PDA

View Full Version : Concerns and Ideas

Kyte
October 29th, 2009, 08:22 PM
If this is going to be for the community by the community, we need to know your thoughts. What bothers you about this, but also, what excites you?
What are you hoping to be accomplished through Project PawPrint?

Savage
October 29th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I want to see some solid groundwork laid in science and addressed to good academic standards for outside researchers, as well as a fair representation of all the spiritual and religious views in our community. Therianthropy is a multi-faceted thing and deserves a wide spectrum representation.

Aislin
October 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I completely agree with you Savage.

One thing that does really worries me is that reaction that the general public will have. I really hope that nobody, therian or otherwise has a negative reaction to any of this. I worry about people have violent outburst about this.(I hope nobody does)

Kyte
October 29th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Sad thing is though, no matter what the subject topic, there is always someone out there that is going to cause trouble. I don't think this will cause an outburst of any kind. I think this might make a few people jumpy because this is putting something that a lot of people classify as fiction right in their faces. Some might not like that.

PhelanVelvel
October 29th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I completely agree with you Savage.

One thing that does really worries me is that reaction that the general public will have. I really hope that nobody, therian or otherwise has a negative reaction to any of this. I worry about people have violent outburst about this.(I hope nobody does)

I think it's better to get a little-known topic in the public eye and show it for what it is, dismiss any misconceptions, and present the truth than allow people to continue guessing or being ignorant about it. People will always have negative reactions to anything and everything. :P

Yeah... So... One thing I would really like to get across is that therians aren't furries... >_< I'm not saying it's wrong to have an interest in such a thing, and I'm not surprised that for some people the two overlap when it comes to their own identities/lifestyles. But it's really the farthest thing from what I am or have anything to do with, and it's getting really tiresome to be equated with furries all the time; it makes me die a little inside. People are just so predisposed, it seems, to lashing out with furry-related insults if you try and explain this sort of thing. And I hate it, it's hurtful to be misinterpreted in such a way. Something that is so deeply a part of me is being insulted and spat on as if it were a style of cartoon, or sexual fetish? (Once again, no offence to anyone who anyone who is a furry, I'm just looking at it from the perspective of others who are ready to judge.)

Ashen
October 29th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I like a focus of the thing to really show the animal connection...personally I'd like to use my therianthropy to help me in actually getting the world back to a better place for animals, and I believe that if we show this in the right light it could open a huge world of prospects for that goal I don't know how I just have that feeling that if done right this could be a really good thing not only just for therians but for animals too.

Also I'd like it mentioned that it's not a choice...we don't pick our theriotype, we can't 'stop being therians' I kinda see that while it's not sexual it'll kinda be similar as the media vs the gay community. Along with that show that it truly is a lifestyle and something that needs balance.

If I wasn't a therian and watching it the biggest eye grabber I would think would be footage of people shifting. A lot of stupid asses will be negative that it's not the cool physical shifting but others will still be pretty fascinated by it...or think it's bull shit I don't know I'm nervous but I have a good feeling about this all.

Ashen
October 31st, 2009, 05:54 AM
Also I think something should be said about the Therian Bible, no offense to anyone that is a member of the therian temple but personally I think it's all bullshit, and a think it should be made clear that not all therians think like that.

Dragonslorefury
October 31st, 2009, 06:19 AM
I think reference to some books every now and then- that allows the audience to seek out more info if they want to.
Also a highlight that while Therianthropy doesn't 'make' people do anything geared towards animal care or world conservation it can 'motivate' them to; after all we don't want people to think we're all compulsory tree-huggers =P

Kyte
October 31st, 2009, 09:21 AM
Other than the therian bible, what books are actually out there? That is the only thing. I have never seen a book about therianthropy.

Dragonslorefury
October 31st, 2009, 01:08 PM
Well there's Lupa's 'A field guide to otherkin' which talks about therianthropy with the rest of the kin-types, then she's also done 'Shifting, shamanism and Therianthropy'. Beyond that there is a rather good book (the title escapes me but I can find it) out there which takles using animals as an archtypal device for self improvement, which may come in use as I kow some therians feel that way

We also ahve the online comic Therithere, and genrally good books on reincarnation could be mentioned, or even books on psychology.... we are a broad specturm indeed.

