View Full Version : Filming and Editing Terms

October 31st, 2009, 02:47 PM
I figure there might be some terms getting thrown around in the next few weeks or years that some of you might not understand. I'm going to try and update this as I think of more, so bare with me. If you do have a question about a term, please let me or Prophet know and we'll be glad to help you.

NTSC--This is American televesion. NTSC is what VCRS, DVD players etc use in the US. They play at 29.9 frames per second and this is what we will be working in at the moment.

PAL-This is what everyone else uses pretty much. This is filmed at 25.4 frames per second.

Movie Speed--(Not the technical term I know) This is when you watch a movie on the big screen. It is shown at 24 frames per second and this is what adds to the cinematic feel.

Aperture--measurement of the opening in a camera lens that controls the amount of light coming into the camera and actually touching the film. Camera people should know this.

Rough Draft--This is just the basic ideas behind a script or idea. It is not set in stone at the time and is due for more editing and revisions.

Mini-DV--This is actually just a type of tape. I love using mini-dv but sadly they are being made obsolete in the filming industry. Dv=Digital Video

Final Cut Pro=this is an editing program made by Apple and is only available on a Mac computer.

Preimer=This is an editing program for PCs. It is alot like Final Cut Pro.

Adobe Suite=This is a set of programs including Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver, etc.

October 31st, 2009, 03:38 PM
narrative - An adjective describing a film as being primarily a work of fiction, or a noun that loosely means a fictional story.

documentary - Also an adjective or noun category used to describe a work of nonfiction.

pan - the movement of a stationary camera on a horizontal axis. A camera on a tripod that moves from left to right would be panning.

tilt - the movement of a stationary camera on a vertical axis. A camera on a tripod that moves up and down would be performing a tilt.

tracking shot - the movement of the shot when the camera is no longer stationary.

handheld shot - refers to a shot where the camera is held by the camera operator.

frame – Literally, a frame of film refers to the smallest unit of film possible. Film frames appear on a film strip, which, when projected, creates the illusion of motion. Film is shown at 24 frames per second.

editing - refers to the way that individual shots are connected to one another to make the film.

October 31st, 2009, 06:00 PM
Damn...I just felt like I was in my Art & History of the Film class. XD

November 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
If you want to get all artsy and technical don't forget "mise en scène"... although that's relatively useless when you can just say "on screen"; but the frenchyness of it makes it sound cool. XP