the ankle (forget what that area is called.. it's 5am here.), thats easy to see, and to cover up.

Ice Blitz
August 15th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Also atleast my artist told me to not show up with a fresh sunburn, and not expose the tattoo to sun (like tanning) while it was healing, I don't know exactly what could happen, but obviously it can screw with the tattoo.

:D No worries there, I'm really fair skinned (my Irish ancestory sneaking through) and after about 30 mins in the sun I burn and peel. >.<

As for places, have you considered on the leg just above the ankle (forget what that area is called.. it's 5am here.), thats easy to see, and to cover up.

I sort of thought of that. I might have thought it over and dismissed it. It might be worth looking into though, and I do have dresses that go down past my ankle. Hmmm....

And Seraphyna, thanks for the info on the ink. I wasn't sure if it was a color or not. And while red is my fave color, I think this one will only be black.

Midnight Wanderer
August 16th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Do they have ways of holding you in place? Because I'm worried I'd twitch while they work. Is that normally a problem?

Seraphyna
August 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Do they have ways of holding you in place? Because I'm worried I'd twitch while they work. Is that normally a problem?

No, they don't pin you down lol. Twitching is only an issue if you aren't good with pain. If you can sit still, it's not a problem. The only area I've found to be a twitch issue is the top of the foot...since it's basically skin and bone with no meat between, my artist kept hitting nerves and my foot would twitch of its own volition.

elinox
August 16th, 2009, 10:41 PM
How can I tell if a place is good?

I would say that, no, your wrist is not a particularly good place for this tattoo idea. For something small like what Sera has, yes, but your design is going to have to be bigger in order to see/have any details. A small pawprint, no worries. But the fact that you want a design, two in fact, inside the pawprint will make it difficult to be done small, if not impossible.

Do you all have any other suggestions as to where I should get it?

Yes, on your ankle. If you need to go to a fancy dinner, either wear pants or a long skirt. You can also cover it up with a large bandaid or certain types of makeup. Trickier with makeup, but do-able.

Has anyone else here had something tatooed on the underside of their wrist? Is there a risk of bleeding?

Nothing on my wrists, but I do have two tattoos. One on my lower back which didn't bleed at all, and one on my right ankle which bled a bit. It all depends on the individual. Some people it hurts a lot, others not so much. Some people will bleed a lot, others hardly at all. I don't think a wrist tattoo is more likely to bleed than a shoulder or ankle tattoo, but rather that it depends on the individual.

Also does anyone on here have any idea what a tatoo of that size might cost? Or how they price stuff?

That all depends on the individual artist. My lower back piece, the comedy and tragedy masks, cost me $75 and my ankle wolf tattoo cost me $70. The detail involved and how much time it takes are the most important factors. I would suggest that you visit a few local tattoo shops to price them and see which one you feel the most comfortable in. Also make sure to check that they're using sterile equipment. If you can't go to where you're going to be living, try checking out websites too.

Just take your time and think long and hard about the design and the placement. When it came down to it for me, I worked on my wolf tattoo design for 3 years before it was perfect so the price wasn't a question for me at all. When it's right the price will be well worth it.

Midnight Wanderer
August 16th, 2009, 11:26 PM
No, they don't pin you down lol. Twitching is only an issue if you aren't good with pain. If you can sit still, it's not a problem. The only area I've found to be a twitch issue is the top of the foot...since it's basically skin and bone with no meat between, my artist kept hitting nerves and my foot would twitch of its own volition.

Didn't think so. I can handle pain, but am absurdly ticklish. I'm just worried about it ruining the tattoo.

Ice Blitz
August 19th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Well....after actually drawing out the design, I realized that its not going to fit on my wrist. :)

I don't really like the look of it on my ankle, mainly cause I'm thinking of putting something else there.

So I'm now looking at getting it on my upper arm/shoulder. So I can were short sleeves and cover it, etc.

I'll see if this works....here's the public link

Tatoo Design 1 (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=589478&l=9920583ad8&id=1073614244)

Seraphyna
August 19th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I personally think that'd look nifty on a shoulderblade, foot, upper arm, ribs, calf, chest (if you're male)...that could go a lot of places *nod*.

elinox
August 19th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Well....after actually drawing out the design, I realized that its not going to fit on my wrist. :)

I told you that already. :p

I don't really like the look of it on my ankle, mainly cause I'm thinking of putting something else there.

But you've got two ankles, right?

And I liked the design, well done.

NikitaDarkstar
August 19th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Very neat design, but yhea that needs to be a decent size to look good, especially since tattoos can go blurry after a few years, don't want to lose to much to that.

As for the pain/ticklish thing Midnight, I'd suggest you tell your artist that so you don't catch him/her by surprise. But honestly.. after a few hours you don't really actually feel it at all, you kind of hear it but atleast I didn't connect it to me... until he moved down quite abit ofcourse.. THEN I felt it!

Oh and for good places, personally I'd also try to think of what places streches to much with age? Don't put it there (like boobs for girls....) I mean if you're going to have it for all your life it might as well have a chance to look good all your life, right?

And well... I think that design might look really good ontop of a foot (if you have big enough feet), but that's supposed to be an extremely painful place to put it, so how about your shoulder blades? Especially if you make a similar design to mirror it on the other side?

Oblivian
August 20th, 2009, 05:45 AM

So I'm now looking at getting it on my upper arm/shoulder. So I can were short sleeves and cover it, etc.

I'll see if this works....here's the public link

Tatoo Design 1 (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=589478&l=9920583ad8&id=1073614244)

That is a REALLY nice design! ^^ I think the upper arm/shoulder area is a good one for that *nod* but that's me.