Kyte
October 31st, 2009, 01:19 PM
Well there's Lupa's 'A field guide to otherkin' which talks about therianthropy with the rest of the kin-types, then she's also done 'Shifting, shamanism and Therianthropy'. Beyond that there is a rather good book (the title escapes me but I can find it) out there which takles using animals as an archtypal device for self improvement, which may come in use as I kow some therians feel that way

We also ahve the online comic Therithere, and genrally good books on reincarnation could be mentioned, or even books on psychology.... we are a broad specturm indeed.
I need to kidnapp you for research. Wow...thanks

Savage
October 31st, 2009, 02:03 PM
Lupa may be interested in participating in this project actually. When her life gets a little less hectic, I'll ask her.

House of Chimeras
October 31st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Ya, Lupa’s book A Field Guild to Otherkin is pretty much the best therian and/or Otherkin related book out there. An her ebook, Shifting, shamanism and Therianthropy is really pretty good as well. There is also The Magic of Shapeshifting but that book just has so many problems with it I wouldn’t advice using it without a big bucket load of salt.

As for concerns and ideas, I think just taking things at their own pace and not trying to rush through and met a dead-line. Something that is going to this good will be worth the wait. I think the documentary really most importantly express that we really are just fairly normal folks who just have our natural quirks. That we are people who didn’t choice to be the way we are, we just are the way we are.

Aethyriek
October 31st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Also I think something should be said about the Therian Bible, no offense to anyone that is a member of the therian temple but personally I think it's all bullshit, and a think it should be made clear that not all therians think like that.

I would leave the Therian Temple out of it, personally. Pretend it doesn’t exist. Touching it seems more like disaster. If anyone is concerned about people mistaking therianthropy in general for religion, that could simply be clarified. The general public doesn’t know about the Therian Temple to begin with, so it could cause confusion to bring it up.

Werewolf of Waldorf
November 1st, 2009, 09:06 PM
Well, curious...WHY have this project? It's not that I'm not uber-enthused (I am uber-enthused) but is there REALLY that much bad publicity or "demand" for us/the community?

My only concern is that we may still attract unnecessary attention, the image that would be sent about therianthropy, as if we DEMAND the attention and MUST be on television. That's all.

PhelanVelvel
November 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM
Well, curious...WHY have this project? It's not that I'm not uber-enthused (I am uber-enthused) but is there REALLY that much bad publicity or "demand" for us/the community?

My only concern is that we may still attract unnecessary attention, the image that would be sent about therianthropy, as if we DEMAND the attention and MUST be on television. That's all.

I don't think the world is going to stop turning if we don't put out a documentary about therianthropy, but it's a little-known subject that affects a lot of people, on top of that I find it really interesting. So do a few non-therians I know. I think it would be good for the community to get exposure. :3

Kyte
November 1st, 2009, 10:17 PM

This is actually a tricky question. I can answer it with a question. Why put anything out there? The answer I see is that everyone, not just non-therians but even other therians and those that don't know that there are others like them out there can use some information. It is a source to compile information.

There is not that much bad publicity out there, no. But with so many new 'werewolf' movies and stories coming out, I think it helps to explain that it is not just a legend, we might not be able to p-shift, but we all experience something in some way.

Also, about television. If everything goes well I am actually looking at renting out a few theaters to do private viewings when this is all done. THIS IS NOT CONCRETE!!!
IF this goes to TV it would be with a limited contract. This limited contract would allow them to air it but in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM, change it. They would not be able to use something that all of us put together to make us look like nuts. It is going to take time to get everything together and to do it right, but I do think that in the long run...yes it will be worth it.

Werewolf of Waldorf
November 2nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
So it's the ol' "Why? Why not!" :p Like I said, just curious.

