PDA

View Full Version : US Python Ban!

Loki
December 6th, 2009, 09:49 PM
All 40 species of python may be banned from the United States!

Find out more here:

http://86caskin.deviantart.com/journal/28766963/

Please spread the word!

spark
December 7th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Well is this good or bad? Pythons arn't native to the US anyway, and in many places are considered an invasive species. In addition this is no different from laws controlling various breeds of dogs considered 'dangerous'.

DragonicWolf
December 7th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I would have to agree if the majority of pythons banned are the dangerous kinds, because I have seen little kids want to buy reticulated pythons or anacondas and their parents have no idea what they are in for. Additionally a lot of the traders only care about selling their animals and do not care for the safety of the owners or the welfare of the animals. But yeah, thats all I can say for now, internet connection time almost used up...

Zeno
December 7th, 2009, 12:22 AM
As a herptaculturist I'm against this, but as an environmentalist, it may be for the best in places like Florida.

Myeniaa
December 7th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I don't believe that banning things are good solutions. Stronger rules and better regulation.

I personally have 3 non-colubrid constrictors. I would be heartbroken if they did this, but its been talked about all over herpetology forums for years now. It may happen, but its not about to happen. Yes, they are invasive species, but so are housecats, and many other pets we keep. The issue is whether or not pet owners are educated before they buy. The problem is idiots buying animals they are not ready for and then thinking that they could just set it free as a solution. If people were only required to obtain a permit (that required them to pass a basic test about their needs etc), then you wouldn't get idiots buying them because they're cool and big, and then turning around and not giving them the care they need.

GestaltZe
December 7th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I don't know. Pet stores and their methods piss me off, and in that sense, it might be better for the snakes. On the other hand, my friend has a ball python, and even if he won't admit it, I know that snake means a lot to him. It would break my heart if someone weren't able to have that bond because the States had banned their buying, selling, and transport.

IssoireLynx
December 7th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I think this would be better to regulate buying pythons. For example, buyer have to had formal license for every python.

Gryphling
December 7th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Judging on the title, I thought this was about the Monty Python crew at first...

That said, I agree that putting stricter regulations into place would be a more ideal situation than outright banning. Make something illegal and the wrong kind of people are going to get hold of the critters just to act against the government.

Arual Enilorac
December 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I thought this was talking about Monty Python, as well. I've got a boxed set. xP

Banning probably isn't a good idea, as that makes getting ahold of one all the more tempting to those who are into illegal business...and chances are, those who are into stuff like that aren't into taking sufficient care of animals.

God, I hate it when people just leave their pets and stuff when they can't take care of them anymore. When I see those animal cop shows, I get angry if they can't find who did it. :/

Ice Blitz
December 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM
We already got to have liscenses for some pythons and boas. See the Reptiles of Concern Liscense.

I vote NO on the python ban. I could provide a stronger argument as for why I'm against it, but I'm pressed for time at the moment.

And on snakes being dangerous to people, sure, if it constritcted it could kill you. But a snake cannot swallow a human (unless maybe it was an infant). They cannot get past our shoulders. Take one look at the shoulders of their normal prey, and compare it to those of humans. Totally different.

Pythons in places like the everglades is techinically a sunk cost. It doesn't really matter in things like the python ban, BECAUSE THEYRE ALREADY THERE. The ban wont suddenly Make them dissapear. It would just complicate things for Reasonable people, who are mature individuals that want to own one of these snakes.

And it's kinda like my feelings on the gun ban. It you make guns illegal, then the people who break laws anyway, are STILL gonna be armed, and good law abiding citizens will be unprotected and helpless.

Not that snakes have anything to do with protecting yourself, but I hope you understand the analogy.

Banning pythons wont put a stop to irresponsable pet owners. I dont think anything will. Maybe we'll find a solution one day, but this is NOT it.

Yes, they are invasive species, but so are housecats, and many other pets we keep.

Did you know that house cats are responsable for the extinction of more species than anything else, with the exception of man? If they're gonna put an ban on boids they'd better slap a ban and liscence on kitties too!

As a herptaculturist I'm against this, but as an environmentalist, it may be for the best in places like Florida.

