PDA

View Full Version : Wolf-Appreciation Week

Undeniableguile
October 11th, 2009, 04:51 PM
According to my National Geographic calendar, it says that today marks the beginning of "Wolf Appreciation Week". I wonder what we're supposed to do to appreciate wolves, exactly? *shrug* I'm continuing the development of a wolf-based drawing. I also donate to the National Wildlife Federation yearly... *thinks*...but that's about it.

Is is just me, or are these appreciation days/weeks a bit obscure and possibly...unnecessary?

Crossfire21
October 11th, 2009, 04:56 PM
*shrugs* yes and no imo,It would be cool if it was like 24/4 wolf documentaries on nat geo like shark week on discovery.

wolffriend
October 11th, 2009, 05:30 PM
It's probably just to make an excuse to launch a campaign to "save the wolves" or to recognize their importance and things like that.

Spectre
October 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I think it means all wolf therians get presents. ;)

Amourosa Wolfsight
October 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
It's probably just to make an excuse to launch a campaign to "save the wolves" or to recognize their importance and things like that.

Is this a bad thing, though? With the Idaho wolf hunts going on again, wolves will be put back on the Endangered Species List (hopefully) after people have worked so hard to get their numbers up. Is a Wolf Awareness/Appreciation Week really so bad? I mean, compared to something like Ice Cream Appreciation Month (I used to work at Coldstone Creamery, it's a little horrifying), what's wrong with Wolf Awareness?

DaxterD
October 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I think it means all wolf therians get presents. ;)

*gives present*

Well, in all seriousness it's National Geographic right? I don't like that channel because they demonise everything in a sort of "We're all going to die!" way. That's the bad reputation in many animals I want to fight.

wolffriend
October 11th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Is this a bad thing, though? With the Idaho wolf hunts going on again, wolves will be put back on the Endangered Species List (hopefully) after people have worked so hard to get their numbers up. Is a Wolf Awareness/Appreciation Week really so bad? I mean, compared to something like Ice Cream Appreciation Month (I used to work at Coldstone Creamery, it's a little horrifying), what's wrong with Wolf Awareness?

I did not intend to imply it was a bad thing. I'm just saying that's probably the reasoning. There is no official "wolf appreciation week" that I know of except for those that want to promote it. Personally, I'm all for such things, though I don't find that I need a week to do it. :P

outwarddoodles
October 11th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I have a T-shirt from an animal shelter I volunteer at with "National Feral Cat Day" and the date written on the back. (Oct. 16th.) People always ask me if it's a real 'holiday.' I guess it IS a really strange thing to reserve a day for, though. = P

BroodFox
October 11th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Similarly (but nowhere near as awesome as) "Year of the Dolphin" 07-08, a bunch of (awesome) dolphin related campaigns were launched and such. It was supposed to raise awareness of the awesomeness of dolphins. Not sure what it did achieve in the end.

On a side note - wolves get a week - dolphins get fifty-two (which is then doubled because of the volume of sheer awesomeness). :P

Either way happy Wolfmas! *presents*

House of Chimeras
October 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM
There is just about an appreciation day or week for just about anything and everything it seems. It some ways the idea sounds kind of cool, but in other ways it seems kind of odd and unnecessary.

Then again, a few other animals get a day/week devoted to them. There is Shark Week for one, but I can't think of any others really.

Regardless, I guess happy Wolf Appreciation Week then.

pyewacket
October 12th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Ha! Yes, it's definately so we all get presents.

But hey... if it's anything to promote appreciation of these misunderstood animals, it can't be bad! :)

cheetah
October 12th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I hearby proclaim that this week shall be... Green Pistachio Ice Cream with Chocolate Week.

Anyway, while most of these weeks are rather pointless (there's a Hedgehog Week... or maybe it was a day or month), it gives people a reason to do something at a specific time- and from what I've seen, very few people are willing to make a coordinated effort if it's not on the calender a few weeks in advance. Works even better if it happens every year.

Pinkfluff
October 12th, 2009, 06:49 PM
It would be cool if it was like 24/4 wolf documentaries on nat geo like shark week on discovery.

That'd be sweet.

But it all seriousness, I'd say we do very much need a wolf-appreciation week. Wild wolves are murdered in large numbers in many western states, including Alaska, and people need to learn the damage it does to the natural ecosystem as well as being simply immoral and unethical and why that matters. Sometimes they even gas wolf pups to death in their dens. It's not a thing of have an appreciation week for everything. Not all animals are treated so badly. There are a few thousand wolves left in the country if I remember right. Some people think that is alot, but what if there were only 3000 humans left? Then I don't think they'd think it was such a huge number.