PDA

View Full Version : The 'Invisible' Web

Warrick
October 12th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Hooray for completely random topics of discussion!

So, I'm just going to assume a lot of people don't normally bring up this topic because it's not a widely known subject. ... So I thought I'd bring it up! Which would lead to the question: What is the Invisible Web (http://websearch.about.com/od/invisibleweb/a/invisible_web.htm)? (There's your answer!)

I had actually never heard of the term until last year when I had been reading about internet related things and came across something like '...deep web search'. Of course it nabbed my interest right off; because any normally unreachable load of information is bound to have some hidden gems of knowledge horded away.

To tell the truth, I never did think of the web as some limited space of databases and pages. So having a not-so-often searched, hidden vast portion that normal search engines don't sift through... it was like, well, ok that makes sense! But now I'm curious.

I don't know what's out there. I don't know if any of the information that could potentially be out there is worth any of my time. But it's out there, apparently.

--

And I don't really know how to turn this in to a viable discussion, aside the normal boring tirade of... What do you think? Would it be worth poking through? If it's not normally accessible with regular search engines like Google and Yahoo and Dogpile, why bother?

*Shrugs.* Entertain me!

wolffriend
October 12th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Well, the idea that because something isn't normally searchable, it isn't relevant or important, isn't necessarily correct. Its accessibility, or existence in public knowledge, doesn't have any affect of its usefulness as any form of information or media (see: MTV). I had heard of it before, and it is interesting, sort of like an archaeology topic, or treasure hunt. Though if it's not accessible via search engines it will become difficult to find these pages, but it's still cool nonetheless to ponder.

graylocke
October 12th, 2009, 10:14 PM
The internet theoretically provides everyone with a voice - Their personal webpage / blog / wiki / photo album / whatever. However, just because you've been granted a voice, doesn't mean people will listen... Or even know that you are there to be listened to.

Personally, I think that everyone's story is an interesting story - Truth, fiction, opinion, delusion or otherwise. It all adds to my personal experiences, even if I have to live vicariously in order to accomplish everything. ;p

I wonder how many voices have been lost to the noise?

Seraphyna
October 12th, 2009, 10:20 PM
The internet is a giant spider, just waiting to eat us :P

The "deep internet" could hold some interesting topics...if we as a species (meaning humanity) didn't poke beneath the surface there would be many things we would have not yet discovered.

Kyte
October 12th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Interesting...though it makes me think (yes I am a nerd) of a Star Wars character that is a giant spider on a web in the middle of the galaxy, that controls all the money and such in that universe. (Yeah..i'm a star wars fan...)
But it is interesting all the same.

WolfVanZandt
October 12th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Actually, there is information on therianthropy under various guises "out there" and to get to the information, you have to get away from the mainstream Internet and get into the academic journals. So one answer is that, if you really want to research what's currently available in respect to therianthropy, you're going to have to get away from Google.

Olm Stranger
October 13th, 2009, 03:02 AM
But Google is my fwend. I can't betray it now! *sad puppy eyes*
Lol, I must admit, its probably about time I tried a different search engine...

Warrick
October 13th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Actually, there is information on therianthropy under various guises "out there" and to get to the information, you have to get away from the mainstream Internet and get into the academic journals. So one answer is that, if you really want to research what's currently available in respect to therianthropy, you're going to have to get away from Google.

AKA; most all mainstream web crawlers.

Something helpful for people may be a site like this: Choose the Best Search Engine for your Information Needs (http://www.noodletools.com/debbie/literacies/information/5locate/adviceengine.html)

It sort of relates. It's a damn long list of engines I'd never even heard of and/or seen before. (It's fun to just pick a topic and open up ten or so different engines just to see what kind of difference there is in what is displayed in the first few pages!)

House of Chimeras
October 13th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Ya, there is a lot of stuff that the internet that no search engine just never sees. Its really interesting. Then again the internet in and of itself is pretty interesting as a whole. There are things just waiting to be found.

I love search engines like Google and so on, but when I have to do some really hard research and searching I sometimes have to get creative on how I look for stuff and information. Just because something does not show up on a first search does not means its not relevant. It just means more digging and searching is needed to find it.

Akai
October 13th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Don't know what to talk about? Easy! Your time going through it! Imagine what hidden gems of informaion you can find in your favorite topics! I plan to talk about my adventures there...once this supposedly invisible web search engine is up and running. >_<