The pythons down here are NOWHERE near as bad as the media has made them out to be. Check out the artcle I posted in I believe, the current events forum, if you haven't already.

Edit:

Finally skimmed over the article, and found Another stupid thing about the ban. They want to ban all the pythons. Has it occured to no one in policitics that NOT ALL PYTHONS GET THAT BIG??!! What complete IDIOTS. Ball pythons for exaple. only get maybe 4-5ft long. They couldn't eat a cat if they wanted to. The only ones I can think up off the top of my head that even get big enough to seriously injure humans are retics, burms and anacondas. What retards...

Also, some of you may notice that I referred to pythons and boas in my post. That was mainly cause people who are not into herps don't really distinguish them as different (both large constricting snakes), and I've a feeling that if pythons get banned, boas wont be far behind them. >.<

Oh, and look, I was right. Stated right there in the article:

S373 as written would add ALL 40 species of python to the Injurious Wildlife List of the Lacey Act; the entire python genre. If amended as recommended by USFWS and TNC it would add all 4 species of anaconda and Boa Constrictor to the list. That would be 45 species in all.

Loki
December 7th, 2009, 02:03 PM
The ban is pretty ridiculous, really.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! Please spread the word about this issue. C:

cheetah
December 7th, 2009, 05:19 PM
To everybody who thinks that this ban is a good idea:

Most pythons aren't huge animals the size of trucks. There are 'banana boas' which are a few feet long. There are ball pythons which can be as docile as a cat.

PhelanVelvel
December 7th, 2009, 06:10 PM
LOL. Just fucking lol. What stupid, illogical bullshit. If you need a license to keep certain snakes, I don't see the problem. If there's really an issue, just make the requirements for obtaining one of these licenses stricter. I want to bitch-slap those smug politicians. Why, exactly, is it necessary to ban these snakes? When properly monitored and cared for, are they any more dangerous than some dogs? Oh man, it just makes me laugh grimly when I think about it. I've known some seriously irresponsible people who didn't take the time or effort to properly train their German shepherd, kept him in a fucking cage nine hours a day while they were at work, and that dog is completely capable of killing someone. I've seen the aggression he exhibited towards people first-hand, and it was bone-chilling. Let's outlaw dogs, too, guys, because human irresponsibility can make it seem like every instance of keeping one as a pet is dangerous.

I understand why some dogs are banned in certain areas, such as pitbulls being banned in Detroit. I don't know if the ban really works, but it's essentially for the safety of the dogs because pitbull-fighting is so prevalent there. But there isn't a large-scale exploitation of these snakes, or like snake fighting operations that I know of, so what exactly is the point in banning them?

Night
December 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM
-----------------

Lot
December 8th, 2009, 01:46 AM
This is huge in the reptile community right now.

Agreed.

The reptile community is very, very large. I know several people who have a large number of pythons under their care. I myself am into reptiles, own a ball python, and plan on keeping several other pythons and boas in the near future.

I would hate to see irresponsible owners, releasing their pets that cause problems for the environment, causing responsible owners to suffer.

A ban would be ridiculous.

SongBreeze
December 8th, 2009, 04:57 AM
In my opinion education is better than banning. I love reptiles, and my ex used to keep them, and I have nothing but respect for those beautiful animals. There are a great too many irresponsible owners and they are all that people remember, never those amazing owners that know their animal inside out and would move the earth for their creature's well being.

Not Z
December 9th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Yea, figured this would happen sooner or later.

Hell, on streaming video sites and online news sites you can see many videos/articles that over-exaggerate how Pythons are some extremely dangerous man-killers out to get people, or a child getting eaten by one because the owner was too stupid to feed them. Then almost all the comments that follow are by stupid people saying how these animals are too dangerous to ever own and need to be killed off/banned, without ever bothering to even think about the owner having some responsibility.

I've commented on a few of them before and explained this, also mentioning how my own family (back when I lived with them) had a Python for several years and it never hurt anyone, not even our cat back then. He was regularly fed and regularly taken out of the cage. Then right after my comment, more moronic posts show up saying how "anyone who thinks having this animal as a pet is safe needs to <insert retarded cliche insult here>".

Not that I expected words to do anything. Too many fucktards that fail @ reading comprehension and basic logic.