Kyte
November 2nd, 2009, 10:52 AM
So it's the ol' "Why? Why not!" :p Like I said, just curious.
Yeah. And I think it would be good to have a compilation of information.

Ashen
November 2nd, 2009, 08:45 PM
Personally I'd rather have something that is going to define who/what we are that we've said, rather than wait for someone else who knows nothing about it do it for us.

cheetah
November 2nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
The whole idea of not doing this is a bit deceptive. We actually don't have a really low profile- most of the people we wouldn't want knowing about us know about us. Am I concerned about people thinking we're crazy? Hell yes. I've had it happen to me. But I think that, as long as we do this carefully, we will make it harder and harder for people to be swayed over to the troll's side.

GestaltZe
November 3rd, 2009, 12:36 AM
I would like to see interviews and day-to-day life stuff with a wide variety of therians. Like someone said before, it would be cool to have shifting footage, but I don't know- it would probably make us look fluffy. On the other hand, it seems like the most honest and forthright thing to do is include everything, so why not?

Maybe some expansion on our origins? Lupa talked about the otherkin 'birth' in her book, and I thought it was very interesting- maybe some more of that and some AHWW info too?

Aside from that: basics. This is for us, but it is also for the rest of the world. Let's make sure we lay the groundwork right.

I probably won't be eighteen in time to contribute to this, but I will probably be eighteen in time to do private showings, like (I think) Analae said. I'll be watching! x3

Omega98
November 3rd, 2009, 01:13 AM
I think that having friends of therians comment on it. Non therians input would make the documentary viewers hopefully realize that therianthropy isn't a cult/religion/weirs thing. Non therians believe in it and are fine with it. Also I think we should some common arguments people have against therianthropy and then say why those are wrong.

GestaltZe
November 3rd, 2009, 01:33 AM
I think that having friends of therians comment on it. Non therians input would make the documentary viewers hopefully realize that therianthropy isn't a cult/religion/weirs thing. Non therians believe in it and are fine with it. Also I think we should some common arguments people have against therianthropy and then say why those are wrong.

First part is a fantastic idea. Nontherian input would be phenomenal, I think.
The second part- why they're 'wrong'... well, like most things involved with therianthropy, it's all opinion. But perhaps we could use some arguments against it and then respond with why we BELIEVE those arguments are wrong. As long as you use that qualifier, it seems like it would be better... Tiptoe, I'm saying.

Omega98
November 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
SummonerWolf, I agree about that completely.

Dragonslorefury
November 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I really like the idea of being able to talk to non-therians or friends of therians about the issue; kind of adds a new angle to it.

Ashen
November 5th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I asked my childhood friends that I told about my therianthropy about the project and asked for their imput on what they'd like to see, but I don't know any that would volunteer for filming

Kyte
November 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I asked my childhood friends that I told about my therianthropy about the project and asked for their imput on what they'd like to see, but I don't know any that would volunteer for filming
That's fine. Just ideas on what to ask or look for would be helpful. Or they could just speak and we could record and do a voice over or something.
I've got the first part planned out and am on to the second.

Howlerwolf
November 16th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I would like to see interviews and day-to-day life stuff with a wide variety of therians. Like someone said before, it would be cool to have shifting footage, but I don't know- it would probably make us look fluffy. On the other hand, it seems like the most honest and forthright thing to do is include everything, so why not?

Shifting footage would be tricky because of how downright strange it would look to the eyes of those who are not used to seeing it. We all saw what happened on the history channel. Granted they used horrible footage, seeing a shift would still appear "out there" to nontherians. I think it would be best to introduce therianthropy slowly in this documentary. We don't want to throw it into other people's faces. One of our points is to show that we're normal after all. I think an explaination of shifting and what it does to us is all that is needed. If we come on too strongly then people will think that we're all a group of weirdos rather than a valid group.

Werewolf of Waldorf
November 17th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I second Howlerwolf. Getting people to spontaneously shift in the first place is kinda hard: not everyone can shift on command. Also, I have a tendency to loose articles of clothing...not good on public television.

