PDA

View Full Version : Otherkin

Kyte
October 29th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I actually was pondering this and thought it might fit in with Project Pawprint. Do Otherkin count as therians? Do they have a standing with Project Pawprint.

My say is yes, but I want other input. How would you classify a Dragon or Angel as a therian.

PhelanVelvel
October 29th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Well, dragons/gryphons/mythical animals strike me as therians, because they're really just fanciful hybridisations of real animals, no? I mean, extinct animals are therians, so wouldn't mythological animals also be therians? Angels...that gets a little tricky. D: I don't know much about people who consider themselves angels or if that's therianthropy.

Savage
October 29th, 2009, 09:13 PM
To avoid diluting the focus and taking too much time on screen, we need to focus on therianthropy and "animals inside". Mythological animals are still animals, and we can certainly touch at least briefly on their existence in our community and on the fact that therianthropy shares some interesting aspects of the experience with Otherkin and vampirism.

Raqui
October 29th, 2009, 09:27 PM
It would be worth it to bring up mythical animals. You can say that dragons and griffons can identify as either therians or otherkin, and quickly explain what otherkinism is.

Arawn
October 29th, 2009, 10:05 PM
"Otherkin" does not just pertain to mythical animals, what about the fae-kin or angel-kin or any other kin? In my opinion Therians fall under the "Otherkin" label because Therians are other than human, but still human, just like all other Otherkin out there.

Wicthdragon
October 29th, 2009, 10:28 PM
For my self I always wonderd about that to'and being dragon I wonder if i would be considerd therian, but yet i just say otherkin,.

Point is I find this interresting what every one says,.

PhelanVelvel
October 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM
"Otherkin" does not just pertain to mythical animals, what about the fae-kin or angel-kin or any other kin? In my opinion Therians fall under the "Otherkin" label because Therians are other than human, but still human, just like all other Otherkin out there.

Like Savage said, I think we could touch on the fae and angels and whatnot, but it would be hard to give those subjects and just straight-up therianthropy equal time in one documentary.

Arawn
October 29th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Like Savage said, I think we could touch on the fae and angels and whatnot, but it would be hard to give those subjects and just straight-up therianthropy equal time in one documentary.

I think it should be primarily related to Therians [I really don't think other Otherkin should be mentioned at all] because it would be easier to explain therians than anything with the other kintypes.

Howlerwolf
October 29th, 2009, 11:03 PM
To avoid diluting the focus and taking too much time on screen, we need to focus on therianthropy and "animals inside". Mythological animals are still animals, and we can certainly touch at least briefly on their existence in our community and on the fact that therianthropy shares some interesting aspects of the experience with Otherkin and vampirism.

I agree with Savage. Dragons and griffins and similar mythical creatures can be included because (at least to me)they are more therian in nature, but as for elves and angels, I don't believe that they really have a place in this documentary.

Lenowill
October 30th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Draconics who occasionally get shifts of the "growl, growl, hungry! ROAR!" variety would certainly have a large body of similar mental-shifting experiences to compare with some of the nonmythical therian types.

And I'm not saying that to poke fun at anything; what I mean is that the primal/animalistic types of m-shifting experiences would form a common thread of experience between the two. Ditto that for gryphons and others.

Frankly I tend to see most of the draconics I've spoken with as therians (because their experiences of being "dragon" sound very similar to my experience of being "wolf" or anything else). I would think commonality of experience would tend to be more of a grouping factor than terminology and community lines. Which is one reason why I would also at least halfway expect the Furry Fandom and to be touched on in the documentary as well. (Due to the overlap between the communities.) And maybe point out some of the similarities to shamanism while also noting that being a therian is more a condition or experience (as opposed to a profession or a belief system) and that there are therians of all sorts of religious and spiritual persuations. (Etc.)

The show's going to be about therianthropy, but inevitably Analae and co. will be needing to pull in other topics that commonly relate (or are seen as related) to it, even if only briefly so that the audience gets an idea for what's out there. That's my hunch, anyway; I could be wrong.

GestaltZe
October 30th, 2009, 07:33 PM
A therian is an otherkin, but an otherkin is not always a therian. (I believe, anyway.)

Wicthdragon
October 31st, 2009, 02:08 AM
That is interrsting I never heard of it like that can you tell me why ya think that Summoner I find it really intrgering.

Dragonslorefury
October 31st, 2009, 06:46 AM

Shangrila is right, in my opinion; Therians are sometimes put in the 'Otherkin' sub-culture because otherkin (in its broadest definition) are people who are other than their kin (people) in some way and kin to the other (non-human animals, mythological/biblical/religious/dimensional creatures etc.); a.k.a. People who feel they are somehow other than human, either spiritually, mentally or (rarely) physically. This includes therians.

But, as Summonerwolf said nicely, Otherkin can't be Therians, because Therianthropy is a more 'exclusive' section or definition within the 'other than human' spectrum.

Of course not all Therians want to be clumped under the Otherkin umbrella, and that is usually respected on an individual level but not usually a general level.

So yeah: Otherkin- Related to Therianthropy through making Therains a sub-category.