Getting non-therian input is a brilliant idea. I've already got 3 non-therian friends willing to help out with this documentary, so it will be good to get "normal" ideas and views.

Ashen
November 17th, 2009, 06:49 PM
My friend got back to me today about the subject, I'm just gonna copy and paste it really good questions to answer imo. :)

"I've been thinking off and on for a few weeks; like Teri, I don't remember much of our conversations about therianthropy from back in the day. I remember not being sure I believed what you believed, but that was more from a stand point of never experiencing what you were. So I think in a documentary, a nice, clear, concise explanation/definition of therianthropy would be extremely helpful. And it would be important to differentiate it from other forms of animal-connectedness (like furries). And to some questions I've thought of:"

1. Is therianthropy similar to Native American beliefs in spirit-animals?
2. In general, how do people come to believe in therianthropy? Is it a gradual awakening? At what age does this happen?
3. An affinity for a certain animal or multiple animals?
4. Is there or has there been research conducted about this subculture?
5. Any anthropologists in the world studying therianthropy? Any experts? Any fields of professional study (i.e. psychology, sociology, religion) that have taken an interest in studying this field?
6. Are there other cultures in the world who believe in some form of therianthropy? Is it a common belief?
7. What are the demographics of people who believe (age, ethnicity, background, education level, etc.)?
8. Are there any historical accounts? Any famous historical figures?
9. Are there set doctrines regarding beliefs or is an individualized experience?
10. Explain the connectedness between an individual and their animal. Examples, personal accounts, etc.
11. In general, are people connected exotic/wild animals and/or domestic animals?
12. How does this affect the daily lives of believers?
13. What do people who believe in therianthropy want the general public to know?
14. What is the connection to therianthropy and more generally known religions/spiritual beliefs?
15. Are there people who believe in a particular religion and therianthropy, or is it "I believe in therianthropy, but not any other organized religion"?

Kyte
November 17th, 2009, 07:03 PM
are these possible questions to ask Ashen? Or do I need to try and answer them, because in all honesty I cannot as of now? And yes, I do think they are really good questions. Also I'm going to post those on our site. If I need to remove them please let me know. They are good questions to consider.

PhelanVelvel
November 17th, 2009, 07:21 PM
are these possible questions to ask Ashen? Or do I need to try and answer them, because in all honesty I cannot as of now? And yes, I do think they are really good questions. Also I'm going to post those on our site. If I need to remove them please let me know. They are good questions to consider.

I think Ashen meant that those could be questions to try and "answer" (although we know that by attempting to answer questions like these we just raise more) in the documentary. Because they are common questions people who aren't familiar with therianthropy would like to ask.

Ashen
November 18th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Yea you don't have to answer it now, just these are things that could be explained in the documentary

Ashen
November 21st, 2009, 08:05 PM
Any one on the werelist or know anyone (therian or not) that is a college professor? Might be a good idea for the people that have done college papers about therianthropy to submit them and maybe ask the professors if they'd be interested in giving comment about the subject for the documentary..

Savage
November 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
Any one on the werelist or know anyone (therian or not) that is a college professor? Might be a good idea for the people that have done college papers about therianthropy to submit them and maybe ask the professors if they'd be interested in giving comment about the subject for the documentary..

Er. Well, there are some therian academics, but I don't know any who would willingly put their real name and credentials out in public. I'll ask around, but my guess is that everybody I know in this category is going to say no. Behind the scenes input is more likely to be offered.

We might could ask BJ from the Santa Barbara study project....let me see about digging up her info.

Werewolf of Waldorf
November 23rd, 2009, 04:07 PM
I don't want to say that I can do something for you, when I am overwhelmed with 6 courses, college-transfer paperwork, and a job, but I have resources available here at the college if you wish when you come up, Analae and Prophet. I am can piece together the information for demographics and try to help with the presentation of data, since I am a geography major (statistical crap like that is what we live for), but like I said, for the moment, until January, I can't guarantee anything.

terrorwolf
November 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
We can make the statistical information available from Weresource. If you have any specific questions, let one of us know and we can add it to the upcoming release of the Stats